Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
As an aside, imagine what a neat game Paradox could make if they could incorporate the various internal politics mechanics that they've developed over the course of V2, CK2, EU4, and Stellaris. A nation could have pops that vote for or support various issues, and parties with platforms and agendas that could be negotiated with using a system of favors like that in CK2. Coalitions and factions could be developed, both internally among parties and externally among groups of nation-states, which would provide challenges and obstacles to the player.

For example, I could see a "faction" system working wonderfully well in a game where you are represented at the party level -- if your party gets the help of other parties to form a coalition in Parliament, they would be able to use those favors to levy for their issues and agendas. Refusing to allow their representatives a voice in the new government, or appointing some of their ministers in the bureaucracy, would cause them to be angry with you and vote against you, or even trigger a vote to dissolve Parliament! A powerful enough Party with high enough consciousness/unrest might even trigger a revolution. I think it would provide a lot of granularity and nonlinearity in the game that would be very interesting to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

That's definitely expansion material but a Victoria style POP system would be incredible. It's a ton of work though because you'd have to implement a system for each type of government but I guess we'll see how Endless Space 2 turns out because they have exactly that.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Mans posted:

Russia didn't have infinite manpower, the Otoman empire wasn't a super tolerant heaven, Prussia didn't have armies composed of invincible robocops.

It's a game.
I think we're arguing the same thing. All of those are caricatures, as is "England rules the waves". Which is ok. The problem is when part of the time period hinges on a nation defying its caricature. In this case, longbows are actually out of character but they're still the only explanation for why England was able to hold onto its French holdings for so long. The way Paradox has traditionally fudged this is by tweaking the game start, e.g. by giving France's provinces really high autonomy, having Albania start with Skanderberg as a 5/5/5 general, or giving Scotland +1 leader shock as long as they are 7 provinces or fewer.

Similarly, I think it would work for England to get some kind of "English Longbow" modifier granting them +infantry combat for the first 50 years or if they control more than X provinces not in the British Isles region, whichever happens first.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Well if we're honest, what we truly want is one single game that let's us play from pre-Roman Republic to modern times and beyond with the micro-functions of CK2 to the macro-functions of EU.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah endless space 2. Really a good time for 4X games, let's hope any are good. The endless guys make solid games with great lore and setting but the gameplay some how gets very boring fast :(

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Just give me a loving Mesopotamian dawn of civilisation game, you big bastards,

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Oberleutnant posted:

Just give me a loving dinosaur civilisation game, you big bastards,

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Black Griffon posted:

Well if we're honest, what we truly want is one single game that let's us play from pre-Roman Republic to modern times and beyond with the micro-functions of CK2 to the macro-functions of EU.

The obsession some people have with extended Paradox games is very strange to me. You can become an unstoppable doomblob within 200 years of starting a Paradox game, and generally do, unless you're intentionally handicapping yourself in some way. It's not particularly fun to keep playing after that. If a full campaign of EU4 is too long - which it is - why on earth would I want to play something even longer?

What *I* really want is expanded support for one or two later EU4 bookmarks - breathe some life into that 1579 or 1613 or 1701 start, give me some achievements and late-game events! It won't happen, but it'd be cool if it did - Victoria 2 shows that a 100-year long Paradox game can be a very fun, contained experience.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Release a dinosaur portraits pack for CK2* and I will pay all my monies.

*or dinosaur portraits/units pack for EU4, or dinosaurs for V2, or, or

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sid Meyer tried that and it drove him to ruin.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dibujante posted:

In this case, longbows are actually out of character but they're still the only explanation for why England was able to hold onto its French holdings for so long.

It isn't really though. There's a lot of conflict within the French monarchy at the time, plus the whole Armagnac-Burgundian Civil War which has just wrapped up as EU4 opens. English archery was important, but the war goes far deeper than Crecy and Agincourt.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I just want Rome 2 and also a game that ranges from the around the Peloponnesian Wars (or a bit earlier) to early Rome

I dont think that was ever a really good strategy game set on this timeframe

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Elias_Maluco posted:

I just want Rome 2 and also a game that ranges from the around the Peloponnesian Wars (or a bit earlier) to early Rome

I dont think that was ever a really good strategy game set on this timeframe

I wouldn't call it really good but Alea Jacta Est exists.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Wiz's Twitter posted:

From my @StellarisGame changelog today: - AI will no longer try to ruin player's self-confidence by always insulting them on first contact.

Good to see that work on Stellaris is going well.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I just want an Atlantis based game. Call it a spin off of Stellaris' uplifting feature.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

PleasingFungus posted:

The obsession some people have with extended Paradox games is very strange to me. You can become an unstoppable doomblob within 200 years of starting a Paradox game, and generally do, unless you're intentionally handicapping yourself in some way. It's not particularly fun to keep playing after that. If a full campaign of EU4 is too long - which it is - why on earth would I want to play something even longer?

What *I* really want is expanded support for one or two later EU4 bookmarks - breathe some life into that 1579 or 1613 or 1701 start, give me some achievements and late-game events! It won't happen, but it'd be cool if it did - Victoria 2 shows that a 100-year long Paradox game can be a very fun, contained experience.

The next expansion for EU4 (after Mare Nostrum) should absolutely be about lategame content, both in terms of bookmarks and just things to do for those starting at 1444. I feel like the bookmarks haven't been looked at since EU3, that's how little they get talked about.

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

zedprime posted:

I just want an Atlantis based game. Call it a spin off of Stellaris' uplifting feature.

There's always Age of Mythology.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Soup du Jour posted:

The next expansion for EU4 (after Mare Nostrum) should absolutely be about lategame content, both in terms of bookmarks and just things to do for those starting at 1444. I feel like the bookmarks haven't been looked at since EU3, that's how little they get talked about.
I think bookmarks were all but deprecated when they started focusing on achievement driven challenges. The timeline seems to exist because the research was already done between EU2 and 3 and is easily tabulated into any new maps.

Hobolicious posted:

There's always Age of Mythology.
No, the real Atlantis :rolleyes:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
A page or so late, but you guys arguing about the cultural change wiping out cultural buildings--there's a real cool mod on workshop called "Cultural Traditions" or something in the vein that lets previously built cultural buildings stay even after the ruler's culture changes. You can build both longbowmen and camel knights in England! Make armies as diverse as your wife's "lovers" tab!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Soup du Jour posted:

My impression is that Johan really dislikes the later bookmarks, possibly because of how much work they are to maintain versus how much they actually get used. I'd be fine with tossing the day-by-day start options (cool though though they are) for a few really nice hand-crafted bookmarks, but I don't get the impression that's something that's something the Paradox team has a lot of enthusiasm for...

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah they have lots of stats on what people actually do with their games. Everyone does custom nations at the earliest date.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dibujante posted:

I think we're arguing the same thing. All of those are caricatures, as is "England rules the waves". Which is ok. The problem is when part of the time period hinges on a nation defying its caricature. In this case, longbows are actually out of character but they're still the only explanation for why England was able to hold onto its French holdings for so long. The way Paradox has traditionally fudged this is by tweaking the game start, e.g. by giving France's provinces really high autonomy, having Albania start with Skanderberg as a 5/5/5 general, or giving Scotland +1 leader shock as long as they are 7 provinces or fewer.

Similarly, I think it would work for England to get some kind of "English Longbow" modifier granting them +infantry combat for the first 50 years or if they control more than X provinces not in the British Isles region, whichever happens first.

To be fair there were parts during the hundred years war where the french monarchy as barely able to enact orders beyond what he wanted for dinner.

The English could've had poop on sticks if all the French were more focused on taking advantage of weak monarchs to cement their local strangleholds.

Which to be fair is something that pops up frequently in French history before and after the HYW too :v:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Soup du Jour posted:

The game is pretty good about European colonization in the New World (if you handwave away much of European territory as claims, rather than proper control), but the imperialism in Asia really needs something. I would love an expansion that:

1. Makes European powers actually care about having a proper foothold in India from 1600 (or 1500 for Portugal) and forward.
2. Has a well-developed system for European and Indian states interacting and using each other.
3. Lets European states compete for influence in India, through direct control of land, or through protectorates and vassals, and of course makes the AI care about this.*
4. Would be nice to see the Mughals happen, but even if they don't, having great big native empires which can keep the Europeans at bay would be nice too.

Actually, thinking about what this means in terms of gameplay vs. what's being portrayed, you could probably work the whole "Europe vs. India" angle. As a player in India you naturally want to expand and strengthen your own position so that you have the strength to beat back the Europeans when they come, which essentially puts you in the shoes of the great native empire. Going with that philosophy in terms of designing the system in India, I'm thinking something like this:

Every country with provinces in India is part of some unique Indian system, sort of a mix between the HRE and the daimyo system in Japan. Base the system around the concept of momentum, with every country being rated by how quickly it expands its influence in India, relative to its size. Greater momentum means bigger bonuses (reducing overextension and coring costs in particular), allowing a country to expand rapidly if it seizes its chance. The momentum has to wind down eventually though, by virtue of there not being infinite room for growth, and any gains being relatively small compared to where the country started. Now low momentum is fine if you're a small state, but as a great empire, it should be an existential threat, if you don't find a way to truly solidify your gains. That brings us to the second part; Europeans:

When Europeans first arrive in India, it's likely to be too rich and technologically advanced to easily subdue, so they'll settle for gaining a port here and there. As Europe increasingly gains a lead in tech, its ability to push Indian states around increases, helping them gain more gold, creating a positive feedback loop. It also gives Europe momentum in India, while perhaps the local empire is slowing down its conquests. This sea change in the local balance of power could act as a signal to minor states and subjects in India that perhaps this great empire's days are numbered, and now is the chance to align themselves with the new cool guys or strike out on their own, which would give Europe the chance to make the gains they've previously been denied.

Of course, like the HRE, there should be the possibility of ending the system and creating a new stable state. Keeping other states operating in India from gaining too much momentum relative to your own, after you've solidified your hold on a significant chunk of it, should slowly build up authority over the region. When your authority becomes great enough, you'd have the ability to basically end the system and proclaim yourself a proper Indian empire, your legitimacy born out of beating back foreign invaders and subduing rebellious princes. At that point you'd be free to mop up the rest of India at your leisure.

*Maybe Indian states could choose to be influenced in this way, as a way to get into a better tech group? I think it would be a great alternative to the current westernization system, but then I'm not a big fan of that either.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

As someone who wants to have that obsession but realizes its kind of stupid early on and quits. Part of it stems from the idea of remaking the world in a new image, especially if you are handicapping yourself and/or building up other powers. Look at the good and cool LPs of paradox games, many of them revolve around the world created, and this created world is what interests me as a player. It's why I have less of an interest in later bookmarks, less of the world is there to gently caress upremake. However, I love the poo poo out of the Vicky suite of games, and it doesn't need to a long stretch of ruining history creating emergent historically parallel stories. But that might just be me.

Now, onto the important poo poo:

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oberleutnant posted:

Just give me a loving dinosaur civilisation game, you big bastards,

That's Stellaris.

Dinos vs. Fungi vs. Boring Humans

Intergalactic Triple Threat for all of creation.

And then the winner dies from internal tensions.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

It isn't really though. There's a lot of conflict within the French monarchy at the time, plus the whole Armagnac-Burgundian Civil War which has just wrapped up as EU4 opens. English archery was important, but the war goes far deeper than Crecy and Agincourt.

Mans posted:

To be fair there were parts during the hundred years war where the french monarchy as barely able to enact orders beyond what he wanted for dinner.

The English could've had poop on sticks if all the French were more focused on taking advantage of weak monarchs to cement their local strangleholds.

Which to be fair is something that pops up frequently in French history before and after the HYW too :v:

Even though the weakness of the French monarchy was significant, the HYW lasted too long for it to be the primary explanatory factor. Clearly, there is no single explanation, and the number of battles fought defies an easy summary.

The reason why I think that the longbow prolonged the conflict is that, despite the weakness of the French crown, French armies were still almost always larger and better equipped than English armies. French armies relied heavily on armored cavalry and mercenary companies, which were considered by contemporaries to be Right Way to Wage War. The use of the longbow by the English probably would not have happened if the English had also been able to afford the kind of "correct" armies that the French were fielding. For this reason, I think that, without the longbow, the English would not have succeeded at contesting the claims of even a weak French king.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

Just give me a loving Mesopotamian dawn of civilisation game, you big bastards,

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Barring some seriously shocking archeology I'm unaware of, I think you quoted the wrong post.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Every country with provinces in India is part of some unique Indian system, sort of a mix between the HRE and the daimyo system in Japan.

I think adding "center of gravity" polities like the HRE to a whole bunch of places would be a really good change. One of the main things that makes Europe so much more interesting to play in than the rest of the world (in my opinion, anyway) is having to work within/ against the constraints of the HRE as you expand around it. And it's the spawn of so many alliances and wars, as well as big events like the 30 years war and the shadow kingdom that you can plan a lot around. Unique states (that are unique for people interacting with them, not just themselves) are very fun to play nearby to.

India would be good (to stop the hugboxing there too) but Ming especially. An HRE-like system for a shattered China that let it reunify/ get Manchu'd would be great.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oberleutnant posted:

lol defensive much

:iamafag:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mans posted:

What is, poop on sticks? Because that was a real thing used on the medieval ages to kill enemy soldiers by septic shock.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Koramei posted:

I think adding "center of gravity" polities like the HRE to a whole bunch of places would be a really good change. One of the main things that makes Europe so much more interesting to play in than the rest of the world (in my opinion, anyway) is having to work within/ against the constraints of the HRE as you expand around it. And it's the spawn of so many alliances and wars, as well as big events like the 30 years war and the shadow kingdom that you can plan a lot around. Unique states (that are unique for people interacting with them, not just themselves) are very fun to play nearby to.

India would be good (to stop the hugboxing there too) but Ming especially. An HRE-like system for a shattered China that let it reunify/ get Manchu'd would be great.

Re-orienting all of SE Asia towards either being in China's sphere of influence our out of it (and thus possibly subject to Europe) would be pretty great. Proxy wars between Europe and China would be pretty great. Both the Ming and the Qing fought several proxy conflicts against Europeans during this time period, the Ming fighting to support clients in SE Asia. The Qing fought fewer engagements and were overall less competent at maintaining control of SE Asia.

There isn't much of a system in place presently to force you to contend with Ming/Qing if you intend to topple some Indonesian sultanate. Sure, there are guarantees, but the Ming/Qing AI neither uses them nor benefits from using them (after all, these states all suck trade out of China).

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

PleasingFungus posted:

My impression is that Johan really dislikes the later bookmarks, possibly because of how much work they are to maintain versus how much they actually get used. I'd be fine with tossing the day-by-day start options (cool though though they are) for a few really nice hand-crafted bookmarks, but I don't get the impression that's something that's something the Paradox team has a lot of enthusiasm for...

I feel like the bookmarks are a chicken and egg situation, where there's no work done on them because they aren't played very much, because they aren't worked on and so on. I think even some achievements centered around later start dates could get people interested in trying them out more.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Todays World War Wednesday

http://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive/v/43143283

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I gotta say, as much as I like learning about the game the WWW streams are not as interesting now that most of Europe has been taken over due to some AI glitches. Not a whole lot going on...

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I gotta say, as much as I like learning about the game the WWW streams are not as interesting now that most of Europe has been taken over due to some AI glitches. Not a whole lot going on...

How long ago did you get that text av

Did you get your account when you were 7

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I've been 19 for 12 years now. It's wonderful.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

zedprime posted:

No, the real Atlantis :rolleyes:

But you can already play as Bolivia in V2 :confused:

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

podcat on pdxs forums posted:

Q: Is Franco-British union going to have it's own flag in the final version of the game, or it's going to stay as UK?
A: probably stay, we dont have the tech for changing the flag in that way right now

That's too bad for Kaisserreich. I really love all the flag changes :(

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Puella Magissima posted:

That's too bad for Kaisserreich. I really love all the flag changes :(

There's flags for govtype changes, just not for things like the Anglo-French Union (which from WWW just looks like the UK inheriting whatever's left of France and its empire?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Empress Theonora posted:

There's flags for govtype changes, just not for things like the Anglo-French Union (which from WWW just looks like the UK inheriting whatever's left of France and its empire?)

Still seems lame that there's no way to change flags except with ideology.