Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

soggybagel posted:

and it sounds like Cowherd might get a 2nd! show

Jeeeeeeeeeesus :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

davecrazy posted:

Jonah Keri went from Grantland to....Nerdist. Go figure.

http://nerdist.com/podcasts/jonah-keri-podcast/

This is interesting. Nerdist has been really branching to be the site for everything.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That's where his podcast went, he's writing for like 80 different places now

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

davecrazy posted:

Jonah Keri went from Grantland to....Nerdist. Go figure.

http://nerdist.com/podcasts/jonah-keri-podcast/

Assuming you can stand Keith Olbermann, the first part of Keri's two part interview with him is really good.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Robert Flores is leaving ESPN. His TV stuff is okay but he's come into his own as podcast host for Football Today. drat.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Spoeank posted:

Robert Flores is leaving ESPN. His TV stuff is okay but he's come into his own as podcast host for Football Today. drat.
Leaving or getting fired as part of "cost-cutting" and "restructuring"?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Wonder if WWE is looking at him for a job.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Josh Lyman posted:

Leaving or getting fired as part of "cost-cutting" and "restructuring"?

Per his official facebook announcement, he's already got a new gig but he can't announce with who and doing what. He also cited wanting more creativity. It may be RoFlo's idea but ESPN is probably doing this if it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVznerpOkTI

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Jalen Rose is utterly incapable of making a coherent point on the possible Hack-A rule change. Twice now he's talked about it on Jalen and Jacoby and I have no clue what he's trying to say.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Jalen Rose is awful. I don't understand why ESPN is giving him a superstar push.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Also are you aware that he runs a school? Has he ever mentioned that in a podcast?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Well, that's... something. Fox Sports sent freshly-hired sideline reporter Colleen Dominguez to Erin Andrews' hairdresser to get Erin Andrews hair extensions, tried to make her get a facelift, and wouldn't put her on TV because she's too old and ugly. She's suing them for age and gender discrimination. Now her producer, Jacqueline Bower, who knew about everything in the dispute, was fired after an HR interview because... they cancelled a show she didn't work on.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

Well, that's... something. Fox Sports sent freshly-hired sideline reporter Colleen Dominguez to Erin Andrews' hairdresser to get Erin Andrews hair extensions, tried to make her get a facelift, and wouldn't put her on TV because she's too old and ugly. She's suing them for age and gender discrimination. Now her producer, Jacqueline Bower, who knew about everything in the dispute, was fired after an HR interview because... they cancelled a show she didn't work on.

Fox Sports seems to be a mess lately. Dan O'Toole ripped them pretty hard for the layoffs

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Yeah it's really fun to be working there right now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

soggybagel posted:

Yeah it's really fun to be working there right now.

aw man, I can imagine :(

I had high hopes for Fox Sports when FS1 became a thing. Jay and Dan are awesome, the womens world cup coverage was phenomenal, there are some flashes of potential there.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

This surprises absolutely no one.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Honestly Jay and Dan aren't that awesome. They don't sell basketball at all and it's clear they don't care about it. Also, they were good on sportscentre because they were good at banter and joking between a serious show. You can't force the funny when it isn't there and FSLive tried too much.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Katie Nolan deserves a better network

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Simmons podcast with Al Michaels is phenomenal. He talks about OJ, Pete Rose and a bunch of other stuff regarding broadcasting.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Simmons podcast with Al Michaels is phenomenal. He talks about OJ, Pete Rose and a bunch of other stuff regarding broadcasting.

His reaction to having to travel the country with either Boomer Esiason or the corpse of Chick Hearn was amazing. This is probably one of my favorite Simmons podcast ever. Everyone needs to listen to this. I really want Al Michaels to have his own podcast after it.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Yeah, I had no idea how funny Al Michaels is, I liked his story about getting screwed on the Baseketball movie.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Akileese posted:

His reaction to having to travel the country with either Boomer Esiason or the corpse of Chick Hearn was amazing. This is probably one of my favorite Simmons podcast ever. Everyone needs to listen to this. I really want Al Michaels to have his own podcast after it.

I haven't heard it yet but if it's Simmons saying dumb poo poo about Chick Hearn, I won't, so thanks for the warning.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rick posted:

I haven't heard it yet but if it's Simmons saying dumb poo poo about Chick Hearn, I won't, so thanks for the warning.

He doesn't say anything bad about him. It's just a joke because Chick and Boomer didn't get along with Michaels.

I also didn't know Al Michaels was so close with OJ.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah, on one of Michaels' earlier appearances on the BS Report they spent a lot of time talking about OJ, and how Michaels got caught up in the whole story, including having to explain live on the air to some news person that they got trolled by a Howard Stern fan.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, on one of Michaels' earlier appearances on the BS Report they spent a lot of time talking about OJ, and how Michaels got caught up in the whole story, including having to explain live on the air to some news person that they got trolled by a Howard Stern fan.
That some news person was the late great Peter Jennings on ABC and the exchange was one of the most surreal and hilarious live trolls ever captured.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Robnoxious posted:

That some news person was the late great Peter Jennings on ABC and the exchange was one of the most surreal and hilarious live trolls ever captured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP8TwjRMdS0

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

A good follow up to this is when Al finally returned to the Howard Stern Show as a guest for the first time since the above moment occurred and they did a blow-by-blow account of what was happening behind the scenes. What made it even funnier was Billy West kept doing Al Michaels impressions and popping in "Evil" Al Michaels zingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKV1SHVZybw

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also liked the revelation that he has never eaten a vegetable in his life.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I'm not done listening yet but I thought the most interesting part was the NFL offered ABC/ESPN Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football for only 1.5 billion (only 400 million more than they paid for MNF) but ABC basically was like "nah, Desperate Housewives is a hit, we're cool." They must have had the moron patrol in full effect not to grab that deal instantly, put SNF on ESPN and MNF on ABC. SNF on ESPN would be perfect. They could start highlight shows and analysis right at 7 and roll straight into the game.

I'm glad it never happened though because Sunday Night Football is miles ahead of any other broadcast in quality.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Yeah, I remember that part in the James Miller book. I did find it telling how Al thought ABC treated Monday Nights as a loss leader to promote other shows while NBC puts more care into Sunday Nights.

I should also point out in 2004-2005 ABC was starting to get out of the basement, so I do understand a bit why they didn't want to mess with Sundays. But yeah, can you imagine NFL Primetime leading into a flex-scheduled Sunday night game.

That got me thinking, the worst thing about NBC is their contract put an end to NFL Primetime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXuXBLlfxRo

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

I'm not done listening yet but I thought the most interesting part was the NFL offered ABC/ESPN Sunday Night Football and Monday Night Football for only 1.5 billion (only 400 million more than they paid for MNF) but ABC basically was like "nah, Desperate Housewives is a hit, we're cool." They must have had the moron patrol in full effect not to grab that deal instantly, put SNF on ESPN and MNF on ABC. SNF on ESPN would be perfect. They could start highlight shows and analysis right at 7 and roll straight into the game.

I'm glad it never happened though because Sunday Night Football is miles ahead of any other broadcast in quality.

ESPN SNF and ABC MNF was how it ran for years. SNF had possibly the worst broadcast crew in history (Mike Patrick/Paul McGuire/Joe Theismann) and it was a blessing when their run ended.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ribsauce posted:

Where did you think SNF was on before it was on NBC

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

ayn rand hand job posted:

Where did you think SNF was on before it was on NBC

Seems like an eternity ago TNT split Sunday Night games with ESPN

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Vertical Lime posted:

Yeah, I remember that part in the James Miller book. I did find it telling how Al thought ABC treated Monday Nights as a loss leader to promote other shows while NBC puts more care into Sunday Nights.

I should also point out in 2004-2005 ABC was starting to get out of the basement, so I do understand a bit why they didn't want to mess with Sundays. But yeah, can you imagine NFL Primetime leading into a flex-scheduled Sunday night game.

That got me thinking, the worst thing about NBC is their contract put an end to NFL Primetime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXuXBLlfxRo
Let's break it all down now here before we take off our rose colored glasses.
NFL Primetime was the poo poo back in the day, way back back BACKBACK when Bermanisms were fresh.

All he does is catch touchdowns...
No one circles the wagons...
The Big Somberero...
From?!!??! (Louisville)...
He COULD GO... ALL... THE WAY!...

Those of us without cable had to wait until well after 11:30pm local time to get the highlights via the Sports Machine (RIP George Michael!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCC3RQsGitg

NFL Primetime was a nice bookmark for it's place in time. I remember when The Four Letter and TNT split the Sunday night package every season and Ernie Johnson Jr. hosted the Turner side of things.

But lets face it, the removal on NFL Primetime is hardly a bad thing. Football Night In America IS a poo poo show but Berman was already well past his born on date and becoming grating.

The NBC Sunday night crew is essentially the former MNF crew and it shows in every production sense. ESPN really needs to step the gently caress up.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vertical Lime posted:

Seems like an eternity ago TNT split Sunday Night games with ESPN

that was 20 years ago

espn was the sole broadcaster for the next 10

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

ayn rand hand job posted:

that was 20 years ago

espn was the sole broadcaster for the next 10
And proceeded to abandon Sunday night for Monday ultimately.
And here we are.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 13, 2016

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Niwrad posted:

It was a really spectacular podcast, and I know it's his thing that simmons does, but goddamn does simmons make anything related to boston the worst most petulant poo poo.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I'm such a moron. We didn't have cable in college (no one I knew did either) and I forgot there even was Sunday Night Football because we never watched it. Imagine a time before WatchESPN and firstrowsports....good lord what a dark age

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The dark times were the days of "how much time is left in the game" and you'd have to wait for them to put a little picture of the actual game clock from the stadium in the corner or "what down is it?" "I DON'T KNOW BUT I WOULD IF YOU drat KIDS WOULD SHUT UP FOR ONE MINUTE."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Kids these days knowing the down and distance, play clock, game clock and where on the field the first down is.

edit and don't forget "Where on the field they have to get to to kick the game winning FG"