Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Melthir posted:

Wife's FiST arrives tomorrow. Any suggestions on break in oil.

Some like to change the original oil once or even twice really early so you don't have the risk of any bits of engine floating around in the oil as you are breaking it in. I did mine at 350 and today at 5000. Using stock OEM oil and filter. Of course abide by all the instructions in the manual regarding mixing up engine speeds and all that. She's gonna love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Voltage posted:

Not the hottest, but the 2017 US chevy cruze is a hatch now, 1.4t with a stick.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/11/2017-chevy-cruze-hatchback-naias-detroit-official/

This looks like some sort of infected wart or callus.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I don't think the exterior looks too bad.

The interior on the other hand - if you're going to wholesale copy one of your competitors at least choose someone with a better layout than Ford

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Another convient thing I found with the FiST is thagt walmart carries the OEM Motorcraft filter (and oil) for a few bucks.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Voltage posted:

Not the hottest, but the 2017 US chevy cruze is a hatch now, 1.4t with a stick.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/11/2017-chevy-cruze-hatchback-naias-detroit-official/

The color certainly isnt flattering ill say that. is that a pre-existing GM color (it looks like the yellow used on the Camaro somewhat but I dont think it is) or is it some kind of tone deaf copy of the Focus' tangerine scream?

Much of Chevy's current styling and designs, especially on crossovers and most of their sedans are just so incredibly bland

Ripoff posted:

their target audience (current 16-25 year olds) are more interested in the number of ways their car can interface with their cellphone, read tweets/texts aloud and basically do anything but driving.

and this seems to be what GM is relying on to sell these vehicles.

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 7, 2016

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.
Oil catch cans. Worth it if I'm adding to the car? Also what's the difference between stage one and two.

If this question is stupid I apologize in advance I'm used to working on marine engines and a POS (unstoppable ) bronco

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Dr.Caligari posted:

Another convient thing I found with the FiST is thagt walmart carries the OEM Motorcraft filter (and oil) for a few bucks.

Yep, that's where I get mine. $17 for the oil and filter.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
The veloster forum is hung up on catch cans, usually put two on. When they show watch they catch though it is likst 90% fuel then a mixture of condensation and oil. I would like an opinion on this. It seems it doesn't help with carbon build but they just ramble about lspi too...

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Mariana Horchata posted:

Much of Chevy's current styling and designs, especially on crossovers and most of their sedans are just so incredibly bland

Chevy's current designs feel so... corporate. Like when a large company does a big rebrand, and now all their design is consistent, but it's consistently terrible. I like when a car company manages a unified look and feel for their cars, but if you're going to do that, make sure it looks real good and that the design language can fit each type of vehicle. Audi and BMW are good examples of doing it right.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I really don't think the BMW corporate design scales down well either

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010

The new generation 1 series looks pretty good i think, it was mostly the droopy headlights that ruined the last one.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Killstick posted:

The new generation 1 series looks pretty good i think, it was mostly the droopy headlights that ruined the last one.

That and the crease in the door of the pre-facelift models that made them look like they were sagging in the middle.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

jammyozzy posted:

That and the crease in the door of the pre-facelift models that made them look like they were sagging in the middle.

Was that ever fixed in the US models before they killed the 1 series name?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Christobevii3 posted:

The veloster forum is hung up on catch cans, usually put two on. When they show watch they catch though it is likst 90% fuel then a mixture of condensation and oil. I would like an opinion on this. It seems it doesn't help with carbon build but they just ramble about lspi too...

Seems like a big thing in the Fiesta ST community as well, so I'm also interested in hearing people's thoughts. Is it actually doing something helpful or is what it's collecting basically a placebo?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
On engines that are prone to carbon build up, oil catch cans do nothing to prevent it. On engines that aren't prone to carbon deposits, any difference it makes will be so minor it will be lost in normal wear and tear on the engine.

If you have to remove the head to clean carbon deposits you may as well port the exhaust manifold, throw in some new cams, maybe upgrade the turbo while you're at it. :getin:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Christobevii3 posted:

It's not a terrible idea, IMO. It can't hurt in SPI reduction but the real cause (that I know of so far) has a lot to do with engine oil, so try changing that up to something else/better. I like the idea of catch cans but don't really care for the added maintenance of emptying it and monitoring the level of it. AOS's where they dump back into the sump on their own seems the best method to me.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Does even one single production car from any manufacturer come from the factory with an oil catch can? With how long they've been around if they actually did something worthwhile the manufacturers would have included it in their designs long ago.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 8, 2016

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My mazdaspeed Miata has one. No idea whether it does anything worthwhile though.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
VW and Audi had them on models to help with carbon build up but didn't so stopped on next models

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

GutBomb posted:

Does even one single production car from any manufacturer come from the factory with an oil catch can? With how long they've been around if they actually did something worthwhile the manufacturers would have included it in their designs long ago.

You forget that automakers can't just make things however they want just because there's a benefit. There's cost, emissions regulations, and probably a billion other layers of red tape in the way of getting something approved. With more turbo DI engines being more mainstream, I wouldn't be surprised if something like that was done from an OEM or some other form of mitigation vs. SPI, knock, and that junk pooling up in intercoolers/charge piping.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ripoff posted:

As for your original question, one of the big things that I've always wondered about is why Chevy and Dodge don't participate in the hot hatch segment anymore,

Chevy is getting back in the game, I like it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

leica posted:

Chevy is getting back in the game, I like it.

It bears repeating it's not even a good copy:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fyodor posted:

It bears repeating it's not even a good copy:

Isn't the Chevy like a quarter smaller though?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

GutBomb posted:

BMW has had oil/air separators since at least the late 90's.

Cellular Suicide
Dec 9, 2005

Classical 33's at 45RPM

Rhyno posted:

Isn't the Chevy like a quarter smaller though?

If so, still not even a good copy:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cellular Suicide posted:

If so, still not even a good copy:

Yeah, those sure are all different hatchbacks.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

Yeah, those sure are all different hatchbacks.

Looks more like a Civic hatch or a current Scirraco.

Why do companies keep wasting the space by downsloping the hatch so much?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

veedubfreak posted:

Emissions and or safety is usually the answer, right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

veedubfreak posted:

I'm not really convinced it wastes all that much usable space.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

fyodor posted:

Emissions and or safety is usually the answer, right?

Aerodynamics for fuel efficiency as well. I'm guessing a traditional hatchback design creates a poo poo ton of drag.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm not really convinced it wastes all that much usable space.

It really cuts into the height of stuff you can jam in the boot.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

fknlo posted:

Aerodynamics for fuel efficiency as well. I'm guessing a traditional hatchback design creates a poo poo ton of drag.

Yea I meant aero under the blanket "emissions" clause. It's why every hood is the same and every wheel well is rimmed with a chopped vertical edge.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I just did a quick comparison of the popular catbacks available for a FoST. The following is a representation of my reactions:

MBRP :haw:
Cobb :hawaaaafap:
Borla :black101:
Roush :stonk:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Does a catback even do anything for most modern cars any more other than giving you a bit more sound? Isn't most of the restriction at the downpipe/cat?

Also, why are aftermarket exhausts so drat expensive these days. Is stainless steel becoming a rare commodity?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

veedubfreak posted:

Does a catback even do anything for most modern cars any more other than giving you a bit more sound? Isn't most of the restriction at the downpipe/cat?

Also, why are aftermarket exhausts so drat expensive these days. Is stainless steel becoming a rare commodity?

Stainless is not, but demand is driving the exhausts up, in my opinion. I'm gonna learn TIG welding and make my own loving exhaust out of stainless pipes and it'll be pennies compared to what retailers want.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

veedubfreak posted:

Catbacks do not do much, you're right. And downpipes tend to add power simply because they remove or reduce the size of the cat. They are all absurdly overpriced.

Edit: other than change the sound (catbacks)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

willroc7 posted:

Catbacks do not do much, you're right. And downpipes tend to add power simply because they remove or reduce the size of the cat. They are all absurdly overpriced.

The FoST exhaust note is particularly subdued. By the time you've done a down pipe and catback you may as well do the full stage 3.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Most modern cars are bottled up at the header/downpipe for sure. But I'm not sure using a header + stock exhaust isn't still reducing gains you would see from going full 3" all the way back or whatever. Depends on the car probably.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

On the veloster turbo in 2016 there is a post cat so if you tune at all it will cut power due to the restriction. But yeah you might gain a few hp for a ton of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

willroc7 posted:

I was surprised to find that the MBRP (the 'XP' stainless steel one) catback for the Fiesta ST is only about $400-500 shipped. I think I may go for it since it's one of my favorite sounding of the exhausts that are available in a guilty pleasure sort of way (as it sounds closest to the Abarth, the FiST doesn't sound bad at all but it's just too drat quiet on the outside in comparison). I will miss the stealthiness of the FiST is stock form but I'm sure I'd get over that pretty quickly. But yeah a catback alone is only going to net a slight boost of 8-10hp or so but like I said that's not the main reason why I'd be buying it. :rice:

If that's what I end up doing I think that will make me happy for a while as I'm still not really dissatisfied with the stock level of power (or handling, or anything else really - it's really an amazing car and everything feels very balanced as well) after owning it for about three months now. I also don't feel like getting involved with tuning once again just yet and would much rather be spending that money on another motorcycle instead to keep the mileage down during the nice months...and then maybe going with the Mountune MP215 kit or something equivalent next year and calling it a day. I feel like I'm already going to be ripping through sets of tires quickly enough as it is anyways and retaining warranty coverage would be nice. :love: this little shitbox so much!

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 13, 2016