Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Bombadilillo posted:

I've never done THAT. But on some intermittent electronics problems I have made it fail hard to actually find the problem.

For example, if a radio fails half the time you turn it on, then click click click click pop, woooo obvious problem.

Intermittent problems suck. Think along the lines of "car never makes the same sound when you take it to a mechanic"

I deal with this constantly at my job. One of our cranes for packing glass will randomly lose vacuum but anytime you call maintenance over it works fine. I told them they just need to set up shop next to it so I can get my job done.

Draven has a new favorite as of 03:58 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

This doesn't really work, does it? :ohdear:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Parrotine posted:

:thejoke:

Electrons are tiny, far smaller than any kink in a cable.

If you actually managed to cut off the flow all you've done is ruin a perfectly good cable by cutting through your conductor with your insulation.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Parrotine posted:

It does but only if the kink is a cut.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

monkeytennis posted:

I don't know what's more impressive, his MS Paint skills or the imagination of the people making the requests. Brilliant stuff.

I have a feeling that at least half the requests are someone's weird fetish.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

:thejoke:

Electrons are tiny, far smaller than any kink in a cable.

If you actually managed to cut off the flow all you've done is ruin a perfectly good cable by cutting through your conductor with your insulation.

Water molecules are way smaller than any kink in a hose. This works in the same way. A few electrons can leak through, but the kink stops the pressure (voltage) from coming through.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Parrotine posted:

If you do it to your network cable, cat5, or TV cable cable rg6, you can snap the wire and ruin it. You will break data cables not power cables as they are a lot more sensitive.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
The - charges will still get through but the + charges won't because they have those two little bars on the side and will get stuck.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

yook posted:

The - charges will still get through but the + charges won't because they have those two little bars on the side and will get stuck.

This is only on a polarized cable where the - charges have been aligned up. Monster sells these polarized cables at Best Buy and you're crazy if you don't have one in your home tv setup.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

trapped mouse posted:

:siren: APPLE CABINS FOOD SIGN :siren:

It's not too late in the year to get yours - mine's hanging on the wall in my cube at work!

http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/post/129294235455/announcing-the-2016-apple-cabin-calendar-in-1816

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

This is only on a polarized cable where the - charges have been aligned up. Monster sells these polarized cables at Best Buy and you're crazy if you don't have one in your home tv setup.

That doesn't hold true for a coaxial cable though. Because the electrons have separate paths, you can kink them way past 270 degrees and signal will still get through.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

That doesn't hold true for a coaxial cable though. Because the electrons have separate paths, you can kink them way past 270 degrees and signal will still get through.

It's coaxial. That means the electrons can travel in two directions and work around the kink.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Only for analog signals, though. If it's digital then all the 1s make a huge logjam and nothing can get through. I've been on the wrong side of a few situations like that, and trust me, it's no fun at all.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Look how pleased he looks.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I have a similar expression for similar reasons when I post.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

WarpedNaba posted:

I have a similar expression for similar reasons when I post.

:chanpop:

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Bart Fargo posted:

It's not too late in the year to get yours - mine's hanging on the wall in my cube at work!

http://liartownusa.tumblr.com/post/129294235455/announcing-the-2016-apple-cabin-calendar-in-1816

Yes, this is going to be quite the conversation starter in the office. And conversation ender. :stonklol:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Smelly posted:

I deal with this constantly at my job. One of our cranes for packing glass will randomly lose vacuum but anytime you call maintenance over it works fine. I told them they just need to set up shop next to it so I can get my job done.

I had a tech that had some weird Jedi bullshit with computers that way. I'd call him and explain the problem, he'd come down ask me to do what I did again in his German accent and the mother fucker stopped. Even if I was getting constant blue screens trying to do something or administrative errors, just him being in the same room as a computer made it bend to his will.

I fear skynet because they will hail him as their overlord.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Soulex posted:

I had a tech that had some weird Jedi bullshit with computers that way. I'd call him and explain the problem, he'd come down ask me to do what I did again in his German accent and the mother fucker stopped. Even if I was getting constant blue screens trying to do something or administrative errors, just him being in the same room as a computer made it bend to his will.

That is the secret power of all tech support people. Ask any of them. If you've having problems that are hard to describe and they come over to look it will stop right then and loving there.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Soulex posted:

It's actually easily explained. Some people emit bozons while others absorb it. Your support guy was obviously a solid bozon sink while you were emitting them in his presence he was able to keep the machine working by his presence. You'll find that these support people need to drink heavily to repair the hassle caused in their life by bozon emitters.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

I genuinely have this effect on computers since at least 15 years.

It even tends to make people somewhat angry when it's the 3rd time they call me and are like "I promise you this wasn't working 5 minutes ago" and I'm like "yeah I know, it's because you've been mean to your computer so he's loving with you. Hush now little computer, it's all fine. Daddy's here and he will protect you"

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Birb Katter posted:

You'll find that these support people need to drink heavily to repair the hassle caused in their life by bozon emitters.

This is also true

Jaktai
Apr 18, 2007

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Rolling in the faec'

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

ImpAtom posted:

That is the secret power of all tech support people. Ask any of them. If you've having problems that are hard to describe and they come over to look it will stop right then and loving there.

I feel duct taping an IT guy to my office wall will help quite a few problems. He can fix things just by being there.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

This poo poo right here is why I always ask the realtor if the neighborhood has ever shown any signs of a subterranean gnome-people infestation

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I genuinely have this effect on computers since at least 15 years.

It even tends to make people somewhat angry when it's the 3rd time they call me and are like "I promise you this wasn't working 5 minutes ago" and I'm like "yeah I know, it's because you've been mean to your computer so he's loving with you. Hush now little computer, it's all fine. Daddy's here and he will protect you"

I always explain that I gained the power the first time a computer pissed me off enough to throw it out a 3rd story window. Since then computers just know not to gently caress with me anymore, because there is no telling what I will do if I get angry enough.

It also seems to keep users pretty mellow with me once I tell the story, so win-win!

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Angela Christine posted:

I have the strongest feeling that the guy in blue and green is the rarely seen Manic Pixie Dream Bear.

Hirsute and coquettish is nigh on impossible to pull off, but he's doing it, drat

Sissy Jupe
Sep 9, 2009
I got bored at work today...

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

mr pooglyfoop posted:

You're doing gods work here, don't get caught and never stop

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Please say those actually went out into the refrigerator case.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
CHEESE MONKEYS
Like Grandma used to make
[img-mozzarella sticks]
$4 (pk)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I love Apple Cabin Foods, but every time I see them they make me think of this:

Or this one

But yeah, as a rule DIY Apple Cabins would be a dreadful way for a beloved meme to die

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Feb 8, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Birb Katter posted:

It's actually easily explained. Some people emit bozons while others absorb it. Your support guy was obviously a solid bozon sink while you were emitting them in his presence he was able to keep the machine working by his presence. You'll find that these support people need to drink heavily to repair the hassle caused in their life by bozon emitters.

As a support guy that fixes things just by showing up and asking them to reproduce the problem, I can confirm that alcohol is required to cleanse the system.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Data Graham posted:

Or this one

But yeah, as a rule DIY Apple Cabins would be a dreadful way for a beloved meme to die

This kills me everytime, I don't know why

mr pooglyfoop posted:

:buddy:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

PleasantDirge posted:

You're doing gods work here, don't get caught and never stop

Mmm, River Nub fried Party Beef is a southern district bloc tradition.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

mr pooglyfoop posted:

Holy poo poo :D

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...

Data Graham posted:

Or this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC9Js3RWrlk

• Locked thread