Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Darkpriest667 posted:

You're doing God's work.

Also new thread title

Star Citizen: "It will always be in development"

Thank you friend. Big up to Natron for the ship model. Also, got ships and a FPS character from Bman in "The asset parpline."

My goal here is to get hired by CIG and become a mole for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Khanstant posted:

lol what movies were these?
Already answered, I noticed but… :justpost: for more details.

The classic example is indeed Cleopatra (1963), which almost ruined 20th Century Fox due to how insanely expensive the production was. It is remembered as a bit of a box-office dud, but it actually received multiple Oscars and as mentioned was the highest-grossing movie of the year. It had a $44M budget (~$350M in current monies), which I think still makes it the most expensive move ever, or at least a contender for the top spot .

It wasn't alone, though. While others did better (relative to their budget), movies such as Spartacus, The 300 Spartans, and The Fall of the Roman Empire were pushing the boundaries of feasibility as everyone tried to out-do each other in terms of grandeur and spectacle. Things got so scary that, after it all came crashing down, it would take almost 40 years, up until Gladiator, for the whole Sword and Sandal genre to be revived.

Scruffpuff posted:

An economy? Establishing value, how money will be acquired, what it will be worth? How character growth and progression will occur? Getting new ships, their costs, and balancing that against the cash shop? No time for that right now, we have a fish tank to finish.

Crafting system? How mining will work, what materials will exist, how those will affect a marketplace we also haven't built? How inventory will work, virtualized vs. physicallized? No time for that, we have bathroom doors that are malfunctioning.

First person combat mechanics? How different guns will work, respawn mechanics, health regeneration mechanics, specifics of stealth gameplay, how FPS will fit in the overall theme? No time commando - we have a fancy helmet to redesign.

Physics? Putting mass and inertia into these huge ships, so they have some weight to them as they're flown? Establishing the different feels, strengths, and weaknesses that make every ship unique? That's on the back burner, we need to get the spaceman tongues rendered.

Specifics of the persistent universe? How boarding will work, pirating, combat, missions, pvp vs. pve, player communication, travel, localized physics, multicrew, science pods, and everything else we've promised? We'll get to it, right now we're building an in-game ship showroom.

Star Citizen: Development From the Top Down
At times, I do wish there was post upvoting. :golfclap:

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Literally Kermit posted:

Hey quick Diamond Frogs update!

Wow, got a big influx of Star Ex-Pats applying to Inara and the DF Discord, so I am scrambling to organize things a bit. I am giving everyone from here a temporary "role" (set of custom permissions) of "Stellar Commandos" so I can get an idea who is new. I'll be applying to older backers who jumped ship a while back, mostly because I am curious how many people left SC for a game that is already into its first expansion.

I'll throw in a bonus, and give Stellar Commandos a special secret channel, tentatively called #dereks-smarties

There has been a #starcitizen for months, actually - we use it for posting recipes and cats, in the spirit of this thread - but I figure you guys on Derek's payroll would appreciate an additional place to operate that "Deep Market" for LTI ship trading etc I heard all about.

It will take a couple of days to set it all up, so bear with me!

I have flown spaceships and shot at spaceships with other spaceships. I have done this with goons. I also docked a spaceship in a space station. Finally, I heard stories of goons in spaceships shooting other people who roleplay in spaceships and blowing them up causing a giant rift in self valuation.

I spent $60 on this.

So far so good.

Join Diamond Frogs. Spaceships.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

G0RF posted:

Re: Wing Commander
Source: "Game Design: Theory & Practice" (2004)

I found this summary of Wing Commander -- from an interview with Chris Crawford (author of several games and some classic works about game design) -- especially rich. Wing Commander's unprecedented cost (in the context of their time), the "creative internal accounting", the unfortunate portents for the industry and the ultimately cynical view of Roberts' legacy. I'm sure at the time of the interview (2003?), it was presumed Chris' contributions to the gaming industry were behind him.

Turns out he was just getting started!

the author must still be shaking his head from when he first heard that nerds had given chris roberts 100million dollars and 0 accountability.

do disco and ben hold the same job title? or is disco the community guy relegating ben to full-time boot licker and web show personality?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

G0RF posted:

I found this summary of Wing Commander -- from an interview with Chris Crawford (author of several games and some classic works about game design) -- especially rich. Wing Commander's unprecedented cost (in the context of their time), the "creative internal accounting", the unfortunate portents for the industry and the ultimately cynical view of Roberts' legacy. I'm sure at the time of the interview (2003?), it was presumed Chris' contributions to the gaming industry were behind him.

Conclusion: Chris won't save PC gaming, but he sure ruined it. :haw:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

the author must still be shaking his head from when he first heard that nerds had given chris roberts 100million dollars and 0 accountability.

Yeah that article is loving depressing. Christ Roberts: Ruining Goddamn Everything Since 1990.

EDIT: f,b

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

That article is one of the most depressing things I've read about video games.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Now he's come back to finish off crowd funding.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Wing Commander pt 2: Robert's Revenge

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

And you leave out the bit about H.R. Giger? It all makes sense now.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tokamak posted:

A lot of streamers believe they are self-important. After all, even popular streamers on the lower end with 10,000 subscribers will have perhaps 1000 average views per video. I imagine to a streamer that it feels like you have 1000 friends who are hanging off your every word. In reality, they are probably after cheap entertainment, and don't give too much of a poo poo about your views.

It's so weird because they're barely producing anything. I feel like hot poo poo when like a dozen people see something I made and like it on instagram or whatever but a) I technically made something and b) I don't tell those dozen people about every sketch I poo poo out for the rest of my life. I wonder what kind of insane person I'd turn into if people started watching me play videogames and rewarding me for aberrant behaviour?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

Yeah, that guy clearly doesn't understand Game Development.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Dusty Lens posted:

Now he's come back to finish off crowd funding.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

skaboomizzy posted:

Put me down for $5000. I'll pledge more as often as they'll let me sell plasma.

We actually take blood donations directly. Thanks for your pledge, Plebeian.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

G0RF posted:

Chris Roberts' legacy: leaving a gigantic tire fire with whatever he touches.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Dr. Mushmouth or: How I learned to love the Parp

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
MEIN FÜHRER! I CAN PAAAARP!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Someone get onto it and make Star Citizen the text adventure already, that would be actually doable and much more entertaining. Please add space grues.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

BigglesSWE posted:

MEIN FÜHRER! I CAN PAAAARP!

:laffo:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ewe2 posted:

Someone get onto it and make Star Citizen the text adventure already, that would be actually doable and much more entertaining. Please add space grues.

Is it ok if it's web based?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

ewe2 posted:

The follow-up to Solar Plebeian will be an isometric ARPG which starts you in a desolate wasteland, exiled from Hollywood. You must battle your way through rivers of nostalgic retards using might and magic to regain enough money, prestige, and blow to defeat the mighty Kevin Costner and regain your rightful place on The Throne of Silver Screens.

You choose from one of 4 characters:

Name: Crobberstus
Class: Mage
Signature Ability: Dreams (Spell, arcane)

Name: Sandimedus
Class: Succubus
Signature Ability: Hellfury (Spell, fire)

Name: Ben-Hut
Class: Paladin
Signature Ability: Smitehammer of Ban (Physical, holy)

Name: Homeless Santa
Class: Santa
Signature Ability: Survival Shield of perseverance (Aura, unholy)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Tippis posted:

Conclusion: Chris won't save PC gaming, but he sure ruined it. :haw:

thankfully in the decade since (thanks in no small part to things like steam and the humble bundle) you can get hit games with indie budgets so it's not as bad as it could be

Kavak posted:

What gets me is that all these visions and dreams for Star Citizen, if they somehow came true through the intervention of a deity or whatever, would take place in the most boring universe imaginable. The setting of their ultimate escapist sandbox is a boring, crumbling space empire with an explored galaxy, lame aliens, a lovely metaplot, and tiny, crappy little ships- at least EVE has some goddamn impressive scale. Where's the wonder of the unknown, the strange new worlds? Give me that virtual Enterprise-D, give me a galaxy far, far, away, give me Terra in the 41st millenium, give me anything but the UEE.

EDIT: I stopped sympathizing with Lesnick somewhat after hearing what a titanic rear end in a top hat he is on his fansite and with the Star Citizen community, and completely after someone said he wore that Wing Commander necklace to his loving wedding.

the depressing thing to me is always there's a hint of a good game in there, and it'll never see the light of day because it's bogged down by nonexistent design docs, perpetually fluid priorities, horrible tech choices and a heaping helping of "me-too"ism from every other game that's been dev'd or released since the SC kickstarter

not that it matters since E:D will basically be "everything SC tried to be" before SC gets out of the starting gate, but it's always sad to see those "could have been" early access/kickstarter projects poo poo the bed (before you count drama and real-life entertainment value, in which case SC's easily paid for itself)

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the CIG drama ARG is the best game ive played probably forever

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

alf_pogs posted:

the CIG drama ARG is the best game ive played probably forever

Q4 2016 it's revealed that derek smart was on the cig payroll the entire time, CITCON has derek and chris onstage revealing Citizen of Defense 3001AD

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Q4 2016 it's revealed that derek smart was on the cig payroll the entire time, CITCON has derek and chris onstage revealing Citizen of Defense 3001AD

they launch a kickstarter to raise enough money to cover the game and pull in enough wealth to topple the UN. bobby kotick starts writing inflammatory blogs about how derek smart and chris roberts are going to fail and why. an alpha is released, all customer refunds are denied. the cylons destroy earth and humanity looks to the stars for our new home

all of this has happened before. all of this shall happen again

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Tippis posted:

Is it ok if it's web based?

Why not! I'm too lazy to do it in Inform 7 but maybe someone else is keen.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

alf_pogs posted:

they launch a kickstarter to raise enough money to cover the game and pull in enough wealth to topple the UN. bobby kotick starts writing inflammatory blogs about how derek smart and chris roberts are going to fail and why. an alpha is released, all customer refunds are denied. the cylons destroy earth and humanity looks to the stars for our new home

meanwhile the thread's 40th iteration hits the 20,000 post mark with a celebration of lesnick's ascendance to the class of "light armored vehicle"

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Things over at Solar Plebeian are progressing nicely. The video quality really ruins immersion, but this is just a lil' teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAnBanN6iw

Once I get the UI done, and build a downloader/patcher which makes you re-download the entire game every time, I'll start posting weekly builds and write a dev blog. PM me if you want to lend a hand. Especially on the modeling/assets/animation side of things, I'm a loving programmer god dammit.

:gary: PAAAAAARP

:five:

lol, you could probably make a better game than SC with just Unity Store Assets

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

meanwhile the thread's 40th iteration hits the 20,000 post mark with a celebration of lesnick's ascendance to the class of "light armored vehicle"

battlestar lesnick finally launches into space

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

alf_pogs posted:

battlestar lesnick finally launches into space

and derek still hasn't recorded goondeyada

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I do think SC has a legitimately good idea in "let's make an expansive, immersive space game with lots of physics and detail"

I'm not sure how much design has changed, but last I was aware they wanted exploration to be a big thing, to the the extent that new systems would be discovered by players.

I think a lot of people, goons included, were actually very excited for the game outside of nostalgia. Space games were coming back in a big way and SC seemed like the epitome of that trend. It's been a long time since Freespace.

Of course, it ends up turning out that the entire project suffers from extreme mismanagement, all the usual plagues of concurrent development plus runaway feature creep. Another thing I'd guess is that as all this become more obvious the RSI community becomes more radical as regular people get off the bandwagon.

Toops posted:

Name: Crobberstus
Class: Mage
Signature Ability: Dreams (Spell, arcane)

drat.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sperglord posted:

The guy who posted his CitizenCard next to his Wehrmacht medals probably never had a greater day in his life until he visited CIG.

The best bit about this thread is how you can make something stupid up, post a citizen comment from RSI or photoshop something and people can't tell if it's real or not due to all the other crazy stuff that's happening.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
So for all the problems because of micromanagement from Chris Roberts, and the troubles with trying to reasonably do ship-to-ship combat when every ship is its own instance but will also be able to 100% interact with the outside instances, and for the ships and clothing to be silly looking and over-designed with too many polygons and moving parts which are just going to slow the game down, how come the physics is all hosed up? People have been doing physics in video games for a long time. For almost 2 decades now, there have been games with objects sitting in a 3D world without constantly vibrating and jerking around like they were a book in an Elder Scrolls game the player is trying to neatly place in a bookshelf, except that's okay because it only happens for a few seconds, and only when you're doing pointless window dressing.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So for all the problems because of micromanagement from Chris Roberts, and the troubles with trying to reasonably do ship-to-ship combat when every ship is its own instance but will also be able to 100% interact with the outside instances, and for the ships and clothing to be silly looking and over-designed with too many polygons and moving parts which are just going to slow the game down, how come the physics is all hosed up? People have been doing physics in video games for a long time. For almost 2 decades now, there have been games with objects sitting in a 3D world without constantly vibrating and jerking around like they were a book in an Elder Scrolls game the player is trying to neatly place in a bookshelf, except that's okay because it only happens for a few seconds, and only when you're doing pointless window dressing.

because its a hacked together cryengine mod

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Toops posted:

Things over at Solar Plebeian are progressing nicely. The video quality really ruins immersion, but this is just a lil' teaser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAnBanN6iw

Once I get the UI done, and build a downloader/patcher which makes you re-download the entire game every time, I'll start posting weekly builds and write a dev blog. PM me if you want to lend a hand. Especially on the modeling/assets/animation side of things, I'm a loving programmer god dammit.

:gary: PAAAAAARP

Wow! you're making a game? Cool. Will it have FPS?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ewe2 posted:

Their sci-fi had grotches, too. Lore was better, too-- although what Meretzky wrote as farce seems eerily prescient...

Planetfall manual posted:

"First, blueprints for huge, multipurpose starships were drawn up. Next, designers from Vandermeek, the fashion capitol of the universe, were commissioned to create the perfect uniform: functional, comfortable, and virtually indestructible. Then, a highly sophisticated, incredibly accurate weapon prototype was assembled..."

"The Stellar Patrol is like a giant, ever-growing, benevolent bird."

"Loyalty to the Union must be limitless and unconditional..."

"The patrol made me an organism my progenitors can be proud of..."
History doesn't repeat; it rhymes.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Dapper Dan posted:

The main villain will be D'orak Smurv, Solar Warlord and his elite Groons.

Don't forget Senior Lo'taxia

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

I agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Unrelated: The Master is now on Netflix.

Not a cult.

• Locked thread