Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Maximum Tomfoolery posted:

The Empire State building is as tall as Texas is wide. The ISS has to dodge it every 90 minutes.

you have some very outdated ideas on what the tallest building in New York is :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Pretty much perfect.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

you have some very outdated ideas on what the tallest building in New York is :v:

I just learned today that the One World Trade Center is exactly 1,776 feet high. That's actually kinda cool. For non-US goons, that is the year of America's independence.

Also, in case you wanted actual information instead of that bullshit map about building heights, Wikipedia has a pretty good article about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_by_U.S._state

The highest building in Vermont is 38 feet tall. 11 meters. :v:

edit: I am a very silly and wrong person.

trapped mouse has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Feb 10, 2016

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I think you mixed up your columns there. 38 meters, 11 stories.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

trapped mouse posted:

I just learned today that the One World Trade Center is exactly 1,776 feet high. That's actually kinda cool. For non-US goons, that is the year of America's independence.

Also, in case you wanted actual information instead of that bullshit map about building heights, Wikipedia has a pretty good article about it

the tallest building in Wyoming is a dorm hall at the University of Wyoming

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

trapped mouse posted:

It's 38 meters, 11 floors. Did you really think no building in the state was higher than 38 feet?

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Oops.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

trapped mouse posted:

The highest building in Vermont is 38 meters. :v:

I saw it last I was in Burlington, and it's as massively unimpressive as you'd expect. That said, Vermont's best quality is its quaintness and charm so it works well.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Torrannor posted:

Please tell me that all these crazies supporting Trump are just liberals trying to screw over the Republicans :ohdear:

I'm a liberal that is registered Republican so I can vote in the GOP primary, because that is the election that decides Sheriff and eventual country commissioners in my podunk county. I vote Democrats in the general election.

Haven't decided on Trump or Cruz for my troll vote yet, Paul dropped out too early, his dad would always stick around to NC.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

trapped mouse posted:

I just learned today that the One World Trade Center is exactly 1,776 feet high.

This still doesn't mean anything to anyone in most countries, since that's not a real unit of measurement.

it's 540 meters

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

trapped mouse posted:

I just learned today that the One World Trade Center is exactly 1,776 feet high. That's actually kinda cool.

Falls flat to non-Americans, though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Pick posted:

I saw it last I was in Burlington, and it's as massively unimpressive as you'd expect.

Please don't make fun of my state's tiny tallest building. :colbert:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

zedprime posted:

Did somebody say Venn diagram

Keep Talking and Noone Explodes looked at decades of interface design and technical writing, and purposefully did everything opposite. The Bomb Defusal Manual is a work of art.
My GF said gently caress this and wrote a table that is a hell of a lot easier to read. Cheating? Don't care :colbert:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

LethalGeek posted:

My GF said gently caress this and wrote a table that is a hell of a lot easier to read. Cheating? Don't care :colbert:

You cheated on your girlfriend by loving the table?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

my dad posted:

You cheated on your girlfriend by loving the table?
We have an understanding

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

CannonFodder posted:

I'm a liberal that is registered Republican so I can vote in the GOP primary, because that is the election that decides Sheriff and eventual country commissioners in my podunk county. I vote Democrats in the general election.

Haven't decided on Trump or Cruz for my troll vote yet, Paul dropped out too early, his dad would always stick around to NC.

In 2012 I was in Michigan for school, but still registered in SC at the time of the primary. Primaries are open in SC, so I decided to absentee vote for Huntsman in the Republican primary. He dropped out between when I mailed my ballot and the date of the primary. :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DrBouvenstein posted:

Please don't make fun of my state's tiny tallest building. :colbert:

Your state is neat, I appreciated the lack of billboards, but my back hurts from having to bend down and pinch its cheeks every few meters.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

LethalGeek posted:

I think you're now required to post the table for review and critique.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

my dad posted:

Falls flat to non-Americans, though.

TBH the WTC fell flat for everyone.

ryden
Oct 9, 2011

ACAB

HardDisk posted:

:vince:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

HardDisk posted:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

CannonFodder posted:

Wait, what? There are elections for public officials that are part of an internal party election not open to the public in general?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Tiggum posted:

Wait, what? There are elections for public officials that are part of an internal party election not open to the public in general?
Yup. Some states have what are called closed primary elections, where only registered members of the party can vote for who the party's nominee will be. Other parties have open primaries, where you don't have to be a registered member of the party, or of any party.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
To make sure everyone's on the same page with wording, the simple explanation is there are closed elections for determining a party's nominee in an election for an elected position.

The complicated explanation is there are closed elections who's results are used to inform voting members of a conferring body in their selection of a nominee in an election for an elected position because it isn't a presidential election unless you have 10 different sets of white men deciding at different levels on behalf of the people.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiggum posted:

If you live in a town that's so solidly red that the Democrats don't even bother to run a candidate for a local office, then the Republican primary election is the only one that matters. To have a vote in that one, you might have to register as Republican, depending on the rules in your state. The general election still happens on Election Day, but there's not much point. The exact same situation happens in big cities, favoring the Democrats this time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Yup. Some states have what are called closed primary elections, where only registered members of the party can vote for who the party's nominee will be. Other parties have open primaries, where you don't have to be a registered member of the party, or of any party.
Yeah, that wasn't the bit that was confusing me.

Powered Descent posted:

If you live in a town that's so solidly red that the Democrats don't even bother to run a candidate for a local office, then the Republican primary election is the only one that matters.
Oh, right, so you're actually just voting for the party's candidate but that candidate is so likely to run unopposed in the actual election that selecting the candidate is essentially the same as selecting the winner. Got it.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, that wasn't the bit that was confusing me.

Oh, right, so you're actually just voting for the party's candidate but that candidate is so likely to run unopposed in the actual election that selecting the candidate is essentially the same as selecting the winner. Got it.

Yeah, the parties also have won several lawsuits stopping more open primary systems saying that not being able to exclude people from their primary harms their right to assembly, that is, their right to decide who is a part of their party and not.

Washington State used to have a completely open primary system where you could choose which primary to vote in for each position. Vote in the Democrats for Sheriff, vote in the Republicans for Attorney General, it's all fine! That got shot down. They moved to the more common open primary where anyone can pick any party and do it across the board, but eventually they gave that up and all positions except the Presidental elections use a top-two primary (also called a jungle primary). All candidates are in the same primary, and top-two winners move on to the general regardless of party.

So it's kind of like IRV but way worse because if you wanted to vote for a third party candidate, you run the risk that your 2nd preferred mainstream candidate loses to two candidates you hate. Also, while it has the possibility for third parties to make the general election, the reality is that much more often the mainstream candidates for each party coast on by in a low turnout, and congratulations, third parties, you wasted your time and money on a election that your most likely voters didn't know happened!

Maybe one day we'll stop treating the Constitution like the Bible and consider saner systems, but nah, we're Slim Pickens riding the nuke all the way down.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

CannonFodder posted:

I'm a liberal that is registered Republican so I can vote in the GOP primary, because that is the election that decides Sheriff

Pretty sure this is the part Tiggum was wondering about. As am I. What the gently caress?

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

foobardog posted:

Maybe one day we'll stop treating the Constitution like the Bible and consider saner systems, but nah, we're Slim Pickens riding the nuke all the way down.

Besides the Electoral College, I don't think the Constitution mandates any of the other voting systems we use. It's just tradition

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TotalLossBrain posted:

Pretty sure this is the part Tiggum was wondering about. As am I. What the gently caress?

Having the sheriff be elected directly is the system that gave us Joe Arpaio. If you don't know who that is, don't google him until you're ready to get really angry and really sad, simultaneously.

But since this the graph/chart thread, here's something to whet your appetite:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

We do it for judges too.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Fuschia tude posted:

Besides the Electoral College, I don't think the Constitution mandates any of the other voting systems we use. It's just tradition

Yeah, this is true, though I think PR is unconstitutional (as determined by a Supreme Court case) because representatives must be tied to a district to preserve the idea of one man one vote. Even though we fail at that. But that may only be a law not a decision.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

foobardog posted:

We do it for judges too.

So only registered Republicans can vote for sheriff/judges in the Republican primary in some places? That's what CannonFodder stated. I live & vote in the US. I have never heard of this. (not the bit about directly electing a sheriff or judge, but rather restricting it to registered party members in a closed primary)

Edit: Content to make up for this stupid derail

A chart about banana exports from a German wikipedia article.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 06:29 on Feb 11, 2016

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

foobardog posted:

Yeah, the parties also have won several lawsuits stopping more open primary systems saying that not being able to exclude people from their primary harms their right to assembly, that is, their right to decide who is a part of their party and not.
There's a lot about the American electoral system that's dumb, but letting parties define their own procedures for selecting candidates seems entirely reasonable. It's weirder that in some states they apparently allow an open vote for the party's candidate.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I knew that positions like sheriff are elected in America, I was just confused about the idea that the election for sheriff would be held as part of a single party's internal politics. But actually what happens (as Powered Descent explained) is that in this particular place the Republican candidate is basically guaranteed victory (regardless of who the actual candidate is), so determining which candidate the Republicans select is actually the important vote. The real election is essentially a formality, since so many people will vote Republican anyway.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

It's that one season of the Wire.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
For anyone who doesn't understand the U.S. election stuff: The President is chosen by popular vote of the Electoral College, which is a small group of people. Each state gets to send the same number of people as they are allowed legislators in Congress (2 + however many representatives they have this decade), and D.C. also gets a few. Each state's legislator gets to choose how they select their Electors. Right now, every state has some form of popular election to choose the electors, but there is nothing in the federal law requiring that (except for D.C., which is run by Congress). Also, no federal law requires the electors to vote for a particular candidate. They just promise to vote a given way, and some states have laws requiring them to vote for who they say they will, but their vote still counts even if they break their promises and/or state laws.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Are there laws saying an elector should be a citizen of their state? Or even an American at all?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh, and AFAIK because Electors are by state with a special exception for DC, citizens of Guam, Puerto Rico etc. can't vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Carbon dioxide posted:

Are there laws saying an elector should be a citizen of their state? Or even an American at all?

All I know is that I think it was someone in a Freep mock thread over in D&D figuring out that a child born in America to two illegal immigrants would be completely legally capable of running for President.