Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Booblord Zagats posted:

When they took over Saitek, their HOTAS systems went from super tough and long lived to lovely plastic junk that loses calibration and breaks after a few months.

Plus MadCatz has always been terrible, I had a MadCatz PS2 controller that was punishment for people who kept doing cheap combos in MvC

Were their Playstation memory cards the ones everyone said not to buy because they randomly erased themselves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

So who's dying, Madcatz or Harmonix?

I played Rock band 10 years ago, it was fun

Seems like a weird thing to rerelease in 2016 but ok

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The_Franz posted:

Were their Playstation memory cards the ones everyone said not to buy because they randomly erased themselves?

I think so.

Conversely (Nyko vs Madcatz again!) The yellow Nyko PS2 memory card I had was super-reliable and sturdy as hell.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Booblord Zagats posted:

Their interviews haven't been good since 2011 or so iirc. All their better writers got jobs with more respected outlets like the New Yorker and Esquire and some ever work for TV production companies doctoring scripts

Lmfao yeahhhhh more "respected" outlets like *tries to stifle smirk*the new yorker... Or esquire...

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I want to say that MadCatz stepped up their game in recent years but boy were their N64 peripherals total loving crap. Even beyond that weird rule Nintendo had where a 3rd-party controller couldn't use the same design as the original, theirs was still a loving abomination of cheaply-made plastic and hard edges. Same with Nyko.

To be fair, how do you make the N64 controller good?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Yahoo shares are in the toilet and Marissa Mayer has driven away pretty much all the top talent at Yahoo. Those employees she hasn't driven away or fired, apparently refer to her as Evita (Eva Peron) :lol: All that's left for her to do is to gut the company and sell off the pieces. It's always funny to see a person with such a massive ego fail miserably. Wonder if she has any more glamour photo shoots coming up.

Hopefully Snapchat, and the other tech companies with insane valuations, no earnings and smug CEOs come crashing down next. :allears:

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Pawn 17 posted:

Yahoo shares are in the toilet and Marissa Mayer has driven away pretty much all the top talent at Yahoo. Those employees she hasn't driven away or fired, apparently refer to her as Evita (Eva Peron) :lol: All that's left for her to do is to gut the company and sell off the pieces. It's always funny to see a person with such a massive ego fail miserably. Wonder if she has any more glamour photo shoots coming up.

Hopefully Snapchat, and the other tech companies with insane valuations, no earnings and smug CEOs come crashing down next. :allears:

If her ego is as massive as you say it is, then she'll be fine. She'll have a few pat excuses., chalk it up to a learning experience, and move on. She'll sit on a few boards, maybe become a VC herself. People of that echelon may have a damaged professional reputation, but they will still live comfortably.

Automatic Slim has a new favorite as of 05:27 on Feb 10, 2016

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Automatic Slim posted:

If her ego is as massive as you say it is, then she'll be fine. She'll have a few pat excuses., chalk it up to a learning experience, and move on. She'll sit on a few boards, maybe become a VC herself. People of that echelon may have a damaged professional reputation, but they will still live comfortably.

Oh I know. Once you reach that level there is nothing, short of maybe becoming a serial killer, that can ruin your career. Most of the CEOs who bankrupt their companies in the financial crisis (and became the most hated people in America) had golden parachutes worth tens of millions and started their own companies, retired super rich or fell right into to other loving CEO jobs.

But even if they eventually get back up, it's still fun to watch them fall from their high horses.

Sophy Wackles has a new favorite as of 05:42 on Feb 10, 2016

otend
Jan 18, 2016

Booblord Zagats posted:

Plus MadCatz has always been terrible, I had a MadCatz PS2 controller that was punishment for people who kept doing cheap combos in MvC

ironically, their actual fighting game controllers have a pretty decent reputation

would that be irony? i dunno

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

reallivedinosaur posted:

Mad Catz have always made poo poo products designed to be the cheap option for moms when junior had a tantrum and smashed his controller in a tantrum and needs a replacement.

The only MadCatz controller I had was for GameCube and from the moment I unpacked it, when it was brand new, it would go bugfuck as soon as you turned the console on. It would start activating all buttons and directions at once. You had to turn the machine on, unplug it then plug it back in to get it to work. It was the designated Player 2 controller.

I had MadCatz memory cards though and they were all fine :shrug:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Why does her office look like a college dorm room? Yeah yeah Silicon Valley and all that but who can get anything done in that clutter

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I want to bend her over that plastic ball and introduce her to my "Yahoo", unnowwattamean
Make her squeal with her hhhngnghnyaghnyagh laughs

I thought it important to post this in case she is reading

naem
May 29, 2011

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Why does her office look like a college dorm room? Yeah yeah Silicon Valley and all that but who can get anything done in that clutter

She doesn't "do" things she's an executive

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

naem posted:

She doesn't "do" things she's an executive

*writes on dry erase board for thirty seconds* synergize market capitalization with emerging trends

*play with camel toy for a few minutes*

*stares into lava lamp for 3 hours*

welp, time to go to lunch then call it a day

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

otend posted:

ironically, their actual fighting game controllers have a pretty decent reputation

would that be irony? i dunno

a little, considering how absurdly anal fighting game fans get over their controllers.

i went to this fighting game night at some local nerdery a couple times cause i didnt have a playstation to play street fighter on, and i didn't win much, but whenever i did it made people kinda mad that i was just using a regular playstation controller lol

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Sega's doing quite well, too. They sensed where things are going, and have slowly shifted towards western developers. They've really gone in on the PC market especially, making stuff like the Total War games, they've been porting basically every game you could want from them to it, and they've got Football Manager as sort of a no-nonsense constant moneymaker. They're really good at social media, too, especially with Sonic.

Basically Sega should be a lesson to all major developers, especially Japanese ones, in handling a shifting market properly. Which is surprising, given that until about ten years ago they were gaming's greatest lesson in 'what not to do'. The Great Sonic Crash of '06 caused them to do a stellar job in getting their poo poo together.

I'm nothing short of shocked they survived after the Dreamcast got hosed by the PS2/Xbox. Like, they did some good business to stay alive after that poo poo went down. I'd love to see them make a steam-console or something soon; maybe shaped like one of their old systems or even the dreamcast, but with steambox internals.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

That's the Google fratboy sorority girl / 'creatives' at stuffy companies thing.

At Google, when I went into the buildings, everyone was just out of Stanford and kept decorating their cubes like college dorms.

Also, there's a whole lot of talking heads that speak of the value of play and creativity and those things on a shelf are good 'signifiers' of how creative you are and how you can break the rules and change culture yadda yadda. That's the whole reason for foosball and Segways.

I bet she painstakingly arranged that small bookshelf for hours and hours, and if you picked up one thing to look at it, as soon as you left the office she'd rush to put it right back into it's perfectly curated position.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Tesco and OPEC.
gently caress em both.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Heard Cathode Cathay is stagnating, looking to rebrand. I say get a whole new name for starters.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's hilarious that movie theaters keep adding frills like cushy chairs and dinner menus and all this poo poo when the main reason people don't go to the movies is because dumb assholes talking and playing on their phones during the movie.

We used to have a theater with a one-strike-and-you're-out talking policy and it was packed all the time. Then Carmike bought it and now it's a wasteland of trashy retards playing music on their phones during the movie.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I like how they didn't even bother dusting it off

Just photograph it like that, it's fine, it's a madcatz controller, nobody's going to care

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Automatic Slim posted:

Ahh yes the Carly Fiorino life path

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Toys r us. Up until the early 2000s there were 10 within 20 miles of where I live. They've all closed down.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Don Tacorleone posted:

I want to bend her over that plastic ball and introduce her to my "Yahoo", unnowwattamean
Make her squeal with her hhhngnghnyaghnyagh laughs

I thought it important to post this in case she is reading

I would let her sit on my face.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

It's hilarious that movie theaters keep adding frills like cushy chairs and dinner menus and all this poo poo when the main reason people don't go to the movies is because dumb assholes talking and playing on their phones during the movie.

We used to have a theater with a one-strike-and-you're-out talking policy and it was packed all the time. Then Carmike bought it and now it's a wasteland of trashy retards playing music on their phones during the movie.

I watch all my movies at a theater with recliner seats, nobody under 21 allowed, a strict mobile device policy, and a nice menu that includes alcohol. The tickets cost more, but it is totally worth it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The only time I ever have this problem is when I see horror movies since they attract obnoxious teenagers. I think if anything is causing theaters to die its because they now cost as much too see the movie per person as it would be to actually own it on blu-ray.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
Yeah I gladly pay a little more for 21 and up only, alcohol, nice rear end seats, and assigned seating. My friends all saw the new Star Wars in a regular style theater and showed up 5 hours beforehand to make sure they got good seats. loving scrubs. it's only like $4-5 more anyway.

Seeing a movie in a theater isn't cheap nowadays no matter how you slice it so might as well make it more of an event. I also rarely go to theaters anyway so take that as you will.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

It's also tickets being almost 20 loving dollars as well as every movie being a lovely remake/sequel/AAA CGI LCD clusterfuck

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I mean honestly $20 for the ticket, $20 for drinks. $40.

I'd expect to pay more than that on a typical night out anyway :shrug:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

I remember seeing avengers 2 in theaters and there were so many CGI explosions and over the top fight scenes I legitimately had no idea what was going on for 2 of the 3 hours of the movie

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
well tbh that's your own fault for seeing Avengers 2 in theaters - what did you expect? A good movie?

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

FishionMailed posted:

Yeah but on a typical night out do you just sit in a chair for an hour and a half? A 40 dollar bar tab is a fun night, or that might be like 20 games of bowling or rounds of minigolf or could buy hundreds of hours of entertainment on Steam or 4 months worth of netflix.

There has never been a film worth paying 40 dollars to view. Not in a world where everyone has cheap big screens and surround sound systems at home. Just my opinion though. I guess some people still really enjoy the "theatre going experience"

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

FishionMailed posted:

For that kind of money I'd have a lot more fun bar-hopping as opposed to having strip club priced bud lights while watching zoolander 2

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

Yeah but on a typical night out do you just sit in a chair for an hour and a half? A 40 dollar bar tab is a fun night, or that might be like 20 games of bowling or rounds of minigolf or could buy hundreds of hours of entertainment on Steam or 4 months worth of netflix.

There has never been a film worth paying 40 dollars to view. Not in a world where everyone has cheap big screens and surround sound systems at home. Just my opinion though. I guess some people still really enjoy the "theatre going experience"

A typical movie nowadays is really more like 2hrs at least - some are way longer than that even. Besides in that $40 I'm including chilling in the lobby/bar area drinking a bit with a couple friends before getting to my seat. Plus there's the pre-gaming before hand (smoking or drinking). All in all it would kill at least 4 hours if not more.

It all depends though. I mean yeah you could go bowl a bunch. You could go to a bar instead. As I said I typically go to the movies maybe once or twice a year now because you're right it isn't worth it most of the time but it's still a fun event once in a while. I can't go to the theater every weekend just like I don't want to bowl every weekend or spend every weekend playing Steam games. Variety is the spice of life.

Plus I live in a more expensive area in general so you say $40 bar tab is a fun night, I say that's about 5 beers.

Business Gorillas posted:

For that kind of money I'd have a lot more fun bar-hopping as opposed to having strip club priced bud lights while watching zoolander 2

Right well my point is don't go see Zoolander 2 and then complain that the movie wasn't worth the ticket price because no poo poo. The beer is a good selection usually, at least a couple on tap. Or a nice cocktail or two.

No one is forcing you to get the overpriced poo poo tier beer and then see the shittiest movie possible.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

I remember seeing avengers 2 in theaters and there were so many CGI explosions and over the top fight scenes I legitimately had no idea what was going on for 2 of the 3 hours of the movie

Same. It felt like a great movie, but an hour later, all I remembered was that I can't believe they fridged Quicksilver just to motivate Scarlet Witch and I guess Vision exists now? Oh, and Andy Serkis was totally wasted unless they bring his character back.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
And again you're not doing much bar hopping with $40 around here unless you only drink lovely things like Coors lite exclusively.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Enjoy your three drinks

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

FishionMailed posted:

And again you're not doing much bar hopping with $40 around here unless you only drink lovely things like Coors lite exclusively.

Canada is pretty drat pricey for alcohol but I can get 8 pints of Canadian or whatever for that but I supposed if you only drink premium craft beers they're about 2 bucks more so thats only 6 pints and theres no way to have any fun drinking 6 pints of beer.

I usually hang with my bros in the lobby of the theatre or at the mall food court, because I am still 14 years old.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

vyst posted:

Enjoy your three drinks

I live in Cleveland and I drink rye so $40 is more than enough for a night of heavy drinking.

Doubles of my favorite rye are like $8 :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

reallivedinosaur posted:

Canada is pretty drat pricey for alcohol but I can get 8 pints of Canadian or whatever for that but I supposed if you only drink premium craft beers they're about 2 bucks more so thats only 6 pints and theres no way to have any fun drinking 6 pints of beer.

I usually hang with my bros in the lobby of the theatre or at the mall food court, because I am still 14 years old.

K well it's like $8 a pint here easy most of the time so again it depends where you are like I said.

And yeah 'hanging out in the lobby of the theater' like I'm 13 again playing the Area-51 game. Definitely not sitting at a bar with other adults having a cocktail before the movie starts.

Get over it duders some people like to go to the movies once in a while. I bet you'll freak out but I also like to go see live theater and operas and the ticket prices on those are even higher.

I mean yeah I could only bar hop and bowl and play video games but that gets boring if that's all you do, you know? It's only $40 anyway jfc (assuming you even get drinks there and don't just bring a flask in or something).