Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Exactly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
I'm getting pretty tired of the loving bullet time just when literally anyone is about to bite it

Oh what's that, you're about to have your head swiped off by arguably the single best most competent professional titan murderer on the planet? Pull some Neo poo poo and shrug it off

like bruh, come on

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

It's not about wanting to get to the basement. It's the fact that what transpired in this chapter should have taken far fewer pages than it did.
It's not about the tactical events either.

You said it, this chapter was all about revealing that Bertolt has changed.

Haven't you ever thought it was odd that the colossal titan was such an iconic part, not just of this manga, but across Japanese media at this point... and Bertolt himself has been such a non-entity? This chapter was, to me, about Bertolt becoming an entity. Maybe it's because I've always found his apparently meek character really interesting that I found this really exciting, but I thought it was honestly really well executed. It feels like a really late stage to be getting into the head of such a major antagonist, but in Bertolt's case it makes sense.

Yes, the chapter began with Bert about to blow and ended with Bert blowing, but the way we got there was really goddamn cool to me.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Yeah, don't forget that Bertolt ranked third among the 104th division and his weakness was specifically identified to be his lack of assertiveness. It's no surprise that, now that he's found the will to act, he's a monster.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
That sweaty guy started acting the way that mid boss that eventually rises to the position of last boss should in this chapter, frankly

I don't necessarily think it'll happen, but if he's doing all this horrible poo poo out of a nihilistic sense of "Everything is terrible so I might as well follow this lovely agenda" he makes a good contrast to the Survey Corps and their struggle against the status quo. Combine that with the fact that he's responsible for Eren's mom being dead and voila~

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think the only weakness of the chapter was the events should be switched. He should have nuked the place, then talked.

Would be interesting if Berthold rises to become the antagonist of the series.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

I really dig this complicated treatment of the story's main bad guys. Looking forward to Annie coming back in whatever capacity.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just need you all to die, is that so hard to ask?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Gotta hand it to this series, it's got GREAT antagonists which are not only monstrous, but also very, very hatable. The fact that they are complex and very human as well only makes it worse. It's true, you get a chill down your spine when you see how insanely deluded and irredeemable they are.

Having said that,

absolutely no-one believes anyone important is gonna die anymore, and it's getting tiresome as gently caress.
Which is fine. Not every series needs to be a grimdark "anyone can die" spectacle. But it gets ridiculous when death fakeouts are thrown about to this degree. Why kill the most fun antagonist in the series in the most disappointing way possible, yet never touch the main cast at all? GODDAMN

Kill Hange and Reiner, is what I'm saying.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Servaetes posted:

how the gently caress does a dude survive having his loving head blown off jesus christ can he just die already

Three chapters ago Levi almost cut his head and Reiner thinks something like "jeez, I almost die! thanks god I transferred my consciousness to the Titan just before!". I think it's a clear setup done for explaining what happens here.

Logikv9 posted:

does this mean he is technically stuck in his titan forever? they would have to actually attack his titan's brain now

I thought that would be the case, so at least he lost something. A small victory for the protagonists. But no, looks at the last panel, he is regenerating the head. gently caress this. :(

And yeah, it's clear everyone with a real name has plot immunity. This doesn't have to be Games of Thrones but in a fight to death someone should die already.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 9, 2016

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I had forgotten Mikasa exists.

Turin Turambar posted:

And yeah, it's clear everyone with a real name has plot immunity. This doesn't have to be Games of Thrones but in a fight to death someone should die already.
GoT hasn't really killed any key protagonists in a while, either.

Simstim
Mar 16, 2005

You just gave me a great idea buddy.
50/50 chance that Reiner comes back thinking he is Team Survey Corps not Team Titan Village because the lobotomy fucks with his memories

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Love how Bertholdt's like "that's right, another OP power."

Ready for an Armoured-Colossal-Ape Escape formation?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

"It's a good thing he could move his brain into his rear end" is so loving lame.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Monaghan posted:

"It's a good thing he could move his brain into his rear end" is so loving lame.

The idea that you could store the contents/functions of your brain in the rest of your nervous system is so hilariously dumb that I'm just choosing to overlook it and assume that humans in the world of AoT are not the same as real life humans.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah that's stupid but summoning a gigantic meat mecha out of thin air is fine

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Monaghan posted:

It's weird that this is such an incredibly specific corner for writers to end up in. Heroes did the exact same thing after beating it in over and over that hitting a specific point in the brain was the only way kill Sylar, and I think there's at least one other example.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!
Lmao at that mars attacks panel tho

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

The idea that you could store the contents/functions of your brain in the rest of your nervous system is so hilariously dumb that I'm just choosing to overlook it and assume that humans in the world of AoT are not the same as real life humans.

I thought the idea was that he stored his brain functions in the titan brain, which seems marginally less stupid.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

muike posted:

Yeah that's stupid but summoning a gigantic meat mecha out of thin air is fine

That's been established repeatedly as a thing in this world's mythos though, this other thing that they try to explain all straightfaced is stupid and dumb and has no basis on anything

Like, I get titan-shifting right at life-threatening moments as a defense mechanism, and I get Eren transforming via stress/self-harm, but this other thing comes off as a huge asspull you can't not laugh at it

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Simstim posted:

50/50 chance that Reiner comes back thinking he is Team Survey Corps not Team Titan Village because the lobotomy fucks with his memories
creative plot developments are illegal in attack on titan

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Monaghan posted:

It was marginally less dumb. He just backed up his human brain in the titan brain.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So titans apparently have fully functioning brains (new information?) But their heads regularly get blown off and they're fine. Presumably that's because of the human(?) brain in the nape of their neck acting as a backup.

Reiner just did it the other way around.

It makes as much sense as anything about titans, and makes for a more interesting scenario. Bert having to deal with protecting a nearly dead Reiner is more interesting than Reiner just being dead, the end, oh well.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I will be okay with Reiner survivng if and only if there's some sort of long term consequences for this. Like, his head is regenerating but his body is braindead and he's just stuck being the armored titan forever, sentient but unable to revert his consciousness to his real body. Or if he's back in Soldier Mode instead of Warrior mode like someone else said.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I will be okay with Reiner survivng if and only if there's some sort of long term consequences for this. Like, his head is regenerating but his body is braindead and he's just stuck being the armored titan forever, sentient but unable to revert his consciousness to his real body. Or if he's back in Soldier Mode instead of Warrior mode like someone else said.

That's basically what is implied to have happened when Bert looks at him. It's a last resort move that probably has big repercussions.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I agree. If he comes out of this shaken but completely fine it'll be pretty disappointing.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I agree. If he comes out of this shaken but completely fine it'll be pretty disappointing.

I feel like this is one scene were Reiner should actually die. He had somewhat of an arc, Eren has proven more than enough he can beat him, his death was hilarious, I don't really know where else his character could go since he doesn't really have any ties to others, and he's been sufficiently shown to be an irredeemable sack of poo poo that you want dead. This is it. This is the moment where he can truly pass the torch to Bertholdt. What else but his proud warrior buddy's death could send Berthold down the path of proper antagonist?

Hell, I'll forgive the author for giving us another stupid death fakeout with Hange if it turns out she was hiding from the blast below Reiner, and finishes him off while Berthold is busy fighting.

...I'm setting myself up for disappointment :v:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

T.G. Xarbala posted:

The explanation is edible memories.
How's that work when it takes place before he eats anyone?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I'm wondering if Bert gained his new focus and decisiveness because he has transferred Reiner's consciousness to himself. At some point he will have do transfer it back once Armored titan fully regnerates, but until then its a mindless :killdozer:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kyte posted:

It was marginally less dumb. He just backed up his human brain in the titan brain.

Ah, that actually makes some sense. I could have sworn I remember them mentioning something about storing brain contents in the non-brain nervous system of either the human or the titan though. I may just be completely misremembering that part.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
e: f;b X 100

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jackard posted:

How's that work when it takes place before he eats anyone?

omniscient future perfect cuisine

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

My favorite part of the first volume is the pages trying to scientifically explain how the 3D movement gear works. I like how he attempted to give a physical explaination why an army of spidermen are fighting furious george. Can't wait for the full explaination of how you back-up your brain in a titan, and flow your brain power throughout your body.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Sub Harrison posted:

My favorite part of the first volume is the pages trying to scientifically explain how the 3D movement gear works. I like how he attempted to give a physical explaination why an army of spidermen are fighting furious george. Can't wait for the full explaination of how you back-up your brain in a titan, and flow your brain power throughout your body.

Nanomachines, son.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Nah, it's not nanomachines

it's midichlorians

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Vocal cord parasites

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
All wrong. Based on the foreshadowing so far, It has to be the work of an enemy Stand

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

Torquemadras posted:

Kill Hange and Reiner, is what I'm saying.

You shut the hell up, right now! Actually I don't care about Reiner but Hanji is too good to die.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Sub Harrison posted:

It'll be a post commercial bumper with just "???????" over and over filling the entire screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Chapter 79 is out

Things are looking bad

Wiccan Wasteland fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 9, 2016