Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Habibi
Sep 24, 2009

JHVH-1 posted:

They also added control over the brightness of lights so you can dim them without leaving the sofa when you have a hot date over. Sure to impress the ladies.

Well I'll be goddamned, you're right.

About the lights, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Dr. Habibi posted:

Well I'll be goddamned, you're right.

About the lights, at least.

Girls find you demanding things of your electronic slave with a female voice hot. It shows what you expect of them in the future!

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Grabbed some cheap, end-capped WeMo wall plugs at Target tonight. Apparently I'm not too old or too smart to find turning lamps on with voice commands hilarious.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Grabbed some cheap, end-capped WeMo wall plugs at Target tonight. Apparently I'm not too old or too smart to find turning lamps on with voice commands hilarious.

How much did you end up paying for them?

I have an Echo and a few Hue devices but I haven't done much more than "Alexa, All lights on/off". Is it possible to create scenes?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Legdiian posted:

How much did you end up paying for them?

$25

quote:

I have an Echo and a few Hue devices but I haven't done much more than "Alexa, All lights on/off". Is it possible to create scenes?

No idea, I haven't had time to dive deeper into what they can do.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
I'll have to keep my eyes open next time I'm in Target. That's a smoking deal!

Regis Christ
Mar 27, 2010

"Get it? I'm old!"

Grimey Drawer

Legdiian posted:

You can create groups of lights in the app (I have 'all lights' and 'movie lighting') and control brightness, but as far as I know, you can't control color or set up scenes like you can in the Hue app.

You also can't switch between groups to turn off a sub-set of your lights, which is kind of annoying. For example, when all of my lights are on, saying "turn on movie lighting" doesn't turn off the lights that aren't included in that group.

Regis Christ
Mar 27, 2010

"Get it? I'm old!"

Grimey Drawer
Just saw that Amazon and IFTTT have added custom voice triggers - that essentially extends Echo's functionality to the entire IFTTT library. Pretty cool!

It means that you can set Hue lighting colors with IFTTT, instead of Echo's native Hue connection.

thats the straight dope
Apr 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Can this thing stream audio to an outside device yet? Love it for controlling music but I like listening out of actual speakers. Too bad it doesn't have a simple stereo out or anything.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

weese36 posted:

Can this thing stream audio to an outside device yet? Love it for controlling music but I like listening out of actual speakers. Too bad it doesn't have a simple stereo out or anything.

You might want to look into Chromecast Audio for that.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Some guy on Reddit put Alexa on a $10 Chip that has audio out. Maybe you could hack that together?

quote:

For the 3rd instillment of my “Putting Alexa on all the Things” series I’ve got Alexa up and running on a CHIP.

For those of you that don’t know the CHIP is a bit like the Raspberry Pi, it’s a small, cheap ARM based computer that runs linux and has some input/output pins, I backed the CHIP on kickstarter last May time and had kinda forgotten about it until they turned up in the post on New Year’s Eve :) I also just picked up a Raspberry Pi Zero but for this project the CHIP seemed like a better platform and it was a good opportunity to try it out. The advantages of the CHIP over the Pi zero are that it has onboard WiFi and a built in audio in/out interface (with a small mod) The Pi would have required USB adaptors to have WiFi and the Mic in working along with needing a memory card so although the Pi Zero is $5 and the CHIP is $9 in total BOM the CHIP works out cheapest.

http://sammachin.com/the-10-echo/

Medullah posted:

You might want to look into Chromecast Audio for that.

Or a Fire TV Stick if you have actual speakers hooked up to your TV. It has Alexa built in.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 8, 2016

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I got this as a belated xmas gift from my employer. First off, I am privileged to work at the kind of company I'm at that would give a considerable gift like that. Secondly, holy cow this really is the gadget I didn't know I needed.

• My 20mi work commute has two major options--a big right vs. a big left about a mile from my house--and now she'll give me the best one based on traffic the moment I'm stepping out the door (same with weather but that's a little easier).

• It's a game changer for cooking. The timers, measurement conversion and music twiddling all hands free is a serious quality of life improvement. I have to figure out a way to get her to dictate recipes in a way I can query as I go.

• None of our home has Hue or any of that, but that + the IFTT stuff is clever. An off-the-cuff notion to pick up salsa being added to a trello list or whatever so you can see it next time you're at the store is pretty great.

• We were showing it off to my parents in law who were visiting and after I happened to give Alexa a serious of commands (change the music type, turn it down, etc) my MIL gave me a look and said "Don't get too used to that ordering around business".

• Speaking of which, my wife uses it a bit but more enjoys shouting commands from other rooms to have Alexa stop the music I'm listening to and similar trolling tactics :argh:

• It's a tricky gift you'd pick up around the year because it's a little pricey, but we have friends getting married this spring so I think it might hit the spot as a wedding gift. We'll leave their family members to bring them crap like duvet covers and rice makers.

A+ would be gifted this again

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 12, 2016

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Grab the remote and go in the next room. Then press the button and say "Simon says" followed by whatever you want Alexa to say. Have fun freaking out people that don't know that it is in the room or what it is.

Also a fun game just saying a bunch of gibberish this way and getting it translated into nonsense sentences.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

If you have pets def. try the Simon Says thing. "Scruffy you are a good boy" or whatever gets the same look as if a dog said that to me.

Dbhjed
Jul 20, 2006

Homework?!
Lipstick Apathy

Call Me Charlie posted:

Some guy on Reddit put Alexa on a $10 Chip that has audio out. Maybe you could hack that together?

http://sammachin.com/the-10-echo/

Thank you for posting that! I think I found the first use for my CHIP. I wish it was always listening though. That is the best part of the echo.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
There's a rumor that Amazon is going to launch their own spotify style $9.99 a month music service and offer a discounted rate for Echo owners ($3-4 a month)

quote:

Amazon is prepping a Spotify-killer, music sources tell The Post.

The e-commerce giant has held meetings in the past few weeks to discuss licensing tunes for a full-blown subscription music service that would ape streaming music market leaders Spotify and Apple Music, several sources confirmed.
[...]
Amazon’s vice president of digital music, Steve Boom, is spearheading plans for the subscription service, sources said.
[...]

Amazon is currently discussing a $9.99-per-month fee for its planned streaming service, sources tell The Post, although a discount $3- to $4-a-month price if bundled with Echo is also under consideration.

The company is prepping for a fall launch, one source told The Post.

http://nypost.com/2016/01/27/bezos-set-to-expand-empire-to-take-on-spotify-sources/

Prime Music will continue to exist alongside this new program.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Call Me Charlie posted:

Prime Music will continue to exist alongside this new program.

What would be different about it?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Prime Music doesn't let you just play a random song you don't own, right?

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

smackfu posted:

Prime Music doesn't let you just play a random song you don't own, right?

It does. The only thing I can think of that this could be for is people who want the Amazon music, but don't want Prime. Got to be a small subset.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It depends on the song and the licensing. When I tried to play a couple of the Mountain Goats' biggest hits, they weren't available, although less-popular songs were. Over Christmas, Bing Crosby's White Christmas wasn't there, and to add insult to injury the search function found a horrible karaoke version and played that. Many fewer classical performances aren't licensed. Note that actually owning a song and thus having it in your Amazon Prime library doesn't mean it's available for streaming: that's a separate license.

I'd say at least 80% of the time I got the song I wanted; my tastes run to indie. And God, the classical search is horrible, even for things I own.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Super Dude posted:

What would be different about it?

Larger selection.

Prime Music = a decent collection of select albums/songs that are free to listen to
Untitled New Music Program = a much larger (spotify sized) collection of free albums/songs that you pay an extra $3-10 a month for
Amazon Music Storage Subscription = $24.99 a year to upload all of your personal music into Amazon's cloud

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Note that actually owning a song and thus having it in your Amazon Prime library doesn't mean it's available for streaming: that's a separate license.

Not true. Whatever you upload into your Prime library is available for streaming. Regardless of license or legality (I have a ton of bootlegs in my cloud and I can call them all up on my Echo)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 31, 2016

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much
While Amazon may be trying to eventually kill Spotify, that isn't stopping it from being buddies in the meantime, Spotify is now a fully integrated service for the echo, no more Bluetooth needed.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

mikemil828 posted:

While Amazon may be trying to eventually kill Spotify, that isn't stopping it from being buddies in the meantime, Spotify is now a fully integrated service for the echo, no more Bluetooth needed.

Does this only work with Spotify Premium? Or can free users of Spotify also use this service (without Bluetooth)?

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

saltylopez posted:

Does this only work with Spotify Premium? Or can free users of Spotify also use this service (without Bluetooth)?

The email I got about it says this:

"In addition to Prime Music, Pandora, iHeartRadio, and TuneIn, Spotify Premium subscribers can now listen to their favorite playlists, genres, and over 30 million songs from the Spotify catalog on Echo."

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

saltylopez posted:

Spotify Premium only.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

mikemil828 posted:

Well Amazon will eventually be all things, and usurp all profit, in the world. So may as well embrace it.

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Taima posted:

Well Amazon will eventually be all things, and usurp all profit, in the world. So may as well embrace it.
Makes me wonder if Amazon is on the cusp of purchasing Spotify.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Sneeze Party posted:

Makes me wonder if Amazon is on the cusp of purchasing Spotify.

Or Pandora or uber or dominos... I wouldn't take integrations as potentials buys

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Buying a new music service would require them to port all of its infrastructure to Amazon and throw away all the effort they've put into Amazon Prime. It's been done before (Google and Youtube), but requires you to admit your existing solution is a failure. Also, it's not clear whether Spotify's licenses will be transferable to any buyer.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can Alexa on like a $50 Fire tablet do the same things as Echo? Like instead of buying Echo for every room, could you just buy a bunch of Fire tablets and keep them plugged in and listening for commands?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

EugeneJ posted:

Can Alexa on like a $50 Fire tablet do the same things as Echo? Like instead of buying Echo for every room, could you just buy a bunch of Fire tablets and keep them plugged in and listening for commands?

There's no Alexa on $50 Fire tablets so no.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
You can, however, run Alexa on a Raspberry Pi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frH9HaQTFL8

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

benisntfunny posted:

Or Pandora or uber or dominos... I wouldn't take integrations as potentials buys
Except that Amazon doesn't provide rides or pizzas (yet). Purchasing Spotify would be a quick way to dramatically increase their music streaming licenses... if those licenses would be transferable.

edit: Yes, I know that this is extremely unlikely.

Sneeze Party fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 7, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Alexa is, however, on Fire TV sticks, which run $40 at the moment, $50 with voice remote.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Shouldn't the end-game of this be that in a few years smart phones have high-quality external speakers that cooperate with Siri/Alexa/Cortana?

Is the speaker quality of Echo any good for music?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

EugeneJ posted:

Shouldn't the end-game of this be that in a few years smart phones have high-quality external speakers that cooperate with Siri/Alexa/Cortana?

I have a very small house 900 square feet) but it's good enough quality to hear all throughout. I frequently listen to my local radio station morning show on TuneIn and I can hear even in the basement.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

EugeneJ posted:

It's mono. Makes me happy for pop songs, but would make an audiophile cry.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

EugeneJ posted:

No. Amazon got smashed out of the phone game and they've moved on to cornering the smart home market. Having an omnipresent thing centered in your home that's directly tied into Amazon's ecosystem (another thing that disconnects customers from the concept of money when ordering items) is more important than having it on smartphones.

They're taking the Android approach. Make it open. Make it free. Get everyone's support by default.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe they're waiting to put GPS in the Fire tablets before they enable Alexa on them?

They're going to have to compete with Siri/Cortana at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's mono. Makes me happy for pop songs, but would make an audiophile cry.

How much does mono matter if it's a single speaker? It seems like you would need to go up to something like a Sonos to get two speaker wireless stereo.