Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What exactly do I need in an SSL certificate for a hybrid office 365 scenario?

I can't find any proper definite answers but what am getting so far is you need a wildcard SSL certificate capable of at least 3 SANs. As in domain.tld for my primary email namespace @domain.tld, one SAN for autodiscovery.domain.tld, one SAN for adfs.domain.tld and one SAN for my edge servers mail.domain.tld.

Does that sound about right? I don't fully what all the relationships are here. When you are purchasing a wildcard certificate do you just get an infinite number of SANs with it or are you charged per SAN.

Somewhat related: office 365 requires the UPN of user accounts to match the external domain. I wrote a quick script that would change all UPNs of accounts in a domain. Does changing UPNs cause any weird problems that I should be aware of down the line? Should I be more selective of changing UPNs and specify it only to change user accounts and not service accounts/etc, or does having mixed UPNs cause issues?

quote:

Get-ADUser -SearchBase DC=domain,DC=internal -filter * | ForEach-Object { Set ADUser -UserPrincipalName domain.com}

Methanar fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Wildcard you get as many subdomains as you need because it is a wildcard. They are more expensive than the 5 UPN ones or whatever that you'll see from resellers.

If you have a wildcard you are good and should be able to use that for any application for your domain.tld address.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Your powershell script as quoted is just going to try to set everyone's UPN to domain.com which isn't what you want (also it's set-aduser, not set aduser).

That said I'd probably just run it on the OU with mail enabled accounts, no need to mess with things that don't need to be messed with.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Methanar posted:

What exactly do I need in an SSL certificate for a hybrid office 365 scenario?

I can't find any proper definite answers but what am getting so far is you need a wildcard SSL certificate capable of at least 3 SANs. As in domain.tld for my primary email namespace @domain.tld, one SAN for autodiscovery.domain.tld, one SAN for adfs.domain.tld and one SAN for my edge servers mail.domain.tld.

Does that sound about right? I don't fully what all the relationships are here. When you are purchasing a wildcard certificate do you just get an infinite number of SANs with it or are you charged per SAN.

Somewhat related: office 365 requires the UPN of user accounts to match the external domain. I wrote a quick script that would change all UPNs of accounts in a domain. Does changing UPNs cause any weird problems that I should be aware of down the line? Should I be more selective of changing UPNs and specify it only to change user accounts and not service accounts/etc, or does having mixed UPNs cause issues?

When you set up directory sync (still needed for a Hybrid deployment as Office 365 needs to know about the users) it installs the IdFix tool for you - https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Install-and-run-the-Office-365-IdFix-tool-f4bd2439-3e41-4169-99f6-3fabdfa326ac

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

So am I correct that to have proper pass through auth with outlook with 365 is to have ADFS and modern authentication enabled for the 365 tenant? Or is it possible to have it with just Azure AD and modern auth enabled?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Harry Lime posted:

So am I correct that to have proper pass through auth with outlook with 365 is to have ADFS and modern authentication enabled for the 365 tenant? Or is it possible to have it with just Azure AD and modern auth enabled?

I use Azure AD Connect

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Life lesson: don't put litigation holds on stuff that no one asked you to put a litigation hold on. It's really difficult to remove when it comes time to purge the e-mail.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So here's a strange one on Office 365. Add a domain to a tenant and validate it, don't actually use the service at all and continue to send email as normal from your current provider or on-premise server.

Go into the message trace and pull up the results from the last 24 hours or so. Any email that arrived inbound to the Office 365 platform that was sent from a domain that you have authenticated seems to be tagged as actually being sent from your Office 365 tenant as far as the message trace is concerned.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't know if this question goes here but I'm putting it here.

IT finally got around to changing me to Office 2013 (they started doing this MONTHS ago) and one thing I lost from Office 2010 was, in the conversation view, there was a line that connected (or sometimes connected) emails in the conversation when it's expanded.

Office 2013 doesn't seem to have this. Anyone know how I can get this back? TIA.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

O365 migration Q from on prem Exch 2010 to Exchange Online:

1. Should I still use migrationwiz or can I use built-in migration plan

2. built-in migration plan says don't assign licenses until after migration is over. is this for real?

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

O365 migration Q from on prem Exch 2010 to Exchange Online:

1. Should I still use migrationwiz or can I use built-in migration plan

2. built-in migration plan says don't assign licenses until after migration is over. is this for real?

We're in the middle of this too, so my $0.02

1. I'm doing everything with PowerShell scripts because that's how I roll ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. Mailboxes can operate without a license for 30 days without a problem, which is probably why it says that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is a relatively new and awesome resource vs. trawling TechNet to find the most recent article about a particular problem:

http://powershell.office.com/

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Mierdaan posted:

2. Mailboxes can operate without a license for 30 days without a problem, which is probably why it says that.

ok BUT if I assign a license to a user and do the migration after, will it screw something up

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

This is a relatively new and awesome resource vs. trawling TechNet to find the most recent article about a particular problem:

http://powershell.office.com/

noice

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

totalnewbie posted:

I don't know if this question goes here but I'm putting it here.

IT finally got around to changing me to Office 2013 (they started doing this MONTHS ago) and one thing I lost from Office 2010 was, in the conversation view, there was a line that connected (or sometimes connected) emails in the conversation when it's expanded.

Office 2013 doesn't seem to have this. Anyone know how I can get this back? TIA.

Not really the place but what the hell.

Don't know offhand about the 2010 behavior but 2013 has conversations. It's just a long list of emails in that conversation that show up no matter what folder they're in. Option's still located under the view tab on the ribbon. Check "show as conversations" and fiddle with the view settings there as needed.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

ok BUT if I assign a license to a user and do the migration after, will it screw something up

Nope. You can even reassign a license to a user who already had one, it doesn't matter.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Looks like this is the spot. So uhh...

I'm trying to set up email alerts in LanSweeper. We have an Exchange server of course. I just need to know where the heck to go to find this info.

I'm REALLY new here (to this field, really) and nobody's given me any access to this info on a sort of :smug: "Look it up yourself" basis.

I just need to know how to find the "From address" and uhh... what port I should be using. I'm trying "noreply@(our domain name).com" but that's not working.

I'm also not sure if I'm doing the User / Password right. I know the password is 100% correct however...

Sorry guys I'm useless.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NT Plus posted:

Looks like this is the spot. So uhh...

I'm trying to set up email alerts in LanSweeper. We have an Exchange server of course. I just need to know where the heck to go to find this info.

I'm REALLY new here (to this field, really) and nobody's given me any access to this info on a sort of :smug: "Look it up yourself" basis.

I just need to know how to find the "From address" and uhh... what port I should be using. I'm trying "noreply@(our domain name).com" but that's not working.

I'm also not sure if I'm doing the User / Password right. I know the password is 100% correct however...

Sorry guys I'm useless.
Is noreply@domain.com a mailbox that uses the (your domain name?, which is in the screenshot)\Administrator account credentials? Does the Administrator account have its own mailbox? You shouldn't plug an Administrator username and password into that box. Make a LanSweeper service account mailbox, and give it access to send mail from noreply.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

anthonypants posted:

Is noreply@domain.com a mailbox that uses the (your domain name?, which is in the screenshot)\Administrator account credentials? Does the Administrator account have its own mailbox?

It is but the error I'm getting says

"SMTP server connection test failed: Unable to connect to the remote server"

The redded out box is basically (server).(serverdomain).com

anthonypants posted:

You shouldn't plug an Administrator username and password into that box. Make a LanSweeper service account mailbox, and give it access to send mail from noreply.

Noted. I'll hop over to that when I can get the Exchange server to even talk to Lansweeper.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NT Plus posted:

It is but the error I'm getting says

The redded out box is basically (server).(serverdomain).com

Noted. I'll hop over to that when I can get the Exchange server to even talk to Lansweeper.
Have you gone through these steps? https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123686.aspx

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

When I type 'telnet' into the cmd line, it's not a recognized command. :confused:

EDIT: NEVERMIND! Got it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or just tell Exchange to permit the IP address of that server to relay through it and don't bother authenticating.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Or just tell Exchange to permit the IP address of that server to relay through it and don't bother authenticating.

Went ahead and tried this. I get the following error from the Lansweeper screen in the screenshot:

"SMTP server connection test failed: The specified string is not in the form required for an e-mail address."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's probably checking for a .com or something on the end of the email address.

Set it to noreply@internal.yourdomain.com and try again.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Hm...

Now I'm getting

I'm not sure how to proceed.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Got it working by telling it to go through our email/web filter. I guess I should've mentioned earlier we use Barracuda.

But at least I learned a bit about the Exchange environment. Thanks SH/SC goons.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Ugato posted:

Not really the place but what the hell.

Don't know offhand about the 2010 behavior but 2013 has conversations. It's just a long list of emails in that conversation that show up no matter what folder they're in. Option's still located under the view tab on the ribbon. Check "show as conversations" and fiddle with the view settings there as needed.

What is the right place, then? I can ask there, instead.

Meanwhile, what I'm looking for is the line going down the side of the emails in each conversation, like you can see here: http://www.businessproductivity.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/How-to-view-email-by-conversation-03.png

It's disappeared in Outlook 2013 and I just miss it as a good visual indication of where conversations begin and end.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have some customer service people....like ten or so.

When one of those people is on vacation, sick, etc, some other person has to check the missing person's email. So we let the covering user open that person's mailbox (after giving them permissions). But it's a pain to do so, and then you have to remove the mailbox afterwards...

OWA doesn't work because they'd have to have that user's password.

Suggestions?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If the covering person has permission, have them login to their own OWA, then click on their own name (top right) and choose Open another mailbox...

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What Wilford Cutlery said, OWA does work.

If they have full access permission to the mailbox, it should Auto Map in Exchange 2010+ and Outlook 2010+

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009
gently caress public folders forever.

If any of you ever considers migrating them to O365: It's doable, but you will almost certainly pay for it in flesh and blood. Burn them to the ground and never look back.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

When one of those people is on vacation, sick, etc, some other person has to check the missing person's email. So we let the covering user open that person's mailbox (after giving them permissions). But it's a pain to do so, and then you have to remove the mailbox afterwards...

Suggestions?

Use a ticketing application

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

Use a ticketing application

They do, but individuals will email the rep for their territory directly. Not to create and incident but for miscellaneous stuff.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

Suggestions?

https://owa.domain.com/owa/otherpersonihavefullaccessrightsto@domain.com doesnt work (permissions can take a few min to show up after the first time they're granted mind you.)? Granted that doesn't take away the need for managing permissions, but doesn't add it to that person's outlook profile.

e: Goddamn formatting! Stop trying to be helpful!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Here's a dumb problem we have. In Outlook 2010 (with exchange 2003, if that matters), sometimes I get people complaining that they can't just type ahead with some people's first names and find them. It seems the reason is that in the auto-complete list, some addresses are stored as 'first last' <flast@company.com> while most are stored as first last <flast@company.com>

Note the difference in single quotes. That means I can't start typing their first name and have it show up, unless I type a single quote first. People claim this happens to them a few times a year and even to addresses that used to work correctly.

The solution is just to click the 'to' button, and add the person from the GAL. Doing that once will fix the issue for that contact, but of course a "temporary" fix isn't enough to satisfy people. I've been working on this system for a few years and have never seen it happen before, so I'm guessing some people are doing something differently, I just don't know what it is. Has anyone else experienced this?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

wa27 posted:

Here's a dumb problem we have. In Outlook 2010 (with exchange 2003, if that matters), sometimes I get people complaining that they can't just type ahead with some people's first names and find them. It seems the reason is that in the auto-complete list, some addresses are stored as 'first last' <flast@company.com> while most are stored as first last <flast@company.com>

Note the difference in single quotes. That means I can't start typing their first name and have it show up, unless I type a single quote first. People claim this happens to them a few times a year and even to addresses that used to work correctly.

The solution is just to click the 'to' button, and add the person from the GAL. Doing that once will fix the issue for that contact, but of course a "temporary" fix isn't enough to satisfy people. I've been working on this system for a few years and have never seen it happen before, so I'm guessing some people are doing something differently, I just don't know what it is. Has anyone else experienced this?
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_nk2_edit.html

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Holy poo poo this is a thing.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Holy poo poo this is a thing.

Holy poo poo the amount of wailing and moaning you'll get from people the day their autocompletes are wrong/are gone/are why they're getting NDRs. I've encountered people who think if you delete it, you can never email that person again.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

AutoArgus posted:

Holy poo poo the amount of wailing and moaning you'll get from people the day their autocompletes are wrong/are gone/are why they're getting NDRs. I've encountered people who think if you delete it, you can never email that person again.

I feel them, though, I realized most of my composing emails is done with autocomplete <TAB> nonsense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

AutoArgus posted:

JIMBOB ISN'T IN MY CONTACTS!

Sure he is. Right there!

NO LOOK!!
*starts typing*

gently caress NK2 files. I saw a woman kill a man because her HD crashed and the new computer didn't have her old NK2's on it.

Okay not really but almost.