Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Olesh posted:

You recorded the videos at 30FPS, which is why you have the sprite flickering problems. As previously discussed, the interlacing problem stems from recording at 480i, and interlacing "solves" some of the issues of sprite flickering (although in an inferior way to TASBlend).

Sprite flickering happens because the sprite is alternating visible one frame / invisible the next and then back to visible/invisible/visible/etc. The reason why you get messed up sprite flickering in 30fps video is because it's only displaying half the frames, so rather than going visible/invisible/visible/invisible, it simply displays visible/_skipped_/visible/_skipped_/ or the inverse. If you record video at 30 FPS and then play it back at 30 FPS (or 60 FPS, for that matter), you get the sprite flickering problem. If you record the video at 60 FPS and play it back at 60 FPS, you don't get the sprite flickering problem.

TASBlend was a stopgap solution for when Youtube only supported a maximum of 30FPS, and works by blending adjacent frame pairs on a 60 FPS video before converting it down to 30 FPS. For quality reasons, the TASBlend page recommends not using it on an entire video, and only using TASBlend to encode the portions that need it.

Anyways, the solution is simple: Record at 60fps, post at 60fps, there's no problem. If you can't record at 60fps
The fact that you have so much material recorded in advance makes me doubtful that we'll see this problem fixed any time soon, however.

I just scoured through footage from the Irregular versions of X4-8 and it doesn't look like it will be an issue, while still only at 30 fps the PSX/2 games don't rely on sprite flickering and actually use transparency or tint the sprites white depending on context, it's not perfect but there shouldn't be any invisible sprites from that point on, and the Hunter versions will of X4-8 will all be recorded at 60 fps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Today we take on past data of the Mandrill and head off to... the Fortress Stages? Man this game is short, it's like it was made for short bursts of gameplay or something...

Megaman Xtreme:
3. Spark Zain Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 6, 2016

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
You love me? You really love me!?! :swoon: Also had no idea these games existed until this thread so... That's weird.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Boy, not a lot of dialogue in that one. Makes this next translation update real easy!

DOCTOR LIGHT'S BUSTER UPGRADE

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. Take this Arm Upgrade. The Upgrade will increase the strength of your charged shots. This Upgrade will also allow you to charge any of your special weapons. Defeat the enemy there, X!

Dr. Light: Come, enter this capsule. With these Arm Parts I made, you’ll be able to fire a very powerful charge shot….furthermore, you’ll also be able to charge special weapons! Defeat the oncoming threat X!

Taking this super literally, it's easy to see why the English translation turned out the way it did. His literal words can mean "defeat the approaching foe", OR it can mean "defeat the approaching foes". Going with the latter interpretation, it seems to me like he's speaking more metaphorically, and isn't saying that anyone is ACTUALLY sneaking up behind X at that very moment.

TO THE CORE!!

Dr. Cain: X! Finally we’ve cleared all the protection!

X: All right! Dr. Cain… I’m going to go to the core!

Dr. Cain: X! We’ve finally cleared all the protection!

X: Understood, Dr. Cain! I’m moving out!

Yeah, pretty much the same. Keeniya's translation was actually "we've SOLVED all the protection", but I'm guessing that the word used there can mean "cleared" to, and the latter makes more sense.

REMATCH WITH ZAIN!

Zain: I’ve been waiting for you, X! You have no chance to win!

Zain: I’ve been waiting...X, there is no way you can beat me! Here I come!

(X defeats Zain.)

Zain: I can’t believe this…

Zain: Im-Impossible...

(Zain dies. Geemel appears.)

Geemel: Kyee! X, you disgust me!

Geemel: You’ve really done it now! Kiiii!

X: Who are you?!

X: Who are you?!

Geemel: My name is Geemel! How dare you defeat my buddy! I’ll get you later! Remember!

Geemel: Mi name is Geemel! You destroyed mi amigo! Imma make life HELL for you! Remember that!

Turns out, Geemel has an interesting speech quirk here in the Japanese version. See, he does NOT use Japanese Pronouns to refer to himself, but instead just uses the English word "me". I don't know WHY he does that, but in the context of the Japanese language, this makes him sound like...

1) A foreigner

2) A really, REALLY weird, quirky guy

So, that's why my localization has him saying "Mi name is Geemel" and "You've defeated mi amigo!" "Mi" is the Spanish word for "my", and I'm sure you can guess what "amigo" is. And, in case you haven't guess, "Imma make life HELL for you!" is an embellishment of what was originally just "I'll make things hard for you!". I figured that was ok, because again, we want to emphasize his quirkiness.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 6, 2016

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Fionordequester posted:

Boy, not a lot of dialogue in that one. Makes this next translation update real easy!

Don't worry, this is just the calm before the storm of horseshit that is the next episode.

Fionordequester posted:

Turns out, Geemel has an interesting speech quirk here in the Japanese version. See, he does NOT use Japanese Pronouns to refer to himself, but instead just uses the English word "me". I don't know WHY he does that, but in the context of the Japanese language, this makes him sound like...

1) A foreigner

2) A really, REALLY weird, quirky guy

I am very much okay with Geemel being some form of Hispanic troll.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Fun little trivia- Zain, while in here meant to mean the 7th letter in the Hebrew alphabet, also has another meaning. Namely, it's slang for 'dick'.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

MithosKuu posted:

I am very much okay with Geemel being some form of Hispanic troll.

:cheeky:

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I had the magnifying glass for the original Game Boy. I also had a speaker attachment at the bottom. When you combined all three, it became a total monstrosity.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Today its fortress 2 and 3, up next on Wednesday, the midseason finale

Megaman Xtreme:
4. Refights Redux Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Fun little trivia- Zain, while in here meant to mean the 7th letter in the Hebrew alphabet, also has another meaning. Namely, it's slang for 'dick'.

I completely didn't register that those guys were zayin and gimel. Usually when goyim use Hebrew it goes into numerology, I wonder if 7 and 3 factor into things or they just liked the sound of the letters.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
In cursive Hebrew Gimel and Zayin are mirrored versions of each other, like let's say b and d. Maybe that's what they were going for?

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Zayin is also biblical Hebrew for "sword", and sounds genricool as gently caress, it's the wordplay gift that keeps on giving.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
One thing the Japanese are REALLY REALLY good at is wordplay.

TCat
Oct 10, 2012

I'll save you the time and call myself a loser
When your language and alphabet revolve around syllables and not letters, wordplay becomes a past time of an entire culture...especially when it's how they teach their kids how to speak and write anyways. English puns are a suddenly realized homonym trip, Japanese puns are a way of life. Even X and Zero have a bit of it, considering X and 0 are both placeholders for INFINITY.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
So busy editing I almost forgot to post the episode! I am a smart.

Hands down, today's Irregular episode is my honest to god favorite Irregular episode of Xtreme, basically from the mid point on, I love it.

Xtreme
5. Sigma.exe Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

No but seriously, what the gently caress is going on in the story here? I am so god drat confused. Fionordequester we need you now more than ever! :cry:

MithosKuu fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 11, 2016

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
What the hey are they talking about with Middy and Techno's helmets being rotated of each other? I totally don't see it.

Also, yeah this is a really weird way of doing things to split the game in two.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Choco1980 posted:

What the hey are they talking about with Middy and Techno's helmets being rotated of each other? I totally don't see it.

Also, yeah this is a really weird way of doing things to split the game in two.

It's all about the dips. Techno's got a front-to-back dip, Middy's got a left-to-right dip.

E: This game gets a lot funnier if you accidentally read Middy's name as M'lady.

Dresh fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 11, 2016

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MithosKuu posted:

So busy editing I almost forgot to post the episode! I am a smart.

Hands down, today's Irregular episode is my honest to god favorite Irregular episode of Xtreme, basically from the mid point on, I love it.

Xtreme
5. Sigma.exe Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

No but seriously, what the gently caress is going on in the story here? I am so god drat confused. Fionordequester we need you now more than ever! :cry:

I think after you beat Sigma, you physically teleport into the actual building that the computer is in. Or the computer is a building.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

I'm on it Mithos! Here we go!

DR. LIGHT'S SHOTOKON UPGRADGES

Dr. Light: Enter this capsule, X. I’ll give you the Shotokan moves… “Hadou-ken” and “Shouryu-ken”! First, fully charge the energy by holding the B button. Then hold the UP button and release the B button… You’ll perform the famous Shouryu-ken! If you hold the DOWN button and release the B button… You’ll perform powerful Hadou-ken! Remember that you can only perform these moves when you are on the ground.

Dr. Light: Now X...I shall teach you two legendary techniques, the “Hadouken” and “Shouryuuken”! First, if you charge your buster to Full, then let go of the button while pressing up….BAM! Shoryuken! And if you let go while holding down…. BOOM! Hadouken! But, you can only unleash these techniques while standing on the ground.

Dr. Light doesn't TECHNICALLY say "Bam!" and "Boom!" in the Japanese script, but he actually really does act like a little kid here. The literal quotes are "First, if you charge until Full Charge, then let go of the button while pressing up….Shoouryuuken! If you let go while holding down…. Hadouken!", so I don't think I deviated too much from the original meaning.

X HEADS TO THE CORE AFTER BEATING ZAIN

Dr. Cain: X! Finally you can enter the core!

X: All right! I’m going to go to the core!

Dr. Cain: X! You’re finally able to enter the core!

X: Understood! Heading out!

X VS. SIGMA: ROUND 1

???: Fu fu fu… I am impressed. You have done very well.

???: Hehehe….you’ve done well in making it here, X.

Darn it, there's that accursed "Fufufufu" again...Again, if you ever see this in your translation, just run and never look back. Unless it's Pokemon Emerald, which, for some reason is still a competent localization in spite of having that laugh.

X: I know your voice…

X: That voice….it can’t be!

(Sigma appears.)

X: Sigma! So, you’ve been behind all of this?!

X: Sigma! So you were the one behind all this!

Sigma: Fu fu… Your efforts are worthy… But they will end here! Ha ha ha! X! Get ready to be destroyed!

Sigma: Hehehe…you endeavors are praise-worthy indeed, but they will all end here! Hwahahahaha! Prepare yourself, X!

(X defeats Sigma.)

Sigma: Ha ha… Nice try! But you’re just a tiny bug to me! Ha ha ha ha…

Sigma: Hahahahaha…How sad. If that's all you have, then all your efforts will be in vain! Hwahahahaha….

Note to all you reading this. If you ever read "Fuhahaha" in any JRPG (which I transcribed as "Hwahahaha"), it's supposed to sound like this...except hopefully with just a liiiitle more feeling to it.

(Sigma withdraws.)

Techno: Oh no! We’ve been spotted! Is there nobody who can stop him?

Techno: NO! Now they've found US too! Is there nobody who can stop him?

Geemel: Darn! With this type of situation… I just run away… !

Geemel: Bloody hell! If it’s all gonna be like this….I’ll just RUN!!

Techno: Geemel! Darn! He left me behind!

Techno: Geemel! drat you!

FAREWELL TO MIDDY AND TECHNO

Dr. Cain: X, finally I’ve found Sigma’s hiding place! You can warp from the core of the Mother Computer.

Dr. Cain: X, we’ve finally discovered where Sigma is hiding! You can get there by warping from the Mother Computer's core.

X: All right! Dr. Cain, I’m going to go there now!

X: Understood, Dr. Cain! I'm moving out!

Dr. Cain: It would seem that someone worked with Sigma and hacked the computer from there.

Dr. Cain: It seems that there is someone there who is hacking the computer in cooperation with Sigma.

Middy: …You know what, X? I have something to tell you… … No. Never mind. Good luck!

Middy: ... Hey, X. About that... no, it’s nothing. Be careful!

(X enters the core and meets Techno.)

Techno: Darn it! I didn’t notice it soon, but he’s already come so close! I need to make a move quickly…

Techno: drat! You’ve already come this far? I have to do something….

X: No! I won’t allow you! I’ll crush the machine!

X: No, I won’t let you! I’ll destroy that machine!

(X destroys the computer.)

Techno: Waaaaa!

Techno: Uwaaaa!

(Techno suddenly collapses.)

Middy: Brother!

Middy: Brotheeer!

Techno: Oh… that voice sounds familiar…

Techno: Ooh….that voice….

X: Middy!

Middy: Sob! My brother, Techno!

Middy: Uwaaa! Techno!

"Uwaaa" is basically onomatopoeia for sobbing, so, they're still being kind of lazy here, but...at least they're showing that they...KIND of get it?

Techno: What… am I doing here…

Techno: Where is this...what was I doing…?

Middy: Techno! Oh, you’re waking up…

Middy: Brother! You’ve come to.

Techno: I’ve been controlled by Sigma… Middy… it’s all over with me… In order to hack the Mother Computer… I connected my own CPU directly with the computer…

Techno: Has Sigma been manipulating me this whole time...? Middy….I’m done for…When I hacked the Mother Computer, I had to upload my own mind directly to that computer over there in order to do it.

And now I think is where some of the confusion comes from. I don't think Techno's ACTUALLY saying that he put his own mind into the Mother Computer itself. I think what he was saying was that he connected his mind to the computer that X smashed instead, and then it was through THAT computer that he hacked the Mother Computer. But with the way it's worded in the English version, it sounds like he really is saying that he just put his mind directly into the Mother Computer instead. Hopefully this is at least a little helpful.

Middy: No! Don’t say that! Techno!! Please hold on!

Middy: Uwaaa, don’t say that! Brother, hold on!

Techno: Sigma is good at toying and controlling people’s hearts. He took advantage of my heart and made me work for him…

Techno: Sigma is good at capturing people’s hearts….at some point I, too, had the weaknesses of my heart exploited.

Middy: You are a genius! You don’t have a weak heart.

Middy: You’re a genius, brother! You don’t have anything like a weak heart!

Techno: Huh, you think so? Middy… But… you don’t understand…..

Techno: Hmph, maybe so….but Middy….there’s no way….you understand….

Middy: Nooo! Please… Techno! Don’t leave me! Techno!

Middy: Uwaaa! Technooo! Don’t leave me! Brotheeer!

X: Middy, what happened?

X: Middy, what’s wrong?!

Middy: Techno is my twin brother. We share a CPU. So if he dies, I also die…

Middy: Techno is my twin brother and we share a brain CPU. So, if my brother dies, then I will too….

(Middy collapses.)

Middy: X… Never give in to him! Be sure to defeat Sigma! ……

Middy: X….you mustn’t lose. You absolutely have to beat Sigma! ……….

X: Middy! Hold on! I’ll be back soon. Stay here!

X: Middy! Get a hold of yourself! I’ll be right back! Wait here!

X VS. SIGMA: ROUND 2

Sigma: I thought you would come here. I enjoyed your performances so much… But the entertainment is over. You must fall! Get ready!

Sigma: You’ve come just as expected. Your participation this time was quite a pleasure to watch….but the show ends here.

X: It’ll be the final battle! I’ll finish you at any cost!

X: This is it Sigma! One way or another, I WILL win!!

(X defeats Sigma)

Sigma: Hee hee hee. I guess I will retreat for now… However… X… Don’t think that this is the end! Ha ha ha…!

Sigma: Hehehehe….well, I suppose I will retreat for now I will. But X….don’t think that this is the end! Hwahahahaha!

And now, apparently, the localizers have suddenly changed their minds about how to transcribe the laughs. See, Sigma does the exact same "Fufufufu" laugh that he did the last time, but NOW, instead of translating it literally, they just changed the laugh to "Hee hee hee hee". I...honestly don't know which was the lesser of two evils, but either way, I don't like it. Gimme some consistency darn it!

THE...ENDING?

X: Middy, hold on! We have to evacuate now!

X: Middy, hold on! We’re going to escape now!

Middy: Uh… X… It… seems I’m done for… Thanks to you, Techno recovered his senses… Thank you, X…..

Middy: Ooh...X...I’m...done for. Thanks to you, X, my brother was able to regain himself…thank you, X…

(Middy dies.)

X: Middyyyy!

(X returns to base.)

Zero: X, our mission here is complete. … What’s up, X? Where is Middy?

Zero: X, our mission here is over…What’s wrong, X? Where is Middy?

X: Zero… I’m sorry… I couldn’t save Middy’s life.

X: Zero…I’m sorry…I wasn’t able to save Middy…

Zero: … X. It’s not your fault. Middy sacrificed himself to help all of us. He helped us to defeat Sigma… Don’t waste his sacrifices!

Zero: ….X, that’s not your fault. Middy sacrificed himself. He did it to help us defeat Sigma. Just don't let Middy die in vain.

X: ……… It’s not true peace when the strong rule the world… and the weak are sacrificed… It is very wrong, for sure! I will fight to prevent that!

X: …A world controlled only by the strong will never know true peace. And to have it built on the corpses of innocent people...there is no justice in that! I will fight so that we never have to live in a world like that!

Narrator: Thanks to X and ZERO’s work, Sigma’s ambition to take over the computer world was stopped. But the last words of Sigma make X feel unrest… “But, I won’t let evil win. No matter how strong or how many enemies I must defeat, I will always fight to protect the peace.” X makes this promise in his mind.

Narrator: And so, thanks to X and Zero, Sigma's ambitions have come crumbling down within the computer world. However, Sigma’s finals words make X feel uneasy…. X firmly swore in his heart, “I will never forgive the evil that spreads throughout this world. I will restore peace, no matter how strong my enemies are.”

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 23, 2016

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

...how can robots share a CPU. Then again, this series has Reploid DNA.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

hopeandjoy posted:

...how can robots share a CPU. Then again, this series has Reploid DNA.

Sharing a CPU is perfectly reasonable if they're remotely-controlled bodies. I'm not sure why anyone'd do that with reploids specifically, but the concept is sound.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge

Aerdan posted:

Sharing a CPU is perfectly reasonable if they're remotely-controlled bodies. I'm not sure why anyone'd do that with reploids specifically, but the concept is sound.

Sort of like a workstation vs a terminal? I could see a swarm of mechanaloids running off of one major CPU but it's really weird to think about that for a Reploid.

I mean, unless there is a better analog I don't know of (not hard, most of my knowledge of the games comes from recording this series and reading Bob and George...) the CPU would pretty much be the brain equivalent, yeah? So do Middy and Techno always know what the other is doing/thinking? Do they each have dedicated resources allocated from their CPU? Why would you make your computer genius only be able to make use of half of their processing power at any given time? For that matter, how are Reploids made? Is there just an assembly line of Middys and Green Biker Dudes and Irises and Sigmas? Why isn't there a safty override features that can be triggered to shut down or disable Reploids if they catch the Maverick? Is that a violation of reploid rights? Do reploids even have rights? Help I've fallen into a black hole of logical fallacies while over thinking the plot of a gameboy game.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

MithosKuu posted:

Sort of like a workstation vs a terminal? I could see a swarm of mechanaloids running off of one major CPU but it's really weird to think about that for a Reploid.

I mean, unless there is a better analog I don't know of (not hard, most of my knowledge of the games comes from recording this series and reading Bob and George...) the CPU would pretty much be the brain equivalent, yeah? So do Middy and Techno always know what the other is doing/thinking? Do they each have dedicated resources allocated from their CPU? Why would you make your computer genius only be able to make use of half of their processing power at any given time? For that matter, how are Reploids made? Is there just an assembly line of Middys and Green Biker Dudes and Irises and Sigmas? Why isn't there a safty override features that can be triggered to shut down or disable Reploids if they catch the Maverick? Is that a violation of reploid rights? Do reploids even have rights? Help I've fallen into a black hole of logical fallacies while over thinking the plot of a gameboy game.

I think Iris at least was unique since her backstory is that they tried to make another Reploid with a personality like X's, but the result split into Iris and Colonel. Somehow. The BN version makes more sense, for once.

I think all the playable characters and a lot of the other main characters are unique enough, but there's definitely a assembly line of GBDs somewhere. Don't ask me who orders Alia, for example, to be made though.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Maybe their brain was on the Mother Computer, like they were some kind of defense system that Sigma took over to break in? But then why would one dying cause the other to die aaaa

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
Magical Twin Powers is my only guess for why one twin dying would also kill the other. Capcom likes that cliche.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

dotchan posted:

Magical Twin Powers is my only guess for why one twin dying would also kill the other. Capcom likes that cliche.

Honestly? I really think the whole thing was just lazy writing. Capcom KNEW that there wasn't anything to get that invested in, so rather than thinking of something inventive, they...just pulled something out of thin air. They literally created a character who's only purpose was to die, and then just called it a day. They did it purely for manufactured tragedy, logic and reason be darned. That's how I see it anyway.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Fionordequester posted:

Honestly? I really think the whole thing was just lazy writing. Capcom KNEW that there wasn't anything to get that invested in, so rather than thinking of something inventive, they...just pulled something out of thin air. They literally created a character who's only purpose was to die, and then just called it a day. They did it purely for manufactured tragedy, logic and reason be darned. That's how I see it anyway.

Wouldn't be the first time. *looks at Iris*

Yes, I know her death makes sense, but she was still made just to die tragically. And be forgotten other than an obscure GBC game and one line in the next game.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

Yes, I know her death makes sense, but she was still made just to die tragically. And be forgotten other than an obscure GBC game and one line in the next game.

She also appears as a big part of one of the stages in Project X Zone. It's the one where X and Zero get their multiple assault move.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

Yeah. The weirdest thing about that though is that, despite EVERYTHING in my gut telling me how contrived it was, I STILL felt sad about it, especially since X5 made a point of saying that Zero was still broken up about it. I guess if anything, they did a good enough job of showing Zero's anguish that I was still able to get invested.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

It led to one of the best bad voice acting scenes, so it was worth it.

Dander My DOSDruid
Dec 29, 2013

by Cowcaster
Fun Shoe
I don't know much about the X series, how exactly is X such a huge improvement over the original Megaman model? Apart from the vague "can think more human-like" and the special weapon charge shots he is pretty similar right?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Well, he can move faster.

That's all I got.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
He can climb walls.

Seriously, people really take for granted how big that was back when MMX was first released.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
Due to events that I can't explain involving 343 Industries, I can't make this post in detail right now. Here are the links to tie you over until I can clean up later. #Pacifism #DamnitBray

Xtreme:
6. Intro (Again) Gator Hunter ver. | Irregular ver.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Lord Malfegor posted:

I don't know much about the X series, how exactly is X such a huge improvement over the original Megaman model? Apart from the vague "can think more human-like" and the special weapon charge shots he is pretty similar right?

I think the explanation was that, compared to Mega Man and the other Robot Masters, X was pretty special. But then all the OTHER Reploids were made to be really strong too, and from there, the strength difference between X and Mega Man just kind of lost all relevance.

Digital Jello
Nov 2, 2012

Now I have a machine gun. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Fionordequester posted:

I think the explanation was that, compared to Mega Man and the other Robot Masters, X was pretty special. But then all the OTHER Reploids were made to be really strong too, and from there, the strength difference between X and Mega Man just kind of lost all relevance.

Perhaps I'm just understanding this conversation wrong, but X was "special" because he had the ability to "grow" in power, being that his power was based off his emotions or something. In contrast, the reploids and/or mavericks may be strong, but are supposedly built with measured strength (even though they are overly powerful for X at that point where he meets them). That's why Sigma, for example, always returns in a bigger, badder body and at one point, even makes a motive to take over X's body. As for his comparison to the original Mega Man, I'm not sure they ever bridged that gap, which makes it ambiguous.

MithosKuu
May 2, 2013

Captain Anthony La Forge
An episode of the Ruby-Spears Megaman cartoon had X chasing Vile and Spark Mandrill back to the past (they wanted to grab some Lightanium alloy for Cigma (sic)) Classic Megaman's buster did jackshit to them, while their weapons kringlefucked pretty much everything.

It's not exactly the most canonical thing in the world, but that episode and a cool little easter egg we're going to show off way, way down the line in X8 gives you a pretty good picture of the power differential.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
X has free will, unlike previous robots. He's a true AI. That's why he spent 40 years in a capsule to ensure he wouldn't go crazy and kill everynone.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Clarste posted:

X has free will, unlike previous robots. He's a true AI. That's why he spent 40 years in a capsule to ensure he wouldn't go crazy and kill everynone.

On that note, and I may be misremembering, but if I recall correctly I believe that reploids are programmed with the three rules of robotics as basically the only limitation on their sapience. Basically a means of circumventing the 30+ year morality lesson X had to go through (which I'm sure was a huge boon in Cain securing funding for the reploid project), hence why non-viral mavericks are regarded as having a glitch, and why it's a really big deal later on when new generation reploids can "go maverick at will."

Dresh fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

MithosKuu posted:

It's not exactly the most canonical thing in the world, but that episode and a cool little easter egg we're going to show off way, way down the line in X8 gives you a pretty good picture of the power differential.

Yeah, and besides, look at X's interior skeleton!

Interior Skeleton: Reactive Super-flexible Armoured Skeleton which reduces 93 percent of damage.

Body Skin: Lightweight "Titanium-X" alloy.

93% of Damage! 93% OF ALL DAMAGE!! That's like, only 7% off of 100%! And that's pretty cool! ...

Of course, all the OTHER Reploids probably have that too, but, details details :sigh:

• Locked thread