Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I would expect my direct superiors to know how to run and manage a business, and my floor workers to know the product.

Doesn't change the fact that you are "that guy"

I literally covered this like 3 posts ago you dunce

also lol you actually do work retail don't you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Games Workshop.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Justin Godscock posted:

Nintendo is the only company that hasn't lost its loving mind and understands it needs to be pragmatic to succeed.

Sega's doing quite well, too. They sensed where things are going, and have slowly shifted towards western developers. They've really gone in on the PC market especially, making stuff like the Total War games, they've been porting basically every game you could want from them to it, and they've got Football Manager as sort of a no-nonsense constant moneymaker. They're really good at social media, too, especially with Sonic.

Basically Sega should be a lesson to all major developers, especially Japanese ones, in handling a shifting market properly. Which is surprising, given that until about ten years ago they were gaming's greatest lesson in 'what not to do'. The Great Sonic Crash of '06 caused them to do a stellar job in getting their poo poo together.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Justin Godscock posted:

Nintendo is the only company that hasn't lost its loving mind and understands it needs to be pragmatic to succeed.

It's pretty hilarious that the company that brought you the Wii and the DS can be realistically called pragmatic

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Then that's even more damning evidence towards how terribly Radio Shack ran its corporate side because the 4 DMs I met all started as associates and worked their way up the chain. The specific guy I mentioned managed 3 different stores before he moved up to DM, and was an associate for years before then. So I guess it's lovely practices both ways - promoting internally rather than bringing in people who actually know how to oversee groups of stores, and allowing someone to rise up through the ranks without learning a drat thing about what they're supposed to be selling.

I worked a few small box retail operations through high school and university and literally the only people who rise through the ranks there are god drat sociopaths with zero prospects and no hard and/or soft skills. I've had a loving district manager run through a small camera shop screaming not to touch his blood because he got Hep C from his Filipino wife while I'm trying to keep the one person stupid enough to wander in during the past 2 hours from walking out, these are the kinds of people you're dealing with with a lovely specialty outfit like Radio Shack.

That's the total turnkey cost and that's still insanely cheaper than a lot of other major franchise numbers I've heard thrown around. The biggest variable is going to be your location which is going to be the biggest factor to your success.

BigBoss posted:

And not all franchises are horrible predatory scams. Then again a guy who was a "big poo poo CFO" and lost it all on one subway wasn't actually some hot poo poo exec, he was a dipshit scrub. A real big time exec wouldn't be wiped out by one subway failing.

They aren't but then again everything I've read about franchises say the only time you're going to see a decent ROI is when you're on deck all day every day or you're hiring somebody to keep an eye on everything, and who the loving wants to be in a subway every day of their life to get an 11% annual return on $300k. Of course it scales, if you're buying a McDonalds your turnkey costs are probably going to be significantly higher since they're a more "premier" franchise with a longer list of requirements but you're also churning out big bucks slinging those generic meat patties and the occasional mcnugget by the truckload.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

I worked a few small box retail operations through high school and university and literally the only people who rise through the ranks there are god drat sociopaths with zero prospects and no hard and/or soft skills. I've had a loving district manager run through a small camera shop screaming not to touch his blood because he got Hep C from his Filipino wife while I'm trying to keep the one person stupid enough to wander in during the past 2 hours from walking out, these are the kinds of people you're dealing with with a lovely specialty outfit like Radio Shack.

I guess I got lucky because while upper management was dumb-but-bland, there was a good year and a half where I could buy great, cheap weed from my assistant manager and all 3 of my associates

Retail hell was softened a great deal by being able to go downstairs to the stockroom and hit the Store Bong whenever I felt like it

Good times

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

I literally covered this like 3 posts ago you dunce

also lol you actually do work retail don't you

No actually I don't.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Tiny Lowtax posted:

No actually I don't.

:bravo:

Is Adobe still relevant as a company? I know they're being basically forced to give Flash the Ol' Yeller treatment, and everyone I know who uses any part of CS talks about how loving awful Creative Cloud is. Acrobat seems to be increasingly irrelevant these days, too.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 05:51 on Feb 9, 2016

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Startup cost is different than franchise cost. Subway's franchise cost is extremely low, even compared to other sub shops. It's half of Jimmy Johns.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

1500quidporsche posted:

They aren't but then again everything I've read about franchises say the only time you're going to see a decent ROI is when you're on deck all day every day or you're hiring somebody to keep an eye on everything, and who the loving wants to be in a subway every day of their life to get an 11% annual return on $300k. Of course it scales, if you're buying a McDonalds your turnkey costs are probably going to be significantly higher since they're a more "premier" franchise with a longer list of requirements but you're also churning out big bucks slinging those generic meat patties and the occasional mcnugget by the truckload.
People work very hard day in and day out for less. I'm not going to say owning and running a Subway is a panacea, but is it worse than any other bullshit job 99% of the world works?

Oh, and McDonald's often helps by mortgaging the entire franchise for you. So that way startup costs aren't a hindrance for people who don't have a million in cash laying around. You pay it off over time, and frankly it's pretty hard to gently caress up a McDonald's from what I understand.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

Justin Godscock posted:

The Japanese game publishers are basically panicking right now because North America and Europe have gotten so big (in terms of market share and publisher success) that their style just doesn't sell anymore and you don't have to succeed in Japan to make it in the gaming world anymore. So they are making stupid loving decisions like burning bridges with their big brains (Hideo Kojima and Keiji Inafune had major fallings out), re-mastering games that were hits in North America and just plain not understanding that people don't want anime-looking games with dumb absurdity anymore.

lol hopefully Kojima can manage his loyal fanbase's funds better than Inafune.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

He said to license, dipshit.

Goalposts, ahoy!

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

a happy snowman posted:

He said to license, dipshit.

Goalposts, ahoy!

Did you click the link? You have to buy all that poo poo (other than lawyers, accountants and rent) from subway to open the restaurant.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
All subways should be renamed to we knew about a rapist pedophile and gave him lots of money for years!

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Did you click the link? You have to buy all that poo poo (other than lawyers, accountants and rent) from subway to open the restaurant.

Yeah, I did books in real estate property management in retail for years to pay for college, asswipe. I actually know what I'm talking about here.

Those costs for buildout, etc. are 'cost of doing business' for any restaurant no matter what company franchises, so no, it's not considered part of the 'licensing fee' for Subway. That's just what it takes to build out a property. Subway's prices are typical, and buying it from them is just a quality control and manufacturing measure, so they ensure you don't gently caress it up.

The LICENSING FEE is $15k. Which is a goddamn pittance compared to many other franchises, not to mention other things like liquor licenses that are way loving more cost prohibitive for many businesses.

Go here to see a list of places that cost lot more in comparison.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So why is twitter dying?

Is it one of those tech things that expanded outward but didn't get enough income to justify the expansion?

Then that's even more damning evidence towards how terribly Radio Shack ran its corporate side because the 4 DMs I met all started as associates and worked their way up the chain. The specific guy I mentioned managed 3 different stores before he moved up to DM, and was an associate for years before then. So I guess it's lovely practices both ways - promoting internally rather than bringing in people who actually know how to oversee groups of stores, and allowing someone to rise up through the ranks without learning a drat thing about what they're supposed to be selling.
On the flipside, what about hopelessly disconnected DMs? We had plenty at Office Depot when I worked there. Corporate would have us do all sorts of weird "customer-experience" things without really seeing the results of it directly. Yeah, DMs should definitely have more education than a cashier, but corporate disconnect created a lot of baffling things, like being forced to tell our customers "see you next week"

:tinfoil:

It was shortly after I quit, but when they ate up Office Max, they made the decision to adopt its policies that clearly hurt them in the first place?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Avocados posted:

So why is twitter dying?

Is it one of those tech things that expanded outward but didn't get enough income to justify the expansion?

"wait, how do we actually make money off of this fuckin thing?" - an investor

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Avocados posted:

So why is twitter dying?

They have nearly 4000 employees and no good source of revenue. Also the number of users is in decline. They are losing a few hundred million dollars per year with no solution in sight to actually make a profit.
How do you even employ 4000 people to keep a service like twitter running? What do these people do all day?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

NihilismNow posted:

They have nearly 4000 employees and no good source of revenue. Also the number of users is in decline. They are losing a few hundred million dollars per year with no solution in sight to actually make a profit.
How do you even employ 4000 people to keep a service like twitter running? What do these people do all day?

Tons of games and booze in the office to keep the minions happy. Their office space is amazing.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Games Workshop.

still going strong

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

NihilismNow posted:

how many of those are developers or engineers? Even a just a front end Dev will make 80k-100k a year in the valley.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I feel like news stations should be forced to pay Twitter since a good chunk of their reporting seems to be "and now our intern checked out hashtags so the under 30s will maybe watch tv again"

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mein Eyes! posted:

still going strong

when you hit 1 employee/workshop total (not per shift), you can't exactly downsize further

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Houle posted:

I feel like news stations should be forced to pay Twitter since a good chunk of their reporting seems to be "and now our intern checked out hashtags so the under 30s will maybe watch tv again"

Regardless of whether or not you pay twitter, you need to make sure you don't pay the intern :yeah:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Hey has anyone mentioned the fact that after saying that Rockband 4 controller sales were going to make or break the company and that line performing dismally all MadCatz stock has been frozen for 24 hours as of last night and a big announcement is coming today?

Someone might be going to jail.

Those fuckers ruined Saitek.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

EvilJoven posted:

Hey has anyone mentioned the fact that after saying that Rockband 4 controller sales were going to make or break the company and that line performing dismally all MadCatz stock has been frozen for 24 hours as of last night and a big announcement is coming today?

I can't believe there was a new rockband released. I thought everyone quit playing it in 2010.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oh also a bunch of execs resigned and their quarterlies are supposed to come out today.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

eric posted:

I can't believe there was a new rockband released. I thought everyone quit playing it in 2010.

Not only was it released, it was released unfinished with a ton of missing features. It was garbage.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Not only was it released, it was released unfinished with a ton of missing features. It was garbage.

Haha but enough about your DNA :fry:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Avocados posted:

On the flipside, what about hopelessly disconnected DMs? We had plenty at Office Depot when I worked there. Corporate would have us do all sorts of weird "customer-experience" things without really seeing the results of it directly. Yeah, DMs should definitely have more education than a cashier, but corporate disconnect created a lot of baffling things, like being forced to tell our customers "see you next week"

:tinfoil:

It was shortly after I quit, but when they ate up Office Max, they made the decision to adopt its policies that clearly hurt them in the first place?

What's up former OD buddy?! I was an assistant store manager in Chicago in my early 20's before I moved away from retail. My favorite thing from back then was the "make sure you have a greater at the front door to hand out the weekly flyers, but we're not gonna budget you extra hours to cover this new arbitrary position we just created on a whim so figure something out. -with love- Upper Management." I was in charge of setting a schedule for a multi-million dollar flagship retail store in a gigantic metropolitan area and they would only allot like 200 hours a week for us to have basically a 24 hour operation because of the overnight shipments we had to maintain for absolutely no reason. It was laughable and when the CEO came touring around he was super pissed at how sparsely everything was staffed in the entire region. We immediately got like 20% more hours for the next 2 months before they pushed it back down again.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Feb 9, 2016

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Is Adobe still relevant as a company? I know they're being basically forced to give Flash the Ol' Yeller treatment, and everyone I know who uses any part of CS talks about how loving awful Creative Cloud is. Acrobat seems to be increasingly irrelevant these days, too.

In certain markets there just aren't really any alternatives. Premiere's only direct competitor is Final Cut, and Apple has been making decisions that have been pissing off the prosumer target market. There are higher-end alternatives but they carry high-end price tags. Krita is starting to displace Photoshop a bit in the digital illustration space, but the only all-around real competitor is The Gimp and, while it's actually somewhat of a viable alternative to Photoshop these days, good luck retraining an entire office full of middle-aged people who have only used Photoshop for the last 20 years. I don't think After Effects has any real competition at it's price point. There are higher-end compositing products like NUKE or Flame, but, like the Premiere alternatives, they are priced for studios making Hollywood films.

Between Adobe and Autodesk, they control almost the entire creative software industry. All we need is for one to buy-out the other and they would basically have a total monopoly. They could implement DRM that demanded DNA samples and people would do it because they would have no real alternative.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The_Franz posted:

In certain markets there just aren't really any alternatives. Premiere's only direct competitor is Final Cut, and Apple has been making decisions that have been pissing off the prosumer target market. There are higher-end alternatives but they carry high-end price tags. Krita is starting to displace Photoshop a bit in the digital illustration space, but the only all-around real competitor is The Gimp and, while it's actually somewhat of a viable alternative to Photoshop these days, good luck retraining an entire office full of middle-aged people who have only used Photoshop for the last 20 years. I don't think After Effects has any real competition at it's price point. There are higher-end compositing products like NUKE or Flame, but, like the Premiere alternatives, they are priced for studios making Hollywood films.

Between Adobe and Autodesk, they control almost the entire creative software industry. All we need is for one to buy-out the other and they would basically have a total monopoly. They could implement DRM that demanded DNA samples and people would do it because they would have no real alternative.

Adobe still owns ColdFusion which is an old mark up language relic from the late 90s-early 2000s and used by US government and healthcare. The Enterprise world is also a heavy user of Acrobat for PDFs.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

BigBoss posted:

frankly it's pretty hard to gently caress up a McDonald's from what I understand.

You should google this because it's kinda long to get into but the short answer is McD's franchise owners are mad as hell.

Like I think you're right the actual operation of the McD's is hard to mess up but due to McD's policies and menu changes they're making less and less money. Then again their share price is doing okay so idk.

EvilJoven posted:

lol if you didn't sell immediately as soon as the price started dipping like the second day after RB4's release. people gotta learn to be happy with their gains instead of expecting everything to be a lottery ticket.

MadCatz controllers have always been the ones to avoid at the Gamestop so idk what the gently caress people were thinking there other than a quick profit off RB4's release tbh.

FishionMailed has a new favorite as of 22:54 on Feb 9, 2016

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FishionMailed posted:

MadCatz controllers have always been the ones to avoid at the Gamestop so idk what the gently caress people were thinking there other than a quick profit off RB4's release tbh.

I want to say that MadCatz stepped up their game in recent years but boy were their N64 peripherals total loving crap. Even beyond that weird rule Nintendo had where a 3rd-party controller couldn't use the same design as the original, theirs was still a loving abomination of cheaply-made plastic and hard edges. Same with Nyko.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

I want to say that MadCatz stepped up their game in recent years but boy were their N64 peripherals total loving crap. Even beyond that weird rule Nintendo had where a 3rd-party controller couldn't use the same design as the original, theirs was still a loving abomination of cheaply-made plastic and hard edges. Same with Nyko.

What a failed opportunity considering how much everyone actually disliked the N64 controller design. Coulda shown Nintendo up and made themselves the new standard or some poo poo - 'oh lemme get the MadCatz controller!' instead of 'ugh loser has to play with the MadCatz controller.'

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

FishionMailed posted:

What a failed opportunity considering how much everyone actually disliked the N64 controller design. Coulda shown Nintendo up and made themselves the new standard or some poo poo - 'oh lemme get the MadCatz controller!' instead of 'ugh loser has to play with the MadCatz controller.'

They tried

They failed

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

When they took over Saitek, their HOTAS systems went from super tough and long lived to lovely plastic junk that loses calibration and breaks after a few months.

Plus MadCatz has always been terrible, I had a MadCatz PS2 controller that was punishment for people who kept doing cheap combos in MvC

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
Mad Catz have always made poo poo products designed to be the cheap option for moms when junior had a tantrum and smashed his controller in a tantrum and needs a replacement.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

OTOH i got a few Wiimote wireless nunchuk thingies for like $3 each from Nyko, they work really well and it's pretty nice not having to hold both hands 6 inches from each other at all times when playing Wii

oh and a wireless sensor bar for the Wii too, but that's kind of hard to gently caress up seeing as how it's literally a pair of IR LEDs in a box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

reallivedinosaur posted:

Mad Catz have always made poo poo products designed to be the cheap option for moms when junior had a tantrum and smashed his controller in a tantrum and needs a replacement.
Pretty much, yeah. I forget if it was PS1 or N64 where I bought one of their controllers as a kid and realized that they were garbage. Never bought an off-brand controller again.