Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Getting ahead of myself a bit I see Ultimate Comics Ultimates & X-Men are these retellings or continuations of the stories on Ultimate X-men and Ultimates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Continuations.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Ultragonk posted:

Also after seeing more of Stark in The Ultimates I have no idea what was going through Scott Card's head with Ultimate Iron Man I and II other than *GASP* "I know, I'll rub goo on Stark and Obidiah Stane can be a fat psychopath! Genius!"

Orson Scott Card is a crazy rear end in a top hat and terrible writer is what happened. This is a man who suggested violent revolution would be a good idea if gay marriage became unilaterally legal in America, yet wrote an extremely homoerotic novel in the form of Enders Game. The message of that amounted to "Hitler was cool and good" btw.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lightning Lord posted:

Orson Scott Card is a crazy rear end in a top hat and terrible writer is what happened. This is a man who suggested violent revolution would be a good idea if gay marriage became unilaterally legal in America, yet wrote an extremely homoerotic novel in the form of Enders Game. The message of that amounted to "Hitler was cool and good" btw.

Lets not forget how he rewrote Hamlet where King Hamlet is a pedophile who molested Laertes, Horatio, and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern, and implication that this in turn made them homosexuals

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I've read that "Ender's Game is Hitler apologia" essay too and it's never ever been persuasive to me. Ender commits genocide because he thinks it's a video game and is sick of the bullshit "games" he's been asked to win and his reasoning is basically "I'll show you assholes how unfit I am for actual command and then you'll leave me alone", he's horrified when he finds out what they duped him into, and then it turns out that the Buggers were precisely zero threat and just talking to them was a completely viable solution, and Ender spends literally the rest of his life atoning. That's a long drat way from Hitler Had Some Good Ideas.

Speaker for the Dead is poo poo, but it's telling how hard that essay has to lean on it while ignoring or misrepresenting some awfully key moments in Ender's Game.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

If you told me that Ender's Game thought Hitler was right, then I'd assume you were talking about Ender's brother and sister.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Are you guys talking about "Creating the Innocent Killer: Ender's Game, Intention, and Morality"? Because it's not arguing that Ender's Game is apologia for Hitler specifically. It's arguing that Ender's Game is a story explicitly constructed to create a protagonist that is sympathetic while commiting genocide.

Or is there another essay about Ender's Game in that vein that I'm not aware of?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Idran posted:

Are you guys talking about "Creating the Innocent Killer: Ender's Game, Intention, and Morality"? Because it's not arguing that Ender's Game is apologia for Hitler specifically. It's arguing that Ender's Game is a story explicitly constructed to create a protagonist that is sympathetic while commiting genocide.

Or is there another essay about Ender's Game in that vein that I'm not aware of?
There is. I'm referring to Ender and Hitler: Sympathy for the Superman, which is completely all-in on calling it apologia for Hitler specifically -- witness the frankly crazy paragraphs ranting about how both Hitler and Ender were third children.

I haven't read the other one, but just off your description: yes, of course Ender's game is a story explicitly constructed to create a protagonist that is sympathetic while commiting genocide. Because it's crystal clear that the genocide was a terrible, unjustified thing and the protagonist was duped into it. If you want to reflect that back on Nazism in any way, (and Card's been unequivocal that he didn't mean any Nazi analogies, but gently caress it, neither did Tolkien and that don't mean they're not there), it's reminding you that the kids in Nazi uniforms were probably really nice people who honestly didn't know what they were doing was wrong. If that's a disquieting thought, good, because it ought to be.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CapnAndy posted:

There is. I'm referring to Ender and Hitler: Sympathy for the Superman, which is completely all-in on calling it apologia for Hitler specifically -- witness the frankly crazy paragraphs ranting about how both Hitler and Ender were third children.

I haven't read the other one, but just off your description: yes, of course Ender's game is a story explicitly constructed to create a protagonist that is sympathetic while commiting genocide. Because it's crystal clear that the genocide was a terrible, unjustified thing and the protagonist was duped into it. If you want to reflect that back on Nazism in any way, (and Card's been unequivocal that he didn't mean any Nazi analogies, but gently caress it, neither did Tolkien and that don't mean they're not there), it's reminding you that the kids in Nazi uniforms were probably really nice people who honestly didn't know what they were doing was wrong. If that's a disquieting thought, good, because it ought to be.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Here's basic descriptions of three books that Orson Scott Card might have written. Pick the false one.

Middle-aged Mormon house flipper dude moves into a haunted house. He gets possessed by the spirit of the house and marries an underage girl. The last two parts are only tangentially related.

Mormon programmer guy moves his family to a new state for a new job. His coworker is a child molester, his landlord is always around, his son has imaginary friends who have the names of missing kids. His son's teacher is a bitch. The house gets infested by bugs several times. There's a killer, and it's not one of the super-creepy people.

Time travelers find out someone hosed with Christopher Columbus, causing the Native Americans to invade Europe. They decide to try to improve the past. Due to the rules of Time Travel, one of the people has to have his dick pierced several times with valuable materials. This is gone into with too much detail. Time travel is one direction only.

they're all OSC novels, motherfucker. He's got some major loving issues, and should probably be put, along with Piers Anthony, onto some kind of list.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

kizudarake posted:

Here's basic descriptions of three books that Orson Scott Card might have written. Pick the false one.

Middle-aged Mormon house flipper dude moves into a haunted house. He gets possessed by the spirit of the house and marries an underage girl. The last two parts are only tangentially related.

Mormon programmer guy moves his family to a new state for a new job. His coworker is a child molester, his landlord is always around, his son has imaginary friends who have the names of missing kids. His son's teacher is a bitch. The house gets infested by bugs several times. There's a killer, and it's not one of the super-creepy people.

Time travelers find out someone hosed with Christopher Columbus, causing the Native Americans to invade Europe. They decide to try to improve the past. Due to the rules of Time Travel, one of the people has to have his dick pierced several times with valuable materials. This is gone into with too much detail. Time travel is one direction only.

they're all OSC novels, motherfucker. He's got some major loving issues, and should probably be put, along with Piers Anthony, onto some kind of list.

Don't forget the one about a psychic worm monster that summons a young teenage girl in order to have sex to create some kind of space messiah.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

Don't forget the one about a psychic worm monster that summons a young teenage girl in order to have sex to create some kind of space messiah.

I didn't read that one as a teenager.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Let he who is without statutory rape parasite cast the first stone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

None of that seems significantly worse than Heinlein, really.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

yoscpos, bithc

yo, orson scott card is a piece of poo poo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

None of that seems significantly worse than Heinlein, really.

I don't think Heinlein actually believed anything he wrote, his stuff is all over the place ideologically. Stranger in a Strange Land and Moon is a Harsh Mistress espouse diametrically opposed philosophies.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

I don't think Heinlein actually believed anything he wrote, his stuff is all over the place ideologically. Stranger in a Strange Land and Moon is a Harsh Mistress espouse diametrically opposed philosophies.

No, no, I'm pretty sure that if you write a book that has a murderer in it, that means you like to murder.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Your being sarcastic but that is true more times then not.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

George RRMartin wishes he was Oliver Cromwell?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people: psychopaths and mystery writers.

I'm the kind that pays bitter.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Nah, he started out as a pretty strong liberal back in the 30s and 40s, but by the 60s he was total anarchist/libertarian; Professor La Paz was essentially a political self-insert by the time "Moon is a Harsh Mistress" was published. He was just all about free love for the entirety of his life too, which is where all the weird sex stuff in his books came from.

His contemporaries - Asimov, Clarke, so on, the general Golden Age sci fi community - they all said pretty much the same thing about him. I'm pretty sure I remember Asimov actually mentioning in one of his biographies how annoying Heinlein's late career political swing was, even, because he was extremely vocal about his political beliefs to just about anyone that'd listen.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

drat I never knew that about Truman Capote

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He is the one who kills mockingbirds

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

kizudarake posted:

With a dash of pedophila yeah.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He had a really unhealthy fascination with the main killer from In Cold Blood, actually.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Idran posted:

Nah, he started out as a pretty strong liberal back in the 30s and 40s, but by the 60s he was total anarchist/libertarian; Professor La Paz was essentially a political self-insert by the time "Moon is a Harsh Mistress" was published. He was just all about free love for the entirety of his life too, which is where all the weird sex stuff in his books came from.

His contemporaries - Asimov, Clarke, so on, the general Golden Age sci fi community - they all said pretty much the same thing about him. I'm pretty sure I remember Asimov actually mentioning in one of his biographies how annoying Heinlein's late career political swing was, even, because he was extremely vocal about his political beliefs to just about anyone that'd listen.

Hmm too bad. This seems to happen with a lot of sci fi authors.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Heinlein was the first creator of any media to betray me by just muscling in with his own personal bullshit until all the art was just buried under their obvious weird neuroses. And then you look back and all the warning signs are just glaring out at you from stuff you used to enjoy. He wasn't the only one -- looking right at you, Frank Miller -- but he was the first.

I think the only Heinlein books I still really like are Starship Troopers and Double Star, because THERE'S NO loving SEX IN THEM AT ALL.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Even I'm embarrassed by how heavy handed and ridiculous the messages of the original Starship Troopers is. Like the movie satirically predicting the war on terror, the book comes across as something a post-9/11 OUR TROOPS kind of guy would crank out.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Even I'm embarrassed by how heavy handed and ridiculous the messages of the original Starship Troopers is. Like the movie satirically predicting the war on terror, the book comes across as something a post-9/11 OUR TROOPS kind of guy would crank out.
Oh sure, but it's still an extremely entertaining read. And I read these books as a kid, so starting to be able to put into words why exactly I disagreed with the book was really helpful to me in defining my personal politics.

Seriously though, the book spends several pages on "men are not potatoes" and yet "men are also not dogs" doesn't seem to register at all with Heinlein, it's amazing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WickedHate posted:

I'd have figured you dug Starship Troopers because of it's advocacy for genocide,

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CapnAndy posted:

Oh sure, but it's still an extremely entertaining read. And I read these books as a kid, so starting to be able to put into words why exactly I disagreed with the book was really helpful to me in defining my personal politics.

That's how I feel about Atlas Shrugged, without the "entertaining read" part. Read it in High School and slowly making my way through it I started realizing, page by page, that everything about it and what Ayn Rand advocated was ridiculous.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

kizudarake posted:

Who wouldn't? You get to chop the king's head off, kill Irish people, generally get to be a bit of a fascist.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Continuations.

Excellent, thanks. I think I would have hated it if it had been a new start.

Lightning Lord posted:

He is mental.

I just finished the Return of the King storyline and I thought it was really good. Helped put a finishing touch to the Ultimate War story, helped bring Cyclops back and I loved the way he nearly blew Wolverine's head off but then went and apologised to him because he believes in Xavier's mission.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've been hearing that Karnak #2 had been delayed because artist Gerardo Zaffino "had a truly horrible year" (per Warren Ellis' newsletter) and there's a new artist on the book. I don't want to pry, but has anything been said publicly about what happened? :ohdear:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Found out today that Ultimate Doom isn't about Dr. Doom. As you can Imagine I'm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdEQmpVIE4A

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well, one could argue that point after the fact. Ultimate Reed Richards is like a Dr. Doom but actually effective.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Have Mike Allred's early, pre-Madman comics ever been collected anywhere? I've always wanted to read Grafik Muzik, Graphique Musique, Dead Air, and Creatures of the Id, but the back issues are super-rare and tend to be pricey. Who would even own the reprint rights to those now, considering Image has published the most recent Madman collections?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Have Mike Allred's early, pre-Madman comics ever been collected anywhere? I've always wanted to read Grafik Muzik, Graphique Musique, Dead Air, and Creatures of the Id, but the back issues are super-rare and tend to be pricey. Who would even own the reprint rights to those now, considering Image has published the most recent Madman collections?

They have been but I have no idea if they are in print. There was an edition yeeeeeears ago just called Madman Comics that had everything up to a certain point and then Madman Adventures (i think) that collected the rest up to the Dark Horse series.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Grafik Muzik: No

Graphique Musique: Nope

Dead Air: Sorry

Creatures of the Id: Yes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

Grafik Muzik: No

Graphique Musique: Nope

Dead Air: Sorry

Creatures of the Id: Yes!

Thank you, but dammit! I own an older edition of the Madman Adventures TPB from Tundra that doesn't include it.

Time to upgrade!