Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Teeter posted:

I just want a map that has icons for where people are, with the option to toggle sharing on/off instead of a one-off thing like sending coordinates. Ideally built in to Google because it used to be a feature and wouldn't require that many extra resources. Facebook does this but only through the app and won't work if you're using the mobile site like I am. It's not a big deal because I'll hardly ever need the feature, I was just curious if there's a way to get Latitude functionality within Maps again.

The only practical reason I can think of for it would be to be able to find friends when we're all lost wandering around Vegas or go to other large spread out events like pub crawls together. Checking a map and heading that way is a lot easier than texting updates or getting drunken directions over the phone in a loud environment.

It's in Google Plus (Menu => Locations) these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

bull3964 posted:

I think the real question is, why are you NOT a Play Music subscriber? All you can eat music and zero YouTube ads? A bargain.

Ad blockers do that too

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

nexus6 posted:

Ad blockers do that too

You get all you can eat streaming music with ad blockers?

Ad blockers pay content creators?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rusty! posted:

It's in Google Plus (Menu => Locations) these days

Go back and read their original post.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

hooah posted:

So is the Android Pay Tap 10 promotion just some sort of weird beta thing? We heard about it at least a week ago, but I at least haven't seen anything in my app about it. They're running out of time to give me my free poo poo :argh:!
It's out there but I'm not sure what the requirements are for invitation. I was invited in a few weeks ago (and just ordered my free chromecast this morning) but I don't know anyone else that got in.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I don't use it, but I think some people here do. Remember the Milk gets an overhaul.
https://www.rememberthemilk.com/new/

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

nexus6 posted:

Ad blockers do that too

That sounds amazing, what is your preferred adblocker for installing on a Vizio TV?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

LastInLine posted:

Am I the only person on the planet who has never seen an ad on YouTube ever?

Not even on someone else's computer?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

Not even on someone else's computer?

Never anywhere. I'll admit I don't really around and watch YouTube but still.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

uPen posted:

That sounds amazing, what is your preferred adblocker for installing on a Vizio TV?

A Chromecast and YouTube Red subscription.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

butt dickus posted:

Ad blockers do that too.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Tots posted:

Ad blockers do that too.

Bunch of Gator Fans in this thread.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

butt dickus posted:

This is a higher level of living. I can't even fathom how people don't YouTube.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

porkface posted:

This is a higher level of living. I can't even fathom how people don't YouTube.

YouTube barely has anything I watch. The occasional music video or movie trailer, and that's it. No point for me to purchase a subscription. :shrug:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I probably wouldn't have bought a Youtube Red subscription on its own, but Google Music is the best $10 ($15 now because family plan) a month I've ever spent, and I'm certainly not complaining about ad-free Youtube videos on top of it.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

docbeard posted:

I probably wouldn't have bought a Youtube Red subscription on its own, but Google Music is the best $10 ($15 now because family plan) a month I've ever spent, and I'm certainly not complaining about ad-free Youtube videos on top of it.

I bought the family plan mostly so my fiancee could watch all her favorite YouTube videos on the Chromecast (or her phone) without the insane amount of ads that we were getting. I'm certainly enjoying that benefit as well, but I'm using the music subscription a heck of a lot more than I ever expected I would!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I'd been using Spotify for months when YouTube Red was announced. I subbed to it because I just watch too many youtube videos on mobile so it made it worthwhile. When I saw that I also got All Access, it was the only time I used the multiwindow feature on my Note 5. (to see what songs were in my playlists on spotify so I could port them over to google play.) I think I still like spotify slightly better but not nearly 10$ more a month better.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I am killing myself over this and I think I'm gonna have to root but I really don't want to if I don't have to.

How the gently caress can I dim the "soft keys" on my Nexus 6? I use a screen filter at night which is great except for the bright as gently caress soft keys.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I found a neat app.

It's called Kubity.

I'm always messing around with SketchUp. Like, right now we're thinking about completely reorganizing the furniture in our living room, so I've been moving furniture around in SketchUp.

With Kubity, you can upload your sketchup file to kubity.com, and then open it in the kubity app on your phone and then go through the model in Google Cardboard.

Cardboard has always been a pretty gimmicky thing to me, but this has actually been pretty useful!

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
I have an odd situation but thought someone here might have a suggestion. I started a new job and the building I am working in has poor reception. Mostly because its down in a gully and the room is sort of a basement room. The problem I ran into today was battery drain. I figure most of the problem is my phone trying to get reception and ping for various location services. Is there a way disable stuff like that short of putting my phone in airplane mode? I can still receive calls and text I just don't have data etc in that area of the buidling. Today I spent most of the day in that area and my phone was at like 35% by lunch which is unusual. This is a Samsung S6 for reference.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Stab in the dark:
-turn off cellular data?
-change your preferred data type to 2G

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction....

I'm looking for a messenger app like Facebook messenger accept, you know, not Facebook due to some people not having that. Just texting isn't an option
Odd I know

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...

Uthor posted:

Stab in the dark:
-turn off cellular data?
-change your preferred data type to 2G

That's what I was thinking. Turn off GPS and data. I just wasn't sure if it would help. I can give it a try tomorrow though.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I'm looking for a messenger app like Facebook messenger accept, you know, not Facebook due to some people not having that. Just texting isn't an option
Odd I know

theres like a billion messenger apps e.g. facebook, whatsapp, groupme, wechat, skype, aim, etc.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Odd I know

I'm using Telegram and it's great. Good media support (yay gifs) and seamless multi-device messaging.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

dongsbot 9000 posted:

theres like a billion messenger apps e.g. facebook, whatsapp, groupme, wechat, skype, aim, etc.
jesus for some reason I could not think of this sorta thing at all. I use to use Skype, aim and a few others but I was just at a lost. messenger just kept showing me facebook, thank you

Taffer posted:

I'm using Telegram and it's great. Good media support (yay gifs) and seamless multi-device messaging.

This looks like exactly what I am looking for, thank you

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Hangouts...

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Slack is good if you want multiplatform crap and more of an IRC channel feel to it

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Quick heads-up to say there's a banner under Google search today saying it's Safer Internet Day. If you click the banner and do a quick 1 minute account security check you are rewarded with an extra 2 gigs added to Google Drive storage.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DeaconBlues posted:

Quick heads-up to say there's a banner under Google search today saying it's Safer Internet Day. If you click the banner and do a quick 1 minute account security check you are rewarded with an extra 2 gigs added to Google Drive storage.

It should be mentioned that this is just like last year's offer and I think the 2GB expire in about a year so if you did it then, you can re-up.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

It should be mentioned that this is just like last year's offer and I think the 2GB expire in about a year so if you did it then, you can re-up.

I don't think it expires. I couldn't find any reference to it expiring, and the only thing showing up with an expiration date in my storage graph is the 50gb Motorola promotion.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Teaches of Peaches posted:

I have an odd situation but thought someone here might have a suggestion. I started a new job and the building I am working in has poor reception. Mostly because its down in a gully and the room is sort of a basement room. The problem I ran into today was battery drain. I figure most of the problem is my phone trying to get reception and ping for various location services. Is there a way disable stuff like that short of putting my phone in airplane mode? I can still receive calls and text I just don't have data etc in that area of the buidling. Today I spent most of the day in that area and my phone was at like 35% by lunch which is unusual. This is a Samsung S6 for reference.

You got Battery Saver mode on there? (The actual Android one in the Battery menu, not some other thing.) It cuts down on background activity so it might stop looking for data networks all the time

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I don't think it expires. I couldn't find any reference to it expiring, and the only thing showing up with an expiration date in my storage graph is the 50gb Motorola promotion.

It might not. I've had so many Drive space promos come and go that I have no idea where the 2GB I've got now came from. I know most of their "Free Drive space!" things have a year on them, though. I know my Chromebook did and I want to say last year's security challenge had an expiry date too.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

DeaconBlues posted:

Sweet. Thanks for pointing that out.

Granted, I'm not even using half of what I'm allotted, but doesn't hurt to get an extra bit in there.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
I recently got an email saying my Motorola promo is running out in March or something but also telling me that I'm not over the limit of my free storage capacity yet. I also think the security promo stays.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Howdy folks. Any suggestions on a selective ring app - aka something that will let me silence my phone, but have any selected contacts bypass that and ring out? I've got a couple of people whom I'm an emergency backup for, and want to make sure that I don't miss a call from them while I'm sleeping. Most ones that I can find seem to have a lot of reviews stating they don't work, etc. The SA suggestions have always steered me well, so thanks in advance.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Siochain posted:

Howdy folks. Any suggestions on a selective ring app - aka something that will let me silence my phone, but have any selected contacts bypass that and ring out? I've got a couple of people whom I'm an emergency backup for, and want to make sure that I don't miss a call from them while I'm sleeping. Most ones that I can find seem to have a lot of reviews stating they don't work, etc. The SA suggestions have always steered me well, so thanks in advance.

Light Flow has a sleep mode, allows you to set up specific notifications for any contact and can exclude contacts from being affected by sleep mode.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bunky posted:

Light Flow has a sleep mode, allows you to set up specific notifications for any contact and can exclude contacts from being affected by sleep mode.

Warning: might interact strangely with Lollipop+'s built-in priority mode or Motorola's enhancement of it.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Siochain posted:

Llama has something like this, but i haven't used it since i got the lollipop update

If you have lollipop or later and use priority mode when you sleep you can just set it to allow starred contacts to ring, and then just star those contacts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

hooah posted:

Warning: might interact strangely with Lollipop+'s built-in priority mode or Motorola's enhancement of it.

Good looking out. I'm still stuck on Kit Kat so Light Flow is pretty stable for me.