Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Rondette posted:

I watched the Everest film recently (and actually FELL ASLEEP during the storm part) and I thought the real 'heroes' were the pilots who managed to fly a helicopter to an as unyet attempted height, at great risk to their own safety, to rescue an American guy who wanted something to tick off his bucket list.

IDK why mountaineering films rarely work- I suppose the main problem is that none of the people doing it (In the Everest film anyway) are doing it for any cause other than Ego. It's kinda hard to empathise and root for people in that situation. It's a shame it was such a disappointing film, I was really looking forward to it.

I really hope there's eventually one that focuses entirely on that aspect, lots of interviews with families of climbers before they leave, editing to point out the hollowness of the entire affair... Grizzly Man but with dozens of Treadwells every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Since he's going for records, I would assume he's climbed these places several times and he knows the route he is going to take. It's a simple matter of placing cameras and people along his route.

Pretty much. He's climbed the north face of Eiger 40+ times at this point so they know where to place cameras and when/where to do flyovers.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
Finally watching ever ever ever ever rest rest rest rest. I read all the books recommended in one of these threads before and it's actually great to get a picture of all the places I'd only heard described before (north col etc). The animated graphic they do zooming between the camps is great for a sense of scale too.

Has there ever been an estimate of how long it would take to go from base camp to summit if oxygen levels were similar to ocean level (while maintaining the other difficulties like carrying packs, navigating the ice fall etc)

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Chicken Doodle posted:

I'm always a big fan of Touching the Void. It's not Everest, it's not about famous people, but it's goddamn amazing. Should be on Netflix I hope.

The best mountaineering documentary. The re-creation climbing bits are really good too.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jose posted:

Are there any good behind the scenes stuff of how things like ueli steck records get filmed?

since it probably fits with the thread alex honnold does some ridiculous stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn2tHcZEnF0

Most of the badass Ueli Steck videos are actually re-enactments. He goes out and does the climb in 3 hours or whatever with no cameras around, and then on a different day they just shoot film of him on some of the more cinematic spots. He's on the same route on the same mountain, but there's not the same time pressure, and they can do a take again and stuff like that.

Edit: Here's a "making of" for one of his more famous videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llb1pjUi-Cg

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Happy Hedonist posted:

Pretty much. He's climbed the north face of Eiger 40+ times at this point so they know where to place cameras and when/where to do flyovers.

for records yeah but what about when its supposedly the case of someone doing their first climb or whatever? is that just not true and they practice it a bunch and film it. What do they use for the side of the mountain shots? A helicopter and a long distance lens?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

gohuskies posted:

Most of the badass Ueli Steck videos are actually re-enactments. He goes out and does the climb in 3 hours or whatever with no cameras around, and then on a different day they just shoot film of him on some of the more cinematic spots. He's on the same route on the same mountain, but there's not the same time pressure, and they can do a take again and stuff like that.

This is also how Top Gear filmed their challenges.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
the best mountaineering film is the eiger sanction spoof episode in archer

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

gohuskies posted:

Edit: Here's a "making of" for one of his more famous videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llb1pjUi-Cg

cool this is what i was after thanks

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

The best mountaineering documentary. The re-creation climbing bits are really good too.

Yeah it's the only cinema-released film that I would say is a good Mountaineering film - and it's more documentary than film.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Jose posted:

for records yeah but what about when its supposedly the case of someone doing their first climb or whatever? is that just not true and they practice it a bunch and film it. What do they use for the side of the mountain shots? A helicopter and a long distance lens?

I guess you bring a GoPro or pay a cameraman to lug his poo poo along and film you. The latter obviously isn't feasible when you're doing crazy Ueli Steck style poo poo. For instance, he doesn't have video evidence of his record Annapurna climb because his camera poo poo the bed and they didn't have a clear shot of his summit or even know where the hell he was at the base camp.

Here's my favorite climbing documentary and it includes an interview with the cameraman that came along.

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/ng-live/libecki-richards-antarctica-lecture-nglive?source=relatedvideo

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i watched Beyond the Edge last night on Netflix, they did a hella good job with that film.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Has anyone seen Meru? I think I'm going to watch that tonight instead of the Superbowl.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Happy Hedonist posted:

Has anyone seen Meru? I think I'm going to watch that tonight instead of the Superbowl.

It's pretty amazing and if I wasn't pretty sure I would have heard of the death of Conrad Anker, I would have bet on 3 dead a couple of times. Cool movie, and an absolutely crazy climb.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Those speed climbing videos make me look away from the screen, and I'm not normally one for fear of heights.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

A Japanese movie about Everest is coming out soon, idk if it's just a copy of the Hollywood film or not http://everest-movie.jp/sp/
But they actually filmed on location which is p rare for Japanese movies in the cg age.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

peanut posted:

A Japanese movie about Everest is coming out soon, idk if it's just a copy of the Hollywood film or not http://everest-movie.jp/sp/
But they actually filmed on location which is p rare for Japanese movies in the cg age.

Just looked it up and It's based on the manga/book "summit of the gods".

"it follows Fukamachi, a photographer who finds a camera supposedly belonging to George Mallory, a mountaineer who went missing on Mount Everest, and goes on a mountain-climbing adventure along with his friend Habu Joji"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Required viewing for the type of egotists who want to climb everest.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaoYSiNDnI0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VRl0A4-G_Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbFl5cCNcB4

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Give me 38 if it is still available.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

ZombieLenin posted:

Give me 38 if it is still available.

I took that already, but we an share if you want.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Touching the Void, those guys were British as gently caress.

Also: holy gently caress.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Touching the Void, those guys were British as gently caress.

Also: holy gently caress.

Was that the one where the guy and his best friend went up Everest, and only one came down and all his toes died and fell off? Because that one was really sad.

Or was that the one where the guy thought he was going to die with Boney M going through his head?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The second one. I think I'm creating a fear of heights for myself by watching this poo poo. It's unbelievable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Is any summit considered harder than K2?

I know that Annapurna kills more climbers, but that’s mostly in avalanches. Avalanches don’t make the climb harder, they just add a Russian roulette element.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I watched Meru last night and the shark fin certainly looks extremely difficult. I have no idea if it's more difficult than k2, but it looks it.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I rewatched the 1996 IMAX documentary the other night. Holy crap is that documentary 90s as gently caress.

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
#Everest has a new build available with a bunch of bugfixes, a few new features, and the latest death pool predictions as a secret easter egg that will only be visible while you are in the depths of madness. You can download it here

Also #Everest won an award for best use of the theme "chill", and is the running for the community choice awards. If you liked #Everest you should vote for it here so that Shriya's sacrifice will not have been in vain

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
Another cloud gif from the Everest region: https://giant.gfycat.com/EssentialBeneficialBlackfly.webm

Nuggan fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 16, 2016

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.
Sweet 64mb gif file dude. You're posting from Gfycat - use Gifv/webm

Serak fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 16, 2016

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

can we get one with a bunch of bodies laying there frozen?

Koil
Jun 24, 2005

two weeks
I think the amount will be 36

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

#Everest has a new build available with a bunch of bugfixes, a few new features, and the latest death pool predictions as a secret easter egg that will only be visible while you are in the depths of madness. You can download it here

It just gives me a pop-up window telling me I'm not running the latest version, and I should go to the website and download it. :(

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Comrade Koba posted:

It just gives me a pop-up window telling me I'm not running the latest version, and I should go to the website and download it. :(

I'll have a look at that, might be a caching issue with our server. Regardless, the game should still start after you click OK in the window! Let me know if it doesn't as that'd be a serious bug!

(If it really won't start the game, turn off your internet and try running the game, if it can't connect to the server it won't give you a popup at all.)

E: when did you download it? I checked our server and it's fine; I double checked the game code and that should be fine. Maybe you downloaded it before we pushed the update? Regardless, the game should still start; let me know if it doesn't.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 16, 2016

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Comrade Koba posted:

It should still launch the game in a separate window after you close the version update notification, is it giving any additional errors? Also you've installed XNA 4.0 previously, right?

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Xibanya posted:

I'll have a look at that, might be a caching issue with our server. Regardless, the game should still start after you click OK in the window! Let me know if it doesn't as that'd be a serious bug!

(If it really won't start the game, turn off your internet and try running the game, if it can't connect to the server it won't give you a popup at all.)

E: when did you download it? I checked our server and it's fine; I double checked the game code and that should be fine. Maybe you downloaded it before we pushed the update? Regardless, the game should still start; let me know if it doesn't.

After the pop-up it just closes down.

The earlier builds did nothing when I tried to start them so no change there. I guess it just crashes for some reason without giving an error message.

(Yes, I have both runtimes installed)

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug

Comrade Koba posted:

After the pop-up it just closes down.

The earlier builds did nothing when I tried to start them so no change there. I guess it just crashes for some reason without giving an error message.

(Yes, I have both runtimes installed)

What graphics card and version of Windows are you using?

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.
The UK's biggest hill could be claiming victims this year proving you don't have to go big to die up a mountain. http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/feb/16/tim-newton-rachel-slater-climbers-missing-ben-nevis-mountain

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ziggy Starfucker posted:

What graphics card and version of Windows are you using?

Radeon HD 5870, Windows 10.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Can I get 33

The mountain gods will be thirstay this yesr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

StoneOfShame posted:

...proving you don't have to go big to die up a mountain.

I lived in Arizona and people would die there on little mountains because 110 degrees F and no water or shade will do that to you faster than tourists think it will.