Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

no one can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
id straight up kid thunder u

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh BTW big kudos to the new players for trying out Mafia! You should stick around and play more games!

Here are the Mafia Discussion Thread and the New Game Announcements thread.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

hahhaha amazing

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
That sure was a trip. Thanks to Podima for running this and everyone else for being accomodating. I'll have more detailed thoughts maybe tomorrow when I'm not working on homework but this was a blast.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
adn ya what a nailbiter, did not see the town winning at a point

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
After having played this setup twice both have been just great fun epic games.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

JakeP posted:

adn ya what a nailbiter, did not see the town winning at a point

JakeP posted:

After having played this setup twice both have been just great fun epic games.

Yeah this was a really really fun setup and I'd very much like to run it again with no replacements to see how things shake out differently.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Podima posted:

Yeah this was a really really fun setup and I'd very much like to run it again with no replacements to see how things shake out differently.

presign me for any nailbiter

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Good to see town win. Sorry for replacing out. Well done everyone.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

imgay posted:

lol metos calling out jake for reading scum doc
It's just funny how we said in the doc 'the only way we'll lose is if 100yrs gets killed by Jake tonight' and then it happened with no real reasonjng why when he was going for lumpen earlier, then it was 'we can still win as long as the lynch isn't Gulagdolls' and he immediately hit straight on that and ignored everything else. I don't actually care/think if he read it or not, just was strangely fortuitous with no reasoning to back it up.

Was a fun game, time zones made it a bit strange for me but overall was cool. Thanks Podima.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh poo poo that reminds me :siren: you should all read the scumdoc to see Metos literally risk his life for this game :siren:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I have no idea what happened in this game. at all. The scum claiming completely threw me for a loop and I just didn't count votes to figure out what the hell was going on. I was more disengaged than I wanted to be to play a game of mafia and was considering replacing out, but with all the other replacements I thought i'd stick it out. Scheduling also didn't work particularly well for me, but oh well. Thanks Podima, and now I know not to play two games back to back. I do feel pretty good about getting the call on Lumpen correct though.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Podima posted:

:siren: you should all read the scumdoc to see Metos literally risk his life for this game :siren:

:eyepop:

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Oh God, just the stuff with the fight with my girlfriend or did I do something really dumb on one of the nights I got really drunk recently and reported it there?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
With 100 it just seemed like he was the last one to come out and say anything after Lumpen scumclaimed, for some reason it just felt like he was the one to go after

today with Gulag I felt like Lumpen self voting was like a reverse psychology thing where he wanted me to think he was baiting me to kill him the tracking on gulag was enough to know he wasn't the RB so we had a 1/3 chance and I went with my gut.

Really towards the end of the day I felt like he wasn't the godfather because Lumpen was talking as if the godfather would still be around after this lynch, and I guess I was feeling it more as him slipping and giving that info out, but with how much hassle it was to get people in the thread just to vote initially I didn't want to try and rock the boat and change it and was fine to just go with Gulag. I was pretty surprised in the end when he flipped.

I dunno it was just weird gut feels with how Lumpen was talking. It felt like he was trying to manipulate me into doing certain things by pretending to manipulate me into doing obvious things

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Captain Foo posted:

I have no idea what happened in this game. at all. The scum claiming completely threw me for a loop and I just didn't count votes to figure out what the hell was going on. I was more disengaged than I wanted to be to play a game of mafia and was considering replacing out, but with all the other replacements I thought i'd stick it out. Scheduling also didn't work particularly well for me, but oh well. Thanks Podima, and now I know not to play two games back to back. I do feel pretty good about getting the call on Lumpen correct though.

i got 100yrs and jakep totally wrong though, lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jakep for town mvp

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
actually i guess 100 was the RB so that wasn't a possibility. I actually got pretty confused with all the scenarios lumpen was throwing at me

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Foo posted:

jakep for town mvp

ya unfortunately for me :(

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lumpen could have won if I got trumped

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
really makes you think

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:3:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Yeah as soon as I inherited Jailer I was like "well, this isn't going to do me much good". And, looking at the scum doc, it didn't! But it did give me an excuse to keep paying attention to what felt like a lost game, and I figured I'd just keep it hidden in case anyway. The fact that Lumpen thought Foo inherited jailer meant something went right, I guess.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Metos posted:

Oh God, just the stuff with the fight with my girlfriend or did I do something really dumb on one of the nights I got really drunk recently and reported it there?

mostly the "HI GUYS IM HIDING IN THE BATHROOM TO TAKE A BREAK FROM FIGHTING WITH MY GIRLFRIEND BEFORE SHE GOES TO SWORD CLASS"

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And yeah scum massclaiming was one of the more interesting things I've seen in awhile

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Podima posted:

mostly the "HI GUYS IM HIDING IN THE BATHROOM TO TAKE A BREAK FROM FIGHTING WITH MY GIRLFRIEND BEFORE SHE GOES TO SWORD CLASS"

yeah that was one of the more :psyduck: posts i've seen in any context

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies
Yeah that was a... Rough night.

Obviously wouldn't have brought it into any other thread but given how this one requires posting frequently I felt it was lovely to disappear especially when I was under suspicion at the time. As I said above I decided I didn't want to be a lurker scum but learn the hard way how pbp Mafia works.

As for the swords. :shrug: she likes swordfighting. The real scary thing in her hands is her battleaxe.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i dont believe the battleaxe thing.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop
In the ScumDoc I go into great detail about the cases for and against sacrificing Metos (who was exposed for his fakeclaim of Jailer when Jake killed TheCog), vs refusing to sacrifice Metos and thus exposing the Scumteam. We had expected the SK to kill imgay, since Tracker was the biggest claimed threat that could expose him. We suspected Jake was the SK and confirmed it with a RB failure.

At that point we knew Jake was SK, and we counted on him being a more rational actor and pursuing his win condition rather than throwing the game.

As it turned out, we might have been better off with a quick bus of Metos and trying to keep our cover, but there's no way to know for sure. Jake made some really clutch moves to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

It was crazy how many moving parts and coalescing probabilities there were interacting as the game came to a head. Any of Town, Scum, or SK victory was absolutely possible and reasonable all the way to the D5 hammer, even with all the info that was publicly exposed. Even N5 it really could have easily gone Town or Scum, if Jake had killed a Townie in hopes that we would also kill a different Townie. Which we very nearly did! We almost targeted Foo (which would have failed due to Jail), and then we might have had a really interesting D6!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
well i withheld the kill knowing you would kill a townie, and then it would be 2v2vme where I was the deciding vote, if I killed a scum I would have been lynchable and I kept myself in a position where killing me would result in that team losing

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
so yeah i basically had it so whoever killed me would lose, but if no one killed me I would just win, or at least go to a 1v1v1 last day where I was hoping I could get the town to vote the scum with me

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

GulagDolls posted:

i dont believe the battleaxe thing.
Keep this thread open and next time I'm at her place I'll take a photo for you.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lumpen so salty jake didn't do exactly what he wanted

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop

JakeP posted:

well i withheld the kill knowing you would kill a townie, and then it would be 2v2vme where I was the deciding vote, if I killed a scum I would have been lynchable and I kept myself in a position where killing me would result in that team losing

Welp I think your decisionmaking process would have really been helped with access to my ScumDoc chart, lol.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Metos posted:

Keep this thread open and next time I'm at her place I'll take a photo for you.

:toxx:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also people who have played BSG with me will understand this: It was really hard to not shitpost in the thread as much as I typically do while moderating!

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

Plaster Town Cop
You did an admirable job of modding fairly and patiently.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Podima you did a hell of a job, I gotta say that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Cheers everyone, and thanks for being patient when I was traveling this last weekend. The last couple of day start/end posts were brought to you from my hotel room's bathroom while my friend slept. :v:

• Locked thread