Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Booblord Zagats posted:

She's still a bad actress.

Proof that experience doesn't equal skill I suppose

Never said she was good. Just saying it wasn't her relationship to Spielburg that got her her jobs. Unlike, say, Sandi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Bootcha posted:

Ugh, while napping before my hockey game tonight, I had a Star Citizen dream where Erin Roberts accidentally BCC'ed me in an email to Goons vehemently defending Sandi's abilities and role in SC and SQ42 development, as well as claiming her past transgressions as patently false, and finally saying that Goons like us are the kind of trash that kill video games.

To my credit, I responded back to him about the allegations.

And I signed the email with PAAAAAAAARP.

loving video games man.

Ash1138 posted:

the other week i had a dream where i was in that one ship with the TV in the cockpit and the whole ship was falling apart around me

i poo poo you not

grimcreaper posted:

Man.. You help destroy the game in your dreams, just like IRL. Good to know the game of DREAM is living up to its idea.

I also dreamed about Star Citizen's unfortunate real-life implications a while back. I had a nightmare that Sandi, et al, were in court and trying to pin Bootcha to the wall (since that's almost certainly what that anonymous "there's actually a disgruntled third party" BS was about). Bootcha woke me up, and I held on to him tight while reminding myself that of course they couldn't possibly prove anything since he didn't do anything wrong anyway and besides, he's been separated from the project for a while now.

Bootcha posted:

The general consensus was that Elijah painted a target on his back. I don't disagree with that assessment, but looking back on it I wonder if it wasn't a symptom of something else going on.

OF COURSE it was. It sounds to me like Elijah was trying to get some actual work done instead of going out to eat at a nice steakhouse for a self-congratulatory circlejerk. Ahem. Not saying Elijah acted in his own best interest, but I certainly understand his resentment at not having his own work acknowledged.

I'm sorry. I'm much more cynical about Star Citizen than Bootcha is. The sad part is, all my cynicism has thus far been rewarded. :(

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Liu posted:

still can't come to terms with the fact that sandi is "acting" alongside gary oldman, mark strong and gillian anderson. I hope this project collapses, it would be terrible for sandi to get actual work after this due to this bullshit.

Sandi will be the only one to put SC on their CV.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Chalks posted:

To be fair the guy who was typing it was apparently having a stroke at the same time.

I think it's a c+p of the first item in a numbered list with lowercase Roman numerals :goonsay:

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

darkarchon posted:

There is literally no loving way they will be able to pull that off in some decent kind of way. Speaking as a (non-game) developer, Netcode per se is a giant clusterfuck. What they are trying to achieve is the supernova version of that clusterfuck. There are so many technical hurdles I don't even know where to start.

I personally believe that QuakeWorld and its descendants have the best netcode. Maybe CRobbers can download the GPL'd Quake engine and learn how to create playable servers over 56k phone lines.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Please, after you.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
this guy gets it.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6339974/#Comment_6339974

e;fb!

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

osker posted:

I personally believe that QuakeWorld and its descendants have the best netcode. Maybe CRobbers can download the GPL'd Quake engine and learn how to create playable servers over 56k phone lines.

Perhaps they can go back to text adventures. Imagination is the best immersion!

YOU WAKE UP IN A BED. YOU ARE A SPACEMAN.
>

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Rhubarb94 posted:

Please, after you.

:lurkmore:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

boethius posted:

>

> HELMET

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fuzzknot posted:

trying to pin Bootcha to the wall

my fetish, etc

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

I think this guy will actually find that Star Citizen has only been in development for a month and a half, as opposed to the development cycle of Elite Dangerous which has been ongoing since 1933

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

That's Karl, from what's he said which I believe to be true he has a wife and a young child. He's given over $5k to this project and has some kind of weird fixation on the wife of the company chairman.

I'm not judging, I have a weird fixation with Star Citizen too, but I'm at least enjoying myself laughing at all the idiots instead of feeling bad for a millionaire company VP that seems to spend half her time jet setting around the world hanging with film/tv stars.

Karl to be honest, leaving aside the issue of how successful legal action against internet people being mean would be, I'm not entirely sure she'd have time for all that due to all the auditions, script readings etc, something just has to take a back seat.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Solomonic posted:

I think this guy will actually find that Star Citizen has only been in development for a month and a half, as opposed to the development cycle of Elite Dangerous which has been ongoing since 1933

lol

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wait, they've started star citizen development? i was waiting for them to launch a kickstarter

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

boethius posted:

>

> Look
YOU SEE A BOOK, A TOWEL, A DRILL AND AN UNIDENTIFIED BOX
> Pick up drill
IT APPEARS TO BE NAILED TO THE TABLE
> Pick up towel
> Look at towel
THE TOWEL LOOKS LIKE AN OVER USED REFERENCE TO A SCIENCE FICTION NOVEL
> Get out of bed
YOU GRADUALLY GET OUT OF BED
PLEASE WAIT...
PLEASE WAIT...
PLEASE WAIT...
PLEASE WAIT...

*edit* I actually want to make this game now

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

Chalks posted:

> Look
> Pick up drill
> Pick up towel
> Look at towel
> Get out of bed
PLEASE WAIT...
PLEASE WAIT...
PLEASE WAIT...
PLEASE WAIT...

Already more compelling than the PU.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Tippis posted:

> HELMET
Your helmet cannot be opened.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

> NOCLIP
ALREADY ACTIVE.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

Was Bootcha able to get his money back out, or has he just accepted that he's not getting a return on his investment.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chalks posted:

> Look
> Pick up drill
> Pick up towel
> Look at towel
> Get out of bed
PLEASE WAIT...
PLEASE WAIT...
PLEASE WAIT...
PLEASE WAIT...

*edit* I actually want to make this game now

> Exit room
STAR CITIZEN HAS STOPPED WORKING

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
>Do some acting : You try your best but you can't stop blinking.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
If every post in this thread was converted into a usable line of code we would have the best drat space ship game ever now.

drat you goons for wasting your energy mocking when we should be aspiring to greatness.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Kramjacks posted:

Was Bootcha able to get his money back out

yes

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Daztek posted:

> Exit room
STAR CITIZEN HAS STOPPED WORKING

Hmmmmm… is there a way to intentionally trigger a genuine “…has stopped working” error in Windows, and can it be done from command-line applications?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

KM Scorchio posted:

If every post in this thread was converted into a usable line of code we would have the best drat space ship game ever now.

drat you goons for wasting your energy mocking when we should be aspiring to greatness.

How are you going to harness these forces to make anything productive?

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Eonwe posted:

my fetish, etc

His, too. :wiggle:

Kramjacks posted:

Was Bootcha able to get his money back out, or has he just accepted that he's not getting a return on his investment.

He did. No interest or profit, but as he said at the time, he really didn't care about profit by that point but just wanted OUT.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Star Citizen's development started four years before it was released

gently caress the haters

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Hey quick Diamond Frogs update!

Wow, got a big influx of Star Ex-Pats applying to Inara and the DF Discord, so I am scrambling to organize things a bit. I am giving everyone from here a temporary "role" (set of custom permissions) of "Stellar Commandos" so I can get an idea who is new. I'll be applying to older backers who jumped ship a while back, mostly because I am curious how many people left SC for a game that is already into its first expansion.

I'll throw in a bonus, and give Stellar Commandos a special secret channel, tentatively called #dereks-smarties

There has been a #starcitizen for months, actually - we use it for posting recipes and cats, in the spirit of this thread - but I figure you guys on Derek's payroll would appreciate an additional place to operate that "Deep Market" for LTI ship trading etc I heard all about.

It will take a couple of days to set it all up, so bear with me!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Tippis posted:

> HELMET

>Star Citizen has stopped working.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

How are you going to harness these forces to make anything productive?

Well you see each neckbearded retard will have his own personal instance allowing for greater fideli[posterst own liver gains sentience and leaps up via his spinal column to strangle him] ugh gh argh.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Wafflz posted:

>Star Citizen has stopped working.

That implies it worked in the first place. :iamafag:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crefrdPJ_Kg

:chanpop: :captainpop:

"I'm alive but I don't know what's going on!"

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Samizdata posted:

Never said she was good. Just saying it wasn't her relationship to Spielburg that got her her jobs. Unlike, say, Sandi?

Ah, gotcha

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

If you knew anything about game development you'd understand that it's perfectly normal to fecklessly blow money on b list actors and motion capture studios in order to find your own stunted dreams of being a big shot Hollywood dude.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
take that back

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

osker posted:

I know you're kidding but I think the selection of Illfonic for FPS tells you everything about how Chris views the matter. Illfonic was chosen by Chris specifically because they had made a CryEngine-based rebuild of the Quake-mod (DarkPlaces) based shooter Nexuiz. I can't speak to the quality of the game but the videos at least have the lovably manic Quakisn Pace down...

So Chris probably figured, "Great I'll get the best of both worlds-- speed and fun of Quake with Crysis-level fidelity, too!"

And ($xx) million dollars later... He's got two guns sort of working, jank rag doll animations, no limb damage states, jank physics, no FPS and a fanboy lapdog that attacks people who point out the stupidity of all the aforementioned by calling them trolls...

G0RF fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

welp

• Locked thread