Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Google Butt posted:

Sorry I can't.. I physically can't bring myself to watch anything they produce because it's so incredibly forced and corny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz9dEVNhqrk

Its incredibly pro-click. Its only a minute and a half long and I thought I had accidentally found a troll's edit of it instead.

Holy poo poo thats funny-bad. This is the best thing since CR playing the game, which was in turn the best thing since Citizencon.

I like how at the end in their hilarious comedy skit Ben asks if he can pay real money for a ship that can win every dogfight and they're like lol no of course not. Thats just straight up bullshit, about the only thing normies will know about star citizen is that you can buy spaceships, and they have super expensive dedicated dogfight ships you can pay money for.

I get the mental gymnastics the Shitizens go through to blind themselves to the fact that SC's ship system is the definition of pay2win, since pay2win is bad and SC is good. I get the impression Sandi possibly has no idea what pay2win is while Ben is really stretching his own suspension of disbelief here.

Maybe Sandi does know she's lying and thats why she blinks 300 times in 90 seconds.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the only thing motivating the completion of living nightmare star citizen is to prove derek smart and the SA forums wrong.

the cool thing is they keep getting more and more infantile with their media content and failing to realize that it is insulting and alienating the true believers

thanks for the help sandi

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You don't. What you need are professionals with experience on mocap who will work for far less than Gary Oldman, and then top notch talent voice actors who can overcome the limitations of the medium through the power of their voice.

I've been playing through the mass effect series again lately and it's amazing how much better lance heinriksen is than gary oldman doing basically the same character.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Has this been posted to the thread? It was linked in the CIG Versebuster's thread.

Someone has remixed ATV to try to make it good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNUrAupudi8

e: It's a :five: click for :lol:

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 7, 2016

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Q: do i need to buy a ship to play this game or can i just buy the game?

A: no, you don't need to buy a ship! simply buy our cheapest ship from RSI.com! See you in the 'universe!

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the only thing motivating the completion of living nightmare star citizen is to prove derek smart and the SA forums wrong.

Hehe yea, the game is so pay to win it's not even funny

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Jon Do posted:

I'm imagining Julius Caesar's death scene, but with C-Ro being stabbed by dozens of angry employees.

And instead of covering his face with his toga, our Space-Cesar (SpaceSar?) will cry "Tu quoque, Wulge?" and close his weird Space Bondage Helmet.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

The vp of marketing for 100m game studio cloud imperium games is currently on the clock reading a mock thread on something awful, frantically trying to formulate a counter attack in the form of a corny YouTube video

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You don't. What you need are professionals with experience on mocap who will work for far less than Gary Oldman, and then top notch talent voice actors who can overcome the limitations of the medium through the power of their voice.

Naughty Dog started using mocap with the second of the Uncharted games and they had the voice actors provide the mocap data because they felt that having one person provide the physical acting and another person providing the voice acting would have too much of a disconnect between the performances, but the difference is that they weren't employing AAA-tier Hollywood talent for either. Also they didn't use mocap for things like faces and finger animation, all that stuff was keyframed. There's an article about it here that goes into more detail.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Illegal Move posted:

My favorite part about this is that in the same comment, the guy says that
1) other ships will see crewmen through the windows
2) the main instance will not know where the engineer is standing in the ship instance

ever heard of .jpegs?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Man that versebusters thread is really negative, the worm is definitly turning against CIG.

I kinda wanna see someone do a study on how dumping everyone with complaints into the same subforum affects the community, I imagine it just makes things worse since fans with a complaint have to go to the angry zone and be exposed to negativity rather than having complaints swarmed and downplayed by fans in the other subforums.

eventually the dam will rupture

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i feel like there's a growing trend with all of Star Citizen's official youtube videos of late having rating and comments disabled

feels like a victory

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
I want to believe we live in a world where someone has to approach the VP of marketing of a $100million+ project with the dreaded words "Major Tom has posted a new video."

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Countdown until they put cig twitch streams in subscriber mode and buy chat bots to input softball questions about wing commander and working with mark hammil

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

nopantsjack posted:

Man that versebusters thread is really negative, the worm is definitly turning against CIG.

I kinda wanna see someone do a study on how dumping everyone with complaints into the same subforum affects the community, I imagine it just makes things worse since fans with a complaint have to go to the angry zone and be exposed to negativity rather than having complaints swarmed and downplayed by fans in the other subforums.

I imagine it's a bit like being naughty at school, and being sent to the naughty room with other naughty children.

They don't want the naughty children to interfere with the conditioning of the good children.

nopantsjack posted:

It's not just that thread either. There are a lot of people slowly waking up to the fact that they are in a cult. lol

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Junkozeyne posted:

I want to believe we live in a world where someone has to approach the VP of marketing of a $100million+ project with the dreaded words "Major Tom has posted a new video."

Don't you mean Mark Strong's leading lady?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Google Butt posted:

Countdown until they put cig twitch streams in subscriber mode and buy chat bots to input softball questions about wing commander and working with mark hammil

Do they even have enough regular viewers to be partnered?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

also which one of you motherfuckers is the bird guy on the CIG forums? I love you

e: ahaha people always reply in earnest too, thats the great thing about this feature creep is nobody can tell that a guy whose only interest in star citizen is collecting procedural birds is trolling

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 7, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Junkozeyne posted:

I'm not saying I am the secret sauce but I totally am

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

D_Smart posted:

They don't. And don't have to. It's one massive world that's streamed in chunks.

Then why the hell wouldn't they just do that? There's fidelity, it's fun and it can switch between modes quickly and seamlessly while providing a positive user experience.

I've never made a game, my programming knowledge ends at making .bat files that say the word "Boobs" a bunch while playing the opening to "Funky Town" in beeps, so I have no idea how to make a game, but it seems like there's a good many folks that do. It seems like every problem SC has hit is selfmade and has been solved in countless other games. Why the gently caress are they trying to reinvent the wheel with a series of rube goldberg devices? I get they want seamless poo poo, but it's been done by other companies like Rockstar, Blizzard and even goddam DICE so many times you'd think it wouldn't be the cluster gently caress that it is.

I'm sure I'm naive as gently caress when it comes to the actual process of design and coding, but from my wheelhouse, which is business and personnel management, it seems like almost anyone else could have fixed this by now.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

nopantsjack posted:

also which one of you motherfuckers is the bird guy on the CIG forums? I love you

Cobblers is one the best things to come out of all this hah a

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Wafflz posted:

Do they even have enough regular viewers to be partnered?

fair point sir

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

It is so bad I like it!

As far as the comments section being closed, what are people going to say to that or ask? It is an open and shut statement of fact that should be taken at face value.

"Why enable comments when there's nothing to discuss? Just listen to the video and believe."
-A Cultist

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Booblord Zagats posted:

Then why the hell wouldn't they just do that? There's fidelity, it's fun and it can switch between modes quickly and seamlessly while providing a positive user experience.

I've never made a game, my programming knowledge ends at making .bat files that say the word "Boobs" a bunch while playing the opening to "Funky Town" in beeps, so I have no idea how to make a game, but it seems like there's a good many folks that do. It seems like every problem SC has hit is selfmade and has been solved in countless other games. Why the gently caress are they trying to reinvent the wheel with a series of rube goldberg devices? I get they want seamless poo poo, but it's been done by other companies like Rockstar, Blizzard and even goddam DICE so many times you'd think it wouldn't be the cluster gently caress that it is.

I'm sure I'm naive as gently caress when it comes to the actual process of design and coding, but from my wheelhouse, which is business and personnel management, it seems like almost anyone else could have fixed this by now.

It's Chris's pathological need to have everything in the game in the same engine, in the same space, like in the real world, instead of using the programming tricks that every successful company uses to fantastic effect. And to make sure we all know that they're not using tricks, they have meticulously coded a fuckload of tricks to obscure the fact that nothing works. That, along with Lando's profound announcement that "you're not controlling your ship; you're controlling your man controlling your ship", lets us all know the magic we're in for.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

peter gabriel posted:

I've said from the start, these people do not want a game or gameplay, they are actively opposed to people playing games. They want a safe place to log into at night and forget their lovely lives. They want to stand around a virtual bar looking at each others uniforms, saluting and tossing each other off while saying poo poo like 'Space is harsh Commando' and 'Yes I agree Commando space is harsh that is why I am drinking a whisky in this bar with you by the way I like your uniform'
This is so true, Pgabz. I've heard variations of that very thing from a couple of different people who are in-deep (over $1k). This really is exactly what they want.

Star Citizen is doing it wrong with Arcbar and MMH club and VR is not going to happen because Fidelity > Immersion.

But if somebody made a VR game set inside an intergalactic bar, where you sat in dimly lit booths and chatted with avatars of your VR friends sipping your real life whisky below your VR headset, they would get players galore.

There doesn't have to be an elaborate game mechanic, either-- just a stunning view of ships coming and going, maybe some virtual alien cocktail waitresses, and a grizzled old bartender with an eyepatch who gives you that nod, that you've seen hell too mate, you're welcome here nod that would make them feel like they've a refuge, out there nestled in a backwater nebula, where they're treated like a decorated veteran for enduring the petty kind of bullcrap they put up with day in and out... ('my boss promoted the younger guy with the masters degree', 'my wife keeps bitching about me not helping enough around the house', etc.)

I'm belaboring Pgabz's point and adding little new but drat that really is it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6337192/#Comment_6337192

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6338743/#Comment_6338743

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6339070/#Comment_6339070

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

hes the pgabz of the CIG forums :3

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

peter gabriel posted:

The fact that Cobblers wasn't already a goon, and that Zecumbe was a goon all along are some of my favourite things too :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

nopantsjack posted:

hes the pgabz of the CIG forums :3

I'm rolling out the franchise

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Madcosby posted:

"Why enable comments when there's nothing to discuss? Just listen to the video and believe."
-A Cultist

"Tune in and tune...out!" He said as he slipped on his tri-vid helmet, to watch updates on the development of his favorite game, Star Citizen, in the 22nd century.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

I read that third post three times and I still don't understand what he's on about.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

G0RF posted:

This is so true, Pgabz. I've heard variations of that very thing from a couple of different people who are in-deep (over $1k). This really is exactly what they want.

Star Citizen is doing it wrong with Arcbar and MMH club and VR is not going to happen because Fidelity > Immersion.

But if somebody made a VR game set inside an intergalactic bar, where you sat in dimly lit booths and chatted with avatars of your VR friends sipping your real life whisky below your VR headset, they would get players galore.

There doesn't have to be an elaborate game mechanic, either-- just a stunning view of ships coming and going, maybe some virtual alien cocktail waitresses, and a grizzled old bartender with an eyepatch who gives you that nod, that you've seen hell too mate, you're welcome here nod that would make them feel like they've a refuge, out there nestled in a backwater nebula, where they're treated like a decorated veteran for enduring the petty kind of bullcrap they put up with day in and out... ('my boss promoted the younger guy with the masters degree', 'my wife keeps bitching about me not helping enough around the house', etc.)

I'm belaboring Pgabz's point and adding little new but drat that really is it.

Yup in essence they want this:

http://www.enterprise3dproject.com/

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Scruffpuff posted:

I read that third post three times and I still don't understand what he's on about.

yea that dude is insanely stupid or english is his second language

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

"drat, cobbled again!" -Ben

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFpE3jQtqPI

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Booblord Zagats posted:

To be be ever so slightly fair to CIG, they don't do it because space is a very different environment from a city, in particular in terms of how far you can see and, consequently, what strategies you can employ for cutting the world up into useful chunks.

That said, yes, they do have a faiblesse for the overly complicated, mainly rooted in some romantic notion of how the standard tricks that all games employ to convey the illusion of grand scale are horrible tricks and cheats because… well… that's exactly what they are. They believe that conveying an illusion is a bad thing rather than the rational way of creating something that works; that it must be “real” rather than an illusion; and that it must be made real through pointless simulation of minutiae rather than through tricks and shortcuts that yield the exact same results.

Think of it as the gaming version of the 1960s epics that eventually broke Hollywood: instead of using the tricks of the trade to put an image of some ancient Roman forum on screen with a few cleverly shot extras to make it appear like it was crowded, they built a Roman forum and filled it with a crowd of extras (and for added over-the-top:ness, it was scaled up to be bigger than it ever was in real life).

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 7, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
This guy is naïve to say the very least.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Tippis posted:

To be be ever so slightly fair to CIG, they don't do it because space is a very different environment from a city, in particular in terms of how far you can see and, consequently, what strategies you can employ for cutting the world up into useful chunks.

That said, yes, they do have a faiblesse for the overly complicated, mainly rooted in some romantic notion of how the standard tricks that all games employ to convey the illusion of grand scale are horrible tricks and cheats because… well… that's exactly what they are. They believe that conveying an illusion is a bad thing rather than the rational way of creating something that works; that it must be “real” rather than an illusion; and that it must be made real through pointless simulation of minutiae rather than through tricks and shortcuts that yield the exact same results.

Every time I write something trying to get a concept across, a little later I read one of your posts, and they briefly and eloquently state what I had meant to convey far better than I did. Hats off to you sir.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

1500 posted:

Is it just me or does it look like that face shield cuts into the guys head, when it pivots.

Not if you're Johnny Five Aces.

• Locked thread