Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Here's a snail mixed with a dragon (a "snailgon") to represent the snail's pace of this thread

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Did you put pen over pencil in that snailgon piece? Hard to see any pencil marks.

Here is a WIP for a tattoo design.

Super quick bar sketch

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jan 20, 2016

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Playing around with some watercolors after a year of them collecting dust on my shelf.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Those are delightful!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

sigma 6 posted:

Did you put pen over pencil in that snailgon piece? Hard to see any pencil marks.

Here is a WIP for a tattoo design.

Super quick bar sketch

I sketched it very loosely in pencil and drew over it with the pen, I don't do tight pencils like a comic book artist might. I just put the utensils in there because it's like an Instagram thing apparently to show your tools in the pic. Personally I like to scan and crop my art so it looks like a finished piece proper for printing, but IG is the best place I've seen so far to get people to see your art so I'm doing as the Romans do. Just gotta hashtag the gently caress outta the posts.

I dig the smoke swirls on that blacksmith design, at first I thought it was Thor and his hair was all flyin' around and poo poo.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

This is watercolor and brush pen, I used a warm red, cool yellow, and cool blue primary color palette. Pretty happy with the transparency of the color, I've been having trouble laying down layers that were too thick.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's been a crazy year or so, after moving from Alaska to Florida to where I'm at in Buffalo NY. I finally got some time to work on art, even though my supplies are scattered between two different states and getting all my crap here is going to be a pretty huge undertaking.
I have rediscovered how awesome pastels are to work with, and a bonus is you look really crazy while using em if you get into it like I do.

I think there might be some kind of theme here.

PS: Butt hehe.

Dreadwroth fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 24, 2016

Tsunemori
Nov 20, 2006

HEEEYYYWHOOOHHH
Hello goons! I used to do oil painting when I was young. Then I moved country, and while I did transfer to digital painting for a bit, I've always missed traditional media. So after years of "I should get back to drawing/painting", I finally went and bought a set - and after weeks of wondering what to draw and not wanting to do something lovely, I realised that I'd never end up painting with that mindset, and decided to just sit down and do it. So here's my first time with acrylic paint, and first time painting with traditional media in 17 years!

Acrylic on canvas paper, A3 - 24 Jan 2016
Reference: "Essai de figure en plein air (vers la droite)" aka "Woman with a Parasol, Facing Right" by Claude Monet.

Very unhappy with the "my first painting set" budget student quality junk. Paint was runny and had low pigmentation, brushes were hard to manage, and the range of colours was minimal and they were a nuisance to mix. Due to the frustration of fighting the tools, I decided to take some artistic freedom and improvised in several areas. Resulted in rather messy and uneven coating overall, but probably a better result than if I had tried to stick to the original plan.

All I could think about was how much easier this would have been if I were painting digitally. Have completely forgotten that mastery of the medium is a skill in itself, which I clearly don't have - let alone knowing anything about impressionism nor any art history/theory.

My question is, am I right to partly blame the tool? I mean the lovely set only came with like one blue (Ultramarine), so it was really frustrating trying to get what I want. I'm guessing better/more expensive paint will make it easier? Seems like it'd be worth the investment.

I have 11 canvas pages to go - so tempted to just move back to digital but I know I really should try again and give it a fair go.

P.S. Any tips on taking a photo of traditional media? I just propped it up, took a photo, then warped + cropped it on Photoshop, and very lightly touched the contrast/saturation etc.

Tsunemori fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 25, 2016

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Carotid posted:

This is watercolor and brush pen, I used a warm red, cool yellow, and cool blue primary color palette. Pretty happy with the transparency of the color, I've been having trouble laying down layers that were too thick.

Cool. I like that it's designy and iconic with the shapes and colors.

Timelapses are all the rage these days so I thought I'd do one. Maybe you like Bernie, maybe you don't (I do, I'm a big commie hippie liberal), but here's a pen and ink drawing vid I did of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPF2ZLRbzfw

Finished pic:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

Cool. I like that it's designy and iconic with the shapes and colors.

Timelapses are all the rage these days so I thought I'd do one. Maybe you like Bernie, maybe you don't (I do, I'm a big commie hippie liberal), but here's a pen and ink drawing vid I did of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPF2ZLRbzfw

Finished pic:

Looks great!

Tsunemori
Nov 20, 2006

HEEEYYYWHOOOHHH

Acrylic on canvas paper, A3 - 25 Jan 2016
Reference: Thank you Google Image

I used too much white paint yesterday... so decided to go bonkers with substituting values with colours. I went with the mindset of blue = dark, red = mid, yellow = light. Then I went quite abstract with the background (i.e. lazy), then I guess a bit of damage control by spraying too much water. Whoops. Paint felt a bit better today at least.

Tsunemori fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 25, 2016

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Here's some recent works. My tools consist of:

• Notebook Paper (it's cheap and it's paper)
  • Steadtler Lead Holder (the last pencil I'd ever need, these things are awesome!)
  • Eraser Pen (precise; hold it the same way I do the pencil)
  • Stapler (great for holding relevant pages together)
  • And a Metal Clipboard to hold it all in. (this stuff lives among my programming notes)

The only digital stuff I used is adjusting the brightness and contrast to make it looked like I inked it; it's my way of cheating out of buying all those leaky pens. Don't know if that breaks the rules, but at least 99% of this presentation is pure traditional. I see some pictures up here that are way larger than SA Forum's rules allow for most threads so I take it this thread is an exception to that rule, right?

I always liked the artstyle of older serial manga from the likes of Akira Toriyama, Fujiko Fujio, and Osamu Tezuka; my drawing is sort of my means of keeping it going in my life since I know their stuff won't be around forever.

I can do color, but decide against it (digital coloring anyway). I have a tight schedule as a contracted web developer and my art has been compromised just enough for this to be a sensible hobby. I've got my style written in stone, but I do like to experiment; If you got some tips for purely rendering with linework I can take those, but I wouldn't mind treating this place as a simple jam session thread (or other threads since I heard of "Daily Drawing" threads); a place where they got themes'ed be cool). Looking for more places to hang out with artists through art.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 25, 2016

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Tsunemori posted:

Acrylic on canvas paper, A2 - 25 Jan 2016

I used too much white paint yesterday... so decided to go bonkers with substituting values with colours. I went with the mindset of blue = dark, red = mid, yellow = light. Then I went quite abstract with the background (i.e. lazy), then I guess a bit of damage control by spraying too much water. Whoops. Paint felt a bit better today at least.

Its crudeness gives it a good pirate vibe at least. Sometimes accidents add to things.

Especially when you don't point them out! :D

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Tsunemori posted:

Acrylic on canvas paper, A3 - 25 Jan 2016

I dig it. I love paintings where color substitutes value, especially in the tasteful way you used it. The only time it goes bonkers is when you see the Alex Grey wannabes whose DMT-trip paintings are a technicolor mess.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

RasterPunk posted:

Here's some recent works. My tools consist of:

• Notebook Paper (it's cheap and it's paper)
  • Steadtler Lead Holder (the last pencil I'd ever need, these things are awesome!)
  • Eraser Pen (precise; hold it the same way I do the pencil)
  • Stapler (great for holding relevant pages together)
  • And a Metal Clipboard to hold it all in. (this stuff lives among my programming notes)

The only digital stuff I used is adjusting the brightness and contrast to make it looked like I inked it; it's my way of cheating out of buying all those leaky pens. Don't know if that breaks the rules, but at least 99% of this presentation is pure traditional. I see some pictures up here that are way larger than SA Forum's rules allow for most threads so I take it this thread is an exception to that rule, right?

I always liked the artstyle of older serial manga from the likes of Akira Toriyama, Fujiko Fujio, and Osamu Tezuka; my drawing is sort of my means of keeping it going in my life since I know their stuff won't be around forever.

I can do color, but decide against it (digital coloring anyway). I have a tight schedule as a contracted web developer and my art has been compromised just enough for this to be a sensible hobby. I've got my style written in stone, but I do like to experiment; If you got some tips for purely rendering with linework I can take those, but I wouldn't mind treating this place as a simple jam session thread (or other threads since I heard of "Daily Drawing" threads); a place where they got themes'ed be cool). Looking for more places to hang out with artists through art.

saying you don't want to ink because pens are leaky and that your style is "set in stone" is kind of lame, tbh

I'm a big pen and ink purist and your stuff doesn't really look like it's been inked, just graphite with the contrast pushed up. if you want it to look like ink, use ink. that is my advice.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
like my style isn't set in stone and I went to art school and have drawn my entire life. that's not really how art works.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Troposphere posted:

saying you don't want to ink because pens are leaky and that your style is "set in stone" is kind of lame, tbh

I'm a big pen and ink purist and your stuff doesn't really look like it's been inked, just graphite with the contrast pushed up. if you want it to look like ink, use ink. that is my advice.

Wasn't being serious about ink, just being cheeky; if it came off as insulting I apologies. I probably should have just let the art speak for itself.

Of course my style will evolve, but what I mean by "set in stone" is that I'm not exploring different "styles." I pull in new techniques for lines, discover new shapes, but overall the core remains the same; "set in stone" With my life schedule it was either compromise or quit with artwork, so I chose compromise; low scopes, fewer supplies, shorter work time.

I don't think that's lame, but for professionals it must be, which is probably why this thread isn't for me. Especially since I'm not %100 traditional.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jan 31, 2016

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm curious what you guys thought of the pastel pieces I posted earlier in the thread. They're going to eventually be bigger pieces on galvanized steel sheets done with acrylic or enamel paint and be around 3 by 4 foot panels.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Dreadwroth posted:

I'm curious what you guys thought of the pastel pieces I posted earlier in the thread. They're going to eventually be bigger pieces on galvanized steel sheets done with acrylic or enamel paint and be around 3 by 4 foot panels.

I like your designs and your color choices over all. I think the green one with the red background is the best of the lot in particular. The gradient you got going from green to blue is pretty cool. I see you tried to do something similiar in the red blue one, but its too subtle to really notice it as clearly as the other. Also for red/blue one the composition seems a bit cramped. If that's on purpose, then you should maybe think about having the tentacles overlap a lot more (use some foreshortening and make some of them recede or approach so its not mostly side to side, the bottom three on the right in particular need the most work) or just exaggerate how you have them bunch up in places like its confined in a box or a tight space. Really play that up. As it is, it looks like you just ran out of room. If you don't want it to look cramped, then consider something like just having the tentacles go off the page or something like that.

Another thing to think about is to to maybe work in some more variation in texture and push in your values more. Especially in the eyes, you need some more dark and some stronger lights than you use if you really want them to look wet and stand out from the rest. Your eye on the green one is a lot better than the two on the other. The tentacles could use a little more variation too, maybe put some more darks in where they turn away from the light or tuck under one another to add a bit more depth/interest. Again you did that in the green one in places and it works, but the other one could really use a bit more.

Overall they are neat, and you should definitely keep it up with the pastel work. It's a really fun medium.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Since I just wrapped up my college education I figure it's time to get around to posting some stuff I learned along the way. I snagged a BFA that primarily focused on ceramics. I tended to make a lot of more structural work and stuff inspired by ruins. The show I put together as a captstone ended up being largely about ruins. I made an absolute poo poo load of them and did the show based on what is really just one piece. Well sort of; all of the individual chunks were arranged in the final result. The hours were absurd but it was definitely cool to do. Some of the pieces already found homes. I had sold a half dozen of them before it was even over. Others became gifts.

This is actually pretty big. It's like 12'x17'x8' or so.

This looks like a kickass dungeon for a game of D&D. Did you set out with a particular vision in mind or was all that put together somewhat ad-hoc?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I made a thing.

It's a commission for a mixtape cover for a coworker, this stupid thing took way too drat long to finish, but I'm super pleased w/ how it turned out.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Glukeose posted:

This looks like a kickass dungeon for a game of D&D. Did you set out with a particular vision in mind or was all that put together somewhat ad-hoc?

I had a basic idea in mind but mostly it was just moving all the pieces into the gallery, setting the pedestals up, and then arranging stuff. Things got moved as ideas came and went or turned out to not be good. Since cities grow organically I didn't have one set, specific plan and didn't sketch anything before setting it up. A few of the pieces I decided early on to just put in that spot and leave it there; the big, brown obelisk is one of them. I figured it was important and one point but nobody cared much about it but didn't want to put forth the effort to move it.

The only "vision" I had in mind was thinking about how cities change over time and how people would respond to that sort of space. That and what would be left over when stuff started to crumble. You know, stuff like who would build what where and why, where a temple might go, what different people of different eras might consider the most important, that sort of thing.

Actually multiple people said it'd make good gaming terrain so I'm really tempted to make more of it and sell it as that. I got that or aquarium pieces. Now I have many boxes of it cluttering up my apartment as I figure out what to do with it. :v: If it was up for more than a week and I had time to author an adventure I'd probably have run a campaign in it. That wasn't an option, sadly. Now I miss playing D&D. I did like to DM.

Kind of the plan is to exhibit the stuff in other places as time goes by and set it up differently every time, sell some chunks of it, make more to replace them, and just, you know, have it evolve. Time is definitely a component of the idea as is change.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hey thanks for the useful critique, I don't know why but the green one turned out the best. I'm planning on using them as references for larger pieces.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
More fun with timelapse drawing. Did Stan Lee this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfGxlsCrtvQ

Crypticult
Jan 18, 2008

Zoben posted:

More fun with timelapse drawing. Did Stan Lee this time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfGxlsCrtvQ

Really like how you add depth just through using lines. This and the Bernie Sanders one are really cool. How long did those take to do?

SaavikSpocksDaddy
Dec 22, 2012
Hey Zoben, I really enjoyed your timelapse drawing.
The Stan Lee looks great and I like your use of lines, especially on the glassez.

Ive been starting to experiment with acrylics and made this Minotaur painting earlier this evening. I always liked Picasso's minotaurs and how their figures felt so heavy in some of the pieces.
Theres certain parts of my painting I like and certain things I don't.
I wish it didn't feel so claustrophobic.
This was my first time trying to paint with a gloss medium and I enjoy how it holds the paint.
I love the Comte a Paris Sanguine Medici pencils and have been using them for about a week now.
Ive been trying to grasp the anatomy & musculature of the skull to become a better portrait artist.
The Andrew Loomis books are very helpful. I bought a chamois for blending but I felt like it was a rip, ordinary tissues seem to work better but they can crumble off and onto the paper. Maybe Im not using the chamois right?
Here's a few examples of my skull/muscle studies

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

SaavikSpocksDaddy posted:

Ive been starting to experiment with acrylics and made this Minotaur painting earlier this evening. I always liked Picasso's minotaurs and how their figures felt so heavy in some of the pieces.
I wish it didn't feel so claustrophobic.

Ive been trying to grasp the anatomy & musculature of the skull to become a better portrait artist.
The Andrew Loomis books are very helpful. I bought a chamois for blending but I felt like it was a rip, ordinary tissues seem to work better but they can crumble off and onto the paper. Maybe Im not using the chamois right?

These are a good start. Just keep practicing the human body and it will come together!

Some color mixing to tone down the background would do your Minotaur good. You can still achieve bright colors, especially in the foreground, but adding some compliments (ie orange into the blue for the bg) will help give the painting a little depth and that might help with the claustrophobic feeling.

For blending I always just use old t-shirts cut up. They hold up longer than tissues and who doesn't have a crappy t shirt to re-purpose?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Do you guys ever have that one thing you keep drawing over the years?

For me - it is this guy.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
A recent large canvas of mine with inks and spray paints as well as emulsion:

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 5, 2016

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
And an old one, achieved with emulsion mixed in a garden sprayer.

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Crypticult posted:

Really like how you add depth just through using lines. This and the Bernie Sanders one are really cool. How long did those take to do?

Gracias. Stan took 5-6 hours and Bernie took 4-5 hours. I'm a hermit so I did those on a couple of Saturday nights instead of going out. "Being social," pssshhh

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012
Here is my latest dog portrait, this one is a commission for another goon.

And here are a few work in progress shots:

I am really happy with how this one turned out. I am starting to treat watercolors and gouache like how I would oils.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
That's really nice looking. I haven't painted in forever, so I kinda forget what the hell I'm doing. Gouache in particular is really frustrating me, but luckily it's super forgiving, plus my brushes might just be lovely :iiam: Any pointers?

My paint either seems too wet and is translucent or it's too dry and won't spread easily. It's super frustrating.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

dog nougat posted:

That's really nice looking. I haven't painted in forever, so I kinda forget what the hell I'm doing. Gouache in particular is really frustrating me, but luckily it's super forgiving, plus my brushes might just be lovely :iiam: Any pointers?

My paint either seems too wet and is translucent or it's too dry and won't spread easily. It's super frustrating.

what sort of gouache are you using, ie brand, and what sort of paper? I am using Fluid watercolor paper 140 cold press, and winsor newton gouache. A friend recommended the brand, as it's pretty well made and doesn't come out all watery. It's supposed to come out like a nice toothpaste.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'm using mostly Windsor & Newton with a bit of Holbein (non acrylic) and schmincke for my white. Paper is hot press, I forget brand..it was an old scrap. Seems like a creme strathmoore about 120lb. It's a solid paper, but I can't seem to use wet media very well with it.

My paint did sit around for a while, so some separation of the gum Arabic and fillers/pigments occurred, not really sure how to remix tubed paint. I have a vial of gum Arabic anyway if needed. I'm currently just using straight thinner and paint which is probably part of my problem. The other is that I painted relatively great when the paint was fresh on my pallet but it's since dried somewhat and reviving it is weird. I'm kinda treating it like block watercolors.

As for brushes, I have a solid amount of cheap sable brushes up to 6 round. Several larger wash and brights that I believe are synthetic. Then there's the liners. Zen brush acrylic bristles. They are actually OK bristle wise, but they seem to leak water in a weird way... They have hollow handles and drip water from the ferrule. I can't get the paint to flow well with them especially. They're super small though.

It's mostly working with gouache once it's dried on my pallet I guess that's giving me the problem. It's a transportable watercolor pallet FYI. Should I treat it like regular paint and only use fresh? Which would certainly waste a poo poo load of paint that way... Or I'm imagining the correct way is that I can totally rejuvenate semi dried water media. I'm just unsure how to do so.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

dog nougat posted:

I'm using mostly Windsor & Newton with a bit of Holbein (non acrylic) and schmincke for my white. Paper is hot press, I forget brand..it was an old scrap. Seems like a creme strathmoore about 120lb. It's a solid paper, but I can't seem to use wet media very well with it.

My paint did sit around for a while, so some separation of the gum Arabic and fillers/pigments occurred, not really sure how to remix tubed paint. I have a vial of gum Arabic anyway if needed. I'm currently just using straight thinner and paint which is probably part of my problem. The other is that I painted relatively great when the paint was fresh on my pallet but it's since dried somewhat and reviving it is weird. I'm kinda treating it like block watercolors.

As for brushes, I have a solid amount of cheap sable brushes up to 6 round. Several larger wash and brights that I believe are synthetic. Then there's the liners. Zen brush acrylic bristles. They are actually OK bristle wise, but they seem to leak water in a weird way... They have hollow handles and drip water from the ferrule. I can't get the paint to flow well with them especially. They're super small though.

It's mostly working with gouache once it's dried on my pallet I guess that's giving me the problem. It's a transportable watercolor pallet FYI. Should I treat it like regular paint and only use fresh? Which would certainly waste a poo poo load of paint that way... Or I'm imagining the correct way is that I can totally rejuvenate semi dried water media. I'm just unsure how to do so.

Uh, when you say thinner you mean water right? Cause Goauche (non acrylic) is essentially just watercolor mixed with an opacifier like opaque white. If you are using turpentine with watercolor that's probably why it wont work when you re-wet it. Your pallete is fine, you can use it as long as you want without cleaning it so long as the colors aren't all muddied together, water will bring the paint back even if it's been dry a long time. You can even rework like, 100 year old gouache paintings with just a wet brush. Gouache is always workable, that's one of the benefits of the medium. Provided you don't mix anything weird with it that is.

W&N and Holbein make decent gouache, just like with any paint make sure you use their artist line not the student, other than that it doesn't terrible matter much between the two.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 7, 2016

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah water. Getting the right consistency is elusive currently. I primarily have experience with oils so water media is a bit odd. With oils I'd mix liquin, an oil, and a splash of thinner to my paint before applying it. With water media I don't know an analog. I guess liquin would be redundant anyway since gouache dries really fast, but methodology eludes me.

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 7, 2016

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

dog nougat posted:

Try cold press paper next time, it makes a difference. hot press, if i am remembering right, is super smooth, so the water doesn't soak into the paper as much which could be why you are having difficulty.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
Sorry if I'm not one for words, but here's some stuff I've been doing in my free time.

Some monster peeps (unknown brand of Japanese bush pen with silver kuretaka brush pen and kuretaka glitter green brush pen)

Nautolan woman (Same brush pen for inks and colored with prismacolor markers)

Another monster peep (brush pen, kuretaka silver and glitter green brush pens)

So yeah just thought I'd share, I've really been drawing a lot of non-human things lately. :v: