Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

The Goatfather posted:

i think you guys are actually a lot more committed to this bitcoin thing than i am

How many Goatse coins do you own, Goatfather?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

QuarkJets posted:

you called people creepy for laughing at the many hilarious situations created by bitcoin

the one that occurs at some point during any gbs "x sucks" thread where repetitive insularity and earnest negativity begin to make the posters more hosed up and weird than their topic

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

whoflungpoop posted:

the one that occurs at some point during any gbs "x sucks" thread where repetitive insularity and earnest negativity begin to make the posters more hosed up and weird than their topic

this is a special case where that's not actually possible

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

whoflungpoop posted:

This thread makes me very angry but I can't stop myself from posting in it

Translated that for you.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Pochoclo posted:

I live in Argentina, which is not a terrible shithole by any means, but has had lovely protectionist governments. We have a banking system. But sending money to another countries is extremely difficult, and is completely impossible through the normal banking system. I know this because I'm moving to England in a couple months and I'm struggling to find a reasonable way to get my savings there (because I can't bring more than 10 thousand USD on my person). There's a roundabout system with bonds or some poo poo but I'll need to be settled there first, then come back and do it personally from here.

Western Union has a 500 USD daily limit, heavy fees, and a monthly limit I don't know yet but should probably be low.

I still wouldn't use bitcoin. I'd rather just spend the 2k USD for each roundtrip on a plane and bring 10k on me every time.

Look into Hawala (I'm not kidding).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawala

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Translated that for you.
u seem like the kind of guy whose colon is home to an assortment of rings and watches

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
Bitcoin is a pretty nifty solution to a crypto-currency engineering problem. Reading Satoshi brings back memories of reading Bram Cohen's talking about the design principles of BitTorrent back in the day. Goons are pretty negative about what is actually a very fascinating novelty imho. :shobon:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Luxury Communism posted:

Bitcoin is a pretty nifty solution to a crypto-currency engineering problem. Reading Satoshi brings back memories of reading Bram Cohen's talking about the design principles of BitTorrent back in the day. Goons are pretty negative about what is actually a very fascinating novelty imho. :shobon:

It's fine as a software novelty, and if it had stayed that most of us never would have heard about it. It's the numbskulls who try to turn it into a get rich quick scheme who get well deserved mockery here.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I dont get it how do you get rich quick if you putting all your real money into imaginary money. Seems like a boring con and the only reason anyone would ever support it or encourage others to get in on it is because they themselves are in on the con. Maybe its the online drugs thing but I was under the impression/assumption that that was NOT the original intended use of the technology.

I made CyberDollars, you paypal me real money and I type an equivalent amount of CyberDollars into a database. Enjoy your CyberDollars. Does it come with an eBook pdf with 10 easy steps to success in starting a cryptocurrency business and revolutionizing the global economy, as well as a free newletter subscription to get 'Business Inisghts' from the pioneers?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
I guess some really do believe in Bitcoin. I guess some also try to gamble the market while it is going, expecting to get out in time.

Research shows that during instability of the stock market, you can make money by riding the ups and downs. You can even make more money than the people just holding on to their stocks. In the same way you can also make money by riding the ups and down of Bitcoin, a Ponzi scheme or the lottery. Also more than the ones not playing.

People tend to overestimate their own abilities. They assume they will be the ones winning and not be the suckers. The suckers would be the ones selling after or buying just before the big crash or not purchasing immediately before the big rise. It would be the ones getting in too late on the Ponzi scheme.

The Bitcoiners are invested in the dream and desperately want to seem themselves as the smart people getting in early on Bitcoin rather than the ones getting in after the crash. They believe they are among the smart ones and seeing themselves as the suckers losing out in the end is cognitively dissonant with their self-image, forcing them to believe even stronger in their idiocy.

We, on the other hand, can feel smug we were not among the suckers. We are a bit jealous of those making big money riding the ups and downs so we tell ourselves we always knew it was a scam.

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

klafbang posted:

I guess some really do believe in Bitcoin. I guess some also try to gamble the market while it is going, expecting to get out in time.

Research shows that during instability of the stock market, you can make money by riding the ups and downs. You can even make more money than the people just holding on to their stocks. In the same way you can also make money by riding the ups and down of Bitcoin, a Ponzi scheme or the lottery. Also more than the ones not playing.

People tend to overestimate their own abilities. They assume they will be the ones winning and not be the suckers. The suckers would be the ones selling after or buying just before the big crash or not purchasing immediately before the big rise. It would be the ones getting in too late on the Ponzi scheme.

The Bitcoiners are invested in the dream and desperately want to seem themselves as the smart people getting in early on Bitcoin rather than the ones getting in after the crash. They believe they are among the smart ones and seeing themselves as the suckers losing out in the end is cognitively dissonant with their self-image, forcing them to believe even stronger in their idiocy.

We, on the other hand, can feel smug we were not among the suckers. We are a bit jealous of those making big money riding the ups and downs so we tell ourselves we always knew it was a scam.

Isn't he adorable? :3:

Can I keep him? Please? I promise to feed him, clean up after him and take him for his walkies every day!

Pleeease, mom? He's such a cute little thing! Pleeeese?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Even the just plain dumb people aren't so bad. Luckily Bitcoin keeps attracting reprehensible shitstains who keep doing things like stealing electricity, gambling their kid's college fund, day trading with their sister's inheritance, losing family funds without telling the spouse, or evangelizing and trying to get old people to "invest" their retirement savings. At least most of the people into Pogs or Beanie Babies didn't try to take everyone they know down with them. Even before the outright scammers, druggies, and CP fans there is a lot of scummy behavior associated with Bitcoin.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Luxury Communism posted:

"technically interesting" is a term meaning "what the hell even is that" or "I ain't even mad, that's amazing". It does not in fact translate to "actually of practical use for any bloody thing."

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Yeah if SHA-256 coins were practical in any way you'd think they would have been considered by the for real governments and banks that are researching cryptocurrency. Even the Bitcoin founder said they were nothing but a proof of concept.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
A cafe I go to fairly regularly has had a Bitcoin ATM (I think?) outside the toilets for around a year. I went in today today to find out it's been removed. rip buttcoin

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

It seems like bitcoins are good if you are:
A) one of a half dozen chinese dudes who are laundering money
B) trying to send money to cambodia
C) drugs
D) guns
E) cp
F) investing in an imaginary money that will be worth 10k per coin because of charts
Edit g) trying to to rip off or hack other bitcoiners
Edit2 h) maybe pizza
I) brazil trips

Slightly Absurd fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 6, 2016

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
I dont get how Cambodia made that list honestly, I was with you up until that point but I was reading from the second thing.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Slightly Absurd posted:

It seems like bitcoins are good if you are:
A) one of a half dozen chinese dudes who are laundering money
B) trying to send money to cambodia
C) drugs
D) guns
E) cp
F) investing in an imaginary money that will be worth 10k per coin because of charts
Edit g) trying to to rip off or hack other bitcoiners
Edit2 h) maybe pizza
I) brazil trips

Lots of examples of scamware using bitcoins

And there are some good examples of extortionists using bitcoins.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Luxury Communism posted:

A "nifty solution" that consumes more electricity than the country of Ireland for the equivalent processing power of a Nintendo Entertainment System

Admittedly though people who proselytize bitcoin are universally terrible, so that's useful. The bitcoin ecosphere has also generated some serious comedy over the years, more than I suspect that libertarians alone could have generated without bitcoin

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Bitcoin was sweet when people treated it only as drug tokens like it really was. Then libertarians had to gay it all up by trying to act like it was some brilliant new currency.

I remember when it hit like $1k a bitchcoin and I was like "Oh poo poo today I have technically done like a million dollars worth of drugs!" and that's about as exciting as butt coin ever was. Apart from the inevitable hacking and scams, that's funny too.

"Cryptographic currencies are a needed solution and have many legitimate uses!" *exclusively buys drugs, just like every other bitcoin dork*

Tumble fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 7, 2016

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Guys your bitcoins are safe, Mircea Popescu has put up 10 bitcoins to anyone who can completely redo a new hash function!

quote:

The Most Serenei Republic, reunited in congress, decided :

That all presently known block ciphers suck ;
That an actually useful block cipher is required for our own purposes;
That we will consider proposals from barbarians as well as citizens.

Consequently, you are cordially invited to submit a proposal for a block cipher that :

Works on block sizes of 1 kbytes, 4 kbytes, 16 kbytes and 64 kbytes. Bonus points for ciphers that work on an arbitrary block size.
Use a 64 kbyte key.
Fits In Head
Items which come with a proof of hardness, as well as items that eschew basic arithmetic operations as implemented by computers will be particularly favoured.
While we will consider purely theoretical proposals, items which come with sample implementation and assorted tests will be preferred.

The rewards will be a 10 BTC payment from me, as well as a honoris causa position in the very Lordship. Let the party begin!

And a truly amazing chatlog included in the announcement itself wherein our brilliant benefactor lays it down on some rando:

quote:

asciilifeform I would have to think about it. But Gauss could prolly tell you right now! Wake'im up.
mircea_popescu lol. (basically - they're the classical (Archimedan!) approximations of Pi, for the text and reversed text, to an arbitrary precision. Makes for an eminently tunable hashfunction).

asciilifeform Terrible hash function. Bailey, Borwein, & Plouffe.
mircea_popescu Do you see what I did here ?

asciilifeform (IIRC Plouffe was the worker bee and the other 2 were parasites).
mircea_popescu It is apparently a lot easier to follow math in words than in symbols, EVEN FOR YOU.

asciilifeform Actually I am writing it out in symbols!111111 Why the bitwise negation ?
mircea_popescu HA! You took a second to answer after my 2nd line, minutes after the first produced nothing! Timing attack on your brain!

Anne Williams posted:

Could you be clearer on the key size[64kb], please? You cannot be asking for an *effective* key size that large, because humans are unable to reason reliably about computations larger than about the square of anything attempted. So even 256-security guarantees are suspect. Larger claims are purely wishful thinking.

On the other hand, it's easy to create a key derivation function that takes arbitrary sized input. But we need to know the desired *effective* key size.

Except for the desire for a block cipher, Keccak comes close.

"Mircea Popescu posted:

Yes, I can, and I am in fact asking for an *effective* key size that large.

What humans can or can't do is a topic for another time, but generally speaking the list includes flight, as well as flight with devices heavier than air, as well as flight with devices heavier than air at speeds that exceed the speed of sound, as well as flight with devices heavier than air at speeds that exceed the speed of sound taking place outside of Earth's atmosphere.

You loving plebes, people didn't think it was possible to go supersonic, therefore it's possible to memorize 64kb of something (roughly 32 pages of text)! Plus they're offering 10 whole bitcoins!!!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Uncle Enzo posted:

You loving plebes, people didn't think it was possible to go supersonic, therefore it's possible to memorize 64kb of something (roughly 32 pages of text)! Plus they're offering 10 whole bitcoins!!!

And "Fits In Head" which I assume means easy to memorize.

If you google "Fits In Head" you get pages about seizures and brain tumors, which sounds about right.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Uncle Enzo posted:

Guys your bitcoins are safe, Mircea Popescu has put up 10 bitcoins to anyone who can completely redo a new hash function!

And a truly amazing chatlog included in the announcement itself wherein our brilliant benefactor lays it down on some rando:

Someone get that guy an ambulance, it's a legit medical condition to be loving up your words that bad and I think he just had a stroke all over his keyboard. That's just based on the words he typed, getting into the meaning of those words is a whole 'nother can of crazy because what's this poo poo about "The Most Serenei Republic, reunited in congress"?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I want to use the entirety of the John Galt speech as a key, please implement asap

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

I want to use the entirety of the John Galt speech as a key, please implement asap
A better idea would be using the text of the Federal Reserve Charter.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Mircea 'Socks and Cocks' Popescu posted:

The woman's job is to find a great man (not good, by the way), suck his cock, wash his socks and write his eulogy. That's it, forget all the rest of the poo poo you think you're doing with careers and "your own life" and whatnot, it's an exercise in derpitudinous ridicule. There isn't a life outside of life. This is life.

yeah thanks Mircea that's great thanks

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

brylcreem posted:

Look into Hawala (I'm not kidding).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawala

I never heard of that, but it sounds mighty interesting.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

divabot posted:

yeah thanks Mircea that's great thanks

And I get my wishes. I know why it is. Great men don't get the eulogies they deserve and artificially inflated boobs get eulogies they don't deserve because women have turned mediocre these days. Because women aren't raped nearly enough, aren't beaten nearly enough, don't go hungry and don't cry nearly enough, they've forgotten to appreciate greatness and instead hum along like objects, between a "battery low warning" and a "you've got new messages" notification.

Velkest
Mar 1, 2014

mrwuss posted:

And I get my wishes. I know why it is. Great men don't get the eulogies they deserve and artificially inflated boobs get eulogies they don't deserve because women have turned mediocre these days. Because women aren't raped nearly enough, aren't beaten nearly enough, don't go hungry and don't cry nearly enough, they've forgotten to appreciate greatness and instead hum along like objects, between a "battery low warning" and a "you've got new messages" notification.

jesus, you are morew drunk than me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Swan Curry posted:

A cafe I go to fairly regularly has had a Bitcoin ATM (I think?) outside the toilets for around a year. I went in today today to find out it's been removed. rip buttcoin

Don't worry, the sites that have maps of Buttcoin ATMs will still list that one for the next century or two.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Tumble posted:

Bitcoin was sweet when people treated it only as drug tokens like it really was. Then libertarians had to gay it all up by trying to act like it was some brilliant new currency.

I remember when it hit like $1k a bitchcoin and I was like "Oh poo poo today I have technically done like a million dollars worth of drugs!" and that's about as exciting as butt coin ever was. Apart from the inevitable hacking and scams, that's funny too.

"Cryptographic currencies are a needed solution and have many legitimate uses!" *exclusively buys drugs, just like every other bitcoin dork*

hey HEY! Bitcoins werent just drug tokens, some sites would let you buy vps's and such so you can set up infrastructure to gather and trade drug tokens.

Really tho the whole value of bitcoin comes from illicit activities, might as well do away with it being a fiat sort of currency and pin its value to weed and call it the weed-dollar.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Blockade posted:

hey HEY! Bitcoins werent just drug tokens, some sites would let you buy vps's and such so you can set up infrastructure to gather and trade drug tokens.

Really tho the whole value of bitcoin comes from illicit activities, might as well do away with it being a fiat sort of currency and pin its value to weed and call it the weed-dollar.

Weedbucks has a way better tone to it.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
A currency backed by the price of weed. It's like the perfect replacement for the gold standard.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tricky D posted:

A currency backed by the price of weed. It's like the perfect replacement for the gold standard.

The yukon gold standard

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Bad Munki posted:

The yukon gold standard

:omarcomin:

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

TontoCorazon posted:

Weedbucks has a way better tone to it.

Weedbucks Bonerhitler

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tricky D posted:

Money that grows on... well I suppose it's not trees exactly, but eh, close enough.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Either way you're going to have an outrageous electricity bill-

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Segmentation Fox posted:

Weedbutt Bonershitler
king of the dunning-krugerrands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
According to a future captain of industry hoping to get rich by buying piles of cheap laptops and running Runescape goldfarming bots on them, it's apparently more profitable to sell the gold for buttcoins and cash those out rather than selling the gold directly for €, to the tune of getting about 15% more out of it after the exchange cut.

My question here is, why the gently caress would any buttmerchant buy up runescape gold of all things way above market price?

• Locked thread