Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Dr Tran posted:

Watching Corden for the first time. This aint bad.
But this will ultimately be objectively better by default.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EUwQGepNu4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

hcreight posted:

Megyn Kelly becoming a sympathetic figure in the Dem base is one of the most amazing/baffling things to come out of this shitshow of a primary.
I still remember that Daily Show bit where they showed how she suddenly switched from MRA to feminist on the issue of maternity leave after getting becoming a mother herself.

If not for Trump's blatant misogyny, I would have taken more pleasure in Trump inflicting pain on Fox News the same way he inflicted pain on the GOP.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Guests this week on Colbert:

-Bill O'Reily
-Bernie Sanders
-Eddie George
-Macklemore and Ryan Lewis
-Olivia Wilde
-Christiane Amanpour
-Ben Stiller
-Tao: Seventeen Samurai (looks like a performance group)
-Katie Holmes
-Fred Armisen
-Ty Segall and the Muggers

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

This is the big push. If ratings don't improve I imagine there will be some retooling over the summer.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The Super Bowl special was great. Stephen should have had the Australian gal ask a sports question to that Denver player though :colbert:

I also found it interesting that Megyn Kelly didn't totally reject the label of "feminist".

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace
Why do they have to get rid of the other guests when they bring in a new one? I want to see Tina Fey, Margot Robbie, Will Ferrell and Colbert just riffing off each other over a loving duck.

SyRauk fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 9, 2016

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The Super Bowl special was great. Stephen should have had the Australian gal ask a sports question to that Denver player though :colbert:

I also found it interesting that Megyn Kelly didn't totally reject the label of "feminist".

I think Megyn Kelly could have a much greater career if she broke out of the Fox News box and the stigma that comes with it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

EngineerJoe posted:

I think Megyn Kelly could have a much greater career if she broke out of the Fox News box and the stigma that comes with it.

You say that as though Megyn Kelly has a sliver of integrity.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

What does that have to do with fame?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I enjoyed that repotose between Colbert and O'Rieley. I think they both stumbled over each other enough for it to be funny yet vital discussion.

E; Prerty sure I've seen the girl wearing the "reparations" shirt at a slam poetry night I used to go to.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 9, 2016

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
So there's no free way to watch last night's episode of Sam Bee?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Echo Chamber posted:

So there's no free way to watch last night's episode of Sam Bee?

The debut episode is on the TBS site behind the ironically named TV Everywhere wall. So that depends on how you define "free".

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I guess I mean the same way I could watch Noah, Wilmore, or Colbert free the next day.

I guess I'll settle for whatever clips they put out.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

EngineerJoe posted:

This is the big push. If ratings don't improve I imagine there will be some retooling over the summer.

There's already been quite a bit of retooling, I feel like. Giving Colbert the post-Super Bowl slot was the big push, and I feel like they dropped the ball -- Colbert was painfully awkward in the beginning, constantly asking about going to satellite, and I have no idea what the gently caress was going on with Will Ferrell's take on stupid pet tricks. I'm not saying they're going to pull an NBC and shank him like they did Conan, but if the ratings don't improve during the summer (I believe that was always the time period when Letterman would actually beat Leno) then I suspect they'd be considering their options.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

There's no way that they drop Colbert after less than a year especially considering the increasing irrelevance of late night shows in the first place

firing Conan was a loving disaster on literally every level (financial, ratings-wise, perception, scheduling-wise) for NBC, there's no loving way that CBS would see that and go "yeah we want some of that". they have nobody waiting in the wings to replace colbert anyways, he was and is the smartest possible pickup for CBS to fill the position

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Toxxupation posted:

There's no way that they drop Colbert after less than a year especially considering the increasing irrelevance of late night shows in the first place

They might just drop his Late Show.

... To turn it into The Colbert Report. :v: I'd watch it.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Timby posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress was going on with Will Ferrell's take on stupid pet tricks.

It wasn't stupid pet tricks, he was parodying the "animal experts" that these shows always have, like Jack Hannah.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Timby posted:

There's already been quite a bit of retooling, I feel like. Giving Colbert the post-Super Bowl slot was the big push, and I feel like they dropped the ball -- Colbert was painfully awkward in the beginning, constantly asking about going to satellite, and I have no idea what the gently caress was going on with Will Ferrell's take on stupid pet tricks. I'm not saying they're going to pull an NBC and shank him like they did Conan, but if the ratings don't improve during the summer (I believe that was always the time period when Letterman would actually beat Leno) then I suspect they'd be considering their options.

You realize that the satellite interview with Jim Nantz and Von Miller was scheduled in that beginning spot when he was asking about it, but instead they had to push it to during the Fey/Robbie interview?

And the Ferrell bit was amazing.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

... and I have no idea what the gently caress was going on with Will Ferrell's take on stupid pet tricks.

You're kidding, right? That Ferrell bit was goddamn hilarious.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

firing Conan was a loving disaster on literally every level (financial, ratings-wise, perception, scheduling-wise) for NBC

I'm curious about this in the context of now. Isn't Fallon #1 and killing it in the younger demographic?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Dave posted:

I'm curious about this in the context of now. Isn't Fallon #1 and killing it in the younger demographic?

He is (he's doubling up Colbert on most nights), and when Leno returned after Conan got sacked he went right back to beating Letterman's numbers, too.

DaveWoo posted:

You're kidding, right? That Ferrell bit was goddamn hilarious.

It was the wrong kind of bit to run when you're desperately trying to boost your late-night show's ratings and you've got the biggest lead-in audience of the year to do it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Ferrell segment was somewhat less humorous because most of the animals were scared shitless.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Timby posted:

He is (he's doubling up Colbert on most nights), and when Leno returned after Conan got sacked he went right back to beating Letterman's numbers, too.

You can't compare the ratings of a 6-month run of a first time Tonight Show host to the ratings of the dude who hosted the Tonight Show for the second-longest length of time, especially when the former's numbers were deflated due to literally having the lead-in of a talk show of the latter. it's a dumb comparison on every level

retrospectively speaking it was a massive mistake on NBC's part. the fallon success is surprisingly good, and he wildly overperformed in ratings (he actually increased off the back of leno) but there's so many different exceptions to conan's run of tonight show that a straight-up comparison is impossible, and NBC lost a ton of ratings, audience respect, and most importantly money off of the fiasco

the way NBC handled leno/conan was a huge object lesson in how not to treat your late night hosts

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Leno's 10p show did so badly, the local networks were complaining that their 11pm news was suffering.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Leno absolutely sunk Conan without giving him a chance. But let's be real, Conan never would have hit Leno's numbers much less the numbers that Fallon is hitting. Conan just doesn't connect with as many people and to his credit wasn't willing to change his style enough to connect. Eventually the network would have forced him to change and then he'd just alienate his fans and still wouldn't connect with a larger audience. As big as a clusterfuck as it was at the time and lovely as the situation was I have to imagine everyone is right now at a better place than would have been if Conan had been kept. I think he's perfectly happy with the freedom he gets at TBS now and he never would have gotten a fraction of that in the 11:30 spot on NBC.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Conan was at his best during the last bit of the Tonight Show. I stuck with him for awhile after he moved to TBS but I just found it boring and formulaic.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a new Triumph The Insult Comic Dog election special on Hulu. It's amazing:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/902637

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Other camera Bernie! Other Camera!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Those are a lot of Bernie Sandwiches.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Awkward Pause was Craig's thing, you're not allowed to steal it! :mad:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

The sandwich bit was great. I love Colbert's pun-offs and having all the props for it made it even better!

Also, Conan got a box of snacks from a fan in South Korea so he's going there next week to tape a travel episode :woop:

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm
Mar 22, 2004

M-E-M-P-H-I-S
Conan on location is always a guaranteed win. Loving the increased frequency of the remotes here lately. Keep them coming, I say.

Also...Anytime Corden brings his parent's on the show, I soon after feel like an rear end for smack talking him so much. They are such lovely people and I can't help but smile everytime they're on. I just wish Corden would play to his strengths more and stop trying to be the British alternative to Fallon's "hip" millennial pandering.

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 11, 2016

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar
Oh, Colbert's sandwich puns. Almost as good as his middle eastern food puns. Guy loves his food.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

EugeneJ posted:

There's a new Triumph The Insult Comic Dog election special on Hulu. It's amazing:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/902637
I'm watching this now and I think this is the hardest I've laughed at a Triumph bit in years. It's amazing.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DJ Pauls Gimp Arm posted:

Also...Anytime Corden brings his parent's on the show, I soon after feel like an rear end for smack talking him so much.

He was also well spoken and easy to like when he was on Marc Maron's podcast.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Loved Bernie's extremely obvious cue card reading in the intro hahaha

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Intro of what?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Bernie was on Colbert last night. And somehow was the second guest behind Ben Stiller. But he popped in for intro jokes. And then later Colbert made a lot of sandwich puns because someone on MSNBC called him Bernie Sandwiches by accident.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Hells yeah, awesome :crossarms: :hf: :bernget:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Is Craig's new History Channel show going to be available on Hulu?