Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Berious
Nov 13, 2005
It surprises me that some throw away maymay video is the thing that causes backers to riot. Obviously resentment has been building up and this was the dam breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Berious posted:

I think Toops needs to find some old broken game engine that no one uses anymore and spend all his time pissing about trying to force it to do something it was never designed for. Cocos3d is a good candidate.

http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d

http://www.crystalspace3d.org/main/Main_Page

:boom:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Berious posted:

It surprises me that some throw away maymay video is the thing that causes backers to riot. Obviously resentment has been building up and this was the dam breaking.

I'd say that's pretty accurate, it's almost a safe place for them to show their annoyance

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

"The Hug" is where Ben awkwardly hugged Chris after telling him how much he loved him.

It also spawned that picture of Ben photoshopped as an ice cream cone.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Darkpriest667 posted:

loving idiot has no concept of the monetary cost of their TIME as employees of the loving company.

If you take an hour of time and it takes 4 employees an hour then the amount of money wasted is each person's hourly wage PLUS the productivity lost. NOT the damned props. I do feel a little bad for Ben, he's too dumb to understand he's dumb.

What's the productivity of one programmer trying to code the impossible compared to one guy being paid like a programmer but featuring in a whale bait video to reel in whale money?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

fuctifino posted:

New 10 for the developers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvlnG45Kois

e: I think they are drunk

Oh my God this is the most amazing thing ever.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Einbauschrank posted:

What's the productivity of one programmer trying to code the impossible compared to one guy being paid like a programmer but featuring in a whale bait video to reel in whale money?

touche, in retrospect yeah they didn't waste anything they weren't already wasting.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I wonder how many manhours CIG spends trying to keep up with this thread

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Berious posted:

They cannot riot in a CR video, because the white knights would come en masse. Same with some of the other shows. The versebusters poo poo is ideal because they disabled comments on you tube and it is loving awful.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Daztek posted:

I wonder how many manhours CIG spends trying to keep up with this thread

More manhours than they spend developing :gary:

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Somewhere there is a mass grave of Torque engine games that never made it past pre-alpha stage.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh my God this is the most amazing thing ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvlnG45Kois&t=674s

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

Solar Plebeian needs concept artists for our upcoming interminable crowdfunding campaign. So just keep that on simmer.

You can have this one for free. It's an explorer ship that makes jump points safe by ironing out wrinkles in space time. plus it has no weapons whatsoever, so you can't ever get nonconsentual-PVP'd

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

You can have this one for free. It's an explorer ship that makes jump points safe by ironing out wrinkles in space time. plus it has no weapons whatsoever, so you can't ever get nonconsentual-PVP'd

That's going to be way OP for bumper cars arena. This is some P2W poo poo.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Justin Tyme posted:

Solar Plebeian should be moved to UE4 imo, it has much higher ~fidelity~ out of the box and is easily integrated into STEAM

BRB starting from scratch.

Can we crank out some puff-piece marketing videos to tide over the community while I literally rm -rf /solarplebeian and do this VVVV instead of writing code like a real boy?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

These developers are definitely drunk and they definitely know the game is a scam.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

Sunswipe posted:

That's even worse. Reminds me of being back at school when a couple of kids decided it was funny to call me Geoff. My name isn't Geoff or anything like it. Geoff isn't a clever acronym, the name of someone else they were comparing me to, it was just the wrong name. Always bugged me not because those kids were calling me names (hell, "Geoff" is better than most terms of abuse), but because they thought they were being so clever. Same thing here. This isn't just the sort of thing you'd get from children, it's the sort of thing you'd get from really stupid children.

God, that must have been a great conversation a few years later.

Former middle school idiot: "Yeah, we called this one kid Geoff."

Random person: "Why?"

Former middle school idiot: "Well, it was funny."

Random person: "Why? Did he really hate the name or something?"

Former middle school idiot: "No, it just wasn't his name."

Random person: "So?"

Former middle school idiot: "But . . . It wasn't his name! It was funny because we were calling him the wrong name!"

Random person: " . . . "

I'm sure that conversation happened because I've been the random person on the other end of that conversation wondering what the hell was supposed to be so funny while they looked at me like I had Nichtlachen-Keinwortz Syndrome.

Eventually, you figure out that you didn't miss the joke; it just wasn't there to begin with.

Sunswipe posted:

Goddamnit, next I'll be forgetting my PE kit and getting in trouble for not doing maths homework.

I'm not Lesnick-level fat, but if anyone wants to send me vast amounts of chocolate I'm willing to try if it'll help the project.

No no. We need you alive to complete it.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

:yarg:

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Daztek posted:

I am a jack of all trades, master of none :shobon:

Also, I am sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qF9elfrrF4M

MP3: http://we.tl/9xKTV0l5Ew

This really should be in the OP on autoplay.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

fuctifino posted:

That was actually fun to watch.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

The system works! Let's sell the engineering debt as an asset, and then sell images of the engineering debt, and sell those as assets! It's crowdfunding! We just have to communicate and disseminate the message that freedom is slavery, and jpegs are fidelity, and pain, pain triples every sale.'

:capitalism:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Gilganixon posted:

since no one's ever getting their dream job in the 'verse (unless that dream job is buying ships while standing in a t-pose and clipping through the floor of a beautifully rendered showroom) I should have plenty of time to draw concepts in your 'verse too commando o5

"Aah kay yeeah mate, rally noice job theah, it's just loike oi tahld ya ta do it. Neah, we gotta redo it awl, cuase oi changed me mind."
-Me, every time someone is "done" with a thing

poo poo, I could be a hundred millionaire.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Seriously. Sean Tracy is amazing. I genuinely want to take him out for a beer and just have him talk for hours. This is the first time I've ever watched Steve Bender, but he is equally awesome. I mean these guys are genuine, hilarious, brilliant, and if CIG spent ANY AMOUNT OF loving TIME showing this as the face of Star Citizen then it would be far more motivating. Clearly this means we'll never see them again.

Guys, if any of you are reading this (or any of the devs really), know that I consider your work and efforts to be exemplary. I really am happy that my money has gone to help feed your families. I do not blame you for the failures of Star Citizen, if anything I consider you victims of Chris Roberts and his immense ego and inability to manage a program. I know all of you want to design the game we all want to play, and if it were up to you I imagine we'd already have that game. So please accept my thanks for your efforts.

If you're seeing this, please blink S-O-S the next time you're on video.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

"The Hug" is where Ben awkwardly hugged Chris after telling him how much he loved him.

It also spawned that picture of Ben photoshopped as an ice cream cone.

need to see this pic. i bet croberts is super uncomfortable

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also drunk devs are the best devs.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

fuctifino posted:

That would explain so, so much.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Na guys, I'm forking Unity to build my own customized (not hacked, mind you), engine called "Solar Unit."

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

need to see this pic. i bet croberts is super uncomfortable

I found this

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Did anyone make a Star Citizen/Titanic joke yet

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

'Our philosophy was to always make them feel invested, respond to them, nurture them and tide them over as we all pad out resumes, profile pictures and calendars with events which while are not directly involved with the creation of dreams, we all know, deep down, that the backers knew that it was only an alpha in crowdfunding, and any gain we manage to scrape out of the development process is just a burdeon of working in such an exciting project. Oh, those desks, yeah, we sold them to pay for bail. Why do you ask?'

*stares intently at camera and blinks robotically*

Anyone got that .gif of Sandi climbing on the side of a rocky area with a backpack? She can't help but look right at the camera as she passes

If you're reading this Sandi, gently caress you, you're not an actress

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

is shitloaf the iceberg

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Daztek posted:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

1500 posted:

That was actually fun to watch.

yeah those guys have charisma, replace lich queen and the blob then cig's output may be watchable

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Toops posted:

Solar Plebeian needs concept artists for our upcoming interminable crowdfunding campaign. So just keep that on simmer.

i present you the parp systems A-3whatever "shortbus" for space parping

it comes with a viewport set at knee level for fidelity and immersion and a van door* you can paint with whatever jpeg you want as long as you buy that jpg from the Solar Plebeian show room from an authorized dealer

* we are aware of a bug with the van door, opening it will eject you into warp

it costs $250 and comes with LTI whatever that does

E: this one has a wizard painted on the side but the only limit to what can be there is dreams and also what we carry in the store

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Seriously. Sean Tracy is amazing. I genuinely want to take him out for a beer and just have him talk for hours. This is the first time I've ever watched Steve Bender, but he is equally awesome. I mean these guys are genuine, hilarious, brilliant, and if CIG spent ANY AMOUNT OF loving TIME showing this as the face of Star Citizen then it would be far more motivating. Clearly this means we'll never see them again.

Guys, if any of you are reading this (or any of the devs really), know that I consider your work and efforts to be exemplary. I really am happy that my money has gone to help feed your families. I do not blame you for the failures of Star Citizen, if anything I consider you victims of Chris Roberts and his immense ego and inability to manage a program. I know all of you want to design the game we all want to play, and if it were up to you I imagine we'd already have that game. So please accept my thanks for your efforts.

If you're seeing this, please blink S-O-S the next time you're on video.

Totally agree. Sean Tracy is super solid, there's no doubt. If CIG would stop condescending to backers and actually be up front and transparent about what's actually being created, instead of showing us border-line false-advertising "eye to galaxy" pieces that totally misrepresent reality, this would be a very different thread.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

In the vacuum of power, anarchy reigns

What was Sandi in charge of again? I forget. It's easier to work backwards with what she's hasn't had her hand involved in, who she wasn't married to, and what she hasn't appeared in.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

A real developer's tongue would be greenish-yellow due to horrid personal hygiene so yeah I'm gonna go ahead and call bullshit on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What dumb pie in the sky game do we follow next

• Locked thread