Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Well, I finished Cold Steel tonight.

When does Cold Steel 2 drop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it doesn't have a date yet but it's on track for like mid-late 2016.

i know SC got delayed like a million times but it's different since CS isn't PC, i wouldn't expect major pushbacks

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Endorph posted:

honestly, I doubt Bleublanc's got any big backstory. He probably was a minor noble at some point, got good at sneaking around and stealing stuff, started his phantom thief act, then fell in with ouroboros. He doesn't seem like the kind of character who'd have some big past hounding him, he's just in it for a good time.

There's been one or two crackpot theories about Bleublanc among the JP & hardcore NA fans over the years, but they all seem pretty edge-case and would be an odd turn for the character. The big one I know of is that he might be Kloe's presumed-deceased dad, though that one still has a lot of holes.

Cake Attack posted:

i know SC got delayed like a million times but it's different since CS isn't PC, i wouldn't expect major pushbacks

SC getting delayed was so completely unique for just how many things went wrong that I doubt it will happen to any other game in the history of ever

Even with me having no insider info on it, I can say that CSII being out about the same time this year that CS was last year, maybe/hopefully a bit earlier, is a safe bet to make. I know XSEED wants a relatively fast turn-around on it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Oh, I know, I'm just eager to see more of Class VII and to get some burning questions answered.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Endorph posted:

honestly, I doubt Bleublanc's got any big backstory. He probably was a minor noble at some point, got good at sneaking around and stealing stuff, started his phantom thief act, then fell in with ouroboros. He doesn't seem like the kind of character who'd have some big past hounding him, he's just in it for a good time.

I'm even doubting the noble-part. The members of Class VII almost immediately noted that Bleublanc's "noble act" felt fake because he was trying too hard. They felt it came across as if he was playing a noble by completely sticking to the stereotype.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

SpaceDrake posted:

There's been one or two crackpot theories about Bleublanc among the JP & hardcore NA fans over the years, but they all seem pretty edge-case and would be an odd turn for the character. The big one I know of is that he might be Kloe's presumed-deceased dad, though that one still has a lot of holes.

I hope it isn't this, because it'd turn the character from a somewhat funny pain in the rear end to an horrible fucker that needs to be taken down like a rabid dog yesterday.

He's an Ouroboros Enforcer, so in reality he always was an horrible fucker, but at least with his gimmick means we can pretend.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
I like that Cold Steel introduces yet another Enforcer, but one that is weird enough that they basically make Bleublanc seem like a normal person.

Seriously, what sort of self-respecting mass murdering sociopath does all that stuff as their hobby? At least randomly stealing things and leaving lovely riddles behind is an interesting hobby.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Omobono posted:

I hope it isn't this, because it'd turn the character from a somewhat funny pain in the rear end to an horrible fucker that needs to be taken down like a rabid dog yesterday.

He's an Ouroboros Enforcer, so in reality he always was an horrible fucker, but at least with his gimmick means we can pretend.

Yeah, if that theory is true that, it would've too much. Trails games, so far anyway, does a good job of implying terrible things but not actually showing them. Joshua/Loewe's backstory as well as Renne's backstory comes into mind. You get a few key lines and then you get it, no need to outright say it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bleublanc's backstory:

basically this guy

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

SorcerousHam posted:

I like that Cold Steel introduces yet another Enforcer, but one that is weird enough that they basically make Bleublanc seem like a normal person.

Seriously, what sort of self-respecting mass murdering sociopath does all that stuff as their hobby? At least randomly stealing things and leaving lovely riddles behind is an interesting hobby.

Are you talking about Sharon? Loewe says that all those who join Ouroboros have some sort of darkness in their heart, but I never got the impression that all enforcers are mass murdering sociopaths.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
It's pretty much a given at some point an Enforcer will find an Anguis' plan that they enjoy and want to be a part of, and as far as I know, there's yet to be an Anguis plan which doesn't involve the deaths of thousands of people for anything more than an "interesting experiment".

So yes, all the Enforcers are almost certainly mass murdering sociopaths. All the ones we saw in SC were, there's no reason to think that newer ones are not.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I dunno. It's hard to call a character like Loewe a sociopath when he spends at least half of all his scenes avoiding collateral damage, to a point where it almost becomes his defining trait. Trails isn't a good series for moral absolutism. Heck, Kevin and Joshua could be considered murderous sociopaths too with a bit of creative reasoning. A strong theme of the series in general seems to be that very few people are truly beyond redemption.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Calvard arc is Gilbert's redemption quest, calling it now.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I guess I should post in this thread. I've been reluctant to out of fear of spoilers, though I've kind of spoiled myself on some things anyway like Renne's backstory, (slight 3rd and Zero spoilers) which makes everything she said in the Erbe Royal Villa technically the truth.

I'm in the middle of Chapter 4 of SC and I'm kind of kicking myself for not playing through FC and buying SC sooner because I'm enjoying it so much so, thanks to everyone at Xseed and Carpe Fulgur for their work. I'm kind of curious though, how far into the game is Chapter 4? I've been going at roughly a chapter a day's pace but I'm wondering how much more of SC there is.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Calvard arc is Gilbert's redemption quest, calling it now.

Gilbert is so endearingly incompetent that I don't think anyone really considers him evil.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I guess I should post in this thread. I've been reluctant to out of fear of spoilers, though I've kind of spoiled myself on some things anyway like Renne's backstory, (slight 3rd and Zero spoilers) which makes everything she said in the Erbe Royal Villa technically the truth.

I'm in the middle of Chapter 4 of SC and I'm kind of kicking myself for not playing through FC and buying SC sooner because I'm enjoying it so much so, thanks to everyone at Xseed and Carpe Fulgur for their work. I'm kind of curious though, how far into the game is Chapter 4? I've been going at roughly a chapter a day's pace but I'm wondering how much more of SC there is.

There's 9 chapters, chapters 6 and 7 are shorter, chapter 8 is immense and chapter 9 is about regular chapter length.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

5 is pretty big, 6 is pretty short and is mostly exposition, 7 is relatively brief, 8 is pretty massive and the finale is also very long.

You're nearing the halfway point.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

SpaceDrake posted:

You're talking about the franchise which is keeping a 250 year old Valkyrie alive somehow. Ouroboros can make anything happen, at this point.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I also just completed Cold Steel. Really curious about the story in the Crossbell games now. I hope all of this world building and cliff hangers is building up to massive game where all the heroes unite, Justice League style and take on Ouroboros The Grandmaster of Ouroboros identity is not revealed in any of the games so far, right?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

davidHalestorm posted:

I also just completed Cold Steel. Really curious about the story in the Crossbell games now. I hope all of this world building and cliff hangers is building up to massive game where all the heroes unite, Justice League style and take on Ouroboros The Grandmaster of Ouroboros identity is not revealed in any of the games so far, right?

Regarding the Grandmaster: All we know is that the Grandmaster is a woman from a Drama CD and fans speculate it to be Aidios herself, but that's not confirmed and is just speculation.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

davidHalestorm posted:

I personally think that a final game or series whose party consists of the protagonists of each game would be awesome.

Does anyone know if the Crossbell arc features anyone from high up in the Crossbell government joining the party like Kloe did?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Even by the end, it's entirely plausible we won't know everything.

Some Numbers posted:

I personally think that a final game or series whose party consists of the protagonists of each game would be awesome.

Does anyone know if the Crossbell arc features anyone from high up in the Crossbell government joining the party like Kloe did?

The Granddaughter of the Mayor.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 8, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm starting to think the final game will have someone who is a willing member of Ouroboros as the protagonist.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Not sure about the final game, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got an Ouroboros game at some point where you play a new recruit who accumulates "society points" and climbs his way up from newbie to enforcer.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Erpy posted:

Not sure about the final game, but I wouldn't be surprised if we got an Ouroboros game at some point where you play a new recruit who accumulates "society points" and climbs his way up from newbie to enforcer.

That would be amazing and good. I doubt Falcom will do this though, 'cause wish fulfillment is rare in the industry.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Slur posted:

That would be amazing and good. I doubt Falcom will do this though, 'cause wish fulfillment is rare in the industry.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Slur posted:

Yeah, Falcom has a very clear history of not giving us amazing things, after all.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Erpy posted:

Looking forward to the Gilbert arc

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I imagine the bigger issue there is that an entire game of doing utterly horrific things things for 40 hours where by the nature of the game you'd have to be pretty successful would get depressing pretty quickly.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Gilbert no Kiseki

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I imagine the bigger issue there is that an entire game of doing utterly horrific things things for 40 hours where by the nature of the game you'd have to be pretty successful would get depressing pretty quickly.

Could be worse. They could make a game where the protagonist is a member of D∴G Cult.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

ImpAtom posted:

Not necessarily. Joshua mentioned that the society occasionally strikes down lesser criminal organisations, though mostly for the purpose of taking over their assets. He and Loewe once conducted such a raid, which is how they found Renne.

Cake Attack posted:

Looking forward to the Gilbert arc

To be honest, Gilbert suddenly being competent would feel like a sincere loss. I kind of imagined Gilbert would be like Patrick in Cold Steel; the haughty and arrogent guy who goes through humiliation conga upon humiliation conga.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Patrick's pretty competent though, he's just a bit of a dick for most of the game.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

The Doomhammer posted:

Patrick's pretty competent though, he's just a bit of a dick for most of the game.

Eh. Not really. He's competent... compared to the average joe. Compared to your party, he sucks. Still better than Gilbert, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Maybe Gilbert. But what about New Gilbert?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Why are we talking about Gilbert? Gilbert's a chump.

At least Patrick has a couple of redeeming qualities. Sort of.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Some Numbers posted:

Why are we talking about Gilbert? Gilbert's a chump.

At least Patrick has a couple of redeeming qualities. Sort of.

I'd say he has good taste in women, but Rean would go nuts.

Besides, it'd be a lie.

... relatively.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 8, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Just finished Luciola's fight in the final dungeon. I knew ahead of time to bring along Zane for Walter and Schera for her to get more dialogue, but is there anyone I should bring for the next one? Maybe Tita? Really hoping that isn't the case because I've been understandably ignoring her for quite a while.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yup. Just bring her for the walk there, she'll level up at crazy speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

Just finished Luciola's fight in the final dungeon. I knew ahead of time to bring along Zane for Walter and Schera for her to get more dialogue, but is there anyone I should bring for the next one? Maybe Tita? Really hoping that isn't the case because I've been understandably ignoring her for quite a while.

nah it doesn't really change anything, estelle does all the heavy lifting for the scene

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 9, 2016