Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Crazyeyes posted:

I bought a Marmot last time at rei but returned it two days later cause it discolored in the rain and looked grungy as hell after a single rain. Was not pleased. I take it that's not common in their products?

We have 3 Marmot Precip jackets (in blue, black, and dark gray), and the colors are all the same as day one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I thought that this bottle pressurizer looked like a cool little gizmo for the trail. Would be good for cooling off, cleaning stuff, spraying your friends, etc. Probably not very great for desert hiking though!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIČRE IN ME
would be great for cooling off on a hot desert hike, assuming you had more water than you needed!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm sorry, but that first picture is loving hilarious.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Blinkman987 posted:

For winter backpacking temperature range from 20 F to -10 F, tonight our group leader emphasized that one wants a bigger, puffier down jacket. I have the following and hoping to get away with not buying a massive down jacket that I might only use once.

Patagonia r1, nano air, micro puff vest, and down sweater (sup employee discount) and a lightweight gore tex shell. I should be able to get by at night sitting around camp with some combo of those, yes?

To keep stuff like your sleeping bag dry, do you trust the "waterproof" compression sacks? I was reading the "keep your critical gear dry" article online and it was hard to wrap my head around. Seemed very spergy and basically like no option was actually good, but it was also around 8 years old. Fwiw, I picked up one of these super cheap to check it out: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/granite-gear-event-sil-compression-dry-sack-18l~p~7018x/?filterString=s~waterproof-sack%2F&colorFamily=02

maybe i'm just doing it wrong but i just put a trash bag in my backpack, put all the things i want to keep dry inside the trash bag, and cut off the excess with a razor knife. you want to leave a little excess material and stretch it at the top, so you can give it a 4-corner tie like with a contractor bag. i guess it may weigh more than whatever fancy things they sell for keeping things dry, but i've never had it fail me & then i can use it to pack out trash on my way back.

black.lion posted:

Can I get a quick opinion on Native boots? I'd be using them for short-ish day hikes, likely not more than 5 or 6 miles at a time.

i have a few of these, i wouldn't use them for any sort of hiking because they're not very durable and probably wouldn't last very long. they're decently waterproof but not breathable at all. they weigh like nothing though. i can't think of a single situation where i would want to wear those over a trail running shoe, where a proper waterproof boot wouldn't be vastly superior.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I leave for my wilderness survival course tomorrow morning, and the weather's going to be completely tolerable :dance: Looking at a low of -7C/20F which is completely warm as far as I'm concerned.

The course was pretty standard stuff: knots, lashings, shelter design location and orientation, fire starting, building a survival kit in a coffee tin, Les Straud videos. Then some case study scenarios where we argue about ranking items of importance and should we leave or stay. Student presentations on interesting outdoor/bushcraft topics of our choice. I chose reading clouds to predict weather. As far as luxury items it's basically things like a sleeping bag, a couple of handwarmer packets, space blanket, or an emergency shovel. I doubt anyone is bringing that last one, it's been really warm with zero precipitation so there won't be enough snowpack for snow caves or quinzhees. Things that are restricted are axes/hatches, tents, pillows, stoves, meals, and teddy bears. We're allowed one protein/clif bar and a bunch of electrolyte supplements.

Another bonus, albeit a depressing one, is the area we're headed has been flagged for clearcutting :( so now we can be completely wasteful with our resources for fire and shelter if we want.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

maybe i'm just doing it wrong but i just put a trash bag in my backpack, put all the things i want to keep dry inside the trash bag, and cut off the excess with a razor knife. you want to leave a little excess material and stretch it at the top, so you can give it a 4-corner tie like with a contractor bag. i guess it may weigh more than whatever fancy things they sell for keeping things dry, but i've never had it fail me & then i can use it to pack out trash on my way back.

i have a few of these, i wouldn't use them for any sort of hiking because they're not very durable and probably wouldn't last very long. they're decently waterproof but not breathable at all. they weigh like nothing though. i can't think of a single situation where i would want to wear those over a trail running shoe, where a proper waterproof boot wouldn't be vastly superior.

Lining your pack with a trash bag is AFAIK what everyone does - its definitely better than whatever waterproof top layers they sell for backpacks - great for all your layers etc.. For a sleeping bag though I definitely like an event compression sack

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I keep a decent amount of stuff in the outside mesh pocket of my pack so I like something that goes over the entire pack rather than just protects inside (plus soggy backpack doesn't sound fun to me) but I don't really often hike in a lot of places where rains so much consistently that inside or outside would matter

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

marsisol posted:

So I'm headed to Utah in early May and am planning on spending 2 days in each of Zion, Bryce, Arches, and Canyonlands. I know that you could spend weeks in each one, but I'm just doing a tour. That being said, any good recommendations for fun, 1-2 day hikes in any of them?

Good to know you'll spend two days in Zion. Consider staying 3, as this park is incredible. I recommend The Narrows if no rain is on the forecast. In my experience I spent one and a half days in Zion and devoted an entire day to the Narrows - which was amazing but I regret not seeing more of the park instead of spending most of my time between the walls of a canyon (I'm big into landscape photography, for the record). I only scratched the surface of this place. It felt like it was in Africa or something.

Arches and Bryce are great. You're going to have a blast.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Vomik posted:

Lining your pack with a trash bag is AFAIK what everyone does - its definitely better than whatever waterproof top layers they sell for backpacks - great for all your layers etc.. For a sleeping bag though I definitely like an event compression sack

I use trash compactor bags (thick, and not enormous) as a liner, and then I still use a pack cover to keep the outside of the pack reasonably dry, or at least not completely saturated. It's redundant, but the liner only weighs about an ounce.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
Found a 2p store-brand tent with 1 vestibule that weighs 4 pounds and 5 ounces for about 100€. That's without footprint. It has "ultralight" in its name but I guess that's just marketing. Thinking about getting it as babby's first tent for solo overnighters. Would I be better off if I'd spend more and get a lighter one? We can get Marmot tents here in Belgium I think, but they're nearly three times more expensive and only cut about half the weight. Budget isn't really an issue, it's just that I'm not sure I'm ready to spend that much money on a fairly fragile piece of equipment.

Allegory of the Rave
Dec 4, 2009
I bought a pair of north face boots over a year ago and the black part on each foot at the sides (as seen here far left of the toe) has started to come away ever so slightly. How do I fix this so it doesn't get any worse?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cement it back, and don't keep your feet near camp fires.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

theroachman posted:

Found a 2p store-brand tent with 1 vestibule that weighs 4 pounds and 5 ounces for about 100€. That's without footprint. It has "ultralight" in its name but I guess that's just marketing. Thinking about getting it as babby's first tent for solo overnighters. Would I be better off if I'd spend more and get a lighter one? We can get Marmot tents here in Belgium I think, but they're nearly three times more expensive and only cut about half the weight. Budget isn't really an issue, it's just that I'm not sure I'm ready to spend that much money on a fairly fragile piece of equipment.

You're probably best buying a cheap tent to start out with, so you can start getting out sooner and start tailoring your gear to what you want. 4.5 lbs isn't much heavier than more expensive tents anyways.

Besides, that way you won't feel so bad about wasting money on something you'll never use again once you switch over to a hammock in a year or two anyways.

Magazines posted:

I bought a pair of north face boots over a year ago and the black part on each foot at the sides (as seen here far left of the toe) has started to come away ever so slightly. How do I fix this so it doesn't get any worse?

Ditto on the fire, heat reactivates the glue

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Well, I'm back after my survival course, and I'm pretty sure we were blessed with the best February weather any winter survival group could ask for. It didn't get below -7C/20F. There was zero breeze. I only lit a fire shortly before dawn because after 10 hours laying on my pine bough bed my feet actually got pretty cold. No one whistled the emergency whistle which is a first for our instructor who teaches it 3 times a year for 6 years.

There was some drama though. Some drunk people showed up in the woods in the middle of the night and started firing guns randomly. One bullet hit a tree less than 20 feet from one girl's shelter. Our prof called the RCMP on her sat phone because we were out of cell range. They ended up taking off when her assistants yelled at them.

Aside from that it was such a perfect night and I loved the hell out of it.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
(In movie guy voice)

Six hiking students take part in a survival course go out for the weekend, only to have their skills pushed to the limit ...

Hypothermia, bears and bullets!

Mother nature isn't the only killer in the woods.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
So took a little hike over the summer , found this thread and decided to share some pictures of my hike on the window mountain lake trail, in the Crowsnest pass area in Alberta around hwy 3ish.

Album link

Simple hike, the trail sometimes had a gaps from water erosion in it so had to be careful otherwise you might fall halfway down the mountain. My first "real" hike in a while and my first solo hike at least 2 hours from civilization and 1 hour from help. The remoteness of it made me reconsider my packing and size of backpack after I got there since I got cold feet during parts of it for my slight under preparedness. Critique on my packing?

Wearing:
regular shorts
running shoes
hat
cotton tshirt
regular shirt
sunglasses
watch
sunscreen SPF 35 if I remember correctly
bug spray

My packing list:
Back pack (was full to the brim)
(1) 750 mL water bottle
(4) 500 mL disposable water bottles
Flashlight
Multitool
Regular weather jacket (not sure how to describe but it sucks if the weather goes below 0 C)
rain jacket (combined with the regular jacket makes it acceptable below 0 C)
4 granola bars

things I know I should have brought;
Lighter
Signalling something
anti bear something

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Hiked to Mt Lowe and back this past Saturday. It was surprisingly easy. The only physically demanding part was the final hike up to the peak from the crossroads. This peak was cool because they had those metal pipes labeled and if you looked through them, you could see all the other peaks. There were some other pipes at Inspiration Point, but the one labeled "Ostrich Farm" lied. NO OSTRICHES!!!!

I did do the entire 15mi hike on 3 hours sleep and was fine, but then devoured a burrito on my drive home, and proceeded to sleep 15 hours straight. Next up, learning scrambling at Joshua Tree.

Everyone's least favorite part about the 10 essentials on a dayhike is having to carry a bivy or some rain pants/rain jacket, right? Come on, guys. Nobody's going to do that within the context with which we did our hike.

Shoutout to the Houdini jacket though. Holy poo poo, I use that thing all the time and to the people who spoke to its durability-- you were right. This thing isn't made for bushwacking, but it's far more durable than one would assume just feeling the material.

HarryPurvis
Sep 20, 2006
That reminds me of a story...

Blinkman987 posted:

I did do the entire 15mi hike on 3 hours sleep and was fine, but then devoured a burrito on my drive home, and proceeded to sleep 15 hours straight. Next up, learning scrambling at Joshua Tree.

Everyone's least favorite part about the 10 essentials on a dayhike is having to carry a bivy or some rain pants/rain jacket, right? Come on, guys. Nobody's going to do that within the context with which we did our hike.

Shoutout to the Houdini jacket though. Holy poo poo, I use that thing all the time and to the people who spoke to its durability-- you were right. This thing isn't made for bushwacking, but it's far more durable than one would assume just feeling the material.

Man, I bet some of your group leads to day hikes with full 50L packs. I know a few of mine did.

A lot of it is overkill, but sometimes it ends up being necessary. Like having a rain jacket. Most times in SoCal you wont need it. But then you'll go out one day, get to a summit with 40mph gusts, and that rain jacket is now your best friend for its wind shedding properties.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

they also make wind jackets that are lighter weight/less expensive and do the same thing!

No point in taking both though, so they're really only useful if you're sure it's not going to rain but it might be cool and windy

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Blinkman987 posted:

You only need waterproofs if you're hiking into a forecast, or a lack of reliable forecast. A puffy is a much better investment on a nice weather dayhike.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Thanks. I'll try to clear that up with my group leader, whether or not they expect us to carry waterproofs. I did just in case, but the group leaders seemed reasonable enough. Never know when someone's going to be a stickler for the rules. All the leaders definitely carried 50L packs. I assume a good deal of it was water for anybody who didn't bring enough.

Wind jackets are the nuts. Probably my favorite thing to wear at all times, even if it is neon green =)

A Horse Named Mandy
Feb 9, 2007
Took an overnight hike up Mount Diablo in the SF Bay Area over this weekend. We'd wanted to get to the top for a while, which you can actually drive up to the entire way since it's basically just a giant hill (it was originally named Monte del Diablo, meaning Devil's thicket, and was mistranslated to Mount by the English). However, it'd been over a month since our last hike and we with the recent El Nino rains, the usually brown landscape was absurdly green, so we decided to ascend the long way with a trip through 9 miles of the surrounding foothills. It was forecasted to be sunny and warm, but based on our experience on Mt. Langley (which admittedly has over 10,000 feet on Diablo), we packed our softshells. We got a late start on Saturday, but it was a beautiful walk through lush hills that, as we hiked higher, revealed increasingly more of the Bay Area and eventually even the Central Valley.

One issue though, is despite the fact we were ascending over 3,000 feet, there were no switchbacks the entire trail. I've seen people in this thread mention conditions like this on the east coast, but as a native Californian, this was unheard of and I had no idea what a difference it makes. We would climb a hill at what felt like a 40 degree angle, praying for another traverse because at least those were only 20 degrees.

Even though it was only 8 miles and 6 hours to our camp, half that time was spent on the last 2 miles. Luckily this was all during a spectacularly gold and red twilight, followed by the glow of the surrounding metropolis.

The campground was just a couple hundred feet from the summit, so we had a view straight to SF from our site. At the time, it was warm with a light breeze. By the time we laid down for bed, the tent was creaking and flapping from stiff breezes every couple minutes. By morning, the flapping was nonstop and my poor 3-season tent was bowing in and testing the limits of DAC aluminum. We finished our hike to the top for somehow even more views. Also wind, lot's of wind.

From this point you can supposedly see Yosemite on a good day, and even the peak of Lassen peaking over the horizon on a great day. While we couldn’t make either of those out, we could see the south bay down to San Jose, the north bay up to Napa, the central valley from Madera to Sacramento, and most of the Sierras peeking out above the smog. As for the wind, the ranger reported conditions were 50-60mph, with gusts as high as 73! Here’s an attempt to drink from a water fountain. What we couldn’t capture was the water flying 20 feet downwind.

The was a parking lot right at the top, but our car was 9 miles away. We had no choice but to hike down 4000’ of knee-crushing inclines, along ridges narrow enough to force you to take a knee or risk being bowled hundreds of feet downhill by the next gust. That was how we spent the next 5 hours.

After Hermit’s Rest, the Narrows, and even Kalalau, this may have been the hardest hike we’ve ever done. So yes, always bring your waterproofs.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Has anyone tried a bivvy with their hammock instead of an underquilt? My roommate does this apparently sleeps fine in ~20 degree F weather, but I haven't really heard of anyone else doing it. He uses the bivvy from one of those military 3 piece bags.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

eSporks posted:

Has anyone tried a bivvy with their hammock instead of an underquilt? My roommate does this apparently sleeps fine in ~20 degree F weather, but I haven't really heard of anyone else doing it. He uses the bivvy from one of those military 3 piece bags.

I've got one, but I've never used it with my underquilt because it's heavy and doesn't offer much benefit in terms of insulation. I don't think a bivvy would be adequate for 70° weather, let alone 20°.

I do, however, use a Dutch gear hammock sock to block wind, and that adds maybe another ten degrees of warmth, not to mention making my underquilt more effective by blocking gaps. Plus it's nice because I can leave my tarp hung in its snakeskins if it doesn't look like rain, so I can get a view of the night sky from the comfort of the hammock

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

One issue though, is despite the fact we were ascending over 3,000 feet, there were no switchbacks the entire trail. I've seen people in this thread mention conditions like this on the east coast, but as a native Californian, this was unheard of and I had no idea what a difference it makes.

Looks like a great trip! I might be wrong on this, but I thought one purpose of switchbacks (beyond being easier and safer to hike) was to help prevent erosion from rain. There's a lot of old abandoned roads and trails out in the foothills of Appalachia, and anything that's a straight line is rutted and gutted to hell and back.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

eSporks posted:

I've wondered about this, but never tried it. It's interesting to hear from someone who does it and is satisfied with the results.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

I've got one, but I've never used it with my underquilt because it's heavy and doesn't offer much benefit in terms of insulation. I don't think a bivvy would be adequate for 70° weather, let alone 20°.
To clarify, he uses a bag too. The bivvy is just used for extra warmth and to block the wind on his back.
In the spring/summer he sleeps in his bag on top of the bivvy. In the winter he is inside the bivvy.
It seems to work for him, but I am really skeptical since I haven't heard of anyone else doing it.

I usually just use a bag and a reflectrix pad, but my back gets really chilly once it gets near freezing. I'd like to find some cold weather solutions that avoid the bulk of an underquilt.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I don't understand how a bivy adds significant warmth to a hammock. Sure, goretex is going to block wind from reaching you, but it doesn't do anything about heat loss through a compressed sleeping bag and the bottom of the hammock.

Is your friend stuffing sleeping pads into their bivy? That's what I do when I use one on the ground. It sounds like they are carrying an unnecessary hammock, to be honest.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

turevidar posted:

I don't understand how a bivy adds significant warmth to a hammock. Sure, goretex is going to block wind from reaching you, but it doesn't do anything about heat loss through a compressed sleeping bag and the bottom of the hammock.

Is your friend stuffing sleeping pads into their bivy? That's what I do when I use one on the ground. It sounds like they are carrying an unnecessary hammock, to be honest.

vapor barrier? dunno

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

turevidar posted:

Hammocks are comfy. No sleeping pad. I don't really understand how it works either, but it seems to and that's why I brought if up. It could just be that he doesn't mind his back being cold.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Someone a few pages back expressed interest in a book I was editing about Ron Melchiore, who now lives off grid in the wilds of Saskatchewan. Leading up to this, he also hiked the entire Appalachian Trail in the winter and later rode his bike across the US. The book (Off Grid and Free: My Path to the Wilderness) is now published.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

turevidar posted:

Zero mass flow and trapping insulating air, since it's never actually flush with the bottom of the hammock.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Mount Diablo stuff

What trailhead and route did you guys take to the top? Kind of interested in doing it this weekend and would love to see some of the same stuff you showed in your photographs, those looked really cool.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Desmond posted:

Someone a few pages back expressed interest in a book I was editing about Ron Melchiore, who now lives off grid in the wilds of Saskatchewan. Leading up to this, he also hiked the entire Appalachian Trail in the winter and later rode his bike across the US. The book (Off Grid and Free: My Path to the Wilderness) is now published.

This is awesome. Congrats on publishing your book!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Desmond posted:

Awesome. I just picked up a copy.

But tell him to hit the cover artist with a stick. Seriously, if the dude needs some cover advice I can point him to some really great (and affordable) designers. It's a really lovely cover.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

What are all of your favorite non-valley car campgrounds in Yosemite? Thinking of going in late May/early June and have only stayed in the valley!

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Yooper posted:

Awesome. I just picked up a copy.

But tell him to hit the cover artist with a stick. Seriously, if the dude needs some cover advice I can point him to some really great (and affordable) designers. It's a really lovely cover.

Cool. I PM'd you (we can move the discussion there).

Relative to hiking, I recently listened to John Denver while running the Coquitlam River Trail. I liked it. shoot me now!

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

John Denver has his place. He was a starry-eyed hippie, but the guy loved the mountains and the outdoors. You could do a lot worse.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

khysanth posted:

What are all of your favorite non-valley car campgrounds in Yosemite? Thinking of going in late May/early June and have only stayed in the valley!

I've only camped at Tuolumne Meadows and it wasn't bad even though it's a pretty big campground with lots of sites, etc. Good access to trails and stuff near there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

king of the bongo
Apr 26, 2008

If you're brown, GET DOWN!
I am heading out to san diego by la jolla area in april/may. Any must do day hikes up by there that I should not miss? How bad are the crowds by there, as trip reports say some places get pretty packed. I'm there for a week or so and then may head towards mexico (south of tijuana) if there are any spots there that people can recommend. Thanks.