Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Jan posted:

Out of nowhere, I booted my Win 10 computer and some processes never started/worked properly. (Task Manager wouldn't show, Chrome failed to load pages, Windows Defender wouldn't open.) All of these worked in Safe Mode. I tried SFC /scannow, MalwareBytes, reinstalled some drivers, to no avail. So I just shrugged and did a Windows Reset, which was fairly painless last time I did it.

Except this time, it decided to nuke my Program Files folder along with Windows proper. I've been reinstalling what few programs I have that live there, but I'm not sure what changed since the last reset I did? Did I overlook an option beyond "Keep my files" in the reset screen?

A reset should delete everything. A refresh should only reinstall Windows. You probably wanted the latter.

At least this was the case in Windows 8/8.1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
You have to insert your Windows CD/USB stick and perform an in place upgrade to keep everyting. The loving Reset options are useless for 99% of people that want to keep their apps.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

I was under the impression that after the november update, Win10 was supposed to accept win7 keys for activation, but it says my key can't be used for this edition.

The only thing I can think of is that it's because of a version language mismatch, but I thought you were free to install whatever language you wanted.

It's a UK English Win7 Home Premium key and a clean install of US English Win10 Home Single Language on a new SSD. Single Language was the only home option the media creation tool gave me.

EDIT: Well, this is fun. I updated the UEFI on my mobo because I had some problems with getting Windows installed on the SSD in the first place and started getting INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE errors. Like a genius I had formatted the Win10 USB already to use it to update the mobo. Now I'm installing Win7 from DVD, which informed me that on EFI machines Windows must be on a GPT drive, which I couldn't get to work earlier. I guess the update fixed the motherboard too well.

On the bright side, I'll do the upgrade path and won't have activation problems.

Peewi fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 6, 2016

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I just recently upgraded my install of windows 8.1 to 10. Everything is great, but I'm running into the same issue over and over. It's more annoyance than anything. The start menu stops responding. I can right click it and get the task list to come up, but clicking the button does not pull anything up. Restarting Windows Explorer fixes it for a bit, running the SFC/DISM repair tools fixes it for longer, but it just keeps coming back.

Any suggestions or is this just a quirk I'm gonna have to put up with? I really don't want to wipe and reinstall the system yet.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

ApexAftermath posted:

I just recently upgraded my install of windows 8.1 to 10. Everything is great, but I'm running into the same issue over and over. It's more annoyance than anything. The start menu stops responding. I can right click it and get the task list to come up, but clicking the button does not pull anything up. Restarting Windows Explorer fixes it for a bit, running the SFC/DISM repair tools fixes it for longer, but it just keeps coming back.

Any suggestions or is this just a quirk I'm gonna have to put up with? I really don't want to wipe and reinstall the system yet.

I have had the same issue as well and haven't found a solution. The Notification Center seems to stop working at the same time.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Magnus Praeda posted:

I have had the same issue as well and haven't found a solution. The Notification Center seems to stop working at the same time.

It's just not quite annoying enough to get me to do a full system wipe, and who knows if that will even fix it. I just wish there was more of a solid answer out there on why it happens. I used to get it every so often on Windows 8.1 but not like this.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ApexAftermath posted:

I just wish there was more of a solid answer out there on why it happens.
Might as well be the thread title.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Oh boy my mouse has started double clicking on single click. Seems to be an issue with some mice and windows 10 there's an 18 page thread about it on that microsoft answers website so guess I'm stuck using some third party software to turn on a de-bouncer (had to go into settings to find it)

Oh well, so far it seems to be working.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I've got Windows 10 set up so that there's only one taskbar, and it's on the primary monitor. It's hidden when I run a fullscreen-windowed program, as it should be, but only appears when I click on a bit of empty desktop on another monitor. I'm used to it appearing when I click on any other monitor, be it on an application or bare desktop, and while it isn't impossible to retrain myself, I'd prefer to get the old behavior back.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

ApexAftermath posted:

I had this same issue, except restarting explorer.exe didn't fix it, SFC found nothing wrong, and DISM didn't work at all. Only logging out and logging back in fixed it for a short time.

To permanently* fix this, I had to create a new local account and copy my files over to it. Note that I originally had a local account and logged into specific apps with my MS account instead of using the MS account as my Windows login.

*Hopefully, anyway. It's been about a month since I created a new local account, and it's been good so far.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It keeps your files, not your apps.

E: oh hey a new page

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

havenwaters posted:

Oh boy my mouse has started double clicking on single click. Seems to be an issue with some mice and windows 10 there's an 18 page thread about it on that microsoft answers website so guess I'm stuck using some third party software to turn on a de-bouncer (had to go into settings to find it)

Oh well, so far it seems to be working.

Is THAT why I can't drag words and paragraphs in Word anymore?! It just highlights now, and sometimes stops doing that randomly.

It just recently stopped working, and I thought my mouse was dying, but it works fine in other applications and moving icons on the desktop.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

brylcreem posted:

Is THAT why I can't drag words and paragraphs in Word anymore?! It just highlights now, and sometimes stops doing that randomly.

It just recently stopped working, and I thought my mouse was dying, but it works fine in other applications and moving icons on the desktop.

I'm not sure. That sounds like some setting is wrong or weird in Word. When my mouse does that double click it does it globally and not just in an application. I still have to try the mouse on another computer to make sure it isn't just my mouse randomly dying.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I can't get my Surface Pro to stop requiring a password when waking.

When I run netplwiz I see two User Names which are the same. Is this a duplicate, and could it cause problems? What would happen if I removed one of them?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

me your dad posted:

When I run netplwiz I see two User Names which are the same. Is this a duplicate, and could it cause problems? What would happen if I removed one of them?

I'm pretty sure one of those accounts is for the Microsoft account sign-in, so you shouldn't touch them.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
My start menu stops working pretty much every day now. I've tried all the fixes, and they don't work for me. It's really bugging the poo poo out of me.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
My start menu basically works, but searches still take ages. I used to think that was because my only Windows machine was an ancient laptop, but now that I have a new computer with a fast processor, gobs of RAM, and an SSD it's still way too slow.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.

TopherCStone posted:

My start menu basically works, but searches still take ages. I used to think that was because my only Windows machine was an ancient laptop, but now that I have a new computer with a fast processor, gobs of RAM, and an SSD it's still way too slow.

Welcome to modern windows search; useful for nothing, particularly searching.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I turned off Cortana search totally and my start menu got a million times more responsive.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

me your dad posted:

Netplwiz will work when booting or rebooting. If you're waking the Surface from sleep or hibernation then you'll get the login screen. You should be able to set it to not require a password on wake-up in power options though.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
My start menu and taskbar clock frequently take forever to open, but they never actually stop working.

Not sure if that is progress or not.

Seriously though, why the gently caress was windows 3.1 on a pentium 66mhz with 16MB of ram and an ancient spinning 800MB hard drive more responsive than windows 10 on an i5 with 8GB ram and a PCI-E SSD (surface book)?!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

ilkhan posted:

My start menu and taskbar clock frequently take forever to open, but they never actually stop working.

Seriously though, why the gently caress was windows 3.1 on a pentium 66mhz with 16MB of ram and an ancient spinning 800MB hard drive more responsive than windows 10 on an i5 with 8GB ram and a PCI-E SSD (surface book)?!

Probably because you were running Windows 3.1 on a computer with 4x the RAM (and probably faster ram at that), a significantly better processor which was also significantly faster (66 mhz Pentium vs 16 mhz 386, which is much more than the 4.2x speed increase it seems at first glance), and a much faster and larger hard drive than it was designed around for the original "recommended" specs? And all the stuff you were running expected similarly much lower specs than you were providing?

Hell you probably had a video card in there with 2d acceleration, which really made Win 3.1 faster than the default experience.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Whoever suggested the program "Search Everything" please present your balls so I can place them on my chin.

Its.. instant. And the app is tiny. Why microsoft

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

me your dad posted:

Do you happen with have a work exchange email account in the mail app? If you do, it could be your works security settings.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I recently did a fresh install of Windows 10 because I haven't done so since upgrading from 8.1. I had this problem before and I can't remember how I fixed it. When I pop up the input switcher (Win+space) I have three options: English (US), Swedish (Sweden), and English (Canada). I only want the list to show the US English and Swedish options, because the Canadian input option is useless to me.

My Region & Language settings are:

And only US and Swedish are available if I go to the input settings on the control panel:

so I have no idea why the Canadian input is showing up. Is it because I have my region set to Canada in the Region & Language settings? I'm pretty sure I fixed this without changing that :confused:

It's not hugely important I guess, just a nuisance. I just like hitting Win+space to quickly swap between two input methods and I don't really like having to cycle through three of them.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

fishmech posted:

Probably because you were running Windows 3.1 on a computer with 4x the RAM (and probably faster ram at that), a significantly better processor which was also significantly faster (66 mhz Pentium vs 16 mhz 386, which is much more than the 4.2x speed increase it seems at first glance), and a much faster and larger hard drive than it was designed around for the original "recommended" specs? And all the stuff you were running expected similarly much lower specs than you were providing?

Hell you probably had a video card in there with 2d acceleration, which really made Win 3.1 faster than the default experience.
Its not a question of hardware. The SB has *plenty* of hardware available. Its just a bloated mess. It should not take 4 seconds for my start menu to pop up. Ever. Its like its recalculating every aspect of it every time.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

ilkhan posted:

Its not a question of hardware. The SB has *plenty* of hardware available. Its just a bloated mess. It should not take 4 seconds for my start menu to pop up. Ever. Its like its recalculating every aspect of it every time.

This was happening to me until I turned off all the Cortana poo poo. I still have the dumb problem where the start menu stops working, but when it is working it now pops up super quick.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

havenwaters posted:

I'm not sure. That sounds like some setting is wrong or weird in Word. When my mouse does that double click it does it globally and not just in an application. I still have to try the mouse on another computer to make sure it isn't just my mouse randomly dying.

Actually it went away on its own :shrug:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Do you happen with have a work exchange email account in the mail app? If you do, it could be your works security settings.

I've never connected this computer to my exchange account.

I ended up finding some instructions here to completely disable the lock screen and that seemed to do the trick. I used the Group Policy (gpedit.msc) method and it's now password free :toot:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

dud root posted:

Whoever suggested the program "Search Everything" please present your balls so I can place them on my chin.

Its.. instant. And the app is tiny. Why microsoft

Is this called "everything" ?

edit: Nm I'm using it now

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 9, 2016

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008
Microsoft starts posting update changelogs. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/update-history-windows-10
Unfortunately not as detailed as the ones Wzor used to leak during development.

edit. Another one: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-info

MikusR fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Feb 9, 2016

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Is there any way to force an update to download? Its been stuck like this for an hour at this point.

I've checked my network and nothing is actually being downloaded, it just sits there.

Do i just have to wait until it decides to start?

MikusR
Jan 5, 2008

tinaun posted:

Is there any way to force an update to download? Its been stuck like this for an hour at this point.

I've checked my network and nothing is actually being downloaded, it just sits there.

Do i just have to wait until it decides to start?

Try Start => power => Update and restart.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Is this called "everything" ?

edit: Nm I'm using it now

Been using Everything search for years now. How the gently caress can MS have their search engine be so broken and slow. Un-loving-real!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

redeyes posted:

Been using Everything search for years now. How the gently caress can MS have their search engine be so broken and slow. Un-loving-real!

What gets me is the regression since Windows 7. It was fast and useful then, now it's even worse than on Windows 8.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What gets me is the regression since Windows 7. It was fast and useful then, now it's even worse than on Windows 8.

And what if you need to search a NAS share for instance... not gonna happen. Everything can do it amazingly well. To be honest I've been using indexing engines since the DOS days and at this point I have lost all confidence with MS. It is INSANE they cannot even get this simple functionality working and useful.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ilkhan posted:

Not even once, and I'm on hardware that's starting to get pretty dated (6-core AMD FX).

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.

redeyes posted:

Everything is cool, but it's not hard to understand why something that indexes the file contents is more complex than something that just reads NTFS filenames.
That said it's still possible for this to actually be achieved and their attempt is lovely and weirdly unreliable. The lack of any exposed options is really the problem; it forever says it's indexing but I could happily tell it no recent changes need to be indexed if it'd just expose a way of setting that.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So yeah, I've installed Windows 10 Home on my new machine, this time on bare metal instead of a VM. I check the device manager and I have like a trillion Base System Devices with Code 28 Driver Not Installed. The hell is that about? Mainboard is an ASRock X99 Extreme4 with an Intel 5820K.

Pudding: http://i.imgur.com/QjaauKp.png

--edit:
Nevermind, it's a bunch of Xeon CPU placeholders stuff. I wonder if the Windows kernel even makes use of this, especially since that whole jibberjabber isn't there on non -E CPUs.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Combat Pretzel posted:

So yeah, I've installed Windows 10 Home on my new machine, this time on bare metal instead of a VM. I check the device manager and I have like a trillion Base System Devices with Code 28 Driver Not Installed. The hell is that about? Mainboard is an ASRock X99 Extreme4 with an Intel 5820K.

Pudding: http://i.imgur.com/QjaauKp.png

I know you're an advanced computer science guy, but make sure you've installed all the latest updates since Windows Update is now much better at grabbing latest drivers for things than previous versions.