Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bootcha posted:

If I can do some math...

The development cost has been handled by pledgers, there are no companies or persons aside for some simple profit sharing agreements from current and ex employees to owe (which we'll assume final profits exceed final development cost). Assuming every cent is spent on development. We'll set the final tally of funds raised, which will be cited as the total development cost, at $120 million, because fuckit spergy whales are stupid.

Let's say, conservatively, SQ42 sells 300k units at $50.
$15 mil in revenue. All new units and sales.
And let's say that 60% of those sales will buy the next episode, or season pass as it may be marketed. Actually fuckit, 20% Season Pass, 30% new episode. $100 for the former and $40 for the latter.
$6 mil and ~$4mil.

So we have a total of $25 mil in revenue from SQ42 Launch.

Back when this was a $6.2 mil project, or even a $32 mil project, that's not a bad figure.

So we have $25 mil to spend over the course of, let's say 16 months of continued development to push SC out the door, accounting for roughly $1.2 mil monthly operating costs, $19.2 mil total. So profit has been cut down to $5.8 mil.
On top of this, let's assume the annual pledger amount also dips due to SQ42 release, sales and poo poo notwithstanding. $3 mil in 2017. However due to a product release this becomes profit. Back up to $8.8 mil.

Now, SC, as it stands it'll be $45 bucks a pop until release or something, but I suspect it will be a $60 retail. Conservatively, looking at customer bases the likes of Eve Online/E:D, let's say the new sales will be 200k units. At this point, NO OTHER PLEDGES.
$12 mil in revenue.
Note that there is no advertised "subscription" for the SC PU services. But for the sake of the VD Store or whatever it's called, they're able to gain about... $100k in monthly ship/skin/trinket/swag purchases.
Day/Month 1 in 2018 profit will total at about $20 mil give or take a million for the whole shebang so far.

However, Episode 2 of SC needs to be mocapped as well. The figure thrown around was $20 mil for the actors and the recording. Let's say that they simply can't do mocap the way CR did the first time, and the A-list stars can only do voice but knowing CR he'll still play with his mocap toys at Imagineerium, so let's cut the cost in half, $10 mil. So $10 mil in profit.

Let's surmise that operating costs will cut down with the launch of the SC PU, they'll still need server staff, CS, CMs/GMs, Foundry42, Santa Monica, and Frankfurt. Austin's turned into the basement ops with the GMs, CS, and server monkeys. So let's say CIG ops now cost... $800k per month.

From the launch of the Star Citizen PU, CIG needs to cover $9.6 mil in operations costs annually, plus $10 mil per each SQ42 episode. Let's round that out to $20 mil.

The VD Store will bring in $1.2 annually.
At $40 per episode, CIG will need to sell nearly half a million copies of SQ42 each year to keep up with development costs.

Let's say the manage to but only barely above the margin, only $5 mil in profit annually and a hell of a treadmill to keep pace with devops and production. But's let's be generous and say they manage to do this year after year.

2019: $15 mil total
2020: $20 mil total
2021: $25 mil total
etc
etc

IT WOULD TAKE 22 YEARS BREAK EVEN WITH THE FINAL PROJECTED DEVELOPMENT COST FOR THE ENTIRE PROJECT IF EVERYTHING GOES MARGINALLY FINE!

As any prospective investor, to quote CR himself...

This is bullshit.

You're giving this more thought than CR himself. Don't worry, Sandi is one of the best salesperson/kayaker in the world and she'll make it happen.

You're also not taking into account the cocaine costs, which are fairly high in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

:negative:

Crazy_BlackParrot fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 9, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

starkebn posted:

The reason no other game has done something like "grabby-hands" and just use an inventory screen instead is because "grabby-hands" is loving stupid and pointless and unfun after the second time you try and wrestle cargo into your ship.

If you bothered to watch Chris, you'd know that "Grabby hands" have actually been upgraded to "Wavy hands"

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

:eyepop:

even as this hell project plunges into the abyss the only thing the whales can think is "how can I throw more money at this?"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Bootcha posted:

If I can do some math...

The development cost has been handled by pledgers, there are no companies or persons aside for some simple profit sharing agreements from current and ex employees to owe (which we'll assume final profits exceed final development cost). Assuming every cent is spent on development. We'll set the final tally of funds raised, which will be cited as the total development cost, at $120 million, because fuckit spergy whales are stupid.

Let's say, conservatively, SQ42 sells 300k units at $50.
$15 mil in revenue. All new units and sales.
And let's say that 60% of those sales will buy the next episode, or season pass as it may be marketed. Actually fuckit, 20% Season Pass, 30% new episode. $100 for the former and $40 for the latter.
$6 mil and ~$4mil.

So we have a total of $25 mil in revenue from SQ42 Launch.

Back when this was a $6.2 mil project, or even a $32 mil project, that's not a bad figure.

So we have $25 mil to spend over the course of, let's say 16 months of continued development to push SC out the door, accounting for roughly $1.2 mil monthly operating costs, $19.2 mil total. So profit has been cut down to $5.8 mil.
On top of this, let's assume the annual pledger amount also dips due to SQ42 release, sales and poo poo notwithstanding. $3 mil in 2017. However due to a product release this becomes profit. Back up to $8.8 mil.

Now, SC, as it stands it'll be $45 bucks a pop until release or something, but I suspect it will be a $60 retail. Conservatively, looking at customer bases the likes of Eve Online/E:D, let's say the new sales will be 200k units. At this point, NO OTHER PLEDGES.
$12 mil in revenue.
Note that there is no advertised "subscription" for the SC PU services. But for the sake of the VD Store or whatever it's called, they're able to gain about... $100k in monthly ship/skin/trinket/swag purchases.
Day/Month 1 in 2018 profit will total at about $20 mil give or take a million for the whole shebang so far.

However, Episode 2 of SC needs to be mocapped as well. The figure thrown around was $20 mil for the actors and the recording. Let's say that they simply can't do mocap the way CR did the first time, and the A-list stars can only do voice but knowing CR he'll still play with his mocap toys at Imagineerium, so let's cut the cost in half, $10 mil. So $10 mil in profit.

Let's surmise that operating costs will cut down with the launch of the SC PU, they'll still need server staff, CS, CMs/GMs, Foundry42, Santa Monica, and Frankfurt. Austin's turned into the basement ops with the GMs, CS, and server monkeys. So let's say CIG ops now cost... $800k per month.

From the launch of the Star Citizen PU, CIG needs to cover $9.6 mil in operations costs annually, plus $10 mil per each SQ42 episode. Let's round that out to $20 mil.

The VD Store will bring in $1.2 annually.
At $40 per episode, CIG will need to sell nearly half a million copies of SQ42 each year to keep up with development costs.

Let's say the manage to but only barely above the margin, only $5 mil in profit annually and a hell of a treadmill to keep pace with devops and production. But's let's be generous and say they manage to do this year after year.

2019: $15 mil total
2020: $20 mil total
2021: $25 mil total
etc
etc

IT WOULD TAKE 22 YEARS BREAK EVEN WITH THE FINAL PROJECTED DEVELOPMENT COST FOR THE ENTIRE PROJECT IF EVERYTHING GOES MARGINALLY FINE!

As any prospective investor, to quote CR himself...

This is bullshit.

But you're thinking about this as if they have to make back the $120 mil. That $120 mil wasn't out of their pocket, they already break even. If you're using the pledge amount as development cost, wouldn't any earnings passed that basically be profit?

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 9, 2016

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Toops posted:

I'm not sure what to call the "Destruction Derby" Game mode, anybody got some good names? Right now I'm going with "Destructo-Derby Paaarp Arena" which is weak.

Basically, all weapons are deactivated, there is only ramming, and you can't leave the arena under pain of death. The object is to destroy your opponents. Last plebe standing wins.

Beyond kill points, you get points for the following:
- Ramming (there's Dinky, Boss, and SAVAGE ram levels)
- Ice Burns (where you flip around and blast enemies with your thruster exhaust)
- Paaarps (I'm not sure what a paaarp attack is yet, but it involves an airhorn. Maybe just a sonic blast radius on a long cooldown timer?)
- Fatalaties (ships have finishing moves)

Hearse Busters

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Take an unpopular peripheral that already looks like it's designed by a committee and improve it by having it redesigned by 700,000 idiots.

It's like monkeys & typewriters eventually creating the complete works of Shakespeare but this guy actually thinks it's a good business model.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Daztek posted:

I wonder how many manhours CIG spends trying to keep up with this thread

If my employer knew how many man hours I spend trying to keep up with this thread…

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

This is all the proof that I need to know backing Star Citizen is a bad financial decision.

How many employees does he think Mad Catz has? 1? 2?

Burno fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Feb 9, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Amazon just launched their own fork of CryEngine, with hookers and blackjack.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Khanstant posted:

Who the gently caress chose those names for the directions?

This was helpful but I'm still not a fan of name. "Yaw"? What the hell.

I have some simple rules to help you remember which is which no problem.

• You know how your lips move when you yawn? That's pitch!
  • You know what to do when you pitch a stupid idea, and people shout you down? You then roll with the punches from side to side! That's yaw.
  • You know how you want to punch Croberts right in the yaw, and how his vision then goes pitch black? You then roll him over to take some fun pics for the thread

Hope this helped you commando o9

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

Credit to the creator: BMan

:captainpop:
:circlefap:
:gizz:
Take my :homebrew:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

AP posted:

Anyone have a link to the time this happened?

It was around the 13 or 14 minute mark. The guy was talking about the ladder animations

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 9, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kakarot posted:

Hey /r/starcitizen! I think my videos were submitted to your lovely sub a few times and even reached your frontpage. In them, I was defending Star Citizen from unfair criticism, whilst not being a backer myself. I have now finally given in, and made another vid to explain to my viewers what convinced me in the end. With you I just want to share the script of said video so I don't bore you with my YT shenanigans, but if you are interested in the visual part, I'll link to the video at the end of the post.

Today, I want to talk about something that happened to me recently. An epiphany, so to say. As some of you know, I'm opposed to funding early-access games. I still find that whole concept silly and against the best interests of consumers. BUT, and that is quite the big BUT indeed, I was always fond of Chris Roberts' work, fond of spaceflight simulators, and fond of games that try to do something that others haven't tried before. Yet, in all my previous videos I proudly stated that I was not a backer, keeping true to my pro-consumer colours. This has changed. I have betrayed my principles. I have pledged 45 dollars to Star Citizen. And now, let me explain to you why I deem this betrayal of principles the best game purchase I have made in a long time.

My opposition against early-access games, as I elaborated in previous videos, is explained by two core statements: I'm not willing to pay a company for the quote-on-quote 'privilege' of being a beta-tester for their unfinished product and I don't see any incentive for early-access developers to actually finish their games, due to them being able to keep a game in early-access indefinitely, circumventing the consumer expectation of delivering a finished product whilst ALREADY demanding the full price for it. So in order to lure me into spending money on a product that is unfinished and may never come out, something extraordinary has to happen. After thinking about this a lot, I have come to the conclusion that Star Citizen as a whole is exactly that extraordinary thing.

First off, I have been craving for some proper innovation in gaming for a very long time. In a gaming world in which triple A publishers get praised by their corporate slaves for releasing the same drivel over and over, the only way to show them that Call of Duty kids are not the only demographic worth catering to is to vote with ones wallet. This usually means NOT buying a product you deem unworthy of your money. But it CAN also mean buying another product. So in order to cast my vote, I chose to spend money on a company that promises me a literal universe filled with content, a company that says to me: 'You can fly a spaceship! But you can also walk around in it, and float in space in your spacesuit! How about shooting other pilots in the face after you've spent the night drinking in a space bar?' Or in other words, a company that is trying to combine many features and playstyles that are usually seen in separate games, into one. The ambition to create a wholesome simulated universe is therefore my number one reason for betting my money on the Robert Space Industries horse, but this reason alone would have never convinced me to do so.

Hilariously, the other reason for pledging, the one that gave me a virtual push to finally take that leap of faith, were the critics of Star Citizen. Do you remember that Escapist article by Liz Finnegan in which ominous and anonymous sources claimed to be able to prove that Roberts and his wife were evil personified, and that their hiring practices were racist and sexist? Not only did we never hear of them again after RSI threatened to sue - or at least I haven't - but these allegations made me research the whole project deeper, delving into dev logs and speeches Chris Roberts gave, and made me watch a couple of the countless videos that the developers produce on a regular basis in which they explain what they are up to right now and how the progress is going. And guess what? The buggers are transparent as gently caress! Never before have I seen the development of a game so well documented, never before have I seen the devs showcasing their work on such a regular basis. I would not have done that research without all the voices on the internet trying to cut down the tall poppy, as they say here in Australia. And that is what much of the criticism of Star Citizen is: trying to drag an ambitious team down into the mud that said critics are used to swim in.

Of course there is valid criticism, and there are valid concerns too, but when most of the criticism boils down to 'Vapourware LOL' or 'cash grab scam ROFL' in spite of the obvious progress being made, and in spite of the current playable version of Star Citizen, then a person like me ALSO gets the urge to support that game just to spite those who want to obviously continue to live with a gaming industry in which creativity gets punished, and ambition gets called a pipe-dream. Yes, you heard that right. One of the reasons to pledge for me was to prove those who willingly fellate the megalomaniac corporate publisher blobs wrong. To be part of what may very well be the second coming of PC gaming. Or its biggest failure. But hey, even if Star Citizen fails, at least they loving tried.

So here I am, a newly pledged Star Citizen, and proud of it. In the end, it all boils down to to the concept that if I want the game industry to change, I figured that voicing my criticism and NOT buying games I abhor isn't enough. I decided to put my money where my mouth is. Now, please, for the love of the flying spaghetti monster, don't prove me wrong, Star Citizen.

Link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCiE80VNHmY

I can't tell if this is serious or if it's a joke.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

AP posted:

Anyone have a link to the time this happened?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvlnG45Kois&t=821s

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I recently got into a discussion with a backer and asked "Do you think it is normal to stop development on a major feature 2 weeks before release (I was referencing Star Marine)?".

The answer was prompt and simple: "Yeah sure." I asked how he knows that, and he tells me that he is a developer for the game ARK.

So yeah, shifting focus to other parts of a project, even if you are a week away from releasing a really big feature is normal in game development.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

ARK is one of those early access survival crafting games that will never get released.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
So madcatz/saitek is going down the gurgler financially.

:rip: incredibly ugly SC branded HOTAS :v:

Derek have you approached Logitech about getting some LoD branded peripherals?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Sandweed posted:

ARK is one of those early access survival crafting games that will never get released.

It is also one that is supposed to be super fun. Super fun vs the fourth stimpire.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Yep. This cannot go unnoticed.
For a direct link go here.

Amazon Lumberyard is a free AAA game engine deeply integrated
with AWS and Twitch – with full source.

See, I'm betting a few enterprising folks can make a better SC clone with this than CIG have already done.
I'm going to look forward to seeing that in a couple of months.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Incombibulator posted:

See, I'm betting a few enterprising folks can make a better SC clone with this than CIG have already done.

But does it have 64-bit positioning? :smug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Berious posted:

I wish I could still stomach playing EVE. Nothing else was quite like it.

:same:

The best game and the worst game at the same time.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I was going to laugh if it had a means of delta patching, but it appears to be using the standard CryEgine pak files and stuff.

ether
May 20, 2001

Sandweed posted:

Mad Catz always attach themselves to the wrong games, they also had a Titanfall series of mouse and keyboards.

They also produce the most unconformable mouse in the world.

It might look like poo poo but it is easily the best/most comfortable mouse I've had (most mice really suck for large hands) and it's built like a truck.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Toops posted:

Yeah this one really kills me. I've had to deal with chaos and change in every field of software engineering I've worked in. Games is no different.

The only real difference between game development and all other software dev is that games are entertainment, and the entertainment business is run by loving con men and hooligans. A career in games mainly appeals to these stunted, teenage, punk rock "gently caress rules" personalities. This is normal for code jockeys like me. But when this attitude persists all the way to senior management, you get clowns like Chris Roberts, with the mind of a spoiled 11-year-old rich kid, in charge of hundreds of millions of dollars. He doesn't like deadlines for the same reason kids don't like vegetables: He's not mature enough to know they're good for him.

That was me, exactly, in the late eighties. While at university, I went from dodgy back yard software skunkworks "resident", to garage-operation lone coder, to an actual paid position at a dodgy French game developer/publisher. That gig paid so little I couldn't afford the rent and food bills simultaneously... but still spouting "I'm never working 9 to 5 in a boring proper office", "I'm gunna be rich MY way, pay off the old folks' mortgage and drive a sports car", and all that crap.

Five glorious years of Amiga game development. Fun part of my life. Everything about that industry was great. Except the industry. Broken by shonky operators, incompetent project planning (can't bring myself to call what they did "project management") and breathtakingly shameless abuse of coders' work ethics and drive to complete.

It was about the time I had to choose between enjoying Paris on an empty stomach OR enjoying Paris without a roof over my head that I woke the hell up and got the gently caress out of games.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

quote:

"That's how I had an interest in how to program, so I could figure out how to animate imagery."

Very telling about Chris and StarCitizen.

StarCitizen - animated imagery

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Everytime someone pastes a Lesnik forum post, i cant help but look at his av and then at what he actually looks like.
How did the man in the av become the man in the videos?

What horrifies me more, does he ask himself the same question?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can we have these guys instead of Ben and Sandi? They won't produce any finalized game content anyway.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

ether posted:

It might look like poo poo but it is easily the best/most comfortable mouse I've had (most mice really suck for large hands) and it's built like a truck.

agreed, I had a RAT 7 a while back and it was just really pleasant to use from a comfort standpoint

but the laser kept loving up so i replaced it

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Incombibulator posted:

It is painfully obvious that you nothing about parody-game-development.
Frankly, whatever outdated engine Star Plebian runs on was the wrong choice for what Toops dreamed up, but it is a fact that Lumberyard was simply not availabe at the start of development two weeks ago. Changing engine this far into pre-parp-alpha development now would mean throwing all the assets away and starting from scratch.

Nice try with the reverse psychology attempt, but an idiot can see this is just your twisted and manipulative way of shilling SC and that you are just an alt of Croberts.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

For Star Plebean i present

The Parp-prodder recumbent ramship

Comes with everything the Gun'dul needs - a comfortable recumbent seat with Mountain Dew dispenser and cheeto tray
view-blocking panels to increase fidelity
a server-crashing number of control surfaces, vital for immersion in space combat
dicky fragile design so the jpg will break easily and need to be replaced

no insurance

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

Stop making me regret my past mistakes that preclude me having a credit card so I can join in the fun. Well, I suppose I can install a C64 emulator and play the ORIGINAL Elite... :sigh:

You don't even have to: The Frontier-online shop has the original Elite for free. You can buy it for zero bucks and play right now!

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

SelenicMartian posted:

Can we have these guys instead of Ben and Sandi? They won't produce any finalized game content anyway.

He's like Jeremy renners dopier older brother.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

They didn't properly read that part of the annual report.

1. The column of figures he's quoting there was Year Ended March 2011, not 2015.

2. All figures were in thousands of US dollars.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Opinion: Crabby hands

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ag Bengip posted:

Opinion: Crabby hands

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Gilganixon posted:

dicky fragile design ...

I like the Stimpire angle with the shark biting down on the guys head and doubling it's clench every 2 seconds, but I am not sure whether a pilot stroking his dick reflects positively on goons as a player base?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Gilganixon posted:

For Star Plebean i present

The Parp-prodder recumbent ramship

Comes with everything the Gun'dul needs - a comfortable recumbent seat with Mountain Dew dispenser and cheeto tray
view-blocking panels to increase fidelity
a server-crashing number of control surfaces, vital for immersion in space combat
dicky fragile design so the jpg will break easily and need to be replaced

no insurance

Wow, you're very talented, I like the bicycle pedal action :five:

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hopper posted:

I like the Stimpire angle with the shark biting down on the guys head and doubling it's clench every 2 seconds, but I am not sure whether a pilot stroking his dick reflects positively on goons as a player base?

it's a mouse, there's nowhere else to put it in that cramped cockpit! that's fidelity for ya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/44ug6u/psa_how_to_reenter_your_origin_ship_after_eva/

I'm so immersed

• Locked thread