Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Though, considering Sprint has to rely on competitors to actually get poo poo done, you can't blame them completely for the rollout issues considering how terrible Verizon/AT&T are as Service Providers in the wired world.

Unless there is competition in an area, they won't upgrade crap, and in this case, why help your competition by actually getting something done for them. You think they are loosing out at the bill Sprint would pay them to get it done?

In a perfect world for them, it would be 1/2 Verizon 1/2 AT&T, and we all would only get 1G/$100 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

Though, considering Sprint has to rely on competitors to actually get poo poo done, you can't blame them completely for the rollout issues considering how terrible Verizon/AT&T are as Service Providers in the wired world.

Unless there is competition in an area, they won't upgrade crap, and in this case, why help your competition by actually getting something done for them. You think they are loosing out at the bill Sprint would pay them to get it done?

In a perfect world for them, it would be 1/2 Verizon 1/2 AT&T, and we all would only get 1G/$100 each.

I was selling Sprint through the WiMAX rollout, Nextel management and decommission, and the beginning of the LTE rollout. It was horrendously managed.

I agree they are already at a disadvantage, but T-mobile succeeding is proof that Sprint took the wrong directions and keeps completely bungling their network.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Duckman2008 posted:

I was selling Sprint through the WiMAX rollout, Nextel management and decommission, and the beginning of the LTE rollout. It was horrendously managed.

I agree they are already at a disadvantage, but T-mobile succeeding is proof that Sprint took the wrong directions and keeps completely bungling their network.

Me too.

And I still am

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Just got a text my wife sent me two days ago.

SERO or not, I think we need to jump ship. GG Sprint.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I guess experiences and of course it still looks grim, but Sprint has gotten immensely better for me and nothing look better to go to for me here. However while Microwave might sound like a joke (and was years ago) after switching to a microwave Internet provider for my parents house (6 telephone poles away from having Wave cable = $20K to get installed), the connection couldn't be better. Similar latency to DSL, No Bandwidth limit, and while they pay for 12/6 they get more like 20-30/7 which is fantastic and even during some of the storms recently it has not hickuped once outside of days they are working on the main AP.

With the way the fiber rollout has been across the US, I wouldn't be surprised if more Cell companies and ISP's go with the Microwave option off of the backbone of non AT&T/Verizon companies since they are such crap companies to drag any expansion out of.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Ferret King posted:

Even if you need to use a lot of voice, it would probably still be less painful to do VOIP on the T-Mo nerd plan than it would be to continue on SERO.

Sprint is turning into the black-and-white bumbling part of every as-seen-on-TV commercial.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The Ferret King posted:

I've had this happen with MMSs, but never SMSs.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

td4guy posted:

I've had this happen with MMSs, but never SMSs.

It's been happening to me for years. It's always "my problem."

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I can't send an MMS at all unless I'm on Wi-Fi. :(

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

EdEddnEddy posted:

I guess experiences and of course it still looks grim, but Sprint has gotten immensely better for me and nothing look better to go to for me here. However while Microwave might sound like a joke (and was years ago) after switching to a microwave Internet provider for my parents house (6 telephone poles away from having Wave cable = $20K to get installed), the connection couldn't be better. Similar latency to DSL, No Bandwidth limit, and while they pay for 12/6 they get more like 20-30/7 which is fantastic and even during some of the storms recently it has not hickuped once outside of days they are working on the main AP.

With the way the fiber rollout has been across the US, I wouldn't be surprised if more Cell companies and ISP's go with the Microwave option off of the backbone of non AT&T/Verizon companies since they are such crap companies to drag any expansion out of.

Yeah I'm actually very happy with Sprint for the first time in probably six or seven years and it's entirely due to moving to a town where I can pull down a consistent 70+ mbps of unlimited data. If either the unlimited or the speed part changes, I'm instantly breaking contract and going elsewhere. But for now, I'm quite happy paying $60/month or so for what's essentially a cell service/home ISP combo package.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I did it. I dumped Sprint for Verizon. See ya suckers!

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The funny thing is in Sacramento, sure Verizon has pretty much 100% LTE coverage, but all the speeds seem to be around 3G (1-2Mbitish). And everyone in my family on Verizon has a nice little cap of about 2G each. Yuck. (Hat that new commercial about the "Bigger Door" What they don't show is how that door has a gate and a counter...)

The 3G Speeds for Sprint have actually stabilize around 1-3Mbit and the 4G is consistently 4Mbit+ at my home (which is still a weak signal for LTE but better than a year ago, and I finally have better home wifi that I don't need it as much) but at work and around town I am able to hit 10-40Mbit reliably indoors and while there are holes here and there. Holding out with them has been pretty good for me, even getting a Nexus 6P Sim and getting it activated was reasonably painless.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I thought sprint divested themselves of all their towers some years back ? Can't move things you don't own.

Microwave backhaul is interesting in that you can, if proper, go around all the obstructions that can make fiber construction expensive. Then again those sites are on copper T1 or BRI anyways so a path exists ?

I flushed Sprint for cricket and haven't looked back. From the last few years of NEXTEL onward they were a constant poo poo show, under construction, upgrading, etc...

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Partycat posted:

I flushed Sprint for cricket and haven't looked back. From the last few years of NEXTEL onward they were a constant poo poo show, under construction, upgrading, etc...

How's the change been? Any downsides so far? Do you notice the 8Mbps speed cap? This is basically what I'm planning on doing, but moving a group of 9 people over.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have had my Samsung S5 for over a year now, are there any deals going on for current customers where they can make an upgrade? If not then I have to wait until this December to get a new phone. I really want to jump over to an iPhone.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks to Asurion, I recently exchanged my smashed Nexus 5 for an HTC One E8. What is a good choice of protective case for this phone? Preferably something that isn't too bulky.

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Are Sprint corporate stores really not supposed to touch SERO accounts at all or was I getting the runaround from the CSR? I have a Nexus 5X I need a SIM card for and activation and they wouldn't even look at it and told me to call customer service. This store has activated a phone for me in the recent past, and the CSR said they weren't supposed to have done that. Now I have to wait 2-5 business days for a SIM card to come in the mail.

If I wasn't still on SERO I'd be long gone from Sprint.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Are Sprint corporate stores really not supposed to touch SERO accounts at all or was I getting the runaround from the CSR? I have a Nexus 5X I need a SIM card for and activation and they wouldn't even look at it and told me to call customer service. This store has activated a phone for me in the recent past, and the CSR said they weren't supposed to have done that. Now I have to wait 2-5 business days for a SIM card to come in the mail.

It was similar for me with my 6P. Easiest way is to call *2 and get someone who understands what a Nexus 5X is (id look up the number for the SIM that's required on the 5X/6P and make sure they get you the right one).

They overnighted mine and after 2 connections to their online chat (First guy did drop the ball and disconnected chat too early, the 2nd guy was fantastic and stayed on until I got the phone activated and confirmed working.) and everything been dandy since.

30+ GB a month, I am never leaving SERO.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

I have an EPRP (Everything Plus Referral Program) account, the successor to SERO, and I was able to grab a SIM for a Nexus 6p from a local Sprint RadioShack. As it was explained to me, these are now considered corporate locations and not a third party or authorized retailer like Sprint-branded mall kiosks or Best Buy are. Granted, the sales person tried giving me the wrong SIM version and I had to look it up online and give him the correct part #, but everything worked out.

Here's the Sprint employee plan care line: (866) 264-1282. They're the ones who directed me to a Sprint RadioShack. Make sure the store you tried isn't a third-party store or kiosk ambiguously branding itself as a Sprint store. You may have better luck using the Sprint website's store locator to find a repair store. http://storelocator.sprint.com/

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib

goku chewbacca posted:

Here's the Sprint employee plan care line: (866) 264-1282. They're the ones who directed me to a Sprint RadioShack. Make sure the store you tried isn't a third-party store or kiosk ambiguously branding itself as a Sprint store. You may have better luck using the Sprint website's store locator to find a repair store. http://storelocator.sprint.com/

This is definitely a corporate store. I probably should have pressed it a little harder, but the guy I was talking to was not being very helpful and the manager had just finished berating another customer, so I doubt I would have gotten anywhere without calling a Sprint care line.

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
I'm on SERO and my Galaxy S3 just kicked the bucket. Looking at the Upgrade page it seems the Sprint store has completely gotten rid of the Galaxy S5? My only real choices seem to be an S6 or an iPhone.

My question is, can I use my upgrade to get an iPhone and then just sell it unactivated for cold hard cash? I must have a smartphone with an SD card slot, even if I have to buy it second-hand. Converting my upgrade to cash would help with this.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Xenin posted:

I'm on SERO and my Galaxy S3 just kicked the bucket. Looking at the Upgrade page it seems the Sprint store has completely gotten rid of the Galaxy S5? My only real choices seem to be an S6 or an iPhone.

I got the LGG4 after my note 3 bit it, and love it.

Speaking of, there's a system update for it. Should I do it? They always seemed to make my Samsungs worse.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Xenin posted:

My question is, can I use my upgrade to get an iPhone and then just sell it unactivated for cold hard cash? I must have a smartphone with an SD card slot, even if I have to buy it second-hand. Converting my upgrade to cash would help with this.

The S7 is coming out in like, a month if you can hold out. Buy some cheap phone for a month or two. The S7 is strongly rumored to have a SD card slot.

I'm not a big fan, but LG phones have a SD card slot and aren't awful.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003

RodShaft posted:

I got the LGG4 after my note 3 bit it, and love it.

Speaking of, there's a system update for it. Should I do it? They always seemed to make my Samsungs worse.

The G4 update blocks free tethering/hotspot, so I haven't updated mine.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Xenin posted:

I'uestion is, can I use my upgrade to get an iPhone and then just sell it unactivated for cold hard cash?

I'm planning to do the same thing. From what I've read, Sprint's recent Financial Eligibility Check (FEC) policy will prevent your buyer from activating it on an MVNO like Ting or RingPlus that uses the Sprint's network and devices. You or your buyer won't be able to get the device released from FEC or get a SIM-unlock for the 2 year contract period. However, it should freely activate on another person's Sprint postpay account. I'd advertise it as such to avoid any kind of dispute or chargeback.

Ting, RingPlus, and FreedomPop each provide a Bring Your Own Device check tool on their websites for you to verify that it fails FEC.

Buy online, and you should be able to sell it brand new and sealed. When it arrives, make sure you activate it on the website and then reactivate your old phone to untie it from your account.

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
You know I've been shunning LG devices for years but the G4 seems like a completely competent rival to the S6. I had no idea it had a MicroSD card slot. I'd assumed every current flagship phone had dropped them.

That leather backside on the G4 looks fan-loving-tastic as well. I think I might just pull the trigger on this instead of waiting for the S7.

RodShaft, did you have a pretty easy time transitioning away from TouchWiz? I know it was never the best interface, but it's been with me since the beginning and I'm afraid of letting go.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Xenin posted:

RodShaft, did you have a pretty easy time transitioning away from TouchWiz? I know it was never the best interface, but it's been with me since the beginning and I'm afraid of letting go.

Yes. I had almost exclusively used HTC smart phones and only moved to Samsung when there was no good HTC tablet phone. I hated the Samsung interface the entire time, but I loved my big screen. LG's is WAY more intuitive.

lazydog posted:

The G4 update blocks free tethering/hotspot, so I haven't updated mine.
I didn't know it did it free. I've not had a need for teathering in years, and even now i can't imagine a circumstance where I'd use it anymore, but now I'm still holding off. Hell I connect to WiFi with my phone more often than not because it's faster than Sprint data.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Xenin posted:

You know I've been shunning LG devices for years but the G4 seems like a completely competent rival to the S6. I had no idea it had a MicroSD card slot. I'd assumed every current flagship phone had dropped them.

And it has a removable battery. I'm considering it, but not digging that curve.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Is the One M9 even worth considering? I managed to wreck my Nexus 5s screen and am going to burn my upgrade. I really want something as close to stock Android as possible, but I really miss visual voicemail. No Samsung though, I'll switch to an iPhone first.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

moolchaba posted:

And it has a removable battery. I'm considering it, but not digging that curve.

G4 isn't curved.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Q_res posted:

Is the One M9 even worth considering? I managed to wreck my Nexus 5s screen and am going to burn my upgrade. I really want something as close to stock Android as possible, but I really miss visual voicemail. No Samsung though, I'll switch to an iPhone first.

Not particularly. It exists, it isn't terrible, but it isn't an improvement over the M8, really, save the fingerprint reader that had security problems. The M8 just got Marshmallow-- if you can find one, you've got a fairly comparable phone for much cheaper. (Assuming you don't mind that the M8 is coming up on its 2-year mark and is likely to not get any more updates.)

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Wilford Cutlery posted:

G4 isn't curved.

The back is, but any case you put it in fixes that if it bothers you... Personally I just want a case with a stand that has steel it whatever in it to stick to my magnet mounts. The curved back doesn't bother me.

Xenin
Nov 5, 2004
From what I've read the curved back actually makes it exceedingly comfortable to hold. Also it may not be the safest, but I feel like that leather backside is so gorgeous I'll never case my G4.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Which of the MVNOs is best for just enough data for a single app (housemate has an iphone and wants to do amazon deliveries, however they require an android phone for their app) i have a sprint GS3 i'm willing to donate to the cause.
I have no idea how much data the app would generate, assuming it's just addresses and not the mapping feature itself.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

toplitzin posted:

Which of the MVNOs is best for just enough data for a single app (housemate has an iphone and wants to do amazon deliveries, however they require an android phone for their app) i have a sprint GS3 i'm willing to donate to the cause.
I have no idea how much data the app would generate, assuming it's just addresses and not the mapping feature itself.

Check out RingPlus, FreedomPop, and Ting. They all support BYOD, the first two have completely free plans with 500 meg data included (though watch the overage fees) and Ting has a "pay what you use" pricing model.

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 7, 2016

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Are Sprint corporate stores really not supposed to touch SERO accounts at all or was I getting the runaround from the CSR?
Whether or not they're "supposed to", SERO accounts are oddball from the store perspective, and even when they want to help, it's been problematic in past experience. Of course, you really just want a SIM card and it would be easy enough for a store to hand you one, but I think they have a policy of not having people walk out of the door with SIMs/devices that aren't active and working.

To be fair, I've run into the exact same crap with Verizon. I needed a new SIM to use for one month of prepaid iPad data ($20) but they wouldn't give me a SIM unless I was activating it on a postpaid account.

Anyways, I found it a straightforward experience to call Sprint and ask them to mail a SIM card. It takes a few days, but if you do it at the time you order the device, it's not so bad.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The best way to deal with anything SERO is to call the SERO support number and just work through that. Any involvement of any other number or store and you might run into some stupid form of hurt.

Also though the G4 and M9 are competent devices, all of the new devices like the G5, S7, and M10 are right around the corner. So it might be worth waiting if you can and just pick up a cheap device on Swapp or something just to tide you over if you are down without a device.

Then you can decide if the new stuff is worth buying, or getting one of the older ones when they are discounted even further.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

sirbeefalot posted:

How's the change been? Any downsides so far? Do you notice the 8Mbps speed cap? This is basically what I'm planning on doing, but moving a group of 9 people over.

It's more like a 8Mb speed boost. Consistent, and very reliable. ATT also (along with Verizon) funds various DAS systems so large venues sometimes give you a chance at having working service. I do go to Canada on occasion, and it does not roam there.

Kase Im Licht
Jan 26, 2001

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Thanks to Asurion, I recently exchanged my smashed Nexus 5 for an HTC One E8. What is a good choice of protective case for this phone? Preferably something that isn't too bulky.

Did they give you options for what phone you could replace it with? I just had to replace mine, and Asurion didn't give me a choice other than replacing my Nexus 5 with a Galaxy Mega and I hate this giant piece of poo poo phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I went thru the replacement steps on Asurion's website and was offered some LG phone, can't remember what. I called and asked if I could have something with WiFi calling, they offered me the E8. They said I could have something even nicer if I paid a higher deductible.