Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Gilganixon posted:

that's a $10 million stretch goal commando

of course, I understand game development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sarsapariller posted:

Yep, I got everything out through the grey market and refunds, and then put some of the profit back in during the launch of 2.0 because I am gullible and thought they were finally moving forward. I'm mostly including the TOS changes to indicate how willing they are to ratfuck their customers. The crux of the argument is still solid, I think- they sold a package with 8 ships and two games, took the package off the website, refused to issue any release dates, pushed out some broken garbage and claimed they had fulfilled their end, denied a refund based on a 14 day statutory period not mentioned in their terms, and generally acted shady as hell.

Allright then I think you have some work to do. Your purchase was made under the latest TOS, and a lot of the arguments I put together won't work because they occurred before you made your purchase. Instead I would focus on the following:

1. The items are substantially different from what was originally marketed. Specifically CIG has begun to pull back on features that were promised in the very beginning. This includes the removal of VR support as well as private servers. In addition the removal of Star Marine, a major feature that has been promised for over a year, is also a substantial change. In particular I would emphasize what Chris said about how you have FPS and boarding, and then indicate that simply is not the case.

2. I'm assuming your denial refund is the same boilerplate as the others. Make the argument that CIG's refund policy is arbitrary and inconsistent, and point to things like Chris's statement that they will be happy to issue refunds to people who aren't happy and the 1200+ refunds already issued. Also point to how CIG is saying a substantive portion of the game was delivered and yet both Ben and Jared have said nothing is finished. Emphasize that there is no 14 day statutory refund period.

3. Indicate CIG's attempt to intimidate you out of exercising your right as a consumer.

I wouldn't put too much on the delivery dates because frankly you signed on after they pushed SQ42 back to 2016. Your best bet is to focus entirely on how the product has, in the last month, been significantly devalued and how CIG has started to deny refunds on the argument that the game is already delivered.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
loving lol @ buying back in after being a regular in this thread. What is wrong with you? :psyduck:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Daztek posted:

And the VerseBusters saga continues :allears:

I'm the use of bold to emphasise important points.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
:psyduck: How the gently caress did I think this was a good idea?

I sampled Chris's own airhorn, enjoy

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

TTerrible posted:

loving lol @ buying back in after being a regular in this thread. What is wrong with you? :psyduck:

Sarsapariller is going to be one of those old folks who keep sending money to scammers after the bank, the police and all their relatives tell them it's a scam :ohdear:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

Yep, I got everything out through the grey market and refunds, and then put some of the profit back in during the launch of 2.0 because I am gullible

LOL

That's not gullibility just plain old stupidity.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

serious norman posted:

So if 2.0 is pre-alpha. What is alpha then? 3.0? And they are on.. 2.1? Lol.

Star citizen has star citizened software versioning.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Chalks posted:

I'm the use of bold to emphasise important points.

It could be worse.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Berious posted:

Sarsapariller is going to be one of those old folks who keep sending money to scammers after the bank, the police and all their relatives tell them it's a scam :ohdear:

If anyone who has been reading this thread since August has bought back in they deserve to lose their money.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Berious posted:

God help him with Stretch Goal 110 mil then: "Home Shopping Channel RSI special"

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
New canon race -- the Ben'les:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I think Sarsparilla's mission reports were lots of fun to read, so I'm cool with him spending his cash to entertain me.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

TTerrible posted:

If anyone who has been reading this thread since August has bought back in they deserve to lose their money.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

TTerrible posted:

They should just give everyone in this thread 100 bucks because that is less stupid than giving money to CIG.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

DandyLion posted:

God help him with Stretch Goal 110 mil then: "Home Shopping Channel RSI special"

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Oh you beautiful sonofabitch. Yes, get Private Eye in. Though, imagining Hislop's reaction to SA would be interesting.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Imagine being the person that saw 2.0 and said "Hmm yes this looks fine and good have some more of my money"

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Allright then I think you have some work to do. Your purchase was made under the latest TOS, and a lot of the arguments I put together won't work because they occurred before you made your purchase. Instead I would focus on the following:

1. The items are substantially different from what was originally marketed. Specifically CIG has begun to pull back on features that were promised in the very beginning. This includes the removal of VR support as well as private servers. In addition the removal of Star Marine, a major feature that has been promised for over a year, is also a substantial change. In particular I would emphasize what Chris said about how you have FPS and boarding, and then indicate that simply is not the case.

2. I'm assuming your denial refund is the same boilerplate as the others. Make the argument that CIG's refund policy is arbitrary and inconsistent, and point to things like Chris's statement that they will be happy to issue refunds to people who aren't happy and the 1200+ refunds already issued. Also point to how CIG is saying a substantive portion of the game was delivered and yet both Ben and Jared have said nothing is finished. Emphasize that there is no 14 day statutory refund period.

3. Indicate CIG's attempt to intimidate you out of exercising your right as a consumer.

I wouldn't put too much on the delivery dates because frankly you signed on after they pushed SQ42 back to 2016. Your best bet is to focus entirely on how the product has, in the last month, been significantly devalued and how CIG has started to deny refunds on the argument that the game is already delivered.

1. Covered to some extent but I don't really want to get into the weeds of features added/removed- a lot of it amounts to a slap fight over piddling details that no bank is going to care about. I pointed out the removal of Star Marine in (4) and Chris's "It's already in" in (4b), and I've added mention of the cancellation of VR support (4c). I cannot link the marketing from the original package because they removed the package from their site- that in itself is pretty telling.

2. More or less, yes. Working on this. Added a printed email from another backer who received a refund just last week, as well as two articles about mass refunds in (7). Added a link to Jared's interview where he says no aspect of the game is finished to (3c)

3. Done in (6a) and (6b)

TTerrible posted:

I had so much fun with refunds the first time, I wanted to do it again.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sedisp posted:

Imagine being the person that saw 2.0 and said "Hmm yes this looks fine and good have some more of my money"

Hey expectations were pretty loving low in November

Not $2500 low though :laffo:

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

ShredsYouSay posted:

Oh you beautiful sonofabitch. Yes, get Private Eye in. Though, imagining Hislop's reaction to SA would be interesting.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

Well I did back the game in the first place, so I guess call me foolishly naive. But I don't really have hope that it'll be good, mind you. I'm just willing to admit I was wrong about it not coming out at all. And with that, I cannot understand why they didn't spend more of today emphasizing their progress.

This was the point the pony person decided to say "You know what I'm ready for round 2.0"

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 9, 2016

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

LOL.

I can't believe he originally tried to sell this heap of poo poo for £3,500 just because of a few stickers.

What's a fair price for this? ~£600?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Sedisp posted:

This was the point the pony person decided to say "You know what I'm ready for round 2.0"

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Seriously Sarsapiller dude leave your bank out of it youre an idiot that spent more money on Star Citizen

you lose. man. Chris Roberts got yo money

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

fuctifino posted:

LOL.

I can't believe he originally tried to sell this heap of poo poo for £3,500 just because of a few stickers.

Depends, 600 paid by the buyer or the seller?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

I had so much fun with refunds the first time, I wanted to do it again.

Hello friend, would you like to buy my spaceship

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

fuctifino posted:

LOL.

Well it sounds stupid when you talk about money like that

real question is what would you rather have: a heap of not-in-game space ships or an in-real-life computer

gotta think like a Citizen commando

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Sarsapariller might just be the dumbest person in this thread. Even more so than people like Octopede. At least they have just been blinded by optimism. The Sarsapariller class Whale Ship will be loyal to you after it's lost all faith in you.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Well it sounds stupid when you talk about money like that

real question is what would you rather have: a heap of not-in-game space ships or an in-real-life computer

gotta think like a Citizen commando

Yeah, but that computer is AMD, which is like buying Star Citizen instead of Elite Dangerous

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Daztek posted:

Yeah, but that computer is AMD, which is like buying Star Citizen instead of Elite Dangerous

Hilariously, I've seen people getting like 20 downvotes on /r/starcitizen for bashing AMD

Why are people stupid

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
wait when you bought back in you spent $2500??

this thread never ceases to deliver

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Google Butt posted:

because its a hacked together cryengine mod

Is Cryengine not very good? What would have been a better engine to use which would have at least not have the spaceships poo poo themselves any time they interact with another physics object?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Hilariously, I've seen people getting like 20 downvotes on /r/starcitizen for bashing AMD

Why are people stupid

Those people totally deserve an AMD system.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Madcosby posted:

wait when you bought back in you spent $2500??

this thread never ceases to deliver

Holy loving poo poo I missed this, I thought it was $50 or something. Hahahha

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

fuctifino posted:

LOL.

Imagine the thought process when listing it. £3,500 seems like a lot of money but this is Star Citizen... better make it an auction in case there is a bidding war and I can actually get more than £3,500 for it.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Daztek posted:

AMD FX-9370 CPU - 220W TDP

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Iglocska posted:

Those people totally deserve an AMD system.

Stimperor located

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/44w6b8/if_backing_was_to_stop/cztbw9q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

The first bunch of spaceships weren't that good, but let me try $2500 more of them

• Locked thread