Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."

AugmentedVision posted:

take that back

B+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

bad page catte

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

I'm sorry I'm not the citizen you deserve.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Can we make The Fourth Stimpire the official name of the SC Goonswarm chapter? When it comes out of course

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

I think the selection of Illfonic for FPS tells you everything about how Chris views the matter. Illfonic was chosen by Chris specifically because they had made a CryEngine-based rebuild of the Quake-mod (DarkPlaces) based shooter Nexuiz. I can't speak to the quality of the game but the videos at least have the lovably manic Quakisn Pace down...

So Chris probably figured, "Great I'll get the best of both worlds-- speed and fun of Quake with Crysis-level fidelity, too!"

And ($xx) million dollars later... He's got two guns sort of working, jank rag doll animations, no limb damage states, jank physics, no FPS and a fanboy lapdog that attacks people who point out the stupidity of all the aforementioned by calling them trolls...

To be fair to Illfonic based on that character pipeline memo, Illfonic were obviously trying to add characters that hadn't been properly technically budgeted for what would actually run in a game instead of an editor, probably suffering the exact same issue with the two maps and dealing with animations issues that had resulted in 8 skeleton changes (at around that time), all of which seem to have been internally controlled by CIG. The level we know was in least part created by Illfonic is the most interesting non-bland SF level CIG have ever shown.

If your starting point doesn't include assets that are possible to include in an actual game playable by players you're shafted and there's not much you can do. I think it's telling that the producer CIG sent to spend time at Illfonic left too and then all these leaks started happening. I can think of few things more frustrating than people technically minded being prevented from doing their jobs by a failure for a boss to understand "this won't work".

AP fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 7, 2016

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

> HELMET

You put on your helmet. There is no way to see through the face plate.
>OPEN HELMET
The front of the helmet spits into several sections which retract to the back of the helmet. You briefly wonder how this many moving pieces can be a good idea for something that needs to be airtight.

You are now looking though a full-face visor.
>RAISE VISOR
The visor raises, slicing off the top of your head. Now lobotomised, you stumble around your quarters before stumbling into your computer terminal chair. You log into the space internet and spend all your credits on pretty pictures.

YOU WIN

badegakk
Feb 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

This is so dumb I wasn't even sure if I should post it or not, but anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO7xR2Eknww

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alan Smithee posted:

Can we make The Fourth Stimpire the official name of the SC Goonswarm chapter? When it comes out of course

sure, if this game ever comes out ill start a guild competing with the Goonrathi that will be called The Fourth Stimpire

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
i take it all back this game is absolutely magical

i downloaded it because free weekend and got to experience all of the following:

- being unable to board a mustang because my head clips through the roof, then getting a sweet ride while a friendly commando helpfully took control of the ship

- having the hatch on my mustang be closed but magically jump to already-open so I can climb up the ladder every time I <<<USE>>> it

- dying, then listening to ship thruster sound effects every time I move or jump

- while hanging in space, watching another commando float up in front of me, exit the cockpit, and spin rapidly in random directions around his own feet

my only regret is not having shadowplay working beforehand, since it seems that windows 10 doesn't recognize it as enough of a game to have the xbox recording stuff working

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gorf posted:

So Chris probably figured, "Great I'll get the best of both worlds-- speed and fun of Quake with Crysis-level fidelity, too!"

this just reminded me why i'm looking forward to the new DOOM

because i suspect that despite being in development hell for a while the end result looks fun as poo poo

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
I cant believe they're still shoehorning Money and the Asian guy onto their shows...I bet Sandi demands it

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

it seems that windows 10 doesn't recognize it as enough of a game to have the xbox recording stuff working

StarCitizen - Not a game
- Microsoft™®©, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

i take it all back this game is absolutely magical

It's too slow to get back into after a death, considering crashing into stuff is the only fun thing to do.

We should have questions to ask on the streams, I suggest :-

"Can we please skip the waking up animation with escape?"

"Can the airlock animation be made faster, or the internal airlock pressurize after use so the next person to exit doesn't have to wait longer for absolutely no loving reason?"

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

G0RF posted:

I know you're kidding but I think the selection of Illfonic for FPS tells you everything about how Chris views the matter. Illfonic was chosen by Chris specifically because they had made a CryEngine-based rebuild of the Quake-mod (DarkPlaces) based shooter Nexuiz. I can't speak to the quality of the game but the videos at least have the lovably manic Quakisn Pace down...

And ($xx) million dollars later... He's got two guns sort of working, jank rag doll animations, no limb damage states, jank physics, no FPS and a fanboy lapdog that attacks people who point out the stupidity of all the aforementioned by calling them trolls...

OMFG the things one learns in this thread! I'm only half joking-- I mean Quakeworld had 16v16 servers and AirQuake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X173LZkEgYc which outstrips what StarEngine can do now.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tippis posted:

Hmmmmm… is there a way to intentionally trigger a genuine “…has stopped working” error in Windows, and can it be done from command-line applications?

I seem to spend most of my life writing code that triggers "...has stopped working" errors so yeah it's pretty easy :D

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

osker posted:

Your helmet cannot be opened.

> look
YOU SEE A TWISTY MAZE OF PASSAGES, ALL ALIKE
> east
YOU SEE A TWISTY MAZE OF IDIOTS, ALL ALIKE
> west
YOU SEE A TWISTY MAZE OF #!@$RT60^%#, ALL ALIKE
> west
YOU FK$#)DF) A $%$#%) MAZE OF #$#@)$#%, ALL <STAR CITIZEN HAS STOPPED WORKING>

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Mr Fronts posted:

> look
YOU SEE A TWISTY MAZE OF PASSAGES, ALL ALIKE

>blame Ben

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

To be fair to Illfonic based on that character pipeline memo, Illfonic were obviously trying to add characters that hadn't been properly technically budgeted for what would actually run in a game instead of an editor, probably suffering the exact same issue with the two maps and dealing with animations issues that had resulted in 8 skeleton changes (at around that time), all of which seem to have been internally controlled by CIG. The level we know was in least part created by Illfonic is the most interesting non-bland SF level CIG have ever shown.

If your starting point doesn't include assets that are possible to include in an actual game playable by players you're shafted and there's not much you can do. I think it's telling that the producer CIG sent to spend time at Illfonic left too and then all these leaks started happening. I can think of few things more frustrating than people technically minded being prevented from doing their jobs by a failure for a boss to understand "this won't work".
Yeah-- I should've worded it a bit differently. I've been working on an expanded Star Marine timeline and didn't really contextualize my reply very well...

I take as a given that the choice of Illfonic (if CIG had to contract out) made reasonable sense and that what they were developing had the potential to be fun, certainly an improvement. That Chris seems to have thrown it away, having realized too late the Illfonic-build couldn't play well in the frankencode of the PTU, is the issue worth lamenting.

If it isn't clear, I see Illfonic as getting the worse end of that deal, even if they were paid (bad pr and layoffs followed the winddown) and I'm rooting for their Friday the 13th game to be a hit. That way the 'they screwed up the FPS cause they're hacks' canard bthat gets thrown around on Reddit /RSI can be put to bed.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

This guy seems familiar...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Social module video someone loaded today.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Junkozeyne posted:

I want to believe we live in a world where someone has to approach the VP of marketing of a $100million+ project with the dreaded words "Major Tom has posted a new video."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih8j9axa61I

Dont ask me why! I just do.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

osker posted:

OMFG the things one learns in this thread! I'm only half joking-- I mean Quakeworld had 16v16 servers and AirQuake https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X173LZkEgYc which outstrips what StarEngine can do now.
Star Marine-- at least the SataBall portion-- included 16v16 player non-lethal combat, too. It looked boring as balls and like a big waste but again, it's probably because Chris' mandate ('we need Ender's Game in this!') wasn't really thought through very well...

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I laughed, I cried, what a rollercoaster :v:

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

It amazes me that these people can't understand that 'vision' doesn't overcome basic technical limitations.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

Social module video someone loaded today.

I never noticed but it's hilarious that they can't get spring and damper rates right for a golf cart, and are supposed to be building actual physics based movement for all of their ships (with real thruster placement and everything).

Although now I'm not sure if that was something CIG said, or something the backers made up because DREAMS HAPPEN.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

RSI Forums: Today's random ? - Are you happy with the latest progress?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6340203/#Comment_6340203

:fuckoff:

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

peter gabriel posted:

I laughed, I cried, what a rollercoaster :v:

i gave it as much effort as cig put into pu.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Oh you like waiting, Citizen? Have I got some great news for you!

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

there are at least three people that got legitimately angry watching derek's head appear out of a star citizen helmet

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Hey, if Chris Roberts said it's already in the game, then it's already in the game. I mean, it's his game, who would know better than him?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I swear this entire Star Citizen debacle is like a case study made for mental health research.

If I didn't know better I'd assume CIG is baiting delusional suckers to analyse them in some grand (and probably highly illegal) psychological experiment.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Libluini posted:

I swear this entire Star Citizen debacle is like a case study made for mental health research.

If I didn't know better I'd assume CIG is baiting delusional suckers to analyse them in some grand (and probably highly illegal) psychological experiment.

The SeaWorld Prison Experiment.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
it's absolutely amazing how many little UX things they've missed, too

you can control with a gamepad, but you can't navigate around menus without a mouse

the scroll wheel does nothing in menus that have a scrollbar

escape doesn't back out of menu options

i know it's minor but it just further reinforces the idea of how little the people making the game actually play the game, no doubt inspired by the chairman's "loving chat box" rant

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

tastychicken posted:

i gave it as much effort as cig put into pu.

You need to add that to the video description.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

it's absolutely amazing how many little UX things they've missed, too

you can control with a gamepad, but you can't navigate around menus without a mouse

the scroll wheel does nothing in menus that have a scrollbar

escape doesn't back out of menu options

i know it's minor but it just further reinforces the idea of how little the people making the game actually play the game, no doubt inspired by the chairman's "loving chat box" rant

you don't know anything about game development, thought invalid.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Google Butt posted:

you don't know anything about game development, thought invalid.

"They know it sucks. It's on the roadmap to replace entirely, so why waste time in the interim fixing this one up?"

This applies to:
  • the tutorial
  • the ui in menus
  • the dashboard ui in every ship
  • the chat system
  • the friends list
  • the lobby system for AC
  • basically the entirety of the quality-of-life fixes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Backers seem so eager to blame themselves or each other for CIG's shortcomings.

• Locked thread