Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I hope the next one is his suicide note. Takes a lot of balls to bag on PBS drives while doing the same and scamming millions that nobody took back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

I hope the next one is his suicide note. Takes a lot of balls to bag on PBS drives while doing the same and scamming millions that nobody took back.

Can u give me a little back story on that? I don't know that guy or listen to the show but that sounds interesting.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Kings Of Calabria posted:

Can u give me a little back story on that? I don't know that guy or listen to the show but that sounds interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Dunning_(author)

They only prosecuted the first 15 thousand, but he likely got a lot more than that. He ends every podcast asking for weekly "micropayments" because he quit his job (as a pro scammer) to make it. He has the smuggest voice that ever smarmed.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It was even better hearing that smug voice going like "You'd give money to KANYE WEST but not a humble science man like ME????" all the while
I'm proud to be the last man on earth to listen to Skeptoid. I was hoping he'd at least end the PBS ep by going "And that's why we need more public funding for PBS, let me tell you about these nasty politicians defunding it!!" but nahhhhhh
I wish he'd at least go back to doing episodes about like..."The Mysterious Glowing Orange Death Light of North Carolina" but I guess he's run out of poo poo like that

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Smug science men always go full libertarian in the end.

Kings Of Calabria
Sep 10, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Dunning_(author)

They only prosecuted the first 15 thousand, but he likely got a lot more than that. He ends every podcast asking for weekly "micropayments" because he quit his job (as a pro scammer) to make it. He has the smuggest voice that ever smarmed.

lol he sounds like a dorky Seth Rogen, what a goober. Surprised hje is so popular. Even if he was the coolest guy in school who would want to listen to an hour of someone being like "yes but science :smuggo:"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kings Of Calabria posted:

lol he sounds like a dorky Seth Rogen, what a goober. Surprised hje is so popular. Even if he was the coolest guy in school who would want to listen to an hour of someone being like "yes but science :smuggo:"

That's why his podcast is ten to fifteen minutes long.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Are people liking History on Fire? I've stayed subbed but haven't really delved into much other than the first ep just because the vibes and Joe Rogen connection made it seem like an even more casualass "history dad" podcast than Hardcore History. I've got them all sitting here though and Ive caught up to most of my other podcasts so I might start listening to a few more
I'd also like to announce my new podcast EXTREME HARDCORE HISTORY ON FIRE EXPLODING. It's good if you're uhh really into wars

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 28, 2016

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Are people liking History on Fire? I've stayed subbed but haven't really delved into much other than the first ep just because the vibes and Joe Rogen connection made it seem like an even more casualass "history dad" podcast than Hardcore History. I've got them all sitting here though and Ive caught up to most of my other podcasts so I might start listening to a few more
I'd also like to announce my new podcast EXTREME HARDCORE HISTORY ON FIRE EXPLODING. It's good if you're uhh really into wars

I like the two episodes on the slave wars. Definitely recommendable. That being said, his twitter has a weird dudebro audience. Apparently he wrote a couple of books that seem a bit on the self-help side. Whatever. I like what I listened to, will definitely pick it up once I finish other stuff.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I haven't listened to the just released episode but I have heard the rest. I like it well enough, I guess. It's like a Hardcore History-lite that comes out more often and isn't as long (thank god). The host is not an exceptional storyteller but he's not bad. I thought I would have a harder time understanding his thick accent than I have. The show is fine. I know that sounds like faint praise and I guess it is but sometimes fine is good enough. I've enjoyed the topics he has chosen so far. I think if you like the topics you'll think it's fine too.

This podcast is okay.

I like the cover art.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've finished the English Monarchs arc of Rex Factor. I won't comment on the results beyond their being fine, but my favorite ended up being Charles II, and Ali being left as Edward I's only real fan was hilarious.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I'm listening to the Xenophon eps and they're pretty serviceable I guess. You're right that decent to fine still has some value considering how hard it is to find history podcasts to stick with. I'll have stretches with nothing to listen to and then one day five podcasts I'm subscribed to will decide to update all at once and it's like gently caress man.
Maybe I'll try Rex Factor. I like the look of the topics and episode lengths, though "light-hearted" worries me given how subjective what anyone finds funny can be, the Lesser Bonapartes didn't really stick with me. I'm sure my not having a whole lot of detailed knowledge on this aspect of history might make it more okay if they're a lighter history podcast.

I also started listening to the 538 election podcast thingie on the recommendation/ad from the Slate's Whistlestop. Whistlestop, by the way, remains a consistently good historical/political podcast. There's a nice little new ep on the Dean Scream. The 538 podcast, eh, it's decent current political white noise.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Don't forget that you're comparing late Dan Carlin to the first few episodes this guy has done. He's already fairly enjoyable and if he gets a hundred hours of historical storytelling under his belt, he'll probably be really good as well.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Megazver posted:

late Dan Carlin

Phrasing! I nearly freaked out.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Dan Carlin's been on Joe Rogan's podcast like 4 times as well, not sure why that's a big deal.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's not a big deal per se, just something that could be a warning sign when accompanied by other more significant warning signs. They're fine. It's fine. Although it's kind of weird how often the Italian guy keeps plugging and using Dan Carlin's name. He'll just keep recommending you listen to this superior podcast Hardcore History and discussing what Dan Carlin's favorite part of whatever story he's telling is. I get enough darn Carlin listening to Dan Carlin, man, you don't have to ALSO drop boxing analogies.
I've liked his telling of the Xenophon's Anabasis well enough though. Fine is fine. I like how often he keeps feeling like he needs to remind his audience that homosexuality/bisexuality was more prevalent and accepted in that era.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
You Must Remember This is back with a new season long subject: The Blacklist.

I thought her last series on MGM was good if a little direction-less. I really enjoyed the season before that (Manson) so I hope the new series on the Blacklist returns to a more focused style.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Really dug the first ep, and it's a subject I'm really interested in at the moment. Great toning!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Is there a podcast series out there about the early settlers, plymouth colony and all that? Initially looked for a mooc, but have trouble finding anything.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
In this week's In Our Time on Chromatography, Lord Barg is at his wit's end with all these guests. He's always short, but now he's openly scornful, especially of the American who did chromatography in the studio.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Goddamn is the new You Must Remember This blacklist episode depressing. I never knew HUAAC was so blatantly and openly racist, sexist, anti-semetic, and generally anti-progressive. I just knew it was a communist witch hunt. Thanks, history, for making me feel terrible this morning.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Mr. Squishy posted:

In this week's In Our Time on Chromatography, Lord Barg is at his wit's end with all these guests. He's always short, but now he's openly scornful, especially of the American who did chromatography in the studio.

Yeah that was gold.

"So the interesting thing about this technique is that it was developed by a German industrial chemist in the lat-"
"WE'RE NOT TALKING ABOUT THAT NOW, TELL ME ABOUT <X>"

Although I did find this episode extraordinarily dull. It seems like such a visual science, so listening to academics describe it for 45 minutes just doesn't do it justice.

webmeister fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 10, 2016

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Him cutting off the experts in the middle of interesting stories like that is what put my off the show. Specially since he seems to allow for a bunch of less interesting table setting at the top every episode. Sometimes it feels like debate team or something.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Academics can and will talk about whatever their area of knowledge is for hours if you let them. Bragg's job is to cover a series of points about a topic within a fixed time frame, not to allow his guests to wax poetic.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

WEH posted:

Academics can and will talk about whatever their area of knowledge is for hours if you let them. Bragg's job is to cover a series of points about a topic within a fixed time frame, not to allow his guests to wax poetic.

Sometimes Bragg accomplishes this. Other times it feels like he's personally offended whenever an expert doesn't offer the exact answer he's expecting to a given question. If he's not willing to allow the conversation to develop a little more organically, he should just abandon the interview format altogether imo.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

PerilPastry posted:

Sometimes Bragg accomplishes this. Other times it feels like he's personally offended whenever an expert doesn't offer the exact answer he's expecting to a given question. If he's not willing to allow the conversation to develop a little more organically, he should just abandon the interview format altogether imo.

I'm only guessing but I bet he gets sick of guests not getting it every week. Never new to him, always new to them, etc.

A while back I asked for USA politics podcasts and got great recommendations. Can I get any for USA foreign policy on the middle east and Africa / world problems / crises? Sorry I know that's vague, basically I can't keep on top of the middle east thread and want something more detailed than the guardian articles and more frequent than topical common sense episodes.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

PerilPastry posted:

It's a cranky old man berating pretentious academics until they give him whatever answer he's looking for, and hopefully, hopefully learning something in the process. That's the point of the show. It's been the point of the show since 1998. If you want organic conversation you don't even need to leave the comforting British embrace of BBC 4 podcasts to find something to scratch that itch.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I just think it needs to be longer.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Drunkboxer posted:

I just think it needs to be longer.

Yeah, there's a lot more of Bragg being terse in the older episodes that were like 20 minutes long. They'd be better off with 90-minute biweekly episodes or something.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That would be a scheduling nightmare.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just do the 90 minutes and make an editor trim it down, they already have extra stuff at the end of the podcast done during commercials, no Bragg stress there.

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
I think the show is a live broadcast, so it has to fit into its time slot as is.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, probably its greatest strength and weakness is that it's a radio show, not a podcast. They can't just let it go for as long as they like.

No matter what you think of particular episodes, or Bragg's presenting style in general, I do think it's hard to argue with the body of work that the show makes in total. Has covered such a ludicrously broad range of ideas, usually in some level of detail and pretty consistently entertainingly.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone was wonder what happened to it, Invisibilia's social media accounts finally started going again and the show will be back in June.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

quote:

A while back I asked for USA politics podcasts and got great recommendations. Can I get any for USA foreign policy on the middle east and Africa / world problems / crises? Sorry I know that's vague, basically I can't keep on top of the middle east thread and want something more detailed than the guardian articles and more frequent than topical common sense episodes.

Foreign Objects, Radio War Nerd, War on the Rocks, CSIS Podcast. e: jihadology

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 13, 2016

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
If anyone's not listening to My History Can Beat Up Your Politics, give it a try. He's doing a 12-parter on Reagan and his presidency, and it's been fascinating and remarkably even-handed. As someone who grew up during his presidency, it's nice to get a historical take on it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The History of Byzantium Podcast says they'll have a Very Special Guest for the 100th episode.

Will it be Mike Duncan? It seems like Robin was searching for his blessing since he started the project.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

stealie72 posted:

If anyone's not listening to My History Can Beat Up Your Politics, give it a try. He's doing a 12-parter on Reagan and his presidency, and it's been fascinating and remarkably even-handed. As someone who grew up during his presidency, it's nice to get a historical take on it.

I do like how he's been covering it. Although I suspect that at least half of the reason for him doing it is to show off his rather good Reagan impression.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
But it's hampered by the terrible quality of the actual recordings of Reagan's actual speeches.

I thought it was just the radio chatter from the first part but it sounds like he's recording a YouTube clip with his phone.

Still good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I thought the latest one was great as far as setting up context for the whole thing about "Reagan isn't really a conservative, relative today's candidates/officeholders" that liberals often use as gotchas against the modern GOP.

I do agree though that the recorded clips pale in comparison to, say, John Dickerson's Whistlestop counterparts.