Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
hey toops if you need a camera man for your show or even a host let me know. can't have a game without 40 shows. i'll bring you on and ask you questions which will increase the scope tenfold regardless of your answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Jack the Lad posted:

I did it.

I've been behind since page 300 and reading almost every day but I finally caught up with the thread without skipping.

What a rollercoaster ride.

What were your favourite posts and cats

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

alphabettitouretti posted:

But they were always going to have a relatively small number of systems. 100 systems is nothing for a multiplayer game if players are expected to explore as a mechanic. It'd take days, max, for those to be mapped out. The only exploration thing they ever really spoke about was finding new wormholes and that just sounded loving tedious.
While I agree it is absurd to think that 100 systems each with "multiple landing zones" could ever result in meaningful exploration gameplay, on CIG's own website immediately following the paragraph promising 100 systems they say:

quote:

LEAVE YOUR MARK
You’ve charted a distant jump point, you’ve set foot on a strange new planet and now it’s yours to do with as you please! Report your finding back to the Empire and get your name in the history books… or keep it hidden, fight off claim jumpers and reap the new world’s rewards yourself.
Obviously bullshit they added after Chris saw some No Man's Sky footage, but that can't stop idiot cultists from taking it as gospel.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Daztek posted:

And how big is the recipe book now

Seriously someone should compile the recipes and make a literal book

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Daztek posted:

I think I prefer the flattened out Gary Oldman face to the parping one and I'm sad that it's fallen by the wayside.

Also the Beer emails were probably the most :psyduck: thing for me overall.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Chin posted:

20% off the Horizons season pass too so $45 for an existent spaceship game and its expansion that adds planetary exploration and the promise of multicrew from a team that has proven they actually release things. :lol:

Have Frontier said what their multcrew is actually going to involve?

I don't doubt they could make it work, my concern is that it's subject to the same problems as Star Citizen multicrew (assuming that was properly functional) - what is there to actually do as part of a crew, and why would you choose to do that instead of simply piloting your own ship? Parasite fighters are coming so maybe you'll be able to poop out crewmembers in fighters to form a wing, but that's still gonna involve sitting around as a passenger while the ship pootles around looking for a fight. And in Elite there's an awful lot of pootling.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

What gets me is that the second post by Reaver really hits why I was so involved to begin with. A lot of the developers went out of their way to say how much they appreciated the feedback from the fans, and it felt really good to see more than a few ideas I posted end up as part of the plan. The emphasis on modularity, for example, came about in part because of a huge push from backers in response to the Cutlass variants each being unique hulls that couldn't really be swapped or altered. That brought about a pretty large post that I made arguing about the philosophy of modularity in Star Citizen and why things need to be flexible, and I've heard more than a few people point to that thread as to the reason why CIG added a stretch goal reaffirming modularity. Of course CIG being CIG then shoved it all inside a Katamari and now I can't find the drat thing.

Of course all of that ended up being irrelevant when it became blatantly clear that the only person who's feedback matters is that of Chris Roberts.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.
You wake up in a cramped bunk. A door at the east end beckons, a green button flashing slowly beside it.

> OPEN DOOR
I do not understand that command.

> PRESS BUTTON

> PRESS DOOR BUTTON

> USE BUTTON
You cannot <<use>> that object.

> USE DOOR
You open the door.

> GO EAST
You are in a spaceship.

> LOOK
The lights are dim. A fuse box sparks and flashes behind its closed panel.

> INVENTORY
Fuse (1)

> PUT FUSE IN FUSE BOX

> OPEN FUSE BOX

> USE FUSE

> USE FUSE BOX
You open the fuse box. A fuse is missing. The subspace reverse verse polarising decoupler is disconnected. The primary power relay is disabled.

> USE FUSE BOX
You place the fuse in the fuse box.

> USE FUSE BOX
You reconnect the subspace reverse polarising decoupler.

> USE FUSE BOX
You reverse the polarity of the subspace reverse polarising decoupler.

> USE FUSE BOX
You enable the primary power relay.

> USE FUSE BOX
You close the fuse box panel.
The lights flicker on. The radio crackles. "Good work, commando! Your expert repairs have saved the entire squad."

> USE FUSE BOX
Error: Star Citizen has stopped working.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

alphabettitouretti posted:

Have Frontier said what their multicrew is actually going to involve?

When you warp, your friends won't be left behind in the middle of space

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

In other news you can now go to your own private channels to spacecyber.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

When you warp, your friends won't be left behind in the middle of space

"Friends" ruin immersion :colbert:

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mr Fronts posted:

You wake up in a cramped bunk. A door at the east end beckons, a green button flashing slowly beside it.

> OPEN DOOR

> PRESS BUTTON

> PRESS DOOR BUTTON

> USE BUTTON

> USE DOOR
You open the door.

> GO EAST
You are in a spaceship.

> LOOK

> INVENTORY
Fuse (1)

> PUT FUSE IN FUSE BOX

> OPEN FUSE BOX

> USE FUSE

> USE FUSE BOX
You open the fuse box. A fuse is missing. The subspace reverse verse polarising decoupler is disconnected. The primary power relay is disabled.

> USE FUSE BOX

> USE FUSE BOX

> USE FUSE BOX

> USE FUSE BOX

> USE FUSE BOX
The lights flicker on. The radio crackles. "Good work, commando! Your expert repairs have saved the entire squad."

> USE FUSE BOX

Ahh my playthrough must have debug enabled, yours has much fewer errors :pgabz:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is a really important thing to emphasize, and frankly I have to commend Sandi (after all she's the marketing genius behind everything) for finding a way to use CIG's definition of "open development" to actually obfuscate information. Right now we've had CIG either confirm or imply that three features from the Kickstarter will not be at release. All of them were released over different media, and it's only because this community is so obsessed that people can keep track of it all:

- The removal of drop-in drop-out co-op from Squadron 42 was revealed during Reverse the 'Verse, and even though the Twitch video has since been deleted we still have articles on it.
- Dropping private servers came from Jared in an interview with INN.
- The potential for VR support to be dropped from the release of Squadron 42 came from Sean Tracy in a "special" RTV with subscriber questions.

The downside to this is that people will be surprised, and very angry, when the feature they were looked for isn't available and CIG tries to backpedal and say "well we told you what to expect". I suspect we'll see even more chargebacks then. And CIG won't be able to do poo poo about it because they're already developing a reputation as a lovely company who is defrauding their customers.

Not a comparable "feature", but didn't they non-announce the cancellation of that commercial in the same way?

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Congratulations, they now achieved a basic chat system.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Elite: Dangerous is half the size of Star Citizen, maybe I should refund it seeing SC barely has any content for 30gb, what does that say about Elite?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

darkarchon posted:

Congratulations, they now achieved a basic chat system.

That's actually a pretty big achievement, considering BASIC dev tools

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

If I've learned anything from CIG (I haven't), it will be a RealVideo stream in a Matroska container

They couldn't.
No-one could ever be that pointlessly and deliberately cruel… c-could they? :ohdear:

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Mr Fronts posted:

> OPEN DOOR

> PRESS BUTTON

> PRESS DOOR BUTTON

> USE BUTTON

> USE DOOR
You open the door.

> GO EAST
You are in a spaceship.

> LOOK

> INVENTORY
Fuse (1)

> PUT FUSE IN FUSE BOX

> OPEN FUSE BOX

> USE FUSE

> USE FUSE BOX

> USE FUSE BOX

> USE FUSE BOX

> USE FUSE BOX

> USE FUSE BOX

> USE FUSE BOX

> USE FUSE BOX

For a second I was terrified this actually happened, but then I remembered that if it were real, you would have glitched through your bunk and out the bottom of the spaceship and promptly crashed to desktop before you ever even saw the drat fuse box.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

um didn't Crobbers publicly lambast this very chat system on his own show?

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

hey toops if you need a camera man for your show or even a host let me know. can't have a game without 40 shows. i'll bring you on and ask you questions which will increase the scope tenfold regardless of your answer

Can we make a show about the shows? Would help my immersion.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

um didn't Crobbers publicly lambast this very chat system on his own show?

Yeah I think he called it the worst chat system he'd ever seen.

Somebody cried themselves to sleep that night.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sorry I was gone all weekend, thread.

I'm re-lighting the shitposting engines though.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Soon they'll be at FULL BURN

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What gets me is that the second post by Reaver really hits why I was so involved to begin with. A lot of the developers went out of their way to say how much they appreciated the feedback from the fans, and it felt really good to see more than a few ideas I posted end up as part of the plan. The emphasis on modularity, for example, came about in part because of a huge push from backers in response to the Cutlass variants each being unique hulls that couldn't really be swapped or altered. That brought about a pretty large post that I made arguing about the philosophy of modularity in Star Citizen and why things need to be flexible, and I've heard more than a few people point to that thread as to the reason why CIG added a stretch goal reaffirming modularity. Of course CIG being CIG then shoved it all inside a Katamari and now I can't find the drat thing.

Of course all of that ended up being irrelevant when it became blatantly clear that the only person who's feedback matters is that of Chris Roberts.

There's the total opposite end of that spectrum too. I was in the Round Table for Albion Online back when that meant only 12 players from the community who had great feedback and actually helped development (I basically created their entire farming system for them including tweaking crop sizes + food requirements for buildings to make it balanced as well as tweaked timers for crop growth). It was great in the beginning but eventually more people started getting added, and more, and more. Until finally just everyones ideas were being considered. Long story short, AO basically morphed into a carebear zerg fest and I have no interest in playing it anymore. Lots of wasted hours. We had DEVs and even the CEO Bercilak in our TS a lot of the time as we had 2 round table members from our guild in this invite only group, was a pretty legit experience being asked for feedback on latest changes on certain things, etc.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

As Star Citizen begins to go Full Jonestown, it's important to remember that games are supposed to be fun.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Outstanding. I feel we have enough of a foundation at this point to start literally promising people whatever ludicrious poo poo their brains can scrounge up in exchange for their cash (or credit. doesn't really matter it's all just numbers in a computer somewhere hahaha am i right?).

I'd like to do it in at least 60FPS HD. I wave my hands like a motherfucker and I don't want any ghosting.

Once we get enough dough we can build a mocap studio and hire famous actors to act out my answers (and your questions, behind the camera be damned), in full glorious motion capture units, so that plebes can experience our immersive rich media open development content in-game.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

BeefThief posted:

As Star Citizen begins to go Full Jonestown, it's important to remember that games are supposed to be fun.

That's like trying to convince religious people that life is better than heaven

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Goobs posted:

This is that show.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
"No but you see, heaven lasts forever and will feature everything that I ever wanted and will never get in my lovely life. I don't care that you're having fun now, you'll see on the Day of Judgement just how much 'fun' you're having" :smug:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Samizdata posted:

You know, I have TWO kidneys. What kind of package can I get for one of them?

You could get a Goonrathi PaaaarpLancer Mk III, two Goonrathi RamPaaarp's with LTI, and an Ageist Potato.

With your package we'd also include one Kidney unmelt token.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Amazing :golfclap:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

You awake in terror, with imagery of constant perverse thoughts still haunting you.

After a moment, you look around to gauge your surroundings. You notice a giant machine of unknown origin humming, a slight glow of flickering light emanates from its twisted internals. You are under slight discomfort.

>look at machine

You notice to your horror that there are several wires attached to it, and they lead to your phallus and nipples. Your pain triples.

>inventory

Razor blades.

Your pain triples.

>Get up

As you try to move the pain triples yet again. Your head is spinning. You spot a monitor which shows a mosaic of mass simultaneous executions.

>help

Pain triples

>About

4th Simpire V1.02

Pain triples.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dapper Dan posted:

The PC Gaming Renaissance has already occurred. PC sales are slowing, yes. But this is because there are so many games you don't need a high end PC to play.

Just a minor point; sales of PCs are slowing, but not components. Everyone has ascended the curve of competence for plugging things together (mostly).

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah I think he called it the worst chat system he'd ever seen.

Somebody cried themselves to sleep that night.

Yes, I'm surprised it hasn't died a horrible death yet, since that was what Chris promised would happen to it

oh wait

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

AP posted:

Saw this today, some guy swearing because he got caught not paying his roadtax in the UK, probably around £100 for a year for that car, so the tax people, the DVLA clamped it. I'm imaging the whales acting like this with their spaceships in Star Citizen when the game continues to be a pile of buggy crap and they find out CIG expects more money from them.

He discovered the One Weird Trick to not paying tax. Guess the government will go welp never mind then

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Hav posted:

Just a minor point; sales of PCs are slowing, but not components. Everyone has ascended the curve of competence for plugging things together (mostly).

The GTX 970, a $300 video card, currently beating out onboard graphics for the #1 spot on the Steam hardware survey is pretty a pretty 'hot drat' sign for component sales.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Goobs posted:

Think bigger. Can we mo-cap the mo-cap crew?

We're gonna need a bigger mo-cap studio...

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

That SC sperg leaked me the JPEG that he was amazed by and claimed would get CIG a million new subscribers overnight. You won't believe your EYES.

goatse.jpeg

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Yes, I'm surprised it hasn't died a horrible death yet, since that was what Chris promised would happen to it

oh wait

"Damnit we just need more TIME!"

I am the future chat box you can believe in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I think gilbert gottfried would be a good sandi in a movie

• Locked thread