Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah I should have noted this one is one of those 'wait for it' videos :) Something that looks like an official U-Haul account commented on the video so hopefully something can be done, but I'm not sure what unless you can prove who was driving the truck at that moment.

This is the fun thing about rental companies. You have to declare who will actually be driving the vehicle. So, if this vehicle was being rented, the renter has two options:

1. Admit he was driving, probably receive a lifetime ban from U-Haul.
2. Claim someone other than he was driving, receive a lifetime ban from U-Haul for allowing an unauthorized person to drive the vehicle - basically he broke the contract.

And if it was an employee, he'll definitely get fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
You guys never have driven in the hov lane in dallas? Nothing that crazy...

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Christobevii3 posted:

You guys never have driven in the hov lane in dallas? Nothing that crazy...

That isn't a lane.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Maybe he was inspired by this guy from 12 days earlier! (chopper view, not dash cam)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF2BaZmlYz0

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

That isn't a lane.

It is if you're in a hurry!!! (I'm assuming :thejoke: )

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
What is the current recommended software for stitching together two videos?
I know I can do it in a video player, but IIRC, there is software that automates it so there is no frame missing or duplicated.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I just use the GoPro software.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

nm posted:

What is the current recommended software for stitching together two videos?
I know I can do it in a video player, but IIRC, there is software that automates it so there is no frame missing or duplicated.

Hard mode is virtualdub/virtualdubmod. There's probably something better.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Takes No Damage posted:

In other news I saw this on reddit today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=346FO0B_qv8

Puckered up just watching it.

This video has me seriously considering ditching the mobius. No way could I have got that plate.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

oxbrain posted:

This video has me seriously considering ditching the mobius. No way could I have got that plate.

Yea that looks like the wide angle lens. I don't like mine either for this reason. Whenever my G1W I'm using as a rear cam dies, the wide angle mobius is going to the back and I'm getting a standard lens model for the front.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

oxbrain posted:

According to the comments in the video, that was just a normal 'black box G1W' dash cam.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Seems legit

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

melon cat posted:

Very interesting. I just used a 16GB Sandisk since it's what I happened to have lying around. :shrug:

I just re-checked the Mobius instructions manual and they specifically recommend a "Class 4 Kingston" brand MicroSD. Really odd, since Kingston memory storage devices aren't exactly known for their reliability. But if Sandisk isn't the best brand- time to consider other options. Thanks!

With Kingston, you want the Japanese made ones, if I'm not mistaken.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I want to upgrade from my G1W to something with GPS, a rear camera, and a way to export videos to my phone or PC without having to take the card out. Cable to phone or WiFi to phone/PC are all fine with me, with WiFi obviously being preferable.

Is there anything else I should look at other than a Blackvue DR650GW-2CH?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA2I86GHPiU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
That laugh... and yeah as the comments noted, the poster was being a dick by laying on the horn, the Merc driver actually did need to yield for the oncoming traffic in his lane.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I'm gonna assign a roughly equal amount of dickhead to each of them. There was a Yield sign right there, just because 90% of people don't know what that means doesn't mean it's time to lean on the horn. BUT getting out of your car in the middle of a road is a confrontational dickhead thing to do so it's hard to side with the Merc. Now I get to feel smugly superior to BOTH of them :smuggo:

edit:

Youtub comments posted:

MistaSanch3z 8 hours ago
Your laugh is one of the most atrocious things I've ever had the displeasure of hearing in my entire life.

marcus xavier 7 hours ago
+MistaSanch3z Thanks, learned it from your step-mother, because of course, your real mother abandoned you at birth.

Holy poo poo, that's the kind of comeback a small child thinks is appropriate, like elementary school level. I'm tempted to crosspost in the schadenfreude thread...

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 11, 2016

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
That could've gone a lot worse, had the Merc idled autonomously onto the freeway.

I'm going to assign 2/3rds blame to Mercjerk and 1/3 blame to Camguy McHonkyson.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I was really hoping that merc driver ended up crashing into someone. 100% on the merc

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BraveUlysses posted:

I was really hoping that merc driver ended up crashing into someone. 100% on the merc

Really, this. It was a merge with a marked "yield," not a marked "stop." The lane continued forward with plenty of room for merc guy to merge properly, instead of getting out of the car at the moment his manhood was insulted.

That laugh, though.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Some peoples' reactions to car horns are intense, like it's a personal challenge to their honor. I had a guy in front of me stop at an intersection with no stop/yield sign, so I laid on the horn. He reacts by pulling up next to me further down the road and starts screaming at me. drat man, you get like that every time someone calls you out on your mistake?

Aside from that, some of these yields should really just be merges, especially when the lane is as long as the one in the video. On busier roads, you and the people behind you are not going anywhere if you actually do a true yield.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Merging/horn story: I had a guy in front of me come to a stop on the road being merged onto to let some dumbfuck in. He then got pissed off at me for pointing out this stupidity.

http://i.imgur.com/eKuw9hv.gifv

Looks like his own fault but the "hosed out of nowhere" factor is high.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I watched the video with the sound off at first and had no clue why anyone thought it wasn't 100% the mercs fault. I guess horns are alarming but I'm still gonna put 100% blame on merc because hearing a noise doesn't give you the right to (try to) stop your car and get out in the middle of a public road. No one likes loud sounds but that dude could have easily gotten himself or someone else dead.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I dont really take issue with people breaking the road rules as long as its not inconveniencing anyone else. Crossing double lines? as long as you dont have to come to a stop and make everyone behind you stop, no problem.

Early merge over solid white median and stopping in the merging lane to do so? You gon get honked.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
I almost decommissioned an older Blazer the other night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErmS7rS8KEQ

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Do you guys feel like you should stop and get email addresses to send dashcam footage to other people you see get in an accident? I didn't stop for this because I would've been way past them before I could stop and I'm not going to walk all that way back on a freeway.

Dark colored car in the #1 (left) lane forgot we were in traffic and rear ends a white SUV just as they go out of frame. I'm all the way in the right lane.

Edit: tried to set it to public. Thanks for heads up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQq1h1MTXXU

Hdip fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 14, 2016

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Hdip posted:

Do you guys feel like you should stop and get email addresses to send dashcam footage to other people you see get in an accident? I didn't stop for this because I would've been way past them before I could stop and I'm not going to walk all that way back on a freeway.

Dark colored car in the #1 (left) lane forgot we were in traffic and rear ends a white SUV just as they go out of frame. I'm all the way in the right lane.

Video set to private.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Hdip posted:

I wouldn't stop for a rear end because the fault is pretty easy to determine most of the time. I stopped and gave my email for the one accident I did catch on video. Insurance guy contacted me about it and I sent him the link only for him to say he saw no accident. I mean, I wasn't involved but you can clearly see the car in the right lane move left into his client. Not rocket science.

http://youtu.be/OeQhYXBKTI0

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PenisMonkey posted:

I wouldn't stop for a rear end because the fault is pretty easy to determine most of the time. I stopped and gave my email for the one accident I did catch on video. Insurance guy contacted me about it and I sent him the link only for him to say he saw no accident. I mean, I wasn't involved but you can clearly see the car in the right lane move left into his client. Not rocket science.

http://youtu.be/OeQhYXBKTI0

It didn't really look like an accident to me, either.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
You missed the silver SUV in the far right lane sideswipe the red car in front of me?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PenisMonkey posted:

You missed the silver SUV in the far right lane sideswipe the red car in front of me?

I saw that, it just didn't look accidental.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Raluek posted:

I saw that, it just didn't look accidental.

Oh, well I don't think it was intentional, probably SUV lady found out she was in a right only lane and didn't check her blind spot before crossing over into the far left lane.

Point being cars touched, damage was done; something I would imagine an insurance dude to care about since some company had to pay for repairs and it could easily turn into a "she said, she said" affair.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

0rganDonor posted:

drat, that looked really really close. Lesson - if you realize at the last moment you are going to run into someone who is a moron and stops instead of merging, that's why there is an emergency lane to your right.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

0rganDonor posted:

It's to dark to see (at least on my monitor), and I'm not from the US, but was there a yield sign or stop sign there or are you required to stop like that when joining a highway(?)?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

It's to dark to see (at least on my monitor), and I'm not from the US, but was there a yield sign or stop sign there or are you required to stop like that when joining a highway(?)?

That's a 70 mph road, hell no would you stop at the ramp. It's understood that merging traffic should yield to vehicles that are already in the lane though. It looks like Organ is driving a truck of some kind, only thing I can think is that the first car didn't think they could merge and was just stopping completely so he could pass, and the 2nd car wasn't having it. It looked like a really short merge lane though so it's hard to tell if the first car is really at fault.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Takes No Damage posted:

That's a 70 mph road, hell no would you stop at the ramp. It's understood that merging traffic should yield to vehicles that are already in the lane though. It looks like Organ is driving a truck of some kind, only thing I can think is that the first car didn't think they could merge and was just stopping completely so he could pass, and the 2nd car wasn't having it. It looked like a really short merge lane though so it's hard to tell if the first car is really at fault.

I thought as much. I'm pretty sure the blame would be put on the guy braking over here. At least a big part of it. Especially because no one has to yield when joining traffic via ramps, and not accelerating up to the speed of the traffic is a big no no. We're supposed to mutually ensure that the merge is safe.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007
That was just outside of San Antonio, Tx on i10. The shoulders are paved solid from Houston to SA for hurricane evacuation. Both the Taho and Blazer could have gone on their merry way and accelerated in the shoulder no problem.
I had turned my left turn signal on before those guys got to the middle of the ramp and the car in my left lane sped up just enough to block me from changing lanes and sat there until you see him popping out.
If it were just the Blazer wandering onto the interstate I would have dove for the shoulder, but the Tahoe was still there at that point. It wasn't a conscious decision at the time, but, in retrospect, I would have been OK with pancaking just the Blazer.

Also at :08-:11 that's not me turning into the idiot, that's the drive tires locking up because the trailer wanted to suddenly become first in line.

Bonus; Have a stop sign runner calling my bluff and nearly losing badly;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc291rpj1pQ

0rganDonor fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Feb 14, 2016

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MrOnBicycle posted:

I thought as much. I'm pretty sure the blame would be put on the guy braking over here. At least a big part of it. Especially because no one has to yield when joining traffic via ramps, and not accelerating up to the speed of the traffic is a big no no. We're supposed to mutually ensure that the merge is safe.

In the US, it would be 100% fault of the blazer. You need to be able to stop for any vehicle putting on the brakes. If he had been paying attention and had a proper following distance he'd been fine. The stopping guy is an rear end in a top hat who shouldn't drive, but would not be at fault.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

0rganDonor posted:

Bonus; Have a stop sign runner calling my bluff and nearly losing badly;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc291rpj1pQ
Does that idiot drive around with blue brake lights or is there something going on with your colors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nitrox posted:

Does that idiot drive around with blue brake lights or is there something going on with your colors?

Compare to the colors in the right panel. Might not have an IR filter which causes weird colors like that.