Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
id shoot imgay on day 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i just want to play board games

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PBS Newshour posted:

i just want to play board games

You should play one of my PbP BSG games next time I run :)

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Podima posted:

You should play one of my PbP BSG games next time I run :)

is that like space monopoly

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
##vote podima

Vibes~~~~

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Capps are you living in dorms or at home?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tommunist posted:

##vote podima

Vibes~~~~

bad dog

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JakeP posted:

is that like space monopoly

Kind of - it's a traitor board game based off of the BSG TV show. It's good!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Asiina posted:

Capps are you living in dorms or at home?

dorms, nobody likes me :(

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Since friction is new this may be meaningless, but I don't like the lurking until called out posting that just happened. In light of being new to the game, WHO KNOWS.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I will completely ignore the game of mafia to tell you a story about my undergrad.

Many, many years ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth I started undergrad. I didn't really know anyone other than one person I was sorta friends with in high school. All of my friends had scattered to the wind and were all living in dorms and having the time of their lives with their new besties as evidenced on livejournal and this newfangled website called Facebook meant I could see pictures of all the fun they were having. Meanwhile I couldn't afford to live away from home in university and I was in a very popular major so I basically just took the bus to campus, went to incredibly impersonal 500 people lectures, then went home.

I had gotten to know a few people, but honestly we had basically nothing in common and I didn't like them very much. We would hang out and I never felt like I fit in with them but I was terrified of not hanging out with them because then I had nobody.

I went through my entire first year like this and got very depressed. Then in the summer before second year I posted in a livejournal group for my university and someone suggested I hang out at the university's GLBT centre on campus. I went there that September and met a whole bunch of cool people I was able to hang out with the rest of my time there. I also found a poster for a gaming group and started going to their little get togethers and met some people through that as well.

Basically the moral of this story is don't just settle for not meeting people. Find an interest and I guarantee there will be a group at your university campus that will share what you care about. That's half of what university is about.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

PBS Newshour posted:

im incredibly lonely and don't know how to make new friends at college :(

Join clubs, join clubs, join clubs.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Imo if you spare the whip then years later they rise up and kill u in your sleep

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Start a Heroes of the Dorm team you have like 1 week to register!

https://heroesofthedorm.com/

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Asiina posted:

I will completely ignore the game of mafia to tell you a story about my undergrad.

Many, many years ago when dinosaurs roamed the earth I started undergrad. I didn't really know anyone other than one person I was sorta friends with in high school. All of my friends had scattered to the wind and were all living in dorms and having the time of their lives with their new besties as evidenced on livejournal and this newfangled website called Facebook meant I could see pictures of all the fun they were having. Meanwhile I couldn't afford to live away from home in university and I was in a very popular major so I basically just took the bus to campus, went to incredibly impersonal 500 people lectures, then went home.

I had gotten to know a few people, but honestly we had basically nothing in common and I didn't like them very much. We would hang out and I never felt like I fit in with them but I was terrified of not hanging out with them because then I had nobody.

I went through my entire first year like this and got very depressed. Then in the summer before second year I posted in a livejournal group for my university and someone suggested I hang out at the university's GLBT centre on campus. I went there that September and met a whole bunch of cool people I was able to hang out with the rest of my time there. I also found a poster for a gaming group and started going to their little get togethers and met some people through that as well.

Basically the moral of this story is don't just settle for not meeting people. Find an interest and I guarantee there will be a group at your university campus that will share what you care about. That's half of what university is about.

Yeah, word to this.

For what it's worth PBS, you have a good wit and I think you'd be a good addition to a comedy group if your college has one. Most of my friends are comedians or, at the least, comedian hobbyists, and they're good folk.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CCKeane posted:

Join clubs, join clubs, join clubs.

the film watching club is filled with jerks who like to do jokes when watching movies
the film making club just cares about the process and not really making things
the comic book club is dead
the game club is just people playing magic the gathering

:(

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CCKeane posted:

Yeah, word to this.

For what it's worth PBS, you have a good wit and I think you'd be a good addition to a comedy group if your college has one. Most of my friends are comedians or, at the least, comedian hobbyists, and they're good folk.

there is a short form improv thing here but when i go on their page its unfunny memes and it makes me scared :(

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
:ffg:
Maybe I am lurking until called out, or maybe you read it wrong completely and are just looking for something to content lurk about, or maybe you were just making a joke post in the joke phase, or maybe Barack Obama is actually a lizard person spying on our mafia game to see if we will be loyal minions of the illuminati, who knows?

I don't I'm too busy touching tips with my lab mate. University is a magical place.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Podima posted:

This is Trasson and Friction.123's second ever SA game, and the first one hasn't concluded yet. I don't blame them for being weirded out by jokephase, it's hard to get into.

##vote Friction.123 for mod sass tho

Oh, I get jokephase fine. That's why I made a dumb joke!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

PBS Newshour posted:

there is a short form improv thing here but when i go on their page its unfunny memes and it makes me scared :(

Be open minded and try going. It may surprise you. It may not, but oh well lesson learned!

I left it out of my story, but I also tried to go to a few other places and it was like oh god no, and after about a month stopped talking to those people entirely. Sometimes it doesn't work out, but I wouldn't have known if I didn't try!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i really should try the movie groups again because the last time i went to those it was during the ~dark years~

but they are probably still poo poo

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
also

Asiina posted:

##vote Trasson

I hate when people bitch about jokephase and then check out.

I HATE IT!

I hate it when people hate me die you're not a squid or a kid

##vote Asiina

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Mtg is a fun cool social game and you can use the cards as drink coasters

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
also they make me feel bad because everyone seems to be having a good time making poo poo and i am just like "but we can make decent stuff if we try... maybe not good but decent stuff"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tommunist posted:

Mtg is a fun cool social game and you can use the cards as drink coasters

they play in these giant ten person games which i heard everyone who plays MTG hate

i wouldn't be opposed to playing a few games but i don't really want to start buying the stuff especially since i am already spending a lot of cash on x wing miniatures

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

I could be wrong but it sounds like they're drafting, which is a pretty low cost way to play magic.

Xwings is pretty cool, have you checked round if there's even an off uni games club/store or something?

Every time I play mtg and my local store there's always some people playing xwings

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think starter packs are relatively inexpensive. 10-player games do sound like a nightmare though. I've played a fair amount of MtG but not against anyone who took is super seriously and had like, pro-league decks. Usually just some pre-made silliness that's reasonably balanced if not super cheesy.

Also Capps, I say this with love, but if you want to make friends and enjoy things around you, you need to be less judgy. People are just trying to have fun and maybe they want to take it seriously or not, but saying they're making poo poo or that they're being poo poo because they are not doing the same things you would really closes a lot of doors.

Try to be more open minded.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this isn't really the biggest campus

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Asiina posted:

Also Capps, I say this with love, but if you want to make friends and enjoy things around you, you need to be less judgy. People are just trying to have fun and maybe they want to take it seriously or not, but saying they're making poo poo or that they're being poo poo because they are not doing the same things you would really closes a lot of doors.

no that film club was seriously making poo poo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this is the club that made a horror film that was so "shocking", they were proud to say that nobody in the film festival that watched it clap for it

it was so shocking because the twist was the killer was the lesbian crazy ex girlfriend of the main character, who stops the main character with a knife in the vagina

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
MTG is a game about two players with preconstructed 60 card decks or built on site to spec 40 card decks going against each other that also happens to have people twist it into preconstructed 100 card decks with all sorts of crazy rules and specifications to play with eight people.

Burn Commander.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Trasson posted:

MTG is a game about two players with preconstructed 60 card decks or built on site to spec 40 card decks going against each other that also happens to have people twist it into preconstructed 100 card decks with all sorts of crazy rules and specifications to play with eight people.

Burn Commander.

I appreciated this post! :v:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

PBS Newshour posted:

this is the club that made a horror film that was so "shocking", they were proud to say that nobody in the film festival that watched it clap for it

it was so shocking because the twist was the killer was the lesbian crazy ex girlfriend of the main character, who stops the main character with a knife in the vagina

stabs

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
It's a metaphor for the patriarchy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
like this is the short film:

shots of boyfriend tied up, someone using his cellphone to text message the main character

main character getting texts in woods, finds an abandon house. five establishing shots of the house in a row.

bunch of shots of main character walking around house.

masked person chasing character.

masked person unmasked, gasp its a girl. gasp its the main characters ex lover. she stabs the main character in the vagina

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
that is literally the whole thing

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of vaginas, I just started my period.

I also set off my smoke detector while making garlic bread.

I don't think those two things are related, but MAYBE THEY ARE?!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Seems like it would effectively stop someone.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

I have spent a lot of money on my modern deck and so my friends just built hard counter decks to it and now I'm trapped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
also there was the one about the three cool college guys who smoke weed and are cool are going to get killed by the scary black man who recently got out of prison because one of them owns him money for weed

there is a "funny" quick flashback where we see the guy kill his ex girlfriend, so taratino! haha!

• Locked thread