Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
Whoa wtf, who got rid of my internet monkey for me?!

It is very obviously someone who knows a lot more about Cogmind than most people :love:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I am very confused how this gearhead 2 game works. Can i get some advicenor a link or someone twlling me not to bother

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Dr. Dos posted:

You can pick your starsign now. Which after wanting to be able to do so for years, now just paralyzes me with "do I want to play this class or that class" now that I won't get something that's clearly good for wizards and just pick wizard.
You could do this with an external program for years. And reroll to get the extra 2 starting traits as well, IIRC.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Kyzrati posted:

I only use bots to find bugs (which is why Cogmind is mostly bug free). Bots going beyond that into actual "play well" territory is a ridiculous amount of work for a decently deep roguelike.

I've seen your blog posts talk a bit about the spreadsheet balancing stuff, but I'd love to hear more about how you implemented this. How do you differentiate between the game working as planned and the bot just marching forward in a glitched game state?

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C

DeathBySpoon posted:

I've seen your blog posts talk a bit about the spreadsheet balancing stuff, but I'd love to hear more about how you implemented this. How do you differentiate between the game working as planned and the bot just marching forward in a glitched game state?
You're in luck! I've written about that before, too. (And I'm in luck---time saver :P) That was back before you showed up with Roggle, which is progressing amazingly quickly, by the way.

That form of testing will catch most things in the logic, so the only remaining areas for potential bugginess (and where there are sometimes a handful of bugs that make it into each release) are the UI and mechanics calculations. For the former I simply test each individual feature as it's implemented, considering as many possible permutations on that input and relevant environments as I can. (I talked about this bit in a reply to my own linked comment.) The latter mechanics issues are the hardest to catch, though fairly uncommon, and that's the one that relies on my own playtesting where I notice something isn't quite causing the intended result. Players have uncovered a few of these over the months, but it's quite difficult to do from that end.

Really the vast majority of bugs are solved by allowing the game to play itself and when something goes horribly wrong just using the trace and/or logs to swat it. Why let players find bugs when the computer can do it for you :D

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08

Kyzrati posted:

Whoa wtf, who got rid of my internet monkey for me?!

It is very obviously someone who knows a lot more about Cogmind than most people :love:

:banjo:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Thanks a bunch for the response Kyzrati.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Isaac posted:

I am very confused how this gearhead 2 game works. Can i get some advicenor a link or someone twlling me not to bother

I am no expert on the game, but here are some tips to keep you alive in the start of the game:

Make an advanced start character and max their speed and reflexes. Reflexes controls avoiding damage at both scales and lots of weapons use it too. Speed literally controls how much you can do with each turn. A low speed character will sit there like a lump while their enemies wreck them. Do not completely dump charisma.

Always have Mecha Piloting, Dodging, Initiative, and Conversation on your characters. I know the last patch made dodging slightly less important, but it still the best way to not die. Initiative ties in with speed. Conversation means that people will actually give you missions.

Pick a Gear with hands to start out with. It speeds up looting and means that you are not completely screwed if you run out of ammo during a fight. The calculation for how weight damages your dodge value goes something like Installed Weapons>Carried Weapons>Weapons in Inventory.

ABR: Always be running. Target speed is an important part of attack calculations. You can turn and maneuver as much as you like during your turn as long as you run, using the + key, as your last action. Stunt driving is a good talent to start with, but remember this costs fatigue points over time.

Try to get the person you team up with at the cavalier club to become your lancemate. Talk to people to get contacts in your communicator and then give them a call. Hold shift and press m to look at your Gears. Hold shift and press six to cheat and see where hidden events are, it will save you a lot of time.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Can you still sandpaper mechs down with 387 personal scale bazookas welded on to every armor plate?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yep. I tried ADOM for about a week before I gave up on it, and that was at the height of my free time and dedication.

I tried ADOM for a while and then realized how completely at odds permadeath is with that sort of intense grind so I picked up Elona+ instead and got real deep into that for a month or so. Was fun, would recommend anybody give a go at breaking Elona over your knee at some point when you don't have another game to play

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
That sounds amazing, but I have no idea. I know the last patch did something like doubling the strength of all mecha-scale parts to try and make dodging less of an all-or nothing affair.

Which reminds me that for personal scale combat you should buy light armor and consider a weapon with scatter. Buying a spare clip of flechette ammo for a long rifle or something works well for early game trash enemies.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
I really hope someone picks up Gearhead 2, I just spent a few hours playing it and the space combat sucks(which is the majority of the combat it seems, unfortunately) but the ground combat is pretty fun/cool as long as you switch to menu controls instead of roguelike controls, which are the default but completely erase the slow plodding feel of the mech combat. Needs more ground combat content, probably just more content in general.

I'll try Gearhead 1 sometime this weekend, the old binary version crashes on launch for me so I'll have to figure out this whole compiling source code from github business.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Marcus Garvey posted:

I'll try Gearhead 1 sometime this weekend, the old binary version crashes on launch for me so I'll have to figure out this whole compiling source code from github business.

Sounds like you need the "sdlimage" pack that's a separate download for no sane reason.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was pretty hammered when trying gh2 but i couldnt get onto any useful wiki or manual for it. It seems like itd be fun if i understood what was happening. Im gonna give it a go again later.

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
To figure out some of the mechanics I just googled and used cached forum threads from the old dead gearhead forums to figure things out, and the in-game manual is sorta useful too. The controls are a pretty huge mess in general, you might want to have a look at gearhead.cfg to figure things out and definitely change the mech commands to menu instead of roguelike.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It's probably not optimal or anything but I always, always take mecha engineering. Can't resist frankensteining together a giant pile of poo poo that somehow lurches on in spite of itself.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
archive.org started adding Windows 3.1 programs and that means you can now play Castle of the Winds in your browser.

(They need to add episode 2 though since it's freeware)

Marcus Garvey
Oct 24, 2015
Getting freepascal set up is an absolute pain. Anyone just have a pre-compiled github source Gearhead 1/2 sitting around?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

victrix posted:

Oh yeah I know, I've bitched about it before at some length :v: The vast majority of them are gone or toned down, this was a very specific case (champion-only bone toss attack from a bone archer) that hits like a truck, can't be evaded afaik, and does a shitload of damage. iirc it was the same way my first Amaranth character bit the dust too.

I think I was doubly annoyed because I had just finished killing the gy boss and that dude walks around a corner and slaughters me. Never play tired, even a little tired. I would have blinked and left instantly, but noooo, I'm high level and have Cosmic gear, I'm strong and tough, and surely those guys aren't as deadly anymore! :rip: A summary of every roguelike death.

Something's fucky. :iiam:

Here's a level 15 undead melee ancient king. Hits super hard in melee, as you should expect when a monster is huge and purple and has "Ancient King" in the name.

Here's a level 15 undead archer ancient king. Once he buffs himself, he hits pretty hard too. His bone storm is 8 hits at 30% damage each, meaning one hit that is 240% of the base, if they all hit.

It seems like 1) they always all hit, gently caress you 2) he can do this poo poo from 7 tiles away, gently caress you

I'll make the bone storm something more interesting than just damage.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

It seems like 1) they always all hit, gently caress you 2) he can do this poo poo from 7 tiles away, gently caress you

Am I missing something, or are they all doing 240% damage instead of 30% damage, too? :stare:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Am I missing something, or are they all doing 240% damage instead of 30% damage, too? :stare:

Well they're hitting about 30% as hard as the melee ancient king in the other gif.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Each bone hits for 30% of a regular ranged attack, you can see it in the gif.

Lower tier Skeleton Rangermens have a 40% coefficient on the attack, as the base damage is much lower. I took a screenshot of the combat log showing a regular hit vs a bonestorm hit. Notice in that one, some of the bones are parried.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Okay, I was seeing numbers in the 2000s during the bone shower attack (whereas the other skeleton was more around 1300-1400); maybe that was just me failing to read the GIF properly.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so when does the new thread go up

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

after it has the amulet

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

resistentialism posted:

after it has the amulet

Lol

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

resistentialism posted:

after it has the amulet

Fantastic.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The roguelike thread: dive to page 360

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
>

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

resistentialism posted:

after it has the amulet

:eyepop:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

resistentialism posted:

after it has the amulet

:gary:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

resistentialism posted:

after it has the amulet

:boom:

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

resistentialism posted:

after it has the amulet

:drat:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

resistentialism posted:

after it has the amulet

sonofa

anyway it's coming, I swear

here are some test posts to explain why I'm taking so long

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=43028
http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=42987

Zombie Samurai is it cool if I use some of your write ups for games that I don't have anything for?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Jordan7hm posted:

Zombie Samurai is it cool if I use some of your write ups for games that I don't have anything for?

Go nuts, dude! I also have screenshots of drat near everything if you need them.

Kyzrati
Jun 27, 2015

MAIN.C
Ha, from a planned simple OP to book-length OP... what a mighty effort :hfive:

Btw, @Play also has a book as of this week: http://rodneylives.blogspot.tw/2016/02/the-book-is-out-play-exploring.html (currently available in a bundle, but will reportedly be sold separately via Amazon before long)

2014 was apparently the last year Doull's doing the poll because it became apparent that there was cheating going on (really all previous years were suspect as well, it just wasn't as rampant).

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
No, Noxico was finally recognized for the genius that it is and Big Roguelike couldn't stand the idea that people would stop playing games with original design docs twice their age.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kyzrati posted:

Ha, from a planned simple OP to book-length OP... what a mighty effort :hfive:

Btw, @Play also has a book as of this week: http://rodneylives.blogspot.tw/2016/02/the-book-is-out-play-exploring.html (currently available in a bundle, but will reportedly be sold separately via Amazon before long)

2014 was apparently the last year Doull's doing the poll because it became apparent that there was cheating going on (really all previous years were suspect as well, it just wasn't as rampant).

Hm, wasn't aware of that. I'll update.

Thanks for the info on the book, picking that bundle up immediately.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Go nuts, dude! I also have screenshots of drat near everything if you need them.

Thanks!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, I have tax return money burning a hole in my pocket. If there was one really good roguelike you had to recommend, which would it be? Currently, I'm vaguely leaning towards Cogmind, and already own Dungeonmans.

Edit TOO LATE, BOUGHT COGMIND. :byodame:

Edit2 Tell me how to be good at this game.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Feb 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

madjackmcmad posted:

Something's fucky. :iiam:

Here's a level 15 undead melee ancient king. Hits super hard in melee, as you should expect when a monster is huge and purple and has "Ancient King" in the name.

Here's a level 15 undead archer ancient king. Once he buffs himself, he hits pretty hard too. His bone storm is 8 hits at 30% damage each, meaning one hit that is 240% of the base, if they all hit.

:rip: my dungeonman that got one shot by that