Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.

General Emergency posted:

If you like the theme check out Renowned Explorers if you haven't yet. It's great.

I bought this for my girlfriend during the holiday sale and I've watched her play through it a few times. It does look great, but for some reason seeing her play it for a few weeks has made me lose most of my desire to play it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The hype towerclimb is...warranted, to say the least. I find the keyboard controls fine actually, though item throwing is awkward. Granted, I still cannot get to chapter 2. I just died at floor 19. :rip:

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I've been playing Towerclimb the last few weeks on and off and I have yet to reach anywhere near the top as well. I mapped the controls to a controller and the game feels a bit better but still a little awkward for holding/storing/selecting items. Great game though, I have never felt like any of my deaths were BS, it's always something I've done wrong.

I've also been playing Nuclear Throne and haven't gotten to the throne yet. I should probably pick one of these games and stick with it until I make some actual progress instead of continuing my roguelike ADD.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Roguelike dev chat:

How do Roguelike developers typically test difficulty, specifically in the case of catering to a variety of player skill levels ("causal" RL players vs. the hardened old guard)? I'm thinking specifically of games that use a RNG as part of the challenge in the vein of Nethack/DCSS/Caves of Qud.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's ancient history now and they may have relented but there's a hilarious quote where one of the Crawl devs said that a 50% win rate for the best players in the community would be too high, which pretty much sums up everything wrong with Crawl in a sentence.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I may be an idiot scrub but as I think of most roguelikes as heavily skill based games an expert player should be able to win almost every time.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Whether or not a developer wants a <50% or 100% win rate for elite players, there is probably some testing done beyond correlation of time played/win rate to ensure that rate. I'm curious what the testing looks like. Do you build basic bots and track strategies for success? Traditional beta-style player feedback like Cogmind?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

tokenbrownguy posted:

Whether or not a developer wants a <50% or 100% win rate for elite players, there is probably some testing done beyond correlation of time played/win rate to ensure that rate. I'm curious what the testing looks like. Do you build basic bots and track strategies for success? Traditional beta-style player feedback like Cogmind?

I'm pretty they just play the game when it's early in development, eventually when it's beta or beyond they use player feedback.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I'm pretty they just play the game when it's early in development, eventually when it's beta or beyond they use player feedback.

Yeah, basically this. I mean, there's some tricks you can use to help you balance your RPG, by having target values for "how hard is this monster to kill", "how much damage can this monster do", "what quality of loot should it drop", etc. but those will only ever get you into the ballpark, and the rest is just iterative refinement.

If your roguelike is simple enough that you can write a bot to help you balance it, then it's probably not very interesting to play.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

tokenbrownguy posted:

There's a huge difference between balancing a game once it's out and you have a crowd of people playing it and beforehand

ones that are out the devs can follow successful strategies directly (ascension records on NAO, oook.cz ladder for *bands, streak recordings for BoI, etc) but before you've got that mass of skilled players it is really hard to tell what skilled play is even going to look like, not just with roguelikes but really with games in general

there's a lot of learning from the mistakes of games past in roguelikes to at least get vaguely in the realm of balance before you start, it's such a weird niche these days i can't imagine a roguelike developer ityool 2016 who didn't start specifically because they were big fans of what came before with a lot of lessons they can pull from those

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

A lot of games have pretty poo poo difficulty anyway, either in terms of missing the mark badly (way too easy, way too hard), having really awful artificial difficulty settings (Impossible mode = 2x hp and damage!!!), or in terms of awful community response (well, the guys on our forum say its too easy, so lets crank this badboy to 11, nevermind they're literally part of the 1% of players).

Few games do difficulty levels well, DMC and Platinum action games are usually pretty rad because higher difficulty adds new mechanics and challenges to fights, which is really nice - you can up the difficulty as your own mastery improves, and the game pushes back harder to give you a new challenge.

I don't think roguelikes are well suited for that approach, for a lot of reasons - heavily (or even partly) randomized content is a bitch and a half to hit the right mark with, because testing for specific cases becomes extremely time consuming, but that one case that someone runs into and wipes their dude in one turn is a really super feel bad situation.

Really a lot of it just comes down to raw iteration - something many (most?) devs don't have the luxury of, simply due to time/budgetary restraints.

I suppose in that regard, some roguelikes that are developed by one guy (or a small team) over the course of years as a fan project are actually slightly better off than commercial games, just because they can continue to refine the product based on feedback and real playtesting.

It's not unusual for a dev to be worse at the game than their players, and it's normal for players to have 234892348x more hours logged in a game than the devs, so good logging of player data can provide a mountain of useful objective feedback, vs. the narrow and skewed responses you get from subjective forum posts that already only make up a tiny % of your userbase (I suppose in the case of some super niche roguelikes, that's probably less true than a more popular widely spread game). Although neither is perfect - objective data can be misinterpreted just as easily as subjective anecdotes can be biased or outright false.

Commercial expansion packs/dlc are often the 'fix all the obvious-to-players broken poo poo' releases, since they can be financially justified, but the lag time between launch->feedback->actual implementation of fixes is immense.

I kinda like Twitch and youtube streams/videos of people playing a game. Even though that's still going to represent another skewed slice of your userbase, it can be refreshing to see someone who is not a diehard player go at a game, and see what they really struggle with. Or you can watch a real vet just take a game apart piece by piece.

On a personal level, it drives me up the loving wall when devs push out a new game in an existing genre and either willfully or unintentionally ignore good lessons from past games - but not every dev or dev team will have played every game in genre X, and their motivation for creating the product the way they did in the first place (after accounting for all the usual technical/time/design compromises any game goes through) may be wildly different than what you get out of the game or the genre.

(games are occasionally hard, gamedev is always hard :v:)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's ancient history now and they may have relented but there's a hilarious quote where one of the Crawl devs said that a 50% win rate for the best players in the community would be too high, which pretty much sums up everything wrong with Crawl in a sentence.

There is at least one player who won 27 games in a row. In general, the best players are able to get into the double-digits of sequential wins, though mostly they spend their time working on high scores instead. The 50% winrate thing sounds familiar, but I think it may have been a joke :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"Players must never win my game" has a fine established tradition in roguelike development; it was the attitude of the original Moria developer. The "Evil Iggy" monster in that game was created to enshrine a character who won the game immediately after the dev declared it unwinnable.

It's still a dumb philosophy though.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PleasingFungus posted:

There is at least one player who won 27 games in a row. In general, the best players are able to get into the double-digits of sequential wins, though mostly they spend their time working on high scores instead. The 50% winrate thing sounds familiar, but I think it may have been a joke :)

Yeah given how good players can break dcss over their knee I'm not sure that quote holds up.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I would be sad if no roguelikes that consider winning to be a glitch were ever made again but it should definitely be a rare exception.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Clever Spambot posted:

I would be sad if no roguelikes that consider winning to be a glitch were ever made again but it should definitely be a rare exception.

Sil jokes around that killing Morgoth is a "glitch" - the normal way to beat the game is just to free a silmaril from his crown and escape with it.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
People complain that Crawl can't be reliably won every time and that you can win every Nethack game if you know what you're doing so you're hosed from both ends basically.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

packetmantis posted:

People complain that Crawl can't be reliably won every time and that you can win every Nethack game if you know what you're doing so you're hosed from both ends basically.

The Nethack thing was probably more applicable with the unnerfed Elbereth. No clue if that still holds up with the recent release.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 9, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
IVAN is a fine example of a game that transparently doesn't want the player to win, but is fun anyway because the player knows it hates them and there's a ton of goofy poo poo to play with before you die. Unless you want to do some of the same things - the cheerful, obvious malice, the tongue-in-cheek "lol naked peasant sent into a death cave by the Frog Church" type storyline - you should certainly be trying to design your game such that a very skilled and knowledgeable player has the ability to consistently win it. How hard it is for them to do that is up to you, though.

And that said, there are people who can semi-consistently win IVAN anyway. Anyone who specifically wants their game to be unwinnable, or potentially unwinnable, despite having a clear goal and victory condition is kind of a weird rear end in a top hat imo.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 9, 2016

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Are there any procedurally generated sci-fi games around nowadays like Gearhead 2? That game was the poo poo back when it was being developed. Then the developer just up and disappeared one day. It looks like the website finally went offline a year or two back too so good luck finding an up to date copy of it too.

The mech combat was hilarious too. I once used the mechanic I was playing to make a mech that was gently caress all useless on the ground and in the space colonies due to gravity but was basically a glorified thirty story tall mechanized death machine jousting machine in space. I'd just ramp the boosters on the thing and decapitate/one shot anything that got near me as the entire enemy force panicked and blew the hell out of where ever they thought I would be.

The fact that it had randomly generated storylines, out of mech combat with your pilot (I once made a kung fu dude who ended up being the equivalent of something straight out of an anime by the end of his story. I straight up annihilated the giant robot my rival was piloting with my kung fu fists of steel. :black101:), other vehicles you could pilot like fighters and tanks, and a ton of at times Dwarf Fortress tier levels of complex fluff content made it pretty awesome for its day.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Feb 9, 2016

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
It's not exactly the same, but Cogmind is what you're looking for. Don't let the fact that it's in alpha scare you away- if you want to build a death machine out of the remains of your enemies, this is the game to play.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Actually, GearHead and such is kind of back alive again as of some days back, so hope springs anew.

http://www.gearheadrpg.com/

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"Players must never win my game" has a fine established tradition in roguelike development; it was the attitude of the original Moria developer. The "Evil Iggy" monster in that game was created to enshrine a character who won the game immediately after the dev declared it unwinnable.

It's still a dumb philosophy though.

Didn't the FTL guys say that players were only 'supposed' to win something like thirty percent of the time?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Actually, GearHead and such is kind of back alive again as of some days back, so hope springs anew.

http://www.gearheadrpg.com/

gently caress yes. :stare:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Archonex posted:

gently caress yes. :stare:

Looks like yet another reboot attempt that's gonna die in 6 months like all the others.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

Looks like yet another reboot attempt that's gonna die in 6 months like all the others.

He just needs to put starship and capital ship combat into gearhead 2 and it'll be pretty much perfect. I remember he was suggesting that way back years ago before he went inactive.

Also maybe add more stuff to do with the factions fluff and content wise. They're pretty much a pain in the rear end if you're not geared up already.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Archonex posted:

He just needs to put starship and capital ship combat into gearhead 2 and it'll be pretty much perfect. I remember he was suggesting that way back years ago before he went inactive.

Also maybe add more stuff to do with the factions fluff and content wise. They're pretty much a pain in the rear end if you're not geared up already.

GH2 is dead, he's calling the latest GH spinoff half started a couple years ago GH3 now.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Gearhead needs the Cataclysm treatment. It's quirky and wanted enough you'd think fans would pick it up and run with it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

GH2 is dead, he's calling the latest GH spinoff half started a couple years ago GH3 now.

That's a drat shame. GH2 is legitimately an isometric roguelike sci-fi Skyrim with mechs, ground combat, batshit insane anime, a ridiculous ton of fluff content, and a fully procedural storyline that changes from the start each time you play.

Also, despite the anime it riffs off of it has a ton of insanely neat stuff in it. Like being able to record stuff in your PDA/laptop/cybernetic brain (Because you can literally put software on a personal computer inside the game on the computer you're playing on. :psyduck:), become a roboticist and make a ton of neat utility robots and killbots, (and from what I vaguely recall) become a literal loving rock star, and just about anything else you can imagine. It's also batshit insane in that every game's story is pretty much 100% different from the very moment you make a new character.

In contrast to my last post I remember at one point I made a punk rockstar mercenary that ended up rolling around in a mech that basically spammed missiles and what I think were some sort of sonic weapons. Think a massive war machine that pretty much just traveled from colony to colony dispensing anarchistic justice with two super powered boom boxes/missile launchers on it's shoulders.

Somehow I ended up hooking up with some sort of royalty (Probably a princess, since Gearhead 1 had them. There's even a post on the webpage about her joining a test character and betraying him.) or elite from one of the factions and ended up pissing off an entire faction. We ended up going out Bonny and Clyde style after we were both shot down and crashed into a mountain side in our jets. Which were the fallback I had built in case Boombot got nuked to hell.

It's a legitimately great game that just needs the content that's there to be filled out. Some of the features are either so obtuse to figure out that they appear lacking or they actually are.

On the other hand, it looks like Gearhead 1 received a graphical update to make it sort of on par with Gearhead 2 visually. And it has procedural content too. So maybe it's more fleshed out now.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Gearhead needs the Cataclysm treatment. It's quirky and wanted enough you'd think fans would pick it up and run with it.

According to the github the source code for the games were released. Assuming he hasn't done something to make it uneditable that could actually be a thing if there were people actually interested in it.

I'm trying to figure out how to compile the thing with the given instructions at the moment since i've never worked with Pascal before. Never mind trying to track down all the libraries and DLL's it apparently needs.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 9, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Archonex posted:

According to the github the source code for the games were released. Assuming he hasn't done something to make it uneditable that could actually be a thing if there were people actually interested in it.

I'm trying to figure out how to compile the thing with the given instructions at the moment since i've never worked with Pascal before. Never mind trying to track down all the libraries and DLL's it apparently needs.

One of the many aborted spinoffs over the years was a Python conversion, which would probably be easier to work with if it wasn't dead.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I just saw an old college buddy playing ADOM on steam. What's up with that? I thought it was all ascii like nethack?
I've only really liked, played nethack. Slash'em seems like someone thought nethack didn't have enough things that could gently caress up your day and tried to fix it, and ADOM seemed like it was too busy and had too much going on, like any time I tried to find out what to do it was like okay go in this cave but only to level whatever, then go here, then go do that quest, grind off random encounters in the wild, etc, etc, but now that my eyes are old and hate ascii and it has graphics, what's ADOM actually like?

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Feb 9, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Krinkle posted:

I just saw an old college buddy playing ADOM on steam. What's up with that? I thought it was all ascii like nethack?
I've only really liked, played nethack. Slash'em seems like someone thought nethack didn't have enough things that could gently caress up your day and tried to fix it, and ADOM seemed like it was too busy and had too much going on, like any time I tried to find out what to do it was like okay go in this cave but only to level whatever, then go here, then go do that quest, grind off random encounters in the wild, etc, etc, but now that my eyes are old and hate ascii and it has graphics, what's ADOM actually like?

ADOM is an rear end in a top hat Sierra adventure game disguised as a roguelike.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
In ADOM you can make a few mistakes and continue to play for 10 unaware hours before you die due to those mistakes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Floodkiller posted:

ADOM is an rear end in a top hat Sierra adventure game disguised as a roguelike.

Mzbundifund posted:

In ADOM you can make a few mistakes and continue to play for 10 unaware hours before you die due to those mistakes.
Yep. I tried ADOM for about a week before I gave up on it, and that was at the height of my free time and dedication.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Ive never heard of gearhead i want to play it now. How old is it

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Isaac posted:

Ive never heard of gearhead i want to play it now. How old is it

The last GH2 release was in 2010. GH1 ended a couple years before that.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

[sagely] ADOM is good.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

So what has changed with the latest ADOM versions?

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
You can pick your starsign now. Which after wanting to be able to do so for years, now just paralyzes me with "do I want to play this class or that class" now that I won't get something that's clearly good for wizards and just pick wizard.

If you haven't played since the pre-kickstarter days, it fixes all the horrible bugs, has a lot of reward tweaks, adds Ratling and Mist Elf races and Chaos Knight and Duelist classes. All the ways to cheese the game hard were removed. (Can't transform 10 rings of stunning into 10 rings of djinni summoning, can't sacrifice 200 stomafillas for an easy precrowning, that sort of thing.) Lots of quest reward rebalancing, a new Ice Queen's Domain area, a few extra generic random dungeons scattered across the world map. (Which help immensely for preventing that mid game fatigue where you can run out of places to go before giving up on saving Khelly or getting fire immunity for the tower.)

Also tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

This will come as a surprise, but I only played Cogmind about five times during the two years it was in pre-alpha development, all sessions of which were towards the last few months before release. Instead I relied on models and spreadsheets to balance the game. (Example of what I'm talking about.) This is of course no perfect substitute for getting the final "feel" of the game right through further tweaking, but it allows for an excellent starting point, and saves a lot of playtesting time. It also can't as easily take into account special abilities and abstract things like tactics, but I do that part in my head and with lists :aaaaa:

tokenbrownguy posted:

I only use bots to find bugs (which is why Cogmind is mostly bug free). Bots going beyond that into actual "play well" territory is a ridiculous amount of work for a decently deep roguelike.

Angry Diplomat posted:

IVAN is a fine example of a game that transparently doesn't want the player to win, but is fun anyway
It might not be quite so transparent about it, but the developer of TGGW has said the same thing about his game--you're probably going to die on most runs, but once you're good you can get far pretty reliably.

He says he wants the game to frequently reflect the reality of being in helpless situations (and sometimes there are ways out of them if you get creative, but often you're just screwed).