Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
I haven't been, but a friend has had it happen three times (she works nearby so goes there for business lunches sometimes).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Off to Big Easy at the wharf. Any recommendations food wise?

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Had a killer dinner at Brawn last night. Wonderful unfussy cooking, lovely but not cloying staff, not cheap but sensible pricing. Oh and Keira Knightely was sat next to us so apparently it's where A-listers go to eat good food without being annoyed by see-and-be-seen clientele.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Found an Ethiopian restaurant to rival the food at Gojo. Zeret Kitchen, SE5. Completely and utterly unexpected, and turns out Ethiopian shiraz is decent!

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Kaiho posted:

Found an Ethiopian restaurant to rival the food at Gojo. Zeret Kitchen, SE5. Completely and utterly unexpected, and turns out Ethiopian shiraz is decent!

Ooh, I might have to check that out soon. Do they do derek tibs??

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Oh hey, I know that guy! I love Derek Tibs.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Yes they do. Derek all the way

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
AHHHHGGGG WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO OPEN THE BREWER STREET CHILANGO!?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Just go to Tortilla, it's miles better

Lloyddy
Sep 27, 2000

Burrito places in order of bestness

1. Benitos Hat (you even get free chips woo)
2. Daddy Donkey
3. Chilango
4. Tortilla (sorry Kaiho)
5. Freebird
500. Barburrito
1000. Chipotle

Any I've missed?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lloyddy posted:

2. Daddy Donkey
3. Chilango
5. Freebird
500. Barburrito
1000. Chipotle

Any I've missed?

1. Luardos van.

Empereur Norton
Feb 28, 2013
I've got a pal from the states visiting for a couple of days and want to show them a pretty good time without making them skint for the rest of their time in europe, beers wise I know a few places but for food I'm not sure. Luckily it'll be half term so lunch time bookings are do-able. I've booked Piquets, has anyone got an opinion? I was also thinking about Apollo Banana Leaf in tooting for something that's hard to find in the states as well. We'll be based in Wimbledon if there's anything more local that I'm missing out..

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

Empereur Norton posted:

I've got a pal from the states visiting for a couple of days and want to show them a pretty good time without making them skint for the rest of their time in europe, beers wise I know a few places but for food I'm not sure. Luckily it'll be half term so lunch time bookings are do-able. I've booked Piquets, has anyone got an opinion? I was also thinking about Apollo Banana Leaf in tooting for something that's hard to find in the states as well. We'll be based in Wimbledon if there's anything more local that I'm missing out..

I completely loved Piquet. One of those places it's impossible to imagine someone have a bad experience. Cracking value for the early dinner menu I had too.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Lloyddy posted:

2. Daddy Donkey
3. Chilango
5. Freebird
500. Barburrito
1000. Chipotle

Any I've missed?

You rate Freebird over Chipotle? Freebird literally tastes like catfood.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I'm gonna be based in Shoreditch for the next few months and I'm looking for lunch spots. I've already eyeballed a couple of places from wandering round Spitalfields market, but is there anywhere else I should go?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm gonna be based in Shoreditch for the next few months and I'm looking for lunch spots. I've already eyeballed a couple of places from wandering round Spitalfields market, but is there anywhere else I should go?

There's a bunch of good food trucks around the Truman Brewery.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I am a big fan of Arancini Brothers' salads.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Let's talk steaks. I've booked a table for Hawksmoor on Monday, but I've now realised their set menu isn't available after 6:30 until 10:30pm again, and I'm a little too broke to pay full price there.

So where's slightly more reasonable but still good for steak?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Flat Iron.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012
Zelman Meats in Soho is apparently good value, though I haven't been there myself.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

The above two posts are truth.

There's also the Argentinian place in Islington, they used to do half priced steaks on Mondays/Tuesdays.

Or with a bit of investment, you can do it yourself any night of the week. Steakhouses are overrated.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Went here, was drat good. And free ice cream!

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Went to Hoppers in Soho for lunch today, can confirm it totally lives up to the hype. All the food was incredibly spicy, rich and unctuous. The stand out dishes for me were the bone marrow varuval (sorta like a bone marrow curry) with an extra roti to mop it up with and the black pork kari. I'm already planning on going again soon.

A word of warning: there was a 30 strong queue outside at 11:45am for 12pm opening and it's only a tiny place. Service was really quick though.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I will be in London in early June attending a conference at the Olympia and I have to take a train from Euston Station after dinner at one point.

Are there any hole-in-the-wall places in those areas that serve food that doesn't take ages to come? Olympia and surroundings lunch tips would be appreciated, plus I need to get dinner near Euston station, where my train leaves at 20:30 on a Thursday, if it matters what weekday it is (for food carts etc.).

I loved Pie Minister's pies and similar "British" food is definitely appreciated. A recommendation where to get some "good" jellied eel would be nice. It is supposedly awful but I want to try it anyway. (This one is not area specific, can be anywhere really.)

And is Trinity Wharf a good place to get dinner? I want to go see the lighthouse anyway.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Euston is basically at the top of Tottenham Court Road, upon which I'd recommend Franco Manca for very good pizza.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
Or if you're in a real hurry, Ribman has a stand at Euston now.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Euston is also right by Drummond St. where very good curry can be had.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That pizza looks fantastic and proper curry is always good as well.

I won't be in a hurry per se, but I'd rather not spend 2 hours dining. I'd just like to make the most of the time I have to take in the city, I just love roaming the streets in London and discovering new stuff every time I am there.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Franco Manca is both really good and absurdly cheap for London, too.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Lemon-Lime posted:

Franco Manca is both really good and absurdly cheap for London, too.

Going by the Soho one, you can be in and out in little over half an hour too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Going by the Soho one, you can be in and out in little over half an hour too.

The Clapham Junction one is 15mn from my flat and that's usually about right, yeah. It's closer to 45mn when they're packed because it takes them about 10mn to get your orders in.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

Hopper posted:

I will be in London in early June attending a conference at the Olympia and I have to take a train from Euston Station after dinner at one point.

Are there any hole-in-the-wall places in those areas that serve food that doesn't take ages to come? Olympia and surroundings lunch tips would be appreciated, plus I need to get dinner near Euston station, where my train leaves at 20:30 on a Thursday, if it matters what weekday it is (for food carts etc.).

I loved Pie Minister's pies and similar "British" food is definitely appreciated. A recommendation where to get some "good" jellied eel would be nice. It is supposedly awful but I want to try it anyway. (This one is not area specific, can be anywhere really.)

And is Trinity Wharf a good place to get dinner? I want to go see the lighthouse anyway.

For pies check out green pea in Greenwich. No jellied eels. It's usually top 10 in all of London on TripAdvisor with usually perfect reviews. I've been in Greenwich for almost 2 years and finally tried it and cannot get enough.

2 words of warning though. It's a full evening affair as it's a very slow paced British Irish dinner. Booking in advance is highly recommended and requires calling the owner, Tom.

The good news is that a main pie with potato veg and gravy is 12 quid and the best food I've had in London so far. Tom is also a badass and the best host I've had in London.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

For jellied eels, check out Borough Market. Several of the seafood stalls there have the vile stuff.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Any recommendations for date spots around Soho or Covent Garden? Ideally somewhere where conversation is possible 6-8pm on a Thursday?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Brasserie Zedel is on the edge of Soho. It's fancy without being pricey. Pierre Victoire on Dean St is also nice.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

BizarroAzrael posted:

Any recommendations for date spots around Soho or Covent Garden? Ideally somewhere where conversation is possible 6-8pm on a Thursday?
Drinks or dinner? Hawksmoor on Air Street or in Covent Garden works for both. Air Street one will be quieter.
The French House is fun, too. For drinks that is.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Brasserie Zedel is on the edge of Soho. It's fancy without being pricey. Pierre Victoire on Dean St is also nice.

Not been in the actual Brasserie, I've taken girls to the Bar Americain cocktail bar though, which was decent. Think it will be busy on a Thursday but I'll look at it. Just trying to get away from the same few spots (there and the Arts Theatre Club)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

Andrew Edmunds and Aurora, both on Lexington.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Defo Piquet. Classy, quiet, reasonable, great food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So all my RL friends have disappeared for the easter break.
Where does a lone person go for a good dinner eats in London?

(oh god im spending my birthday alone)