Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

AP posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aokaaWeRjc&t=592s

So many funny things in these old videos, Jason Spangler who at the time was Chief Technical Officer at CIG, Wingman asks if he's managed to visit Moon Collider in the UK, which presumably would have been useful for the game.

CIG did send someone else instead though.
Stuff like this makes me appreciate how much Sandi has grown. Her early days were fumbling but she's got the breezy awkwardness of an old pro now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

I recently got into a discussion with a backer and asked "Do you think it is normal to stop development on a major feature 2 weeks before release (I was referencing Star Marine)?".

The answer was prompt and simple: "Yeah sure." I asked how he knows that, and he tells me that he is a developer for the game ARK.

So yeah, shifting focus to other parts of a project, even if you are a week away from releasing a really big feature is normal in game development.

That makes a lot of sense, actually. I've been trying to get into ARK but holy poo poo I've never seen such a poorly optimized game. It really feels like that step of development is complicated and unfun for the developers and will be the last thing addressed, if ever. Is ARK a crysis mod, too? It looks good with everything up but good luck getting a tolerable frame rate.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gilganixon posted:

Another quick bit of concept art for Star Plebean:

A new alien race called the Chilldankli (because they like to chill and they do it dankly, it's genius)

They like to help crashed pilots so long as they're cool, but if anyone doesn't want to party or calls the cops they can get pretty rude

They fly around in a growhouse class frigate

don't steal any of this poo poo

dude I want to play a game with the Chilldankli

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that is my favorite alien concept for anything ever

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Madcosby posted:

Also, for all of you working on Solar Plebian or any of its modules

be sure to show videos of your game, and you can use any footage you want just add "100% IN ENGINE" and then never deliver

that's game development

Boring geeky update. Yesterday I added an Asynchronous Producer/Subscriber Message Bus, so any GameObject can send (produce) local data to be consumed by an arbitrary number of other game objects (subscribers). The benefit is, these messages are processed outside the frame Update() loop (hence async), so larger or slower messages/processing doesn't have to block frame rendering. In the future, this same message bus can be used to produce and consume network messages. Thinkin' ahead y'all.

The vertical slice was using this to send flight physics data to a simple UI that displays debug data.

Of note: I'm not sure how to update folks about progress. I'm still just mainly prototyping stuff, and I have no real idea how far this project is going to go beyond a simple but hilarious single-player deathmatch arena. The thing to remember, is this game is a meta-game about game design. But it definitely has to be both fun and funny. So bear with me as we discover what this thing will actually be, and more importantly, what it should not try to become.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Uh, think I wrote it right? "CIGbux are pegged to USD at 1000:1"

That would be me mocking people that blindly throw money at CIG, old chum?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Toops, where are the birds?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I will be happy to help with this.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cCUjLWVeVFGRjEbzt_gBdjpSdhaTpR8Hqp6fAZ0nWs0/edit?usp=sharing

Here's what I've got so far. Anything further to build the case, especially their constant shifting of the terms of refunds would be very helpful.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

what it should not try to become.

Well I think that last part should be pretty obvious.

Looking great so far, even if my eyes glazed over during all that technical stuff!

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Boring geeky update. Yesterday I added an Asynchronous Producer/Subscriber Message Bus, so any GameObject can send (produce) local data to be consumed by an arbitrary number of other game objects (subscribers). The benefit is, these messages are processed outside the frame Update() loop (hence async), so larger or slower messages/processing doesn't have to block frame rendering. In the future, this same message bus can be used to produce and consume network messages. Thinkin' ahead y'all.

The vertical slice was using this to send flight physics data to a simple UI that displays debug data.

Of note: I'm not sure how to update folks about progress. I'm still just mainly prototyping stuff, and I have no real idea how far this project is going to go beyond a simple but hilarious single-player deathmatch arena. The thing to remember, is this game is a meta-game about game design. But it definitely has to be both fun and funny. So bear with me as we discover what this thing will actually be, and more importantly, what it should not try to become.

I didn't spend less than an hourdays making dumb images and songs for you to not release the BDPSE!!!!

Also I made you a UI notification

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Samizdata posted:

That would be me mocking people that blindly throw money at CIG, old chum?

Well fun's all well and good but I think all agree we have to work hard to keep disinformation out of the SC thread

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

And the VerseBusters saga continues :allears:

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Is ARK a crysis mod, too? It looks good with everything up but good luck getting a tolerable frame rate.

UE4, I believe.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Sarsapariller posted:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cCUjLWVeVFGRjEbzt_gBdjpSdhaTpR8Hqp6fAZ0nWs0/edit?usp=sharing

Here's what I've got so far. Anything further to build the case, especially their constant shifting of the terms of refunds would be very helpful.

Oh wow, you had an Armada Pack. drat, thought I was screwed with my ~$700 account, hope you get this sorted out.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Gilganixon posted:

A new alien race called the Chilldankli (because they like to chill and they do it dankly, it's genius)

They like to help crashed pilots so long as they're cool, but if anyone doesn't want to party or calls the cops they can get pretty rude

Dying for space bush's space oil profits

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Toops posted:

Add an r2d2 style parrot as co pilot making beep boop bird noises

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

fuctifino posted:

Toops, where are the birds?

And the scarves. Don't forget the scarves.

Never mind; owned. There will never be a space scarf to top that one.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Iglocska posted:

Oh wow, you had an Armada Pack. drat, thought I was screwed with my ~$700 account, hope you get this sorted out.

Paid for by earlier grey market sales so ultimately it's no skin off my nose, but I would like the money back.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Gilganixon posted:

I want to meet the Chilldankli

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Bootcha posted:

If I can do some math...

The development cost has been handled by pledgers, there are no companies or persons aside for some simple profit sharing agreements from current and ex employees to owe (which we'll assume final profits exceed final development cost). Assuming every cent is spent on development. We'll set the final tally of funds raised, which will be cited as the total development cost, at $120 million, because fuckit spergy whales are stupid.

Let's say, conservatively, SQ42 sells 300k units at $50.
$15 mil in revenue. All new units and sales.
And let's say that 60% of those sales will buy the next episode, or season pass as it may be marketed. Actually fuckit, 20% Season Pass, 30% new episode. $100 for the former and $40 for the latter.
$6 mil and ~$4mil.

So we have a total of $25 mil in revenue from SQ42 Launch.

Back when this was a $6.2 mil project, or even a $32 mil project, that's not a bad figure.

So we have $25 mil to spend over the course of, let's say 16 months of continued development to push SC out the door, accounting for roughly $1.2 mil monthly operating costs, $19.2 mil total. So profit has been cut down to $5.8 mil.
On top of this, let's assume the annual pledger amount also dips due to SQ42 release, sales and poo poo notwithstanding. $3 mil in 2017. However due to a product release this becomes profit. Back up to $8.8 mil.

Now, SC, as it stands it'll be $45 bucks a pop until release or something, but I suspect it will be a $60 retail. Conservatively, looking at customer bases the likes of Eve Online/E:D, let's say the new sales will be 200k units. At this point, NO OTHER PLEDGES.
$12 mil in revenue.
Note that there is no advertised "subscription" for the SC PU services. But for the sake of the VD Store or whatever it's called, they're able to gain about... $100k in monthly ship/skin/trinket/swag purchases.
Day/Month 1 in 2018 profit will total at about $20 mil give or take a million for the whole shebang so far.

However, Episode 2 of SC needs to be mocapped as well. The figure thrown around was $20 mil for the actors and the recording. Let's say that they simply can't do mocap the way CR did the first time, and the A-list stars can only do voice but knowing CR he'll still play with his mocap toys at Imagineerium, so let's cut the cost in half, $10 mil. So $10 mil in profit.

Let's surmise that operating costs will cut down with the launch of the SC PU, they'll still need server staff, CS, CMs/GMs, Foundry42, Santa Monica, and Frankfurt. Austin's turned into the basement ops with the GMs, CS, and server monkeys. So let's say CIG ops now cost... $800k per month.

From the launch of the Star Citizen PU, CIG needs to cover $9.6 mil in operations costs annually, plus $10 mil per each SQ42 episode. Let's round that out to $20 mil.

The VD Store will bring in $1.2 annually.
At $40 per episode, CIG will need to sell nearly half a million copies of SQ42 each year to keep up with development costs.

Let's say the manage to but only barely above the margin, only $5 mil in profit annually and a hell of a treadmill to keep pace with devops and production. But's let's be generous and say they manage to do this year after year.

2019: $15 mil total
2020: $20 mil total
2021: $25 mil total
etc
etc

IT WOULD TAKE 22 YEARS BREAK EVEN WITH THE FINAL PROJECTED DEVELOPMENT COST FOR THE ENTIRE PROJECT IF EVERYTHING GOES MARGINALLY FINE!

As any prospective investor, to quote CR himself...

This is bullshit.

Clearly you don't understand game development OR investing. SC will make a MINIMUM of 20,000,000 sales in the next 10 years. It will all happen at 2 million sales a year for JUST the game. Imagine all those ship sales next. Each person will buy 10k worth of ships with real money.

Imagine. d r e a m s...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Daztek posted:

And the VerseBusters saga continues :allears:

It's a genuine feeding frenzy over there right now.

They know they need to crank out something around 2/15 to placate the masses.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There is a recent Disco Lando interview from PAX that I don't think has been posted in this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA23x4C793c&t=2923s

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/317674/are-we-really-in-alpha

I would post screenshots but nearly every response is hilarious

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

grimcreaper posted:

Clearly you don't understand game development OR investing. SC will make a MINIMUM of 20,000,000 sales in the next 10 years. It will all happen at 2 million sales a year for JUST the game. Imagine all those ship sales next. Each person will buy 10k worth of ships with real money.

Imagine. d r e a m s...

The median household income is 51k, so its completely reasonable to spend 10k of it on the most important computer project in history :3: Really, they probably should be giving even more.

"!DISCLAIMER!
MODS I AM NOT CALLING ANYONE A WHITEKNIGHT OR FANBOY BUT QUOTING THE WORDS OTHER PEOPLE USE ON THESE FORUMS SO PLEASE DONT BAN ME FOR IT AGAIN"

:allears: Amazing

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
So if 2.0 is pre-alpha. What is alpha then? 3.0? And they are on.. 2.1? Lol.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

Are you sure you meant November 28, 2015 when you made the purchase? Because that will really gently caress over your argument if true.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

LowellDND posted:

"!DISCLAIMER!
MODS I AM NOT CALLING ANYONE A WHITEKNIGHT OR FANBOY BUT QUOTING THE WORDS OTHER PEOPLE USE ON THESE FORUMS SO PLEASE DONT BAN ME FOR IT AGAIN"

:allears: Amazing

If you need to preface your posts like this, it might be time to take a break from the internet community you hang out with. But what do I know about game development/crowdfunding/youtube/breathing?

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are you sure you meant November 28, 2015 when you made the purchase? Because that will really gently caress over your argument if true.

It should be 2014,the armada pack was on that year.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I haven't felt the need to troll the brown sea since Chris got angry at people for asking about Star Marine.

It's been slowly imploding from the inside ever since then, and it's lovely to be able to stand back and watch from a distance. :)

:gary:

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

runsamok posted:

Evidently in the 30th century, everyone is the exact same height, but there MAY be something in the CryEngine that might (and this is by no means definite) allow them to make some different weights.

More game development waves crashing against the rock which is CryEngine.

I don't think that's the fault of cryengine but instead of trying to make a game that is actually an interactive movie and thinking you can get reuse out of mocap data.

Think about something like shaking hands where each persons actions has heavy dependencies on the other party. Now imagine you have 30 different characters and want them all to be able to shake hands in game. You could mocap them all shaking hands with the same prop. Even that is going to look odd for the actors at the extreme ends of size, plus viewers are going to notice every time someone shakes hands they are oriented in the same position.
Every time you want the characters to interact with each other or with the environment in ways that you did not specifically build a set for and act out the same problem occurs.

I think that's the problem they have. CR thinks mocap and a real time rendering engine is film making in easy mode but has fallen victim to garbage in garbage out and his inability to find compromise. He won't compromise to what is reasonable to produce with the tech available and is trying to shortcut around having to make a set for and literally act out every scene in the game.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
the RSI forums have, weirdly, become a much more open forum for dissent than reddit. Obviously the downvoting mechanism is part of this, but I think its also because high-level backers are tagged in RSI, they are pissed, and they are hard to dismiss as Derek Smart alts.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yep, I got everything out through the grey market and refunds, and then put some of the profit back in during the launch of 2.0 because I am gullible and thought they were finally moving forward. I'm mostly including the TOS changes to indicate how willing they are to ratfuck their customers. The crux of the argument is still solid, I think- they sold a package with 8 ships and two games, took the package off the website, refused to issue any release dates, pushed out some broken garbage and claimed they had fulfilled their end, denied a refund based on a 14 day statutory period not mentioned in their terms, and generally acted shady as hell.

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 9, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

fuctifino posted:

There is a recent Disco Lando interview from PAX that I don't think has been posted in this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA23x4C793c&t=2923s

" THERE ISN"T A SINGLE ASPECT OF THE GAME THAT"S FINISHED RIGHT NOW." - Disco Lando

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

the RSI forums have, weirdly, become a much more open forum for dissent than reddit. Obviously the downvoting mechanism is part of this, but I think its also because high-level backers are tagged in RSI, they are pissed, and they are hard to dismiss as Derek Smart alts.

That's only because the rest of the backers don't know how deep and insidious Derek's plan was. When he "Manchurian Candidate"-ed me, the first step was to spend $10,000 on space ships to help build my credibility.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

stinch posted:

I don't think that's the fault of cryengine but instead of trying to make a game that is actually an interactive movie and thinking you can get reuse out of mocap data.

Think about something like shaking hands where each persons actions has heavy dependencies on the other party. Now imagine you have 30 different characters and want them all to be able to shake hands in game. You could mocap them all shaking hands with the same prop. Even that is going to look odd for the actors at the extreme ends of size, plus viewers are going to notice every time someone shakes hands they are oriented in the same position.
Every time you want the characters to interact with each other or with the environment in ways that you did not specifically build a set for and act out the same problem occurs.

I think that's the problem they have. CR thinks mocap and a real time rendering engine is film making in easy mode but has fallen victim to garbage in garbage out and his inability to find compromise. He won't compromise to what is reasonable to produce with the tech available and is trying to shortcut around having to make a set for and literally act out every scene in the game.

Oh yeah, there's certainly issues with Chris' vision & lack of understanding. I was more commenting on the fact that CryEngine once again seems ideally unsuitable to actually make Chris' vision a reality, and the fact that it had some functionality geared towards this sort of customization that turned out to be a kludge that's subsequently been removed so CIG has to do it from scratch.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

runsamok posted:

Oh yeah, there's certainly issues with Chris' vision & lack of understanding. I was more commenting on the fact that CryEngine once again seems ideally unsuitable to actually make Chris' vision a reality, and the fact that it had some functionality geared towards this sort of customization that turned out to be a kludge that's subsequently been removed so CIG has to do it from scratch.

if they're working with cryengine devs won't they be able to sort this out

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Eonwe posted:

that is my favorite alien concept for anything ever

I would seriously play this game if it ever was something serious

(I know, it could be)

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Jason Sextro posted:

I would seriously play this game if it ever was something serious

(I know, it could be)

that's a $10 million stretch goal commando

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

serious norman posted:

if they're working with cryengine devs won't they be able to sort this out

Sean is one of the poached people from Crytek & he knows exactly how unsuitable CryEngine is for something like SC.

Given enough time & money they might be able to get most of what they envision into the engine, but they seem to be in short supply of both, having spent 4 years getting the bundle of baling wire & bubblegum that is 2.0 mini-PU into it's barely stable, horribly buggy state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is there even any way to defend this poo poo anymore without being insane or mentally retarded?

stinch posted:

Derek Smart refers to himself as an indie game fossil, but the real fossil is Roberts. He literally has not evolved since 2000 and still hasn't. His mindset is stuck in the 'one man dev' mindset that hasn't existed for over a decade (the exception is small indie games, but that is about it). It is simply impossible in modern game development. You can't control every single aspect. You also see this with his gimmicks (Hollywood actors, immersion, motion capturing every loving thing etc).

You have to accept compromises and rely on the experience of others as a project director. The reality is Roberts is a childish, artogant egotistical old gently caress who understands nothing about modern gaming. He takes his audience for granted and gets mad when they question his 'vision'. It is clear he gives no fucks about the people who gave him money. The fact that dissent is growing probably barely crosses his mind because they have put up with his poo poo for years.

He can't even play his own game. Developers can suck at their own games but I have never seen one look like a grandpa trying to install AOL.

• Locked thread