Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Is...is that actually a thing? I assumed the writers made it up....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Astrofig posted:

Indeed it is! Add a fourth and go for the Eiffel 69!

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Gonz posted:

I think that's the first time an Eiffel Tower has been referenced and/or described on network TV.

Nope, it was mentioned on Scream Queens, as well as spit roasting.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gonz posted:

I think that's the first time an Eiffel Tower has been referenced and/or described on network TV.

I believe it was referred to as the Golden Gate Bridge in The League, but I think the Golden Gate should have 4 people, not 3.

Although I guess FX isn't really network TV.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
I like this show so far, but I've never read the comic so I don't have any "they're doing it wrong" complaints to influence my opinion.

The guy playing Lucifer is pretty damned charismatic - he's actually likeable - though I do hope that they show him trying to do more hosed up things like setting up the duel at the end of the last episode, because he is the Devil after all.

On the other hand, I'm guessing he's not so much Always Evil Douchebag Devil and more of the Do What You Want, Consequences be Damned Devil.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

imperialparadox posted:

I like this show so far, but I've never read the comic so I don't have any "they're doing it wrong" complaints to influence my opinion.

The guy playing Lucifer is pretty damned charismatic - he's actually likeable - though I do hope that they show him trying to do more hosed up things like setting up the duel at the end of the last episode, because he is the Devil after all.

On the other hand, I'm guessing he's not so much Always Evil Douchebag Devil and more of the Do What You Want, Consequences be Damned Devil.
Chaotic Neutral, as it were?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Astrofig posted:

Are you 16 and/or Mormon? It's as notable as donkey punch and Cleveland Steamer, IMO.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I felt this episode dragged a little in setting up the partnership. I expect it'll be much better once the two of them working together is just the established thing that happens.

evilmiera posted:

Liked the second episode less than the first, if only because it started straining a bit under the pressure of having a character breaking so many laws and not being properly arrested. I mean, Lucifer just set up a duel to the death on an open street and took an arrested man out of custody , I am pretty sure that lands you some time in jail. I mean, not that they could hold him, he broke out of hell and all, but still, I don't think "helped us solve another murder, sort of, even though there's no real evidence to back up his claim" is enough for anyone not to press charges.
What do you charge him with? He just asks people to do stuff and they do it. That's not a crime.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Tiggum posted:

I felt this episode dragged a little in setting up the partnership. I expect it'll be much better once the two of them working together is just the established thing that happens.

What do you charge him with? He just asks people to do stuff and they do it. That's not a crime.

Depends on if the guns were licensed, but there's probably something. It's the Devil though, he'll lawyer up and be out of it shortly.

I'm liking this Devil, but I keep thinking back to John Glover and Ray Wise. I kind of prefer the smirking, can be really petty but would be decent to you if you were decent to him kind of Devil.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

seaborgium posted:

Depends on if the guns were licensed, but there's probably something. It's the Devil though, he'll lawyer up and be out of it shortly.

I'm liking this Devil, but I keep thinking back to John Glover and Ray Wise. I kind of prefer the smirking, can be really petty but would be decent to you if you were decent to him kind of Devil.

Mark Pellegrino has pretty much ruined anyone else playing Lucifer. His performance in season 5 of Supernatural was pretty much perfect.

I'm giving this show a chance ignoring the fact that I'm a huge fan of the comic, and so far it just seems like Constantine 2, with a smarmier lead.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I liked him playing the vocal melody from King of Pain by The Police while Decker was tailing him. Cute touch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So despite all the other things they're doing differently I did notice one small comics touch. When Lucifer was putting his shirt on you could briefly see his back scars from when he cut his wings off after he left Hell.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Medullah posted:

Mark Pellegrino has pretty much ruined anyone else playing Lucifer. His performance in season 5 of Supernatural was pretty much perfect.

Nah, I'm with seaborgium. Ray Wise was the best.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

imperialparadox posted:

Yeah I actually really liked the second episode, because it shows that the Devil can be a pretty scary cat! I hope they continue with him doing some morally hosed up things, because it makes it interesting if Satan is, y'know, still Satan and accordingly evil. Because that would make for an interesting show.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
It would be nice if, "I am the devil -- for reals!!" was something other than the vision of a bloody face. Why does the devil need to be ugly? I'm guessing that later maybe they show him to be less ugly. But a glimpse of punishment to come (or implied, but this show has no subtlety) would be better. My teen daughter likes it, my wife thinks it's poo poo, I'm still on the fence.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

wormil posted:

It would be nice if, "I am the devil -- for reals!!" was something other than the vision of a bloody face. Why does the devil need to be ugly? I'm guessing that later maybe they show him to be less ugly. But a glimpse of punishment to come (or implied, but this show has no subtlety) would be better. My teen daughter likes it, my wife thinks it's poo poo, I'm still on the fence.

It's a cheap SFX that's not too expensive to do and conveys the point of hell-terror (like Hellraiser). That's all.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

pentyne posted:

It's a cheap SFX that's not too expensive to do and conveys the point of hell-terror (like Hellraiser). That's all.

Implication is cheaper than visual effects.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wormil posted:

Who says that's his real face? It's just a scary face.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Maybe the fun will wear off quickly but Lucifer being smug and just playing with people is enough to keep me interested. Seeing Lesley-Ann Brandt, the good Naevia from Spartacus, is a plus too.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like that Lucifer keeps pulling the "I'm the devil" stuff every other line, like "You humans do like..." or "You're the devil... yes I am." but it just keeps working for me. It's seriously happening more often than villain foreshadowing, puns, or weird comic references happened in season one of Gotham, only coming across so much better. I dunno, just something I noticed.

I want this show to last 5+ seasons and have them still coming up with wacky "I'm the devil" dialogue.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

CeeJee posted:

Maybe the fun will wear off quickly but Lucifer being smug and just playing with people is enough to keep me interested. Seeing Lesley-Ann Brandt, the good Naevia from Spartacus, is a plus too.

That's why I recognize her!

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I like that Lucifer keeps pulling the "I'm the devil" stuff every other line, like "You humans do like..." or "You're the devil... yes I am." but it just keeps working for me. It's seriously happening more often than villain foreshadowing, puns, or weird comic references happened in season one of Gotham, only coming across so much better. I dunno, just something I noticed.

I want this show to last 5+ seasons and have them still coming up with wacky "I'm the devil" dialogue.

Yeah I really like this aspect, it's hilarious when the delivery is perfect

This show is pretty funny actually, hope it gets a sturdy run on Fox

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

NowonSA posted:

I think it's because most urban fantasy does the whole "I must keep the secret to protect people" and Lucifer is just like "yes I'm the literal Devil, how can I help?"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

computer parts posted:

I think it's because most urban fantasy does the whole "I must keep the secret to protect people" and Lucifer is just like "yes I'm the literal Devil, how can I help?"

Yeah, a really annoying part of Heroes was how every Evo throughout history decided to hide their powers from everyone. Even though it really didn't make any sense.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think part of what sells it is the fact that everyone is so incredulous. Yeah, sure buddy, you're the Devil.

Wait, why aren't you dead and why am I now insane?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Echophonic posted:

I think part of what sells it is the fact that everyone is so incredulous. Yeah, sure buddy, you're the Devil.

Wait, why aren't you dead and why am I now insane?

It's pretty spot on for real life. Would you honestly believe someone if they said that to you? And even seeing them get shot up and be fine you would assume or check other stuff before ever believing he was the devil.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
"Lucifer, this is all your fault! I wish I'd never met you!" - everyone in this show

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Echophonic posted:

"Lucifer, this is all your fault! I wish I'd never met you!" - everyone in this show

Smarmy British reply "Really? Is that what you TRULY wish? Tell me..."

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I think the show would benefit greatly if it were only 30 minutes. Overall not too bad, but there seems to be a consistent lull between halfway through.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Lucifer being so offended because his imposter is a trashy piece of poo poo is hilarious.

Edit: poor Maz :smith:

Chasiubao fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 9, 2016

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
"Holy poo poo that man just shoved a massive ex-NFL star 40 feet with a single push! What is he?!"

"I'm Lucifer, the Devil"

"Nah, that's not it. Just probably on steroids or something."

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I keep coming up with these intricate plot ideas based on either how the show starts or the title, and then I get sad when the plot isn't as nifty as the one I have in my head.

Last week's I assumed that the black angel guy (spacing on the name) had started somehow making deals with people/taking confessions/something along those lines to start screwing with Lucifer's abilities and make him wanna go home. Turns out it was just him covering for a psycho.

This week I see the title and think "OH poo poo SOMEONE IS MOVING IN ON HELL" and get excited at the prospect of a weird vaguely political demon vs lucifer kinda setup where someone is trying to take over hell since Lucifer is on vacation... and it's some pasty white kid with a poo poo accent.

Still though, loving the show.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

pentyne posted:

"Holy poo poo that man just shoved a massive ex-NFL star 40 feet with a single push! What is he?!"

"I'm Lucifer, the Devil"

"Nah, that's not it. Just probably on steroids or something."

Yea gotta admit the whole shrugging off or trying to explain the crazy poo poo he does has to stop soon.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

Yea gotta admit the whole shrugging off or trying to explain the crazy poo poo he does has to stop soon.

It should've stopped at the second episode, but hopefully it stops now. That is really my main problem with the series so far, the pacing. The first episode was rapid (but most pilots have to be to convey a plot well) and that sort of hurts these episodes a lot because all we're really getting is a bunch of people saying Lucifer is changing and new villains of the week for the cops to catch. I honestly think the whole cop show thing needs to stay on the sidelines a bit (though not be removed) because it manages to completely derail a lot of the more fun stuff we want to see happening.

Also nice to see them blow half their budget on an explosion and the other half on a window getting smashed.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I keep coming up with these intricate plot ideas based on either how the show starts or the title, and then I get sad when the plot isn't as nifty as the one I have in my head.

Last week's I assumed that the black angel guy (spacing on the name) had started somehow making deals with people/taking confessions/something along those lines to start screwing with Lucifer's abilities and make him wanna go home. Turns out it was just him covering for a psycho.

This week I see the title and think "OH poo poo SOMEONE IS MOVING IN ON HELL" and get excited at the prospect of a weird vaguely political demon vs lucifer kinda setup where someone is trying to take over hell since Lucifer is on vacation... and it's some pasty white kid with a poo poo accent.

Still though, loving the show.

That's literally the kind of stuff that happened in the comic, so read that for your wish fulfillment, and watch the show for a somewhat witty at times procedural.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
There are a bunch of little nitpicky things which bug me, like why the detective would keep working with this guy who violates procedures in so many ways, like getting a suspect out of jail, kidnapping a second one and making them fight a mock duel, or here where he throws an arrested guy through a window. Oh Lucifer, you card you. Whatever will we do with your highly illegal actions?

It also bugs me that the original cop's plan was to hire the fixer to do something illegal and then arrest her for it. I guess entrapment doesn't exist in this universe.

And I agree that they can't keep both showing displays of supernatural power and having the cop deny that happening. Either would be fine, if she wasn't witnessing anything but an oddball, or realizing that he's serious and NOT an oddball, but that middle-of-the-road thing just doesn't work.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
So Lou's power is to make people tell him their darkest desire right? Does he also have the power to make people confess on the spot in his presence? Both the professional hitperson and the crooked agent immediately folded and started confessing things and talking with the cops.

The hitlady was supposed to be notorious for lawyering up and being cautious around the police, she even keeps her lawyer's card in her back pocket. And you'd think an agent would know his way around the law better than to start talking about murdering someone in front of a room full of potential sponsors.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

counterfeitsaint posted:

So Lou's power is to make people tell him their darkest desire right? Does he also have the power to make people confess on the spot in his presence? Both the professional hitperson and the crooked agent immediately folded and started confessing things and talking with the cops.

The hitlady was supposed to be notorious for lawyering up and being cautious around the police, she even keeps her lawyer's card in her back pocket. And you'd think an agent would know his way around the law better than to start talking about murdering someone in front of a room full of potential sponsors.

He has shown that ability in previous episodes, yeah.

I'm guessing with the hit lady it was a combination of not wanting to film a scene in the interrogation room and her trying to avoid the rap for something she didn't do.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I find it refreshing that the main character isn't trying to hide his big secret like in every other show out there. Cop lady has been questioning it from the very beginning, too, and it seems it will continue to go down that route as she notices more weird poo poo with him. Part of what's amusing in this show to me is how willing he is to tell everyone he's the devil lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
This is such a trashy show, but I'm still enjoying it. From the previews, it looks like serious poo poo regarding Decker and Lucifer's identity is going down next episode.

• Locked thread