Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

kikkelivelho posted:

How is this thing ever going to run on a console when it regularly brings state of the art PCs to their knees. Or are we talking about a PS5 / XBONE2 release?

Surely, since they are poised to save PC gaming from dumbed-down console ports and adaptations, they will not just dial back the “fidelity” of the whole thing to more sensible levels (and redesign everything from scratch for the 18th time). Surely.

(:ssh: They will. Just before the money runs out — that way, consoles are to blame too.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

kikkelivelho posted:

The current thing is also missing most of the things. How many more things can it possibly miss?

They'll change it from Squadron42.exe to Squadron42.mp4 :v:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Daztek posted:

It'd still have a wonky framerate and freaky culling issues as a pre-rendered video, let's be honest here.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tippis posted:

Surely, since they are poised to save PC gaming from dumbed-down console ports and adaptations, they will not just dial back the “fidelity” of the whole thing to more sensible levels (and redesign everything from scratch for the 18th time). Surely.

(:ssh: They will. Just before the money runs out — that way, consoles are to blame too.)

ill be more interested in how CIG plans to get the console version running stable enough so it can pass certification

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

I wouldn't call him a "hero", he's more a "Jack Sparrow" if you're feeling generous.

"I ask you to judge me by the enemies I have made."

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Toops posted:

Nice. I'm thinking docking sequences should be set to "Blue Danube Waltz for 12 Airhorns."

I've discovered there's a whole subreddit devoted to Air Horn remixes of songs.

I was hoping for Also sprach Zarathustra on Air Horns but Sound of Silence on Air Horns is pretty good.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

In addition I would like to see Jerry Seinfeld brought in to play my funny guy jewish sidekick in Squadron 42

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

I think Jerry would be a great choice for this role and he could basically just riff on funny everyday stuff that happens in the 'verse

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Khanstant posted:

It's so weird because they're barely producing anything. I feel like hot poo poo when like a dozen people see something I made and like it on instagram or whatever but a) I technically made something and b) I don't tell those dozen people about every sketch I poo poo out for the rest of my life. I wonder what kind of insane person I'd turn into if people started watching me play videogames and rewarding me for aberrant behaviour?

Oh that's not true they're producing like 6 Youtube shows.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Darkpriest667 posted:

Oh that's not true they're producing like 6 Youtube shows.

Nothing but hot air, that's all they're producing.

Krakenwagen
Oct 31, 2015

darkarchon posted:

You got to fuel those PARPS with something.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

kikkelivelho posted:

How is this thing ever going to run on a console when it regularly brings state of the art PCs to their knees. Or are we talking about a PS5 / XBONE2 release?

By the time it happens star citizens release coinciding with that of the seventh xbox will come as no surprise to anyone

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

darkarchon posted:

It's contributing to the revival of Sandy's acting career that never happened.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Darkpriest667 posted:

It's contributing to the revival of Sandy's acting career that never happened.

I didn't realize you don't have to learn your lines to be an actress.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

mp4? Real innovators use .avi, commando.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

But then there will be no advanced features and interactivity. It's FLV or nothing!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

kikkelivelho posted:

The permadeath thread on CIG forums owns:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/317101/this-permadeath-thing-has-got-me-worried

Kerzic and Eldragon bring up the uncomfortable point that many of the features croberts has promised can't possibly coexist in the same game. The defense arguments range from "Chris is creating something completely new and amazing, don't you trust Chris?" to "maybe the answer is somewhere in the middle".

:psyduck:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

We are talking about CIG. Expect .wmv.

Edit:

Tippis posted:

But then there will be no advanced features and interactivity. It's FLV or nothing!
My bad, you win.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tippis posted:

Iglocska posted:

We are talking about CIG. Expect .wmv.

Clearly this is an area that requires more research. I think they should open up a several-million-dollar format research center to ensure that citizens get the BDVFE.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Toops posted:

We actually take blood donations directly. Thanks for your pledge, Plebeian.

You know, I have TWO kidneys. What kind of package can I get for one of them?

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

AP posted:

35 Weeks until Citizen Con 2016.
Can't wait. The tears will be awesome.

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Every Premium Miriel post should be dearly treasured. I'm almost convinced this guy is a troll, these post read like the ones I made in the GBS star citizen threads.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Beet Wagon posted:

Clearly this is an area that requires more research. I think they should open up a several-million-dollar format research center to ensure that citizens get the BDVFE.

You know how some DVDs and BRs list “interactive menus” as a special feature on the back? Well, there's only one way to make those innovations happen on the computer screen.

…well, there's .vob, I suppose, but that's cheating.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tippis posted:

You know how some DVDs and BRs list “interactive menus” as a special feature on the back? Well, there's only one way to make those innovations happen on the computer screen.

…well, there's .vob, I suppose, but that's cheating.

Clearly you don't understand video development. I demand another studio!

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer
You must do this.
Be a frog.

Time to start shooting.

ED on sale -50%
doeeet.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Beet Wagon posted:

Clearly this is an area that requires more research. I think they should open up a several-million-dollar format research center

only one?

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
~*BELIEVE IN CHRIS*~
▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬

When you look at todays MMOs, they sacrifice alot of "content" to make them static, less dynamic, i wouldent say other deveolpers are "idiots", i say they sacrifice development to dummify and mainstream MMOs, into something that is created in the name of profit... When CR started this enterprice he been fairly clear of what he wish to do, a alive and immersive universe, to put more focus in making the SC alive rather then just a game... And its nothing impossible about that, its just you cant have the bland MMO you want, couse thats not what CR is making... and that bland MMO, is not what CR has got the backers money or vote to make... your trying to force your will onto a project you cant know will work or not... if you dont like what CR is making there are plenty of traditional MMOs out there... let CR make the inovative dream of his !

▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬
~*BELIEVE IN CHRIS*~
▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

Star Citizen is not Pay to Win, because everything you can buy won't be in the actual game :smug:

:golfclap:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
Yeah it's basically Pay to Pray right now.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
How to: Get More Star Citizen Referrals

quote:

Star Citizen Referrals are a touchy subject. The rewards are great but the Star Citizen community, as a whole, is seemingly against sharing them and rightfully so.

When the Star Citizen Referral program was released, everyone was posting their referral codes everywhere. The Star Citizen player communities were full of them. And that is the problem.. the Star Citizen player communities were full of them.

People were posting their referral codes in communities of people that ALREADY had the game. That’s like asking a person who is walking out of a store with a new coffee maker if he or she wants to buy a new coffee maker…

There are some great programs out there for Star Citizen Referral codes. Reddit has a great tool that allows players to submit their Star Citizen Referral code into a database and when someone decides they are ready to pull the trigger on Star Citizen the database will spit out a random referral code for them to use. It really cut down on spam in the player communities.

The problem with the Reddit code generator is scope. It’s a 100% passive program that you put your code into and just sit and wait. After you put your code in, there is nothing else you can do but wait and see what happens.

Star Citizen ReferralSo, we here at The Lone Gamers decided to push the envelope a bit. We came up with the The Lone Gamers Star Citizen Referral Program. It’s pretty simple.

Basically you send us traffic and we send you referrals. This site has a TON of great Star Citizen content that is easily searchable – it sells the game for you. There are no gimmicks, no face full of advertising… nothing like that. It’s as simple as sharing a link to OUR page, the potential recruit reads our page and clicks YOUR referral link on OUR page. We get some traffic and exposure, you get referrals. A fair deal.

I’ve had a few players send me emails, instant messages, and hop on Teamspeak to thank me for the referrals they are getting. We had one, “VileHarvester” comment on the site and claim 3 referrals in 24 hours. While there are no metrics to say for sure if the referrals came from using our referral program, I’m pretty sure it helped them all.

Maximizing Star Citizen Referrals
But this program isn’t just for the people that want to share their link once and forget about it like so many others do. This is for the go-getters. Those that actually and whole heartedly believe in Star Citizen. Those that want their friends to play the game with them. Those that want to spread the word of Star Citizen.

We designed it around recruiting from non-Star Citizen communities. Use it to recruit from your social circle (Facebook is great) or from OTHER game communities… your Battlefield clan perhaps. Our referral program is a one shot, one kill system. We set you up for success with outstanding content, now set yourself up for success by actively recruiting for Star Citizen with our site. We built it for YOU… the Star Citizen enthusiast.

So why don’t you stop waiting on hopes and dreams of dropping your referral codes off in random spots around the web and check out our Star Citizen Referral Program.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Berious posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM THE KEYBOARD AND MOUSE. ITS THE STAR SHITIZEN THREAD AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START TRYING TO CATCH UP ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, DEREK SMART. I READ EVERY POST AND I READ EVERY POST HARD. MAKIN PAAAAAARPING SOUNDS WHEN I SEE CHRIS ROBERTS GET OWNED OR EVEN WHEN I SEE A WHALE CRY. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY POSTED IN GAMES BEST THREAD. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY OTHER THREADS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN OTHER THREADS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE STRETCH GOALS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

sorry

Do you even remotely understand shitposting development? It's 2 weeks, not hours. Maybe you've done some shitposting before but this is on an unprecedented level. It's harder than the moon landing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

EightAce posted:

This prick knows the square route of gently caress all. Like most of them that step in and talk oh so knowledgeably.
In 2017 people will get the first bit of SQ42 which will involve some very basic scripted missions and a poo poo load of eye wateringly bad custcene.
The console version will run parallel but come out much later. Pretty much everything that Chris has promised will never come out and now they are creating more and more online shows etc to drip feed this out.

This is a really important thing to emphasize, and frankly I have to commend Sandi (after all she's the marketing genius behind everything) for finding a way to use CIG's definition of "open development" to actually obfuscate information. Right now we've had CIG either confirm or imply that three features from the Kickstarter will not be at release. All of them were released over different media, and it's only because this community is so obsessed that people can keep track of it all:

- The removal of drop-in drop-out co-op from Squadron 42 was revealed during Reverse the 'Verse, and even though the Twitch video has since been deleted we still have articles on it.
- Dropping private servers came from Jared in an interview with INN.
- The potential for VR support to be dropped from the release of Squadron 42 came from Sean Tracy in a "special" RTV with subscriber questions.

The downside to this is that people will be surprised, and very angry, when the feature they were looked for isn't available and CIG tries to backpedal and say "well we told you what to expect". I suspect we'll see even more chargebacks then. And CIG won't be able to do poo poo about it because they're already developing a reputation as a lovely company who is defrauding their customers.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Incombibulator posted:

You must do this.
Be a frog.

Time to start shooting.

ED on sale -50%
doeeet.
20% off the Horizons season pass too so $45 for an existent spaceship game and its expansion that adds planetary exploration and the promise of multicrew from a team that has proven they actually release things. :lol:

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Incombibulator posted:

You must do this.
Be a frog.

Time to start shooting.

ED on sale -50%
doeeet.

You made me click the link. Horizions season pass is on sale too. Picked that up because why not. Moon Buggies sound fun.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tippis posted:

If I've learned anything from CIG (I haven't), it will be a RealVideo stream in a Matroska container

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I've been busy for a few days, but the wonders of the "accidentally added to the client files" song FUUUUULLLL BUUUURRRNNNN have been brought up again a few pages back, and I need to put this forward.

If it is/was meant to be an official song for the game, LOL.

If it was a fun project by the staff, then bad news guys and Crobbersco, CCP is still beating the poo poo out of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSxNW5dDYEY

Maybe you just need to get good and take advice from this other CCP song. Especially you Sandi. We know you read this daily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgvM7av1o1Q

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Spamtastic.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Chin posted:

20% off the Horizons season pass too so $45 for an existent spaceship game and its expansion that adds planetary exploration and the promise of multicrew from a team that has proven they actually release things. :lol:

I love the nerd rage in the Steam reviews for the season pass. How dare Frontier put Horizons on sale!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

> pick up blaster
ERROR 49 COLLISION DETECTION
BLASTER-HAND INSTANCE INITIATED
HAND ACQUIRED
You pick up the blaster
> point blaster at goon
ERROR 42 TARGET ACQUISITION
I don't know what "goon" is
ERROR 9 INSTANCE ENCLOSURE
INSTANCE ENCLOSED
TARGET ACQUISITION 5
Is "goon" a target (Y/N)?
> Y
You point the blaster at "goon"
> fire blaster
FEATURE UNIMPLEMENTED
I don't know what "fire" means
> shoot blaster
FEATURE UNIMPLEMENTED
I don't know what "shoot means"
> kill goon
FEATURE UNIMPLEMENTED
ERROR 50 PVP DENIED
You are not allowed to kill other players on this server
> gently caress YOU DUMB GAME
ERROR 90 AGGRESSION
INSTANCE REMOVED
YOU HAVE BEEN BANNED FOR AGGRESSION FOR 30 MINUTES, YOU WILL NOW BE LOGGED OFF AND RETURNED TO THE QUEUE

EXIT GAME (Y/n)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I did it.

I've been behind since page 300 and reading almost every day but I finally caught up with the thread without skipping.

What a rollercoaster ride.

• Locked thread