Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

Literally Kermit posted:

Hey quick Diamond Frogs update!

Wow, got a big influx of Star Ex-Pats applying to Inara and the DF Discord, so I am scrambling to organize things a bit. I am giving everyone from here a temporary "role" (set of custom permissions) of "Stellar Commandos" so I can get an idea who is new. I'll be applying to older backers who jumped ship a while back, mostly because I am curious how many people left SC for a game that is already into its first expansion.

I'll throw in a bonus, and give Stellar Commandos a special secret channel, tentatively called #dereks-smarties

There has been a #starcitizen for months, actually - we use it for posting recipes and cats, in the spirit of this thread - but I figure you guys on Derek's payroll would appreciate an additional place to operate that "Deep Market" for LTI ship trading etc I heard all about.

It will take a couple of days to set it all up, so bear with me!

I wanted a new game, and apparently elite has things now where you can be on planets? and be a space trucker while listening to podcasts? well well well, looks like daddy is downloading a new game! I am on a third world 5mb 'net connection though, so it's gonna be a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
Star Citizen will keep drawing new gamers, gamers seeking for something greater to elevate themselves to a higher plane of existence. This guy will make a video and, possibly, lead a couple dozen to a couple hundred to "pledge" to CIG

I wouldn't be surprised if CIG tosses this streamer something for free, to buy his loyalty.

It is possible that CIG gets another $20 - 30 million this year, money which will go to boost Sandi's promising Hollywood career and help pay for another revision in the Hornet. There are many more people who will be scammed before the game dies.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kakarot posted:

Hey /r/starcitizen! I think my videos were submitted to your lovely sub a few times and even reached your frontpage. In them, I was defending Star Citizen from unfair criticism, whilst not being a backer myself. I have now finally given in, and made another vid to explain to my viewers what convinced me in the end. With you I just want to share the script of said video so I don't bore you with my YT shenanigans, but if you are interested in the visual part, I'll link to the video at the end of the post.

Today, I want to talk about something that happened to me recently. An epiphany, so to say. As some of you know, I'm opposed to funding early-access games. I still find that whole concept silly and against the best interests of consumers. BUT, and that is quite the big BUT indeed, I was always fond of Chris Roberts' work, fond of spaceflight simulators, and fond of games that try to do something that others haven't tried before. Yet, in all my previous videos I proudly stated that I was not a backer, keeping true to my pro-consumer colours. This has changed. I have betrayed my principles. I have pledged 45 dollars to Star Citizen. And now, let me explain to you why I deem this betrayal of principles the best game purchase I have made in a long time.

My opposition against early-access games, as I elaborated in previous videos, is explained by two core statements: I'm not willing to pay a company for the quote-on-quote 'privilege' of being a beta-tester for their unfinished product and I don't see any incentive for early-access developers to actually finish their games, due to them being able to keep a game in early-access indefinitely, circumventing the consumer expectation of delivering a finished product whilst ALREADY demanding the full price for it. So in order to lure me into spending money on a product that is unfinished and may never come out, something extraordinary has to happen. After thinking about this a lot, I have come to the conclusion that Star Citizen as a whole is exactly that extraordinary thing.

First off, I have been craving for some proper innovation in gaming for a very long time. In a gaming world in which triple A publishers get praised by their corporate slaves for releasing the same drivel over and over, the only way to show them that Call of Duty kids are not the only demographic worth catering to is to vote with ones wallet. This usually means NOT buying a product you deem unworthy of your money. But it CAN also mean buying another product. So in order to cast my vote, I chose to spend money on a company that promises me a literal universe filled with content, a company that says to me: 'You can fly a spaceship! But you can also walk around in it, and float in space in your spacesuit! How about shooting other pilots in the face after you've spent the night drinking in a space bar?' Or in other words, a company that is trying to combine many features and playstyles that are usually seen in separate games, into one. The ambition to create a wholesome simulated universe is therefore my number one reason for betting my money on the Robert Space Industries horse, but this reason alone would have never convinced me to do so.

Hilariously, the other reason for pledging, the one that gave me a virtual push to finally take that leap of faith, were the critics of Star Citizen. Do you remember that Escapist article by Liz Finnegan in which ominous and anonymous sources claimed to be able to prove that Roberts and his wife were evil personified, and that their hiring practices were racist and sexist? Not only did we never hear of them again after RSI threatened to sue - or at least I haven't - but these allegations made me research the whole project deeper, delving into dev logs and speeches Chris Roberts gave, and made me watch a couple of the countless videos that the developers produce on a regular basis in which they explain what they are up to right now and how the progress is going. And guess what? The buggers are transparent as gently caress! Never before have I seen the development of a game so well documented, never before have I seen the devs showcasing their work on such a regular basis. I would not have done that research without all the voices on the internet trying to cut down the tall poppy, as they say here in Australia. And that is what much of the criticism of Star Citizen is: trying to drag an ambitious team down into the mud that said critics are used to swim in.

Of course there is valid criticism, and there are valid concerns too, but when most of the criticism boils down to 'Vapourware LOL' or 'cash grab scam ROFL' in spite of the obvious progress being made, and in spite of the current playable version of Star Citizen, then a person like me ALSO gets the urge to support that game just to spite those who want to obviously continue to live with a gaming industry in which creativity gets punished, and ambition gets called a pipe-dream. Yes, you heard that right. One of the reasons to pledge for me was to prove those who willingly fellate the megalomaniac corporate publisher blobs wrong. To be part of what may very well be the second coming of PC gaming. Or its biggest failure. But hey, even if Star Citizen fails, at least they loving tried.

So here I am, a newly pledged Star Citizen, and proud of it. In the end, it all boils down to to the concept that if I want the game industry to change, I figured that voicing my criticism and NOT buying games I abhor isn't enough. I decided to put my money where my mouth is. Now, please, for the love of the flying spaghetti monster, don't prove me wrong, Star Citizen.

Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCiE80VNHmY

quite the big butt indeed

edit: i really don't get the "at least they're trying to change gaming!" argument, especially when used to defend star citizen. gaming is loving booming right now, there are more creative and cool games than ever, and the tools to make nearly anything are affordable and accessible to jane and joe programmer. "change", or at least, a lot of creativity and development, is already happening. why do they think chris roberts is the Golden Child? is it all just nostalgia for Wing Commander?

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 8, 2016

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

padijun posted:

I wanted a new game, and apparently elite has things now where you can be on planets? and be a space trucker while listening to podcasts? well well well, looks like daddy is downloading a new game! I am on a third world 5mb 'net connection though, so it's gonna be a while
There's an app that lets you stream video in a window during gameplay- can't recall the name but you definitely might want to grab it. Frontier should fold that in so it's really embedded in the cockpit navigation because it's badass and would make supercruise and especially deep space explorations a lot more enjoyable.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Sarcastic?

Definitely sarcastic

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

kog's comment history have them fighting the good fight throughout the 'universe

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

lmao this can't be real

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Welcome to how the phrase "two weeks" is used in this thread.

Yeah I know. I just expected mr. Smart to actually hit a deadline and not pull a CIG on us. At least we didn't pay money for a jpeg of his part.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Kakarot posted:

One of the reasons to pledge for me was to prove those who willingly fellate the megalomaniac corporate publisher blobs wrong.

:gary: autocratic corporate publisher dick is tops :yarg:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I think I don't understand this all because I never liked Wing Commander, so I don't understand people who loved it so much they were eager to spend thousands of dollars on the man who made them decades ago

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm starting to like the imagery of haters ruining this game like some 70s british TV farce. Like the programmers are all assembling the game's ships as ship-in-bottle models for some reason, and every few minutes a loud alert notifying everyone in the office that Beer or Smart or someone has said once again this is all a scam goes off, causing everyone to violently shake and destroy their model. Why can't they just turn off the notifications? If they did, this wouldn't be the most openly developed game ever, would it?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Kakarot posted:

So here I am, a newly pledged Star Citizen, and proud of it. In the end, it all boils down to to the concept that if I want the game industry to change, I figured that voicing my criticism and NOT buying games I abhor isn't enough. I decided to put my money where my mouth is. Now, please, for the love of the flying spaghetti monster, don't prove me wrong, Star Citizen.

Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCiE80VNHmY

Oh cool, it's a gamergate youtube commentator. Him and Star Citizen are sure to be a perfect match.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tokamak posted:

Oh cool, it's a gamergate youtube commentator. Him and Star Citizen are sure to be a perfect match.

This was beyond awful. This guy really thinks he needs to make a big deal about them buying into this stupid project, like, christ, the presumptuousness that anyone is going to like call him out for his past stances on EA... just baffling, who the hell are these people? do you justr get followers automatically for being ag amerghator? his whole shtick looks like striving fro cringe

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

hey just an idea, would it be weirder if Ben had a body just like 1975 arnold schwarzenegger?

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Khanstant posted:

This was beyond awful. This guy really thinks he needs to make a big deal about them buying into this stupid project, like, christ, the presumptuousness that anyone is going to like call him out for his past stances on EA... just baffling, who the hell are these people? do you justr get followers automatically for being ag amerghator? his whole shtick looks like striving fro cringe

It's like every single youtuber. I don't understand how these guys think that random people who watch their video(s) give a poo poo about every. single. thing. they do. The fact that twitch streaming is a thing and people pay 5 bucks a month to watch a douche in a game chair eat cheetos, say obnoxious one liners, play a game they could be playing themselves at that very moment, etc is mind boggling.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

alf_pogs posted:

edit: i really don't get the "at least they're trying to change gaming!" argument, especially when used to defend star citizen. gaming is loving booming right now, there are more creative and cool games than ever, and the tools to make nearly anything are affordable and accessible to jane and joe programmer. "change", or at least, a lot of creativity and development, is already happening. why do they think chris roberts is the Golden Child? is it all just nostalgia for Wing Commander?

This is what I never understood about these people. They act like game devs don't like to push things forward. Like they don't try to innovate. Yeah, okay. Last I checked games, and game makers, are always trying to push things forward. Its what separates them from the rest. Games are marketed on being the first to do x.

People seem to believe that they both know game development (they don't) and that current game devs haven't implemented any of SC promises because they don't want to. No. They haven't because most of it's not possible. If it was all those big publishers you hate would be happily sucking up your cash as they would have done it already.

Just because you (the overall you) haven't played games since Wing Commander and didn't realize that FMV failed (and it wasn't due to the lack of tech) doesn't mean the rest of us haven't been paying attention.

If you want to think that SC is going to be a game changer, fine. But remember just 5 years ago 3D was once again being held up as a game changer, and where is that now?

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Goobs posted:

It's like every single youtuber. I don't understand how these guys think that random people who watch their video(s) give a poo poo about every. single. thing. they do. The fact that twitch streaming is a thing and people pay 5 bucks a month to watch a douche in a game chair eat cheetos, say obnoxious one liners, play a game they could be playing themselves at that very moment, etc is mind boggling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbRtcVrxVH0

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

7000 dollars. Jesus christ. I can't even watch the rest of this it pisses me off.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

alf_pogs posted:

Indeed. In fact I just grabbed SOMA during the Steam sale, which I would describe, only having played an hour or two, as a cross between Bioshock and Thief II: Metal Age. Some form of grabby hands is here, so you can manipulate the environment, no combat that I can see. Or not yet at any rate. So not necessarily pushing the envelope overly, but still a nice mesh of what we already have, good tension, serviceable graphics, very good sound, and top notch immersion. PC gaming is fine. I've said it before and I feel it bears repeating: Chris Roberts is like a Chinese bootleg version of a game developer. All he is capable of doing is what everyone else already has. Where other developers create polished experiences which, if not cutting-edge per se, still at least aspire to approach it, Chris trolls the bottom of what is possible, then delivers even less.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Goobs posted:

It's like every single youtuber. I don't understand how these guys think that random people who watch their video(s) give a poo poo about every. single. thing. they do.

you know how this entire thread is about the calcified autism deposits clinging to a game developer who's heyday was 20 years ago?

yeah, those kinds of people show up on streamer's channels and comment, frequently

so yes, there are literally people who watch their videos and not only give a poo poo but will call them out about how YOU SAID 30 VIDEOS AGO THAT :spergin: etc

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

Also every feature currently available, or planned, has been done better already in another game. Chris hasn't had an original idea the entire time SC's been in development, every feature they add is just something they're ripping off of another game.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

alf_pogs posted:

The fact is that Kickstarter has done that. Everything Roberts is claiming to have 'done first' has already been done. The publisher system has been impacted by Kickstarter, Early Access and Social Media, they are no longer essential. You aren't 'sticking it to the publishers' because that's already been done by Tim Schafer, Brian Fargo, Harebrained Schemes, Obsidian and dozens of other games successfully Kickstarted without publisher support. What Roberts has done is nothing new, he just made a lot more money. And if it tanks, guess what? You've just proven that you need publishers to manage large projects. The publishers will be popping the champagne because you've hosed the one thing this model relies on: trust. Good on you.

The PC Gaming Renaissance has already occurred. PC sales are slowing, yes. But this is because there are so many games you don't need a high end PC to play. For example, I'm running an i5-760k that's still going strong (with an R9 270X since I had to replace the graphics card). But you know what isn't slowing? Digital games. PC Gaming is a $61 Billion dollar industry. It has surpassed mobile and console games. It is viewed as undervalued. Steam has done it. Digital games have done it. Roberts is completely inconsequential.

His game is nothing but a mish-mash of ideas ripped from other games. Want everything that SC has to offer? Buy Elite. Its done, you can play it and it will come with VR support. You have an actual plan and no outlandish promises. Its not deep at the current moment, but if you can wait for SC, you can wait for ED. No Man's Sky is coming out. Rebel Galaxy. X Rebirth 2.0. Angels Fall First. Eve Valkyrie. gently caress, even Derek Smart's games (they are for a niche audience. Say what you will, but I can buy most of his games now and play the entire thing). All of these are out now or will be out before Star Citizen. Nobody wants Squadron 42. No one cares. It means nothing and has done nothing new. People will just play old Space games if they want a linear story. There is nothing innovative or new that Roberts has done at this point.

The only thing that Roberts has revolutionized is taking money from the mentally challenged and the mentally retarded who have no critical thinking skills and believe anyone at what they say. I'll give Roberts that, he is good at making people pay for poo poo that doesn't and will never exist.

And why Roberts? Two things: 1) Nostalgia and 'The Great Man' fallacy. We see nostalgia through rose colored glasses. It is hard to be objective with something that we enjoyed as kids, at least for a lot of people. Most of these people haven't played a game in years and it shows. To the guy who had to make up his own quests to the people desperately shipping a vending machine from point A to point B, it shows. The 'Great Man' fallacy is that Roberts is the father of the space sim genre, so he must be great and had this superb skill with game design. In reality, if you look at his track record, he got lucky with Wing Commander. He dreamed big, but he was limited by technology and money and time. This forced him to make something, and it came out really well. However, with Freelancer we see the Roberts we are seeing now. Money and time and pressure didn't matter, he was content with driving the game off a cliff for his 'vision'. Microsoft had to step in and basically fire him from his own game to get it shipped.

2) Gamers are frequently uncritical thinking consumers. You see this with pre-orders, day one DLC, the Modern Warfare 2 boycott and the lack of self control. Getting caught up in the hype machine and becoming a foot soldier fan boy, touting your favorite game, product or brand. You love Star Citizen and so everything they are saying must be true. You are hyped for it, you've spent all this time invested in it, it becomes impossible to think critically or distance yourself from it. You've got other foot soldier fanboys reinforcing your views, and that reinforcement is a powerful thing.

So that's the long and short of it at least to me. The whole thing is an excellent case in consumer psychology and the power of projecting your own ideas onto a product regardless of the reality.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Scruffpuff posted:

Indeed. In fact I just grabbed SOMA during the Steam sale, which I would describe, only having played an hour or two, as a cross between Bioshock and Thief II: Metal Age. Some form of grabby hands is here, so you can manipulate the environment, no combat that I can see. Or not yet at any rate. So not necessarily pushing the envelope overly, but still a nice mesh of what we already have, good tension, serviceable graphics, very good sound, and top notch immersion. PC gaming is fine. I've said it before and I feel it bears repeating: Chris Roberts is like a Chinese bootleg version of a game developer. All he is capable of doing is what everyone else already has. Where other developers create polished experiences which, if not cutting-edge per se, still at least aspire to approach it, Chris trolls the bottom of what is possible, then delivers even less.

i liked SOMA; usually i dont go crazy for story-centric games so it was nice to have a sort of philip k dick metaphysical horror story to play through. the gameplay itself i found pretty par for the course, but yeah i guess i just liked the story a lot.

have you played amnesia the dark descent? same developers, with an excellent sort of no-weapon gimmick throughout. way more terrifying really.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Happy Sisyphus posted:

hey just an idea, would it be weirder if Ben had a body just like 1975 arnold schwarzenegger?

It would be weirder and if that were the case then people here would have a highly positive view of Ben.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
Things over at Solar Plebeian are progressing nicely. The video quality really ruins immersion, but this is just a lil' teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAnBanN6iw

Once I get the UI done, and build a downloader/patcher which makes you re-download the entire game every time, I'll start posting weekly builds and write a dev blog. PM me if you want to lend a hand. Especially on the modeling/assets/animation side of things, I'm a loving programmer god dammit.

:gary: PAAAAAARP

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

alf_pogs posted:

i liked SOMA; usually i dont go crazy for story-centric games so it was nice to have a sort of philip k dick metaphysical horror story to play through. the gameplay itself i found pretty par for the course, but yeah i guess i just liked the story a lot.

have you played amnesia the dark descent? same developers, with an excellent sort of no-weapon gimmick throughout. way more terrifying really.

Yeah I played Amnesia first, then Machine for Pigs, then just started this one. All 3 are really the same game. The part in Amnesia where I was stuck in a room with knee-high water, while I used the mouse to frantically open a grate on the wall wide enough to slip through, all the while that invisible monster splashing closer and closer - a true poo poo-your-pants moment of tension. To me the single scariest moment in the whole game.

Most great games have at least one really memorable moment. "The Bonehoard" in Thief, when you first hear the wheezing zombies. "Shalebridge Cradle" in Thief 3, when you first find your way into the basement, and the heart-attack inducing thump from the attic door. When you first enter Columbia in Bioshock: Infinite. The entire original Bioshock. The midway reveal in System Shock 2. SWTOR when you have to choose between saving a woman you know, and a group of people you don't, knowing lives hang in the balance. The progressively trapped and claustrophobic feeling in Fallout 3 if you dove deeply enough into the tunnels under the wasteland, where the really powerful ghouls had their lairs. The ending of Spec Ops: The Line. First walking through the dark portal at the launch of Burning Crusade in WoW. All memorable moments that either surprised us, or had an epic leadup and payoff. Moments that made you feel something.

Star Citizen will have no memorable moments, except for this thread.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Khanstant posted:

To play some amateur psychologist:

Chris Roberts has consistently sold the story of small, plucky CIG fighting the nasty forces of publishers who are single-handedly hindering the advance of video games. As he is a master salesman, 105 million dreams sold would attest to that, we can assume that he only says something which furthers his cause of making money.

I think that there is a vast need for meaning through a unified struggle among a certain segment of the video gamer population. (One could even argue that this desire for meaning through struggle is widely shared among the general population.) This desire for meaning permeates every single Star Citizen 'come to Christ Roberts" forum and youtube post. The Star Citizen backer has been lead to believe that he is part of a great movement, if he buys into Star Citizen. The more he buys, the greater his role in the movement and the greater impact he will have.

Now, if you are a frustrated gamer, frustrated that your great ideas have been studiously ignored for a decade, that your innate knowledge and wisdom is ignored in your personal and professional life, then becoming a somebody via Star Citizen backing is very attractive. Why worry about your dead-end, low level job? You are a hero for video gamers around the world with a $1000 purchase! You get praise from everybody. Look at the YouTuber's video, he makes that and people praise him for his reasoned and rational decision. That sort of praise is addictive, it corrupts people in politics, so it must surely corrupt lesser minds in their private life.

Which returns us to the nastiness that is Star Citizen funding. They sell people prominence and meaning. That meaning increases with each additional dollar put into the game. CIG uses the language of cults and revivalist movements; CIG rewards the top backers with perks, perks that reinforce their importance. The guy who posted his CitizenCard next to his Wehrmacht medals probably never had a greater day in his life until he visited CIG.

There is a lot of self-image sunk into Star Citizen and sunk into being a Star-Citizen backer. If that self-image is destroyed rapidly, then...

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Khanstant posted:

A lot of streamers believe they are self-important. After all, even popular streamers on the lower end with 10,000 subscribers will have perhaps 1000 average views per video. I imagine to a streamer that it feels like you have 1000 friends who are hanging off your every word. In reality, they are probably after cheap entertainment, and don't give too much of a poo poo about your views.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

It would be weirder and if that were the case then people here would have a highly positive view of Ben.

Haha, are you kidding? At least Ben makes us feel good about ourselves.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sperglord posted:

To play some amateur psychologist:

Chris Roberts has consistently sold the story of small, plucky CIG fighting the nasty forces of publishers who are single-handedly hindering the advance of video games. As he is a master salesman, 105 million dreams sold would attest to that, we can assume that he only says something which furthers his cause of making money.

I think that there is a vast need for meaning through a unified struggle among a certain segment of the video gamer population. (One could even argue that this desire for meaning through struggle is widely shared among the general population.) This desire for meaning permeates every single Star Citizen 'come to Christ Roberts" forum and youtube post. The Star Citizen backer has been lead to believe that he is part of a great movement, if he buys into Star Citizen. The more he buys, the greater his role in the movement and the greater impact he will have.

Now, if you are a frustrated gamer, frustrated that your great ideas have been studiously ignored for a decade, that your innate knowledge and wisdom is ignored in your personal and professional life, then becoming a somebody via Star Citizen backing is very attractive. Why worry about your dead-end, low level job? You are a hero for video gamers around the world with a $1000 purchase! You get praise from everybody. Look at the YouTuber's video, he makes that and people praise him for his reasoned and rational decision. That sort of praise is addictive, it corrupts people in politics, so it must surely corrupt lesser minds in their private life.

Which returns us to the nastiness that is Star Citizen funding. They sell people prominence and meaning. That meaning increases with each additional dollar put into the game. CIG uses the language of cults and revivalist movements; CIG rewards the top backers with perks, perks that reinforce their importance. The guy who posted his CitizenCard next to his Wehrmacht medals probably never had a greater day in his life until he visited CIG.

There is a lot of self-image sunk into Star Citizen and sunk into being a Star-Citizen backer. If that self-image is destroyed rapidly, then...

Chris Roberts is the white funiture-less isolation chamber where they blast yakety sax full volume 24/7. Citizens are the detainees who freaking LOVE that song.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Actually I believe you'll find that Star Citizen is pretty good.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Psycho Society posted:

Haha, are you kidding? At least Ben makes us feel good about ourselves.

People would not be nearly as harsh on Ben if he were ripped as hell.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

I can't speak for others but my negative view of Ben comes from his contributions in stewarding the Star Citizen community into the toxic cesspool that we know and love, and his sycophantic worship of Chris Roberts. His weight is irrelevant outside of his personal health and for my part, I never bring it up.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

People would not be nearly as harsh on Ben if he were ripped as hell.

I feel like it would be a lot easier to look down on Ben for being such a shameless shill if he wasn't obviously under duress. But that's just me. I have no use for the guy but it's really horrible watching a guy put on 70 pounds a year lying for his childhood hero.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Back when I actually followed this game the only thing that really stood out to me about Ben was how totally oblivious he was. He seemed to have no idea what anyone else on the team was actually doing, to the point that anything he said was reliably inconsistent. I wouldn't be surprised if he simply didn't know enough about the game to realize they aren't doing this is in entirely good faith.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

What gets me is that all these visions and dreams for Star Citizen, if they somehow came true through the intervention of a deity or whatever, would take place in the most boring universe imaginable. The setting of their ultimate escapist sandbox is a boring, crumbling space empire with an explored galaxy, lame aliens, a lovely metaplot, and tiny, crappy little ships- at least EVE has some goddamn impressive scale. Where's the wonder of the unknown, the strange new worlds? Give me that virtual Enterprise-D, give me a galaxy far, far, away, give me Terra in the 41st millenium, give me anything but the UEE.

EDIT: I stopped sympathizing with Lesnick somewhat after hearing what a titanic rear end in a top hat he is on his fansite and with the Star Citizen community, and completely after someone said he wore that Wing Commander necklace to his loving wedding.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Toops posted:

Things over at Solar Plebeian are progressing nicely. The video quality really ruins immersion, but this is just a lil' teaser:

Once I get the UI done, and build a downloader/patcher which makes you re-download the entire game every time, I'll start posting weekly builds and write a dev blog. PM me if you want to lend a hand. Especially on the modeling/assets/animation side of things, I'm a loving programmer god dammit.

You're doing God's work.

Also new thread title

Star Citizen: "It will always be in development"

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Toops posted:

I can't handle the amount of fidelity in this video

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Toops posted:

Put me down for $5000. I'll pledge more as often as they'll let me sell plasma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dapper Dan posted:

And why Roberts? Two things: 1) Nostalgia and 'The Great Man' fallacy. We see nostalgia through rose colored glasses. It is hard to be objective with something that we enjoyed as kids, at least for a lot of people. Most of these people haven't played a game in years and it shows. To the guy who had to make up his own quests to the people desperately shipping a vending machine from point A to point B, it shows. The 'Great Man' fallacy is that Roberts is the father of the space sim genre, so he must be great and had this superb skill with game design. In reality, if you look at his track record, he got lucky with Wing Commander. He dreamed big, but he was limited by technology and money and time. This forced him to make something, and it came out really well. However, with Freelancer we see the Roberts we are seeing now. Money and time and pressure didn't matter, he was content with driving the game off a cliff for his 'vision'. Microsoft had to step in and basically fire him from his own game to get it shipped.

Re: Wing Commander
Source: "Game Design: Theory & Practice" (2004)

I found this summary of Wing Commander -- from an interview with Chris Crawford (author of several games and some classic works about game design) -- especially rich. Wing Commander's unprecedented cost (in the context of their time), the "creative internal accounting", the unfortunate portents for the industry and the ultimately cynical view of Roberts' legacy. I'm sure at the time of the interview (2003?), it was presumed Chris' contributions to the gaming industry were behind him.

Turns out he was just getting started!

• Locked thread