Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

G0RF posted:

But if somebody made a VR game set inside an intergalactic bar, where you sat in dimly lit booths and chatted with avatars of your VR friends sipping your real life whisky below your VR headset, they would get players galore.

There doesn't have to be an elaborate game mechanic, either-- just a stunning view of ships coming and going, maybe some virtual alien cocktail waitresses, and a grizzled old bartender with an eyepatch who gives you that nod, that you've seen hell too mate, you're welcome here nod that would make them feel like they've a refuge, out there nestled in a backwater nebula, where they're treated like a decorated veteran for enduring the petty kind of bullcrap they put up with day in and out... ('my boss promoted the younger guy with the masters degree', 'my wife keeps bitching about me not helping enough around the house', etc.)

I'm belaboring Pgabz's point and adding little new but drat that really is it.

Dibs. I'm calling it Bar Commando, I'll release it on Google Cardboard for Android for 99 cents with IAPs when Squadron 42 releases. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I think I'm missing something, why are we calling them "commandos" now?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
someone tried to ram me to death, killed themselves, and screamed at me in local that they wanted to 1v1 me in destiny

sorry friend o9

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

MeLKoR posted:

The SeaWorld Prison Experiment.

:golfclap:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Mirificus posted:

Backers seem so eager to blame themselves or each other for CIG's shortcomings.

CIG cannot fail, they can only be failed.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I think I'm missing something, why are we calling them "commandos" now?

We have always called them commandos commando.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

trucutru posted:

Ok then. o9

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

runsamok posted:

"They know it sucks. It's on the roadmap to replace entirely, so why waste time in the interim fixing this one up?"

This applies to:
  • the tutorial
  • the ui in menus
  • the dashboard ui in every ship
  • the chat system
  • the friends list
  • the lobby system for AC
  • basically the entirety of the quality-of-life fixes

This is brilliant. If I ever make a game I'm going to set up extremely delusional-level goals for my game and dismiss all criticism with "but its not the real game yet"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tippis posted:

To be be ever so slightly fair to CIG, they don't do it because space is a very different environment from a city, in particular in terms of how far you can see and, consequently, what strategies you can employ for cutting the world up into useful chunks.

That said, yes, they do have a faiblesse for the overly complicated, mainly rooted in some romantic notion of how the standard tricks that all games employ to convey the illusion of grand scale are horrible tricks and cheats because… well… that's exactly what they are. They believe that conveying an illusion is a bad thing rather than the rational way of creating something that works; that it must be “real” rather than an illusion; and that it must be made real through pointless simulation of minutiae rather than through tricks and shortcuts that yield the exact same results.

Think of it as the gaming version of the 1960s epics that eventually broke Hollywood: instead of using the tricks of the trade to put an image of some ancient Roman forum on screen with a few cleverly shot extras to make it appear like it was crowded, they built a Roman forum and filled it with a crowd of extras (and for added over-the-top:ness, it was scaled up to be bigger than it ever was in real life).

lol what movies were these?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

trucutru posted:

As I understand it, pgabz kept calling them that on the forums recently

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Holy poo poo this is hilarious. Aliens with no population growth... how did there ever come to be any of them? It's a really big deal when you kill one and they'll stop at nothing to take their... non-violent revenge..?

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Keep in mind what with their concurrent development process they have to remake everything, all the time, because actually knowing what purpose your doodad will perform before making it is overrated.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Wafflz posted:

The main problem here isn't with CIG or with Chris or with Star Marine. It's with the community

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Can we all take a moment to realise not one ship is completed on a 100 mill spaceship game after 4 years and hundreds of man hours not one ship has complete features, because - the features are not complete, fully realised or not even close to being added.

parrrppp

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

I'm gonna say around page 1800 so more like 2200 posts.

Good guess.

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

That second paragraph feels like every statement of fact is false and every counterfactual is true. :confused:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i too care deeply about my spaceship jpg that isnt flyable and will never exist

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Wafflz posted:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6335220/#Comment_6335220

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

That's some CIG tier bricklaying. Also timg ploz

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
I really thought the whales would wait until the entire game was officially cancelled before they started blaming random internet posters but here we are. It's amazing how much power we have over multi-million dollar companies.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i decided to start my rsi posting career on this day, and i will do my best to fit in XD XD XD

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMdA7-E7VVM

Classic Star Shitizen reaction.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance

Does this count as bargaining? 'The community is thwarting the project! What can we do to root out the evil to get our space game???'

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The vibe I am getting is that when SC fails, they will blame us, Derek Smart, even themselves before heaping blame upon their Lord and Savior Christ Roberts.

If nobody is prosecuted and/or sued when the thing falls over, they will discard the tell-alls that come out as unbelievers (and 'leavers') that caused the game to fail. A few years later when mushmouth is running low on money, he will put up a kickstarter to 'get it right this time'. They will then donate to Chris Roberts' second kickstarter, Space Commando about an alien race Evalguise vs. The Human Terran Solar Alliance. The main villain will be D'orak Smurv, Solar Warlord and his elite Groons.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 8, 2016

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Dapper Dan posted:

The vibe I am getting is that when SC fails, they will blame us, Derek Smart, even themselves before heaping blame upon their Lord and Savior Christ Roberts.

If nobody is prosecuted and/or sued when the thing falls over, they will discard the tell-alls that come out as unbelievers (and 'leavers') that caused the game to fail. A few years later when mushmouth is running low on money, he will put up a kickstarter to 'get it right this time'. They will then donate to Chris Roberts' second kickstarter, Space Commando about an alien race Evalguise vs. The Human Terran Solar Alliance. The main villain will be D'orak Smurv, Solar Warlord and his elite Groons.

I would play that game.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Dapper Dan posted:

When's the kickstarter? Id be down to play a dangerous elite groon.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

FrankieGoes posted:

For those that haven't been following along on the CIG forums, Logical Chimp is a total retard with severe cognitive problems that is incapable of doing anything other than licking CIGs balls.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6336742/#Comment_6336742

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I wonder if he realizes that the only way to prevent a ship from "producing" g-forces is to prevent the ship from undergoing any acceleration at all.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/317406/which-glitch-and-versebusters

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Battered Citizen Syndrome

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Star Citizen Alpha: Polished enough to be a Beta

The writing is on the wall

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 8, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
whats "their new redacted" from the first screen cap mean

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Astroniomix posted:

I wonder if he realizes that the only way to prevent a ship from "producing" g-forces is to prevent the ship from undergoing any acceleration at all.

Put the pilot into some sort of hydrostatic capsule. (ORIGINAL IDEA DO NOT STEAL)

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

The Marauder posted:

I would play that game.

LowellDND posted:

When's the kickstarter? Id be down to play a dangerous elite groon.

I know absolutely nothing about modern game development, so I guess that would put me right on the level of Chris Roberts. Look out for the Space Commando Kickstarter, coming in two weeks

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
He really thinks he'll get 10 episodes of SQ42 by summer...

Sorry bro, how would you like 20 more Around The Verses, Reverse The Verses, 10 for the Chairmans, and handful of Which Glitches, Bugsmashers, and assorted other crap?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

intelligently designed stencils

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

I had the picture the wrong way up the first time.

:downsbravo:

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Phi230 posted:

This is brilliant. If I ever make a game I'm going to set up extremely delusional-level goals for my game and dismiss all criticism with "but its not the real game yet"

The only way all that stuff could be on the back burner would be if your actual game engine itself was almost literally on fire.

Oh.

Wait.

Carry on CIG, carry on.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I wish I could see what their development road map looked like.

"Jpegs of ships.
Ships (models of)
Waking up cinematic sequence.
Physics?
Flying (first pass, don't overdo it guys)
The enter key (what does it do?)
Ships (collisions, if there's time)

Future:
Gameplay, UI, actual ship controls, other game stuff"

Edit: I just feel like literally everything is in a state that won't work in a final product and none of it is any sort of priority.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

G0RF posted:

He really thinks he'll get 10 episodes of SQ42 by summer...

Sorry bro, how would you like 20 more Around The Verses, Reverse The Verses, 10 for the Chairmans, and handful of Which Glitches, Bugsmashers, and assorted other crap?

I hope to see a lot more VERSEBUSTERS. The polarizing effect on Star Citizens is lovely.

• Locked thread