Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Banned for not understanding game design.

E: Sorry for the emptyquote, my post is in alpha.

BeefThief fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6343847/#Comment_6343847

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

BeefThief posted:

E: Sorry for the emptyquote, my post is in alpha.

It's still one of the most enjoyable posts I've seen in years!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

:vince:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

- Paaarps (I'm not sure what a paaarp attack is yet, but it involves an airhorn. Maybe just a sonic blast radius on a long cooldown timer?)

I don't know why but for some reason I pictured a paaarp attack I pictured some sort of high speed strike from below, like a shark:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I love that Chris' annoyed dismissals of his Star Marine shuffle actually keeps biting him in the rear end. I couldn't believe he doubled-down on it this week and probably pissed even more people off.

He is clearly so used to the fiat power to tell fans and subordinates whatever the hell he wants. Now he's on thin ice and at risk of a break through. If he had a publicist he trusted enough to tell him the ugly truth, that flack would tell him "now is the time for a full on apology, Chris. Do this right, show you can admit you were wrong, disclose the truth about what really went wrong, and we can win back some good will. Keep waving this off and that ice will crack, you'll sink and the whales will eat you alive."

moonraker
Oct 29, 2015
For those that missed it first time around . My version of Bens jackanory weekly bullshit show , to think people pay for this . I think I was very kind to him in my artistic interpretation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szhOYS3vgUg

Also who can forget SG Oscar winning performance at gamescom , I had a tear in my eye . I was a bit worried about where the backers money was going, but thank god CR walked in on water later in the show and dropped a shed load of paper on the floor like John Wayne spitting his gum out , for one of his minions to pick up later . I knew at that moment , the millions of donated dollars where in safe hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibI9Lmv2BFY

moonraker fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 9, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I like the concept that game development is a unique project type- completely different from all other forms of software development or any other enterprise project- because change.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
I should send a recruiting message, tell him to come over to the dark :gary: side.

The forums are melting down, slowly and surely. I bet that CIG is accelerating content releases for 2.2 to try and stop the bleeding. But this puts CIG in a nasty trap, they need content now to avoid a fatal loss of faith, but they also need full speed ahead on SQ42. They just don't have the time left to do both and Chris Roberts will FUBAR everything anyway :hfive:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6343976/#Comment_6343976

kind of feel bad for this guy :smith:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sperglord posted:

I should send a recruiting message, tell him to come over to the dark :gary: side.

The forums are melting down, slowly and surely. I bet that CIG is accelerating content releases for 2.2 to try and stop the bleeding. But this puts CIG in a nasty trap, they need content now to avoid a fatal loss of faith, but they also need full speed ahead on SQ42. They just don't have the time left to do both and Chris Roberts will FUBAR everything anyway :hfive:

I can't wait for 2.2 to be nothing more than a couple new ships in the hangar and a couple fixes for minor poo poo (you know, like not being able to buy space-clothes) and nothing more. The sad part is that will actually buy them time...

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

If I was a subscriber I would ask one question:

Where the ladies at?

They're talking about endless more animation & systems for movement, but we still don't have a single female avatar in the game. Surely, they could use some SQ42 assets for this? Or is everyone in SQ42 dudes underneath the mocap? Kinda like how the few children you see in SWTOR are just shrunken regular people w/ strange heads?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Free Fly and the full court press on "buy before the breakup!" is looking like a :gary:. I trust EightAce's bullishness on their cash position is informed and this needn't be cause for alarm yet, but it'd be worrisome for anyone assuming that the Breakup / FreeFly one two punch would be a booster.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

G0RF posted:

I love that Chris' annoyed dismissals of his Star Marine shuffle actually keeps biting him in the rear end. I couldn't believe he doubled-down on it this week and probably pissed even more people off.

He is clearly so used to the fiat power to tell fans and subordinates whatever the hell he wants. Now he's on thin ice and at risk of a break through. If he had a publicist he trusted enough to tell him the ugly truth, that flack would tell him "now is the time for a full on apology, Chris. Do this right, show you can admit you were wrong, disclose the truth about what really went wrong, and we can win back some good will. Keep waving this off and that ice will crack, you'll sink and the whales will eat you alive."

I like the description of 10ftc sounding more and more like an angry rant. Hopefully within a few weeks they will forego the questions entirely and Chris will just bang on his desk and yell about nobody knowing how game development works.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Yep. Also he just made a follow-up post.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6343914/#Comment_6343914

quote:

I love the "you have less than 200 posts, go away" and "find something else to think about" posts. Do you guys realize that that has been the line for almost 2 years as this thing perpetually falls into development hell? By the way, this guy with "less than 200 posts" is a &^&ing HIGH ADMIRAL. Does that buy him any credibility? ANY?

Trying to voice concern and reason on these forums has been like shouting into an echo chamber of battered spouses going through the 5 steps of grief. We've clearly blown by denial and anger and are entering the bargaining phase.

The goal-posts never stop moving; it's f'ing magical. The Idris is STILL in grey-boxing after being worked on by 2 teams for almost 3 years. We keep hearing how there is so much 'behind the scenes coding/building' that doesn't necessarily lend itself to immediate gratification (game-play), but that it is ensuring the development progress will move much quicker down the pipe. I've been hearing that from the SC mafia for 2 years. It's hard to get excited when a big announcement is that they released PU 1.0,2.0,2.1,2.2!!! every few months and completely re-balance or change the game blueprints (gimbaled weapons-Sizing/shields/CORE systems). It's also revealing to watch 10FTC (which seems to be turning into angry rants) when Chris reads a question from a backer that you would think should be straightforward and has a hard time answering how it will work in the ACTUAL game. We're talking BASIC questions about how the game is supposed to work! And now he's 'annoyed' that the unwashed masses are asking him where a huge chunk of the game went that loudly and publicly went through the PR ringer for over a year. "It's already in the game". "It wasn't our focus". "I get annoyed". Are the alarm bells ringing yet?

We've had a collective black hole of information about CRITICAL systems that are supposed to make up the foundation of the game for years. Anyone remember the awesome star economy video from 3 years ago? What now? Mining, trading, exploration, key design and architectural systems that are AWOL. Even worse, there seem to be design concepts floating around on these shows and missives that amazingly contradict themselves. Systems that couldn't possibly co-exist under the same design umbrella! Let me get this straight. An Idris can allegedly crew 50 unique people, but we currently can't have more than 8 people in a CryEngine sandbox demo without the game looking like all of it's assets are about to erupt like a volcano without even going near them.

Worst of all comes the cringe-inducing tone that the community team has taken. These attitudes could only exist in a vacuum where 100 million dollars is thrown at you with no inherent expectation or responsibility. What kind of delusions would you have to go through not to realize that there has been a HUGE public shift in attitudes about how badly this project has been managed (from the top)? You have lost the narrative when your name (game) becomes synonymous with broken promises, unrealistic goals, and zero results. I believe we've hit critical mass with opinions other than the shining protectors of our lord and savior. This is an echo chamber and is not representative of the general malaise surround the opinion of this project.

Something has to give. I really feel for the devs with their nose to the grindstone at CIG. How many times are you supposed to re-build my Constellation design before management finally lets you move on? I think they're on the 3rd Connie being redone? How many times did Illfonic have to redo the skeletal animations to try to shoe-horn their build back into the main Frankenstein CryEngine tech-demo branch? These guys are saints. Yes sir, I will re-do the xyz for the 12th time becuz "fidelity".

When I backed 3 years ago, I really believe in this thing. I really want this to work; it's just that. It can't. Not how it's being run right now.

:owned:

frame this beautiful post

someone should reply with the number for the suicide hotline

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 9, 2016

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

I can't wait for 2.2 to be nothing more than a couple new ships in the hangar and a couple fixes for minor poo poo (you know, like not being able to buy space-clothes) and nothing more. The sad part is that will actually buy them time...

Here is the crazy thing, a couple of hanger-ready ships would represent an almost infinite increase in CIG asset deployment. (.1 / .000001 etc. etc) That is why I think CIG has basically turned towards single person ships (Sabre, Reliant, upcoming Pirate interceptor). New ships avoid all the multicrew problems and create content now, as opposed to content later. But, and with CIG there is always a but, the ship production pipeline is better described as a tar-pit. Whatever will come out soon will represent a sharp decrease in asset quality, low fidelity.

This will be the summer of the Citizen's discontent. And we're just getting started.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yeah it's basically Pay to Pray right now.

Nope. It is still P2W.

Pay 2 Wait, that is.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

chris' annoyance and anger at the situation is maybe the most infuriating, hypocritical part. he was given an unfathomable amount of money to pursue his dream project. an amount of money that i can't actually even comprehend having, to invest on development of one game and he's pissed it all away, which is stupid but kind of predictable.

he had a creative wet dream made reality and squandered it on bad management, gary oldman and dressed-up railroad pylon furniture. chris, you are a giant rear end in a top hat.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sperglord posted:

Here is the crazy thing, a couple of hanger-ready ships would represent an almost infinite increase in CIG asset deployment. (.1 / .000001 etc. etc) That is why I think CIG has basically turned towards single person ships (Sabre, Reliant, upcoming Pirate interceptor). New ships avoid all the multicrew problems and create content now, as opposed to content later. But, and with CIG there is always a but, the ship production pipeline is better described as a tar-pit. Whatever will come out soon will represent a sharp decrease in asset quality, low fidelity.

This will be the summer of the Citizen's discontent. And we're just getting started.

The eventual hangar release of the Starfarer is going to be an amazing tear harvest. It'll be even better when they can't ever get it to fly (it is - or will be - the largest ship they will have tried to implement to date) and it becomes a stationary "FPS" level somewhere in Crusader.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Chin posted:

20% off the Horizons season pass too so $45 for an existent spaceship game and its expansion that adds planetary exploration and the promise of multicrew from a team that has proven they actually release things. :lol:

Stop making me regret my past mistakes that preclude me having a credit card so I can join in the fun. Well, I suppose I can install a C64 emulator and play the ORIGINAL Elite... :sigh:

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

I like that game development and Star Citizen development are separate, distinct things.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I like the concept that game development is a unique project type- completely different from all other forms of software development or any other enterprise project- because change.

Yeah this one really kills me. I've had to deal with chaos and change in every field of software engineering I've worked in. Games is no different.

The only real difference between game development and all other software dev is that games are entertainment, and the entertainment business is run by loving con men and hooligans. A career in games mainly appeals to these stunted, teenage, punk rock "gently caress rules" personalities. This is normal for code jockeys like me. But when this attitude persists all the way to senior management, you get clowns like Chris Roberts, with the mind of a spoiled 11-year-old rich kid, in charge of hundreds of millions of dollars. He doesn't like deadlines for the same reason kids don't like vegetables: He's not mature enough to know they're good for him.

Toops fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 9, 2016

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
I don't think we've gone through the full Mad Catz story. Here's a link and the relevant portion.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=69024&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2136454

quote:

On February 5, 2016, Mr. Thomas Brown resigned from the Company’s Board of Directors, including from his role as Chairman and from his position as a member of the Board’s Audit Committee. The Company’s Board of Directors has named Mr. John Nyholt as Chairman. Mr. Nyholt has been a director of the Company since October 2013.

In addition, the Company’s Board of Directors accepted the resignation of Mr. Darren Richardson from his position as President and Chief Executive Officer and from his seat as a member of the Company’s Board of Directors. Ms. Karen McGinnis, previously the Company’s Chief Financial Officer, has been named President and Chief Executive Officer of Mad Catz and has been appointed to the Company’s Board of Directors.

Replacing Ms. McGinnis, Mr. David McKeon has been appointed Chief Financial Officer. Mr. McKeon previously served as the Company’s Vice President, Corporate Controller.

Further, Mr. Whitney Peterson has resigned as the Company’s Senior Vice President of Business Affairs, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary. He was replaced as General Counsel and Corporate Secretary by Mr. Tyson Marshall, who previously served as Mad Catz’ Associate General Counsel. The Company also named Mr. Andrew Young to the newly created position of Chief Technology Officer. Mr. Young previously served as Vice President, Product Development at Mad Catz.

It looks like the entire board was replaced, before earnings were reported! I can see two possibilities, catastrophic numbers or financial malfeasance. This scale of board replacement suggests malfeasance, not terrible numbers. Especially replacing the CFO and General Counsel at the same time.

Which raises a crucial question, is this related to the CIG deal? Did CIG make a, possibly illegal, deal with Mad Catz to get the joystick contract? Whatever happened, we will find out, because this is a publically traded company.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

fuzzknot posted:

I like that game development and Star Citizen development are separate, distinct things.

Funny thing, that. IMO the OP is right, but doesn't understand what he's saying. When it comes to excellence in software development, as terrible as most game companies are, the rag-tag poo poo going on at Cloud Imperium Games makes everyone else look like a military parrade.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

alf_pogs posted:

chris' annoyance and anger at the situation is maybe the most infuriating, hypocritical part. he was given an unfathomable amount of money to pursue his dream project. an amount of money that i can't actually even comprehend having, to invest on development of one game and he's pissed it all away, which is stupid but kind of predictable.

he had a creative wet dream made reality and squandered it on bad management, gary oldman and dressed-up railroad pylon furniture. chris, you are a giant rear end in a top hat.

That's just it man, totally what gets me too! I honestly believe given the money I with no understanding of game development, could make a better game. How? By not being delusional. State your goal, hire people who know what they're doing. Listen to these people when they say why or why not we should do something with the game. Defer to their judgement! They're the ones in the pits making poo poo happen. It seem's so easy until you start throwing impossible dreams into the mix, and you're a delusional greedy little cock with dreams of grandeur as some loving hollywood mogul.

alecm
Aug 20, 2004

Lorraine, I'm your density. I mean . . . your destiny.
What is the origin of paarp?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

alecm posted:

If you had to pick, what sound would you say this face makes?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

alecm posted:

Who is Lorraine?

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Soon they'll be at FULL BURN

Haven't you seen their finances? They ARE at full burn.

alecm
Aug 20, 2004

Lorraine, I'm your density. I mean . . . your destiny.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, thanks!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Toops posted:

You could get a Goonrathi PaaaarpLancer Mk III, two Goonrathi RamPaaarp's with LTI, and an Ageist Potato.

With your package we'd also include one Kidney unmelt token.

Count me in. Can I email you a JPEG of it as a deposit?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Sperglord posted:

I don't think we've gone through the full Mad Catz story. Here's a link and the relevant portion.

It looks like the entire board was replaced, before earnings were reported! I can see two possibilities, catastrophic numbers or financial malfeasance. This scale of board replacement suggests malfeasance, not terrible numbers. Especially replacing the CFO and General Counsel at the same time.

Which raises a crucial question, is this related to the CIG deal? Did CIG make a, possibly illegal, deal with Mad Catz to get the joystick contract? Whatever happened, we will find out, because this is a publically traded company.

Yeah that looks like sketchy financials/reporting. They probably took some "offshore diversification" advice from Ortwin.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Sperglord posted:

You beat me by a few seconds on this. Here's more related info on Mad Catz if anyone cares. I suspect the earnings news won't be good tomorrow:

Gamespot Article (not in depth)
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mad-catz-shares-plummet-as-ceo-and-other-execs-lea/1100-6434612/

PR release:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mad-catz-announces-executive-board-181358452.html

Stock info:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=mcz&ql=1

The company has lost money the past two reporting quarters:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/is?s=MCZ

In addition to Sperglord's and Toops' questions, I wonder if this will have any impact on the production schedule for the Star Citizen HOTAS controllers they were working on?

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

alecm posted:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Samizdata posted:

Count me in. Can I email you a JPEG of it as a deposit?

Sure thing, we take jpegs as deposits*

*Note: no products will be delivered until all purchases are paid in full, and any deposits or investments will be squandered on furniture and/or recreational drugs

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

The eventual hangar release of the Starfarer is going to be an amazing tear harvest. It'll be even better when they can't ever get it to fly (it is - or will be - the largest ship they will have tried to implement to date) and it becomes a stationary "FPS" level somewhere in Crusader.

Right, Starfarer would only be delayed by over a month if there was something blocking the asset inclusion in the game. If it is an impossible pile of polygons which no computer short of a DOE supercomputer could render, then it will be stuck in a citizen's hanger for all eternity.

Who should a CIG forum poster talk to about a free account? (In case of banning)

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer

Daztek posted:

I wonder how many manhours CIG spends trying to keep up with this thread

Hey Gabe, what are your rates? I'm going to need to get a second job soon, you think CIG will hire me to comb more outside forums like you?
Gabe?... Hammer? You there?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Sperglord posted:

Right, Starfarer would only be delayed by over a month if there was something blocking the asset inclusion in the game. If it is an impossible pile of polygons which no computer short of a DOE supercomputer could render, then it will be stuck in a citizen's hanger for all eternity.

Who should a CIG forum poster talk to about a free account? (In case of banning)

Email Lowtax, webmaster@somethingawful.com

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I backed E:D a long time ago and only regret it on the grounds that the computer I have now cannot play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Everything CRs want to implement can be done, its just about doing it

ill trust CR

What CR thinks is what sets the norm of what is fun

• Locked thread