Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

tooterfish posted:

Except that, using the longbow as an example, that's exactly what happened historically?

It takes a decade or more of practice to learn to accurately shoot a bow that's in excess of 130 pounds draw weight, and absolutely no one needs a bow that powerful in civilian life, so that practice had to be enshrined in law. Widespread proficiency is these weapons isn't an inherent cultural trait, it's the direct result of government policy.

An institution built up over "a decade or more" isn't going to disappear the day after a ruler dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

It is if the new ruler doesn't enforce it, or even outlaws it. :shrug:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

tooterfish posted:

It is if the new ruler doesn't enforce it, or even outlaws it. :shrug:
Why on earth would he do that.

The first thing (or one of, I don't really remember) I did when I started modding CK2 was make it so that cultural buildings were potentially available based on the province culture, and buildable if the ruler culture was also compatible. Makes it so the buildings don't disappear when someone new takes over, only when the actual province culture changes.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

tooterfish posted:

Except that, using the longbow as an example, that's exactly what happened historically?

It takes a decade or more of practice to learn to accurately shoot a bow that's in excess of 130 pounds draw weight, and absolutely no one needs a bow that powerful in civilian life, so that practice had to be enshrined in law. Widespread proficiency is these weapons isn't an inherent cultural trait, it's the direct result of government policy.

Except not! Back when England still had holdings in Normandy and Aquitaine, English subjects in those two areas did not practice the Longbow and did not provide Longbow-wielding levies, whereas English subjects within England proper (and Wales) did.

Strudel Man posted:

edit: This is still something of an open question but I read a fairly persuasive paper arguing that longbows were too cost-effective. The cost of raising a host of longbowmen in rebellion was available to many possible actors, but the more expensive crossbow was only really available to pretty powerful state actors (i.e. you, if you're in the position to determine the legality of the longbow). Therefore, if you are afraid that local lords will rise up in revolt, you will not promote the longbow.

edit 2: This is one thing that EU4 doesn't really model very well. England should have a really strong infantry combat advantage until 1550 as long as some condition regarding mostly controlling only English/Welsh provinces is met. The longbow was, far and away, the superior weapon up until ~1550 (pike and shot eventually, grudgingly, usurped it). There isn't really a good way to represent this (everyone in the Western group has access to longbows as a unit? Really? That's like letting every actor in a WW2 game pick Blitzkrieg as their combat doctrine) except for maybe a big +infantry combat bonus that goes away in 1550 or if England takes over more than X non-English provinces. That might solve the strait problem too actually. England would actually win the land war, but if they pushed it into further conquests in France, they'd lose the advantage that won them the land war to begin with.

Dibujante fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Feb 10, 2016

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
January 13th, 1257: Richard of Cornwall elected King of the Romans and crowned by the Archbishop of Cologne
January 14th, 1257: The German Warhorse becomes extinct

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

tooterfish posted:

Well using the camel as the example like he originally said, we end up at an impasse because replacing the longbow with a camel is exactly what the game mechanics give you.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know, why does it matter why?

Historically longbow practice isn't an inherent cultural trait, people only did it because they were coerced, so it dying off because Sultan John doesn't like the idea isn't actually that strange a thing. Just thought I'd point that out.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

tooterfish posted:

Historically longbow practice isn't an inherent cultural trait, people only did it because they were coerced, so it dying off because Sultan John doesn't like the idea isn't actually that strange a thing. Just thought I'd point that out.

You're an idiot

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Burn the CK2 combat system to the ground, replace it with levies being open drafting a Gwent deck.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Enjoy posted:

You're an idiot
Well that's certainly called for.

Tell you what, before this escalates further why don't we go our separate ways. I'll go over here, and you go gently caress yourself.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Cultural levies being tied to the province and cultural retinues being tied to the ruler seems like a decent configuration to me.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Dibujante posted:

edit 2: This is one thing that EU4 doesn't really model very well. England should have a really strong infantry combat advantage until 1550

It's an abstraction in EU4, this is what ideas are for isn't it? It's just a gameplay mechanic. It's not like every country with military bonuses in their ideas actually had unstoppable supersoldiers for the 400 year period the game is set.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Koramei posted:

It's an abstraction in EU4, this is what ideas are for isn't it? It's just a gameplay mechanic. It's not like every country with military bonuses in their ideas actually had unstoppable supersoldiers for the 400 year period the game is set.

Generally I agree with that, but in this case the bonus is so out of character with how England's ideas are set up (naval pretty much entirely). It would probably be more accurate to give them infantry combat tradition and move their naval morale out a ways (they were bad at boats for a pretty long time leading up to game start) but then the real exploit would become winning the HYW as France, not England.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

tooterfish posted:

And people who have done it due to being coerced for generations (and hell, who probably like it and see it as regional pride!) don't immediately disappear the day after a ruler of a particular culture takes over.

Also to put this another way - say for instance England wins a Hundred Years War-type scenario, and an English king (disregarding the fact that a lot of the English nobility had more in common with French nobles than with English commoners) takes the throne of France. Do you really think French knights would just hang up their stirrups and take up longbow-style archery, just because the king is now English?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

And people who have done it due to being coerced for generations (and hell, who probably like it and see it as regional pride!) don't immediately disappear the day after a ruler of a particular culture takes over.

Also to put this another way - say for instance England wins a Hundred Years War-type scenario, and an English king (disregarding the fact that a lot of the English nobility had more in common with French nobles than with English commoners) takes the throne of France. Do you really think French knights would just hang up their stirrups and take up longbow-style archery, just because the king is now English?

Not even. It's hang up their stirrups overnight, every single one of them, and consider maybe taking up longbows a couple decades from now, if the new ruler invests a ton of time and money into it.

And if a French king were to overthrow that English ruler three months down the road, all those knights stay retired.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Empress Theonora posted:

I should learn how to play it and LP it just to show everyone who's boss.*

*who's boss is whatever AI country would beat me, probably.

edit: seriously contemplating this as a more reasonable alternative than "try to cram in an entire mega-LP while I wait for HoI IV to come out".

So are you gonna continue the Byzantine LP in HoI IV? Been reading through it the past few days. and it's pretty entertaining.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Schizotek posted:

So are you gonna continue the Byzantine LP in HoI IV? Been reading through it the past few days. and it's pretty entertaining.

Yep! Whenever, you know, HoI IV actually comes out.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Maybe, the national pride thing might be a valid reason to keep it up. There's a slight difference between poor people giving up something they were forced to do on pain of death, and rich people giving up the trappings that give them power though.

I wasn't intending for this to be a 2 page derail, I was just pointing out that longbow practice isn't something inherent to the area, that the policies of the people in charge had a lot more to do with longbowmen being available en-masse than any cultural factors. So any policy change might also plausibly see their availability drop off quite abruptly. Although I suppose it all depends on your definition of abrupt (I've no idea what the granularity of turns are in these games).

I guess we'll never know for sure, because the laws "encouraging" practice were never really repealed in the time of the longbow's usefulness. They just stopped being enforced so vigorously, so the practice fell out of style naturally.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
A couple more quality of life suggestions:

When the heir ascends and is a different culture, holdings with cultural buildings start rebuilding to the same level of the different culture, gratis.

Viking raids need to be supported by boat, or suffer crippling attrition. When defeated, viking raiders shattered retreat to their boats, and then their boats shattered retreat back to Trondheim.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Nice paradox plaza roleplay guys. Very authentic grogging.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Trogdos! posted:

Here are some goon Paradox LPs.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3731765

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3603375

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3582025

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3677410

There's a bunch of semi-famous Paradox youtuber/twitch streamers, from the top of my head there's Arumba07, Shenryyr, Quill18 and Steejo. Maybe one of them is to your liking.

I do recommend their tag team series as was mentioned

edit: there's also this massive completed LP from Grey Hunter where he plays his nation of Ghana through CK2, EU4, Victoria 2 and Distant Worlds (A non-paradox space strategy game) http://lparchive.org/Distant-Worlds-(by-Grey-Hunter)/ SA apparently breaks the link so you have to paste it

Feels left out :negative:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

I'm new to all this, I'm trying to get into practice for Stellaris.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

It's not Paradox Plaza until we get Hitler apologists, angry Dutch nationalists upset that a duchy that should rightfully belong to Flanders is in de jure France instead and indignation grogs whose ~*immersion*~ is broken because a woman can theoretically become the Holy Roman Emperor.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dibujante posted:

Generally I agree with that, but in this case the bonus is so out of character with how England's ideas are set up (naval pretty much entirely). It would probably be more accurate to give them infantry combat tradition and move their naval morale out a ways (they were bad at boats for a pretty long time leading up to game start) but then the real exploit would become winning the HYW as France, not England.

Russia didn't have infinite manpower, the Otoman empire wasn't a super tolerant heaven, Prussia didn't have armies composed of invincible robocops.

It's a game.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Dibujante posted:

Mans posted:

Russia didn't have infinite manpower, the Otoman empire wasn't a super tolerant heaven, Prussia didn't have armies composed of invincible robocops.

It's a game.

The real solution is to buff national ideas and make them expire 100 years after you unlock them.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Groogy posted:

Feels left out :negative:

Here's a great CK2 and EU IV LP. It's a heavily modded game following a Danish Germanic Pagan family. It will eventually even encompass Victoria 2 and HoI 4.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3642949

Unrelated to all this, can you get me a Stellaris beta invite, Groogy? :cheeky:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

God forbid having any interesting discussion instead of being cretins slobbering all over the latest dev diary.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There is really no reason that your cultural buildings just vanish when your successor has a different culture. Especially considering that said cultural buildings are the most expensive and most time consuming structures to build in a castle.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

God forbid having any interesting discussion instead of being cretins slobbering all over the latest dev diary.

lol defensive much

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

On the LP discussion- is there a good, short series that helps explain all the mechanics of CKII? I want to try it out, but the game feels significantly different than EU4, V2 and so on...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The best way to learn CK2 is to use the wikipedia link on your first ruler, and try to figure out which parts of his life are or are not a mechanic in the game as you try to relive his life.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Torrannor posted:

There is really no reason that your cultural buildings just vanish when your successor has a different culture. Especially considering that said cultural buildings are the most expensive and most time consuming structures to build in a castle.

Isn't the reason so you can't cheese things to get a whole bunch of different cultural bonuses by having each successive ruler be of a different culture?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

DStecks posted:

Isn't the reason so you can't cheese things to get a whole bunch of different cultural bonuses by having each successive ruler be of a different culture?

I would be completely ok with Paradox making it so that cultural diversity in your game is very rewarding, mostly to see Paradox nazis cry about it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I'm looking at the Lunar New Year sale on Steam right now, does anyone have an opinion on Warlock 1 vs Warlock 2? I know they're published by Paradox rather than developed, but still. Warlock 1 seems to be the more highly regarded but at the same time most of the complaints about 2 seem to be focused around it being too similar to 1 rather than being an inferior product, and since I've never played 1 I don't think that would matter to me. Is the first one actually superior to the sequel?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I'm looking at the Lunar New Year sale on Steam right now, does anyone have an opinion on Warlock 1 vs Warlock 2? I know they're published by Paradox rather than developed, but still. Warlock 1 seems to be the more highly regarded but at the same time most of the complaints about 2 seem to be focused around it being too similar to 1 rather than being an inferior product, and since I've never played 1 I don't think that would matter to me. Is the first one actually superior to the sequel?

I don't think so. But it is valid to point out what a waste of money 2 is, when you have 1 already, and I bet the majority of negative steam reviews go in that direction. Also the fact that you don't realize this inside of the 2 hour refund window.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

If you don't have 1, get 2. If you have 1, don't get 2.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Real Foogla posted:

I don't think so. But it is valid to point out what a waste of money 2 is, when you have 1 already, and I bet the majority of negative steam reviews go in that direction. Also the fact that you don't realize this inside of the 2 hour refund window.

NewMars posted:

If you don't have 1, get 2. If you have 1, don't get 2.

Cool, thanks for the input. In that case I'll go ahead and get 2.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I've seen a lot of weird stuff happening when running the game in observer mode, but having the Holy Roman Emperor and the US end up as neighbors in Africa is new. While it is kinda funny, I do wish the HRE had some mechanics for dealing with it being clearly a fiction at some point, like when three great big blobs rule 90% of the thing while the emperor is some tiny poo poo country. Would make sense for the empire to finally dissolve de jure, when it has been de facto dead for decades.

Would be cool too if the HRE was less prone to blobbing though.

e: Perhaps something like a diplomatic option which was sort of like a pro-active coalition? Something like if the aggressive side in a war is clearly superior, the other side would be able to make a call for solidarity, which would enable friends and enemies-of-their-enemies to jump into the war on the defenders side. This would cost prestige, and make it impossible to demand anything but white peace though, so it would clearly only be for when you're pretty sure you're going to get your rear end kicked. Could limit the number of countries able to jump in so they can at best match the other side, so you wouldn't suddenly have half the HRE joining together to wreck Bavaria or whatever. Maybe have warscore tie into this too? Higher war score for the attacker meaning more people might feel the need to kick their rear end so they're not next.

Maybe limit it to when you're at some negative war score, and perhaps the war having gone on for a certain length of time, so you can't just do it straight away and never have to worry about your enemies. Would encourage faster and less total wars too, as you would want to prevent a bunch of countries jumping in and bogging you down.

tooterfish posted:

(I've no idea what the granularity of turns are in these games).
??? 1 day/2 hours/1 hour, depending on the game?

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 10, 2016

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

On the LP discussion- is there a good, short series that helps explain all the mechanics of CKII? I want to try it out, but the game feels significantly different than EU4, V2 and so on...

This is the only one that really comes to mind right now, and it's pretty old at this point. Some of it might still be helpful though.

http://lparchive.org/Crusader-Kings-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Odobenidae posted:

The real solution is to buff national ideas and make them expire 100 years after you unlock them.

all nations becoming perfectly generic circa 1650 seems undesirable to me... :)