Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Xelkelvos posted:

I think it's more of that super science was a hobby for JJ rather than a career and the consumer goods side was financing it. He basically took the practical view rather than Rusty's optimistic view.

Even Gargantua 2 was set up to be a consumer destination rather than scientific station like the first one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

BooDoug187 posted:

I guess you never experenced the horror that was the Nickelodeon show "Winnervile"

It was Weinerville, and I don't recall if they were upside-down ever or not.

I think it was just a bunch of dumb puppetry stuff like this:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

X_Toad posted:

Speaking of JJ, is anyone else a bit surprised by the characterization they seem to have going for him, as someone who focused on consumer goods rather than super-science? The man almost completed a teleporter and built a gigantic space station, clearly he was interested in higher concepts and grand projects!

I think it's mostly a difference in perspective. Sure, Jonas Venture Sr. invented a whole lot of cool crap, but he never shared any of it with the public, apparently. The average consumer has no ability to acquire a shrink-ray or a robot butler or even hover cycles. JJ didn't mind taking military projects (the teleporter, "a sound that kills") for operating capital, but it seems like maybe he wanted the world to benefit from the science that he was heir to. The J-pad apparently could get a data connection good enough to stream video from the jungles of South America.

Rusty, though, thinks this is all pandering. He doesn't give a poo poo what the public thinks of him, as long as his insular community thinks he's great.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Monarch is going to find he's a much more successful superhero than super villain, albeit with the motive of being the villain he wants to be.

Imagine the shenanigans- New York's most threatening superhero and the highest ranking Guild member married and living in the same house. The sitcom writes itself.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

JJ understood that there was more money to be off the Venture name than just the old crap Jonas left lying around. It seems like in this world, Jonas was sort of the first mainstream super scientist. There were heroes before him, but he happened to be THE scientist at just the right time to put himself in the public eye, to go on late night talk shows, to have a cartoon made about himself and his son. Jonas Venture was a household name, and one associated with the cutting edge of technology. But in a world where every schmuck in a cape has a death ray, the inventions Jonas left behind aren't that impressive. JJ was born into that world, he saw that Rusty failed because he tried to imitate Jonas's accomplishments rather than his personality and style, and turned himself into the smiling, public face of Venture once again.

Rusty never had that option, because he didn't know his father as the smiling, public face. Rusty knew him as the therapist who was more interested in defending himself during sessions than listening to Rusty, who would rather get laid and go on adventures with his friends than spend time with his son. JJ was never privy to the dark underbelly of Super Science like Rusty was, he was free to idealize Jonas as a man who did his darndest to make the world a better place instead of a seeing him as a lovely dad.

EDIT: I want to find out that JJ was trying to reboot the Rusty Venture cartoon.

Pepe Silvia Browne fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 9, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I am a bit worried that this will destroy the relationship between The Monarch and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch. If he starts killing villains and anyone finds out it's him, people are going to suspect she's teamed up with him and using her position to sell out villains.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cojawfee posted:

I am a bit worried that this will destroy the relationship between The Monarch and Dr. Mrs. The Monarch. If he starts killing villains and anyone finds out it's him, people are going to suspect she's teamed up with him and using her position to sell out villains.

Somehow I doubt this, because it would make the show dramatic and 'serious,' when for the past five seasons it's been anything but.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ithaqua posted:

You mean like the time he used HELPR as a mobile dialysis machine? :v:

That was what I thought the moment I heard the words "plug-in replaceable kidneys" come out of Rusty's mouth.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

All the things he suggested are already venture inventions. Helper, the moving sidewalks inside his old house, the computer controlled (atomic?) trains / subway system in the MoM complex.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are all destroyed now, so he can reinvent them.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

LostRook posted:

I still trying to figure out how Wide Wale is a top tier villain with only 40 henchman, 4 personal guards and a barnacle encrusted valet.

Probably the location, it's easier to accomplish a crime in New York with 40 henchmen on the payroll than it is with ~100 in the Grand Canyon.

(I like it that he took the Sperm Whale Tank when he lives/operates right across the street from Venture's place.)

Plus he has connections with the other New York villains whereas The Monarch burns whatever bridges he can from the looks of it.

Also, he's a clear King Pin parody, so maybe he hires extra help when needed? 0-Hour contract henchmen?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

LashLightning posted:

Also, he's a clear King Pin parody, so maybe he hires extra help when needed? 0-Hour contract henchmen?

We haven't really seen much of the Mercenary world beyond Molotov's Blackhearts and the guys Brock kills at the end of Season 3. 21 could make a killing.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

FamDav posted:

Post credits prank

More than just the post-credits scene. The whole misdirection ploy they set up with the lighting and the Aztec mask were modeled from the modern edutainment facility playbook. Hatred was doing a pretty good impression of the relentlessly earnest tone of the audio tour voice on the lobby recording.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Brightman posted:

It was Weinerville, and I don't recall if they were upside-down ever or not.

I think it was just a bunch of dumb puppetry stuff like this:

He had one or two characters that were the upside down chin puppets. I tried to find a clip but the ones I found were so annoying that I couldnt watch the whole clip.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I loved Pete dicking around with the hair gel. It was just such a goofy but in character thing to do. Also the intro to their show was pretty fantastic, though I don't think it was referencing anything specific, unless it was a Fantastic Four cartoon, it having Cloudactus.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Has anyone gotten their week 1 shirt?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Thanks for the terrible middle school flashbacks.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Maybe I wasn't paying as much attention, but the score and the cuts between scenes are so starkly different this season due to them playing up the NYC/comicbook stuff.

I love Robo-Bo, so it was a great surprise to see him again last night. It sounds like a lot of people aren't big fans of St Cloud, which I am surprised to hear. I just love hearing Billy's indignant reactions to everything he does. Plus we got the Harryhausen scene last season, so he as been entirely worth it for just that.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Has anyone gotten their week 1 shirt?

They don't start printing them until after the orders close. For the last shirt club I started getting shirts after a couple of weeks.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Havoc904 posted:

It sounds like a lot of people aren't big fans of St Cloud, which I am surprised to hear. I just love hearing Billy's indignant reactions to everything he does.

Well, that's actually what bugs some of us: every single St. Cloud interaction is the same. There'll be some thing that Billy wants or needs, either for personal or plot reasons. St. Cloud owns it. Confrontation. St. Cloud spouts off some smarmy commentary that's filled with minutia that's almost, but not totally, accurate. Billy corrects him, either before or after stating that the object in question shouldn't be in St. Cloud's personal collection, but instead available for everyone to enjoy (like in a museum or something). Something happens, and Billy (and Pete) get the object.

It never really expands beyond that. Sure, sometimes the object has an important function to the plot, like in What Color is Your Cleansuit?, but the St. Cloud bits always play out the same way. The only difference this time, in fact, was that we saw him actively abusing one of the collectibles. It wasn't the one at issue, though.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

If that's what St Cloud does with Henrietta, I don't want to see what he does with Lady Elaine...

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Doc and Publick were clearly playing with the notion that the entire conceit was tired and then promptly blew it up, so whether you liked St. Cloud or not, that chapter is done.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Servaetes posted:

I... I have cuttlefish...

GIVE ME THE ..... the cuttlefish.... :doh:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

It looks like Wide Wale was annoyed that his windows were broken and that drove him to pick up Dr. Venture as an arch. If he knew the Monarch killed his brother, why did he not bat an eye at Mrs. Monarch?

The Monarch is probably gonna brag about how he killed Dr. Dugong once he realizes the two were related. And land himself in a world of hurt.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Or he hates his brother and is happy he's gone.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

twistedmentat posted:

Or he hates his brother and is happy he's gone.

Yeah I mean, the brother did decide to go good guy while Wale went guild villain

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In the episode, it says they both joined the guild. Maybe Dr. Dugong was evil and then decided to go good. I don't know why the GCI would let him leave and even give him an arch, but whatever.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

In the episode, it says they both joined the guild. Maybe Dr. Dugong was evil and then decided to go good. I don't know why the GCI would let him leave and even give him an arch, but whatever.

No, Hatred says "One of the Om brothers--"

So it was only Wide Wale who joined the Guild.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

fishmech posted:

Yeah I mean, the brother did decide to go good guy while Wale went guild villain

Probably got all of his stuff. I mean, Dr Dugong had his own Spy Who Loved Me base, must have had some money.

"I got all his cuttlefish, they were delicious!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pick posted:

No, Hatred says "One of the Om brothers--"

So it was only Wide Wale who joined the Guild.

Oh, I thought he said "When the Ong brothers joined the guild in 87."

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

grilldos posted:

Doc and Publick were clearly playing with the notion that the entire conceit was tired and then promptly blew it up, so whether you liked St. Cloud or not, that chapter is done.

That's probably why Pete and Billy don't even bother to correct him on his minutiae this time.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Jerusalem posted:

GIVE ME THE ..... the cuttlefish.... :doh:

He's such a weenis!

Loving this season so far.

Macatt
May 3, 2005
Does anyone else have issues understanding dialogue in this show? I feel like I miss maybe 5% of what's said in most episodes. I'll rewind it, but still not be able to make it out. I noticed this even way back when season one was first airing, and it's continued to be an issue for me even as I've used a plethora of different speakers and viewing setups over the years. I don't have this problem with any other show.

One thing I've become aware of is how often characters are interrupted by sound effects or another character talking over them. Sometimes I can attribute the problem to those things, but not always.

Examples that come to mind:

- Brock during his OSI license renewal exam, when he refuses to use the gun. Another goon posted this very clip just a couple pages back, and the title of the video finally revealed to me what he says: "Guns are fruity." For over a decade I had no idea what Brock truly said. I had settled on, "Guns are for pussies/wussies," but was never sure. Even now, knowing what he actually says, as I re-watch the clip, I still barely hear it correctly.

- In the latest episode, where 21, the Monarch, and Dr. His Wife are at the kitchen table. 21 begins to say something before being totally talked over and ultimately cut off by Dr. Mrs. I replayed it a bunch of times, and couldn't make out any of what he was saying.

- The infamous clothes/clones line. For such an important piece dialogue -- both the ending note of the season and a critical cliffhanger plot-wise -- it's weird how no one responsible for voice direction/editing noticed the ambiguity. And in this case I know it's not just me, since this was a huge point of debate among many viewers back in the day. (I sometimes wonder if they purposefully made/left the line unclear to cause mass confusion and intrigue among fans until season two.)

- A lot of what Killinger says.

Don't get me wrong, I love the show's voice acting, save for the clarity issues.

Macatt fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 1, 2021

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

It tickles me that Pirate has been around since season 1 and none of us have ever really questioned the fact that he has no name.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

apowe posted:

Don't get me wrong, I love the show's voice acting, save for the clarity issues.

Watch every episode twice. Once 'naked,' and the second with closed captions.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Sash! posted:

It tickles me that Pirate has been around since season 1 and none of us have ever really questioned the fact that he has no name.

Hearing the characters talking to him calling him "Pirate" felt really weird because I didn't think anybody had directly addressed him by "name" before.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

GNU Order posted:

Hearing the characters talking to him calling him "Pirate" felt really weird because I didn't think anybody had directly addressed him by "name" before.

He was totally "captain", at least in the one museum episode. Doc questioning him being called pirate was really good though.

Captain. CAAAAAPTAIN. Where is my captain?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

apowe posted:

-In the latest episode, where 21, the Monarch, and Dr. His Wife are at the kitchen table. 21 begins to say something before being totally talked over and ultimately cut off by Dr. Mrs. I replayed it a bunch of times, and couldn't make out any of what he was saying.

He says:

"But if we"

"Wait, low arching level?"

"Right, , you know that"

Have you had your hearing checked? I've got hearing loss and I can barely understand what they say sometimes but it seems like you're having way more trouble than me.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

apowe posted:

I think so too, the characters seem to speak in a far more manic manner than other shows. That and I don't think any other show has so many lines said by somebody muttering under their breath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Yeah not to be a weirdo on the internet but that's pretty much how it felt as my hearing damage/tinnitus got worse.

And uh for thread content, is pink pilgrim a reference to anything? Or just a safe outfit for gay albinos?