Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Everyone dies in that one, though.

Revised Potato Dimension one is still my favorite, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm willing to give Mass Pasta Death a pass because, if I recall the story correctly, it was a situation where SCP-503 was originally assigned to some generic Killin' Thing that got deleted for lameness, leaving the "aaaargh we are all dead!!" log about it orphaned, and someone just decided to edit the original dead-serious deathlog once 503 became an infinite pasta pot instead. That's a basically solid joke, if in-jokey.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
are there any exploration logs that end with "all personnel returned healthy and unharmed. on debriefing, their accounts failed to match any details from their transmissions"

not even necessarily an "OH GOD WE'RE ALL DYING, OH GOD IT JUST [DATA REDACTED]ED J!" thing, just sort of a spooky anomalous place would probably be better

Tollymain has a new favorite as of 08:49 on Feb 10, 2016

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I think the funniest log is this series of incident reports.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

I don't get the bed bug joke :saddowns:

teh winnar!
Apr 16, 2003

Gold for:

quote:

Item: One mature SCP-504 tomato
Subject: A portable computer playing the text of SCP-904
Result: DATA EXPUNGED

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

YggiDee posted:

I don't get the bed bug joke :saddowns:

"Don't let the bed bugs bite" replaced by "Good luck on a healthy dermis"

Basically it's just an intensely lovely, tortured joke that isn't even funny, which is why the tomatoes react.

bewilderment has a new favorite as of 12:10 on Feb 10, 2016

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Tollymain posted:

are there any exploration logs that end with "all personnel returned healthy and unharmed. on debriefing, their accounts failed to match any details from their transmissions"

not even necessarily an "OH GOD WE'RE ALL DYING, OH GOD IT JUST [DATA REDACTED]ED J!" thing, just sort of a spooky anomalous place would probably be better

This one fits the letter of what youre asking for, if not the spirit http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-895

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

The Red Pool (SCP-354) I linked just earlier kiiiiiiind of fits the bill.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
also for exploration logs, i don't remember the name but there's the one artifact that fucks with the internal dimensions of spaces and one of the original team sent after it got separated (i think? perhaps the last survivor of poo poo going down) and basically wandered through a functionally infinite space until they died or suicided (body and log found after foundation just loving demolished the building from the outside, along with the artifact)

not relevant to my question i mean, just interesting exploration log-wise

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redbackground posted:

The Red Pool (SCP-354) I linked just earlier kiiiiiiind of fits the bill.

ahahaha able reference in here, this one's an oldie

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Tollymain posted:

also for exploration logs, i don't remember the name but there's the one artifact that fucks with the internal dimensions of spaces and one of the original team sent after it got separated (i think? perhaps the last survivor of poo poo going down) and basically wandered through a functionally infinite space until they died or suicided (body and log found after foundation just loving demolished the building from the outside, along with the artifact)

Dunno if it's the same one but there was one log where they have a length of cable attached to the exploration team to measure how far they go into an anomalous structure, and at one point it reads that they've walked some absurd distance like 100+ miles and the decision is made not to tell the team to preserve morale. It's an Everyone Dies log but I liked the way it was written.

AnonSpore has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Feb 10, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
There's one about a completely desolate landscape, like no sign of anything, and team members either disappear or are just taken throughout as they keep making their further away from the entrance/portal/whatever, and it's been awhile, but I thought it was really well done and Super Effective. I have no idea which one it is, though. :(

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Tollymain posted:

SCP-184, 'the Architect'.

There's an interesting idea about it on TV Tropes, of all places: whatever SCP-184 is within, will become larger, and more and more full of things that aren't quite right. And SCP-184 is within the universe.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Kurui Reiten posted:

Also less generic "disturbing" sounds like children crying or something.

I feel like the only guy who doesn't like the stairway one for this reason. There's really nothing to it if you don't find crying children or spoopy floating ghosts to be creepy.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Are there any exploration logs where, not only do the investigator return in full health, but more of them return than were initially sent out?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

I feel like the only guy who doesn't like the stairway one for this reason. There's really nothing to it if you don't find crying children or spoopy floating ghosts to be creepy.
I don't think the crying child in 087 is necessarily creepy in and of itself, I consider it more of a device to keep propelling the people further down the stairs to see what the hell it is, it sounds so close, it only has to be another floor or two down!

Speaking of 087, the contest wherein active SCPs were re-imagined into different situations had a solid entry based off of it which I quite enjoyed.

redbackground has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Feb 10, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

redbackground posted:

I don't think the crying child in 087 is necessarily creepy in and of itself, I consider it more of a device to keep propelling the people further down the stairs to see what the hell it is, it sounds so close, it only has to be another floor or two down!

Speaking of 087, the contest wherein active SCPs were re-imagined into different situations had a solid entry based off of it which I quite enjoyed.

I don't get how that relates to 087. Some space probe detects an SOS, finds some weird mini-planet, and a get gets fired/killed over it?

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I don't get how that relates to 087. Some space probe detects an SOS, finds some weird mini-planet, and a get gets fired/killed over it?

it detects (hears ) an SOS (a child crying) and travels down a gravity well (a staircase) which seems to be getting longer, and the last signal it sends back is a picture of this weird thing...

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

The SOS is the baby crying, never getting closer, the probe is the D-class sent to investigate, the image depicted is 087-1.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Cumslut1895 posted:

I'm sick of people whinging about "coldposts" as if they need to ask permission to post an idea, even if it's good

I remember that they used to have access to a chat room accessible via an applet on a page, and at the time I didn't mind getting some early feedback by linking to a rough draft in the chat. After they removed it, I eventually gave up on getting feedback entirely because gently caress you I don't do IRC anymore.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

MisterBibs posted:

I remember that they used to have access to a chat room accessible via an applet on a page, and at the time I didn't mind getting some early feedback by linking to a rough draft in the chat. After they removed it, I eventually gave up on getting feedback entirely because gently caress you I don't do IRC anymore.

... the chat applet is still available on the sidebar of every page?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-001-ex-j has always been my favourite J. Simple idea, executed well.

It's been mentioned before and discussed in this thread but http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2521 is still great in its execution.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bewilderment posted:

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-001-ex-j has always been my favourite J. Simple idea, executed well.

I suggested that idea in chat a few months before that article went up. All the regulars said it was a dumb idea.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Parahexavoctal posted:

... the chat applet is still available on the sidebar of every page?

Shows how long it's been since I went over all the lower links, never noticed the applet beyond all the download suggestions.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

bewilderment posted:

This one is great all the way through, but on my re-reading, maybe my favorite part is the establishment that the tradition of silly on-the-nose MTF nicknames started very, very early.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

bewilderment posted:

It's been mentioned before and discussed in this thread but http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-2521 is still great in its execution.

The best part of this one is just how badly it was received at first.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

redbackground posted:

There's one about a completely desolate landscape, like no sign of anything, and team members either disappear or are just taken throughout as they keep making their further away from the entrance/portal/whatever, and it's been awhile, but I thought it was really well done and Super Effective. I have no idea which one it is, though. :(

Are you thinking of the alleyway that leads to what's basically a floating point error randomly generated town level? I can't remember the number but that was a good article, especially where the ground just stops in a gray void but gravity continues. Pretty amusing and an interesting weird piece that's not automatically lethal.

Of course they had to ruin it by sending in an MTF team at the end which called for help on the radio and started shooting at something but they all had ~mysteriously~ vanished without any trace when backup arrived.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

my dad posted:

The best part of this one is just how badly it was received at first.

Well, it wasn't globally badly received - it was created as a part of a contest to make a good SCP under a certain word limit. Some people felt that it was against the spirit of the rules to have it as an entrant.
The contest organisers disagreed and said that the writer had explicitly asked them first, but they did add that it wasn't eligible for one of the bonuses. It won the contest.

Also there's a few weirdos incapable of understanding pictures despite all SCPs following a very specific format that's easy to match this one to.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

this thread glitched up awful app

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm not ashamed to say I've gotten equal enjoyment out of the SCP Culture (for lack of a better term) not liking something that everyone else likes than the actual articles l. Things like that article, people kvetching about Joke SCPs, whatever.

Didn't some higher up on the site :qq: once about how terrible it is that newer people upvote articles too much/often, unlike the older people who'll downvote habitually?

(the most annoying thing is that while I give a lot of grief to the site, I wish I had more time/ideas to contribute more articles...)

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

bewilderment posted:

There's fanart of this in the comments section, some of it is pretty hilarious

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MisterBibs posted:

I wish I had more ideas

You can use mine: an electric razor with a reverse setting. Run in reverse it grows hair. And then an O5 has to chastise the staff for misusing it, because all the bald guys keep "testing" it on themselves.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

TWIST FIST posted:

SA Forums > PYF > SCP: stupid D-class, it's not like I like you or anything

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TWIST FIST posted:

niiiiiiice

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

DeusExMachinima posted:

Are you thinking of the alleyway that leads to what's basically a floating point error randomly generated town level? I can't remember the number but that was a good article, especially where the ground just stops in a gray void but gravity continues. Pretty amusing and an interesting weird piece that's not automatically lethal.

Of course they had to ruin it by sending in an MTF team at the end which called for help on the radio and started shooting at something but they all had ~mysteriously~ vanished without any trace when backup arrived.

I prefer to pretend that every exploration log that ends with ~mysterious vanishment~ that doesn't really fit the story, the real log ends with "we found where they were hiding and they were all sentenced to whatever as punishment for dicking around"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

fishmech posted:

I prefer to pretend that every exploration log that ends with ~mysterious vanishment~ that doesn't really fit the story, the real log ends with "we found where they were hiding and they were all sentenced to whatever as punishment for dicking around"

To Keter duty and they were all killed by 682!!!!!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd love to see something where it turns out a bunch of lovely SCP's that seem to just eat D-class were actually part of some sort of underground railroad to get them out.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I'd love to see something where it turns out a bunch of lovely SCP's that seem to just eat D-class were actually part of some sort of underground railroad to get them out.

Combine that with 682 being a standard GoC exercise that the foundation adopted. The lizard doesn't really exist, it's just a way to make researchers come up with novel methods for killing things.

Or, rather, to filter out the researchers who spend more time coming up with ways of killing things, instead of doing real research. That sort of preoccupation is unhealthy.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 09:08 on Feb 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Baronjutter posted:

Someone on a talk page once wrote:

"It always bugs me when they send in the D-Class before the drones or lowered cameras or whatever. Good thing these dimensions always just contain a monster that eats D-Class personnel rather than, say, a button that makes the first person who presses it turn into a living God or something."

Life is cheap. :shrug: