Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

My cable reseller connection kept dying. I'd better go with the competitor that supplies it!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Counterpoint: I switched from Teksavvy after eight years due to the changes to plans and ongoing reliability/congestion issues, I no longer have massive peak hour slowdowns or random connection drops

YMMV.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"We no longer throttle individual customers. Why, that would be illegal! Now we throttle the resellers en masse." :smugbert:

Rogers delenda est

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
TBF the peak hours slowdowns on Teksavvy cable have nothing to do with throttling or node congestion, Teksavvy simply doesn't have enough interconnect bandwidth between Rogers' network and their own for the number of customers on the network. They've outright stated this multiple times.

Edit: It's also why they've introduced "network management" (i.e. throttling) of their own. So you are getting throttled, and it's not by Rogers.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 6, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hush you, I'm trying to be a demagogue for change here!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

Hush you, I'm trying to be a demagogue for change here!

Rogers delenda est!

The meltdown on DSLReports over the ongoing massive Teksavvy via rCable outages is pretty great.

Spagghentleman
Jan 1, 2013

Zigmidge posted:

My cable reseller connection kept dying. I'd better go with the competitor that supplies it!!!

Issue has been isolated to TSI users only, so that argument doesn't really apply here.
If Rogers can provide me a more reliable connection than TSI at a comparable price, well I guess they won in that sense. As unfortunate as it is.
Also TSI kind of lose their "support the underdog" card when they start doing things like throttling and getting rid of features that brought me to them in the first place, which is exactly what they have been saying they wouldn't do since day one.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
If I was in a Rogers service area, I'd probably just sell my soul to the devil, their pricing is so aggressive it's hard to resist at this point.

And no TPIA fuckery.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

37th Chamber posted:

If I was in a Rogers service area, I'd probably just sell my soul to the devil, their pricing is so aggressive it's hard to resist at this point.

And no TPIA fuckery.

That's what we did; when we moved we couldn't even get the same TekSavvy package we had before so we just went with Rogers. I personally don't care that this is Rogers' fault, I have no allegiance to any of these companies. Having said that, when/if the CRTC gets off their asses, I'd be happy to switch back one of the indies (though I admit I'm enjoying the free hockey and Shomi subscriptions).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

JustAwful posted:

Issue has been isolated to TSI users only, so that argument doesn't really apply here.
If Rogers can provide me a more reliable connection than TSI at a comparable price, well I guess they won in that sense. As unfortunate as it is.

Alternatively, Start services most of the same areas as TSI and has been, in my recent experience (I was with them before switching to Rogers last year - and only switched because I actually have/want cable TV and liked the bundle deals Rogers were offering), the much more reliable Rogers reseller.

The incumbents are prone to fuckery but I don't think if that excuses TSI when they actually do screw up compared to other resellers dealing with the same conditions.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

A Rogers tech came over sometime last month because we've been having problems with either upload or download dropping around 0.1 Mbit/s. He told us to replace the modem. Teksavvy wants some diagnostic info before they do that, but it takes several days or even weeks before the problem shows up. Now having read the latest posts here, I'm wondering if the problem is actually on my end.

I've seen many posts saying Rogers is a better deal, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore, and it never was for 30 Mbit/s, which is the most we can afford. I just checked, Rogers is cheaper for the first 3 months, then it gets higher than Teksavvy unlimited 100, and they say it's going up even more at the end of February. Rogers does seem to be the only choice for speeds over 100 Mbit, so I suppose there's that.

From what I can see by the numbers, Start doesn't seem to be a better deal except for unlimited at the lowest tiers. I think I might see if we can afford the extra $5 to go to unlimited with Start.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Didn't see this reported here, but Paypal has shutdown Unotelly payments
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/unotelly-paypal-1.3435740

Paypal seems to now be enforcing

quote:

"Paypal indicated that UnoTelly is not allowed to provide services that enable open and unrestricted internet access."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Unblock US also mentioned having Paypal issues recently.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm on adfreetime and a paypal autopayment just went through yesterday. Sure it's just a matter of time though.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Coinbase lets Canadians buy bitcoin now (supposedly quite easily) so it might be a good idea to buy $50 worth and just pull from that for things that paypal doesn't like.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

You know you can pay Unblock Us and probably others with a Visa/MasterCard debit card, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Of course, the Paypal loss is just a sign of Netflix actually meaning it this time.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Dammit my unblock-us yearly payment cycle renewed in December :sigh:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Oh, teksavvy. You guys don't make it easy.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
It's pretty funny watching their entire Rogers footprint go up and down nonstop.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

As someone experiencing this rollercoaster bullshit right now, NO, IT IS NOT. <:mad:>

(Does anyone know if Start would be any better? Because God drat)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/start

Seeing as there isn't a 30 page thread titled MY INTERNET IS DOWN AGAIN YOU COCKSUCKERS!!!!, I think the answer is yes.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Mister Macys posted:

As someone experiencing this rollercoaster bullshit right now, NO, IT IS NOT. <:mad:>

I'd be interested in this as well, just got back online. Not impressed.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
As much as they keep finger pointing at Rogers, it screams their own network that is having the issue, I don't think ANY other IISP is having this issue.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Still not a convincing argument to switch to rogers.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

Well, I have Start and my internet is fine. I live in the KW area, so YMMV. Had Start for quite a few years now, never had a problem with them.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Given the weeks of virtually useless upstream I had in late 2015, and the evidence of same I saw all over the province, I'd suggest this is probably incompetence on Rogers part rather than maliciousness.

Edit: It's loving bullshit, whatever the cause. You have my sympathies, folks. :(

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 10, 2016

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm on TSi with the 45/4 400gig plan currently with zap the cap enabled (Unlimited instead of 400gigs but with reduced peak time speeds). I just upgraded to 45/4/unlimited for $79.99. What's annoying is that the 100/10/unlimited plan is only $3 more per month but then I'd need spend $130 more on a new modem. Sigh :(

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

EngineerJoe posted:

I'm on TSi with the 45/4 400gig plan currently with zap the cap enabled (Unlimited instead of 400gigs but with reduced peak time speeds). I just upgraded to 45/4/unlimited for $79.99. What's annoying is that the 100/10/unlimited plan is only $3 more per month but then I'd need spend $130 more on a new modem. Sigh :(

ZtC was discontinued anyway, and could no longer be used beyond Feb.

This recent series of outages is really annoying, because Rogers claims there is nothing wrong on their end, and Teksavvy is unable to see anything on their end that is the cause, traffic on the link just dies away. It's so bad Teksavvy is asking customers to run traceroutes and poo poo during the ;outage' to show it's on the Rogers side.

The whole thing is really bizarre, and because the CRTC didn't mandate any sort of SLA, and also limited contact to a single email address, with no escalation or recourse outside of petitioning the CRTC.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

EoRaptor posted:

ZtC was discontinued anyway, and could no longer be used beyond Feb.

This recent series of outages is really annoying, because Rogers claims there is nothing wrong on their end, and Teksavvy is unable to see anything on their end that is the cause, traffic on the link just dies away. It's so bad Teksavvy is asking customers to run traceroutes and poo poo during the ;outage' to show it's on the Rogers side.

The whole thing is really bizarre, and because the CRTC didn't mandate any sort of SLA, and also limited contact to a single email address, with no escalation or recourse outside of petitioning the CRTC.

ZTC ends at the end of the month which is why I'm switching to unlimited. The recent outages really suck, there was one last night but fortunately I was sick and in bed so I didn't notice it. :)

The lack of SLA is really crazy. The CRTC has come up with a great framework but there are just so many holes and technology just moves too fast for the CRTC. They need to respond quickly instead of taking years to even hold a hearing.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

The CRTC has come up with a great framework but there are just so many holes and technology just moves too fast for the CRTC.

Going to stop you right there, it's still a terrible system by any definition of the word.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

37th Chamber posted:

Going to stop you right there, it's still a terrible system by any definition of the word.

100% this.

The CRTC failed to understand any part of what was necessary to achieve their stated goals, and in each 'hearing' went wholesale with the incumbents information, ignoring or preventing the TPIA clients challenges to it.

They've also reversed themselves, starting by forcing the switch to aggregated, then forcing a switch back to dis-aggregated. This has monstrous costs for TPIA's, and created the huge single points of failure we are now seeing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

There's no doubt the TPIA system is bullshit, and the CRTC made some extremely suspect decisions in its design and implementation. But it's worth pointing out that this "single point of failure" issue is affecting only one specific TPIA ISP. There are others who are using the same infrastructure who are not experiencing an issue.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

infernal machines posted:

There's no doubt the TPIA system is bullshit, and the CRTC made some extremely suspect decisions in its design and implementation. But it's worth pointing out that this "single point of failure" issue is affecting only one specific TPIA ISP. There are others who are using the same infrastructure who are not experiencing an issue.

Oh there are tons of blunders on both sides, don't think in any way I was excusing the poo poo going on at Teksavvy (or any IISP).

Pretty sure their loving network is falling apart, I have DSL with them and landing on a specific router can SOMETIMES mean your speed is halved with tons of packet loss, and IPv6 just doesn't work at all. Multiple people have reported the issue and so far all they've done is said "NOC is looking in to it" and they've tried to get me to agree to potential charges to roll a Bell truck (even though sync is fine, and can be fixed by getting off one specific router).

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 10, 2016

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It took them three weeks to figure out they had a bad fiber interconnect back when I had 50Mbit VDSL. They went from saying it was a customer issue, to saying it was an isolated Bell issue, to saying the NOC was looking into it, to Blaming Bell for not implementing a fix (that did nothing, because they hadn't identified the issue), to finally saying "Whoops, our bad, sorry your internet barely worked for a month."

Teksavvy's network and their issue resolution processes have been poo poo for years now. And it's not because of TPIA, other providers (like Start for example) don't have these issues with this frequency.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

infernal machines posted:

It took them three weeks to figure out they had a bad fiber interconnect back when I had 50Mbit VDSL. They went from saying it was a customer issue, to saying it was an isolated Bell issue, to saying the NOC was looking into it, to Blaming Bell for not implementing a fix (that did nothing, because they hadn't identified the issue), to finally saying "Whoops, our bad, sorry your internet barely worked for a month."

Teksavvy's network and their issue resolution processes have been poo poo for years now. And it's not because of TPIA, other providers (like Start for example) don't have these issues with this frequency.

Yup, poo poo like that is what made me leave Teksavvy. It's unfortunate but at the end of the day I need working Internet.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Every day that goes by makes me more likely to go to Rogers. Their high end plans are pretty good especially if you're willing to nag them.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Still don't see any good arguments to switch to Rogers.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Now I'm totally convinced the Rogers dude that came over a month ago to test the line was wrong about the modem being bad.

The support ticket for my issue has been open since Jan. 11, mostly waiting for my Internet to poo poo itself so I can provide signal levels and poo poo. Not once has anybody mentioned that this is a known issue affecting everybody on Rogers (is that about the scope of it, or is it limited to a certain geographical area?). Is that incompetence or something else?

Start is most likely getting a call tomorrow. Mostly because their 30/5 unlimited is a bit cheaper, and TtC is being killed, but also the reliability issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

Still don't see any good arguments to switch to Rogers.

For the most part there aren't any unless you want 100Mbps+ service, at which point they're cheaper than anyone and have unlimited transfer. Below that, someone like Start or another TPIA provider would be a better choice.

But as it stands, switching from Teksavvy specifically does make sense, because their network is hosed*.

zergstain posted:

Not once has anybody mentioned that this is a known issue affecting everybody on Rogers (is that about the scope of it, or is it limited to a certain geographical area?). Is that incompetence or something else?

There is no issue effecting everyone on Rogers. There's an issue with intermittent drop outs affecting everyone on Teksavvy's rCable service. No one else.

*For example, Teksavvy's cable service in Alberta was also hosed for months, with massive slowdowns rendering the service unusable. Hard to blame that on Rogers.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 11, 2016