Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

What? No, that would be dumb as hell, who told you that?
Some random page of TV tropes I ended up on, so probably not the most reliable source.

AlphaKretin posted:

You might be thinking of the final cutscene with Cloud and Zack in Shinra Mansion in FF7, that wasn't in the Japanese version (not that it was exactly hard to miss for us :v:).
Nah, but that kind of change is what made this sound plausible.

But it reminded me more of how they had to write the actual plot into the Advent Children rerelease, having put it only in supplemental materials the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The true FFX starts here

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
I noticed something interesting reading this LP. We see more of Sin visually as we learn more about him, culminating in the full view that we get after the events of Zanarkand.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Ludejano Elta posted:

That crystal path is opened by killing Spherimorph, actually. It makes it a lot easier to go back to the Thunder Plains to pick up Auron's sphere and grab the other one by the entrance to Macalania Woods to have Banishing Blade to wreck poo poo with .

Also makes it easy to backtrack to Besaid. Because. You know. International/HD Remasters gently caress you over on getting the sphere in Besaid until you can kill an Aeon with your bare hands.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Thinking on it, it's kind of weird we never got a full-fledged martial artist monk in the party. I mean, Auron comes kind of close, but even in his younger years he was swinging around a bigass sword, not going toe to toe with the things they faced. And Rikku's... Rikku.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Regalingualius posted:

Thinking on it, it's kind of weird we never got a full-fledged martial artist monk in the party. I mean, Auron comes kind of close, but even in his younger years he was swinging around a bigass sword, not going toe to toe with the things they faced. And Rikku's... Rikku.

I think the last true Monk in the series was Zell. Who, coincidentally, is also the best Monk in the series.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Who What Now posted:

I think the last true Monk in the series was Zell. Who, coincidentally, is also the best Monk in the series.

Amarant, Yda, and if you want to stretch it, Snow.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Doesn't Prishe also do a lot of punchy stuff? I never actually met her during my brief period of playing FFXI (I got one class to level 23 and that was about all I did), but I'm given to understand that her Dissidia fighting style (I never did play 012 either; the original Dissidia broke me, stupid Fusoya ghost card being a cheap bitch) involves a lot of fisticuffs.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't even know who two of those people are, but I'll take your word for it. Although I did forget Amarant.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Bufuman posted:

Doesn't Prishe also do a lot of punchy stuff? I never actually met her during my brief period of playing FFXI (I got one class to level 23 and that was about all I did), but I'm given to understand that her Dissidia fighting style (I never did play 012 either; the original Dissidia broke me, stupid Fusoya ghost card being a cheap bitch) involves a lot of fisticuffs.

Yep. She's an NPC character like Shantotto, though.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
NPC's obviously don't count. They're barely even people by the game's standards.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ApplesandOranges posted:

No one can confirm if Amarant was actually a monk because no one really used him .v:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
And Snow was more of an 'idiot punchman' than a monk.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Amarant was the "all the skills/archetypes nobody else is using" guy. He punched like a monk, had the Throw Weapon skill like a ninja, had some other odd esoteric abilities.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Speedball posted:

Amarant was the "all the skills/archetypes nobody else is using" guy. He punched like a monk, had the Throw Weapon skill like a ninja, had some other odd esoteric abilities.

He was also a giant chicken.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
He had a move that did Auto-Life + Regen to a character/all characters. I think that's the only skill I ever used with him.

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.

Speedball posted:

Amarant is basically a FFT character. He's a Monk with a subclass in Ninja. The majority of his skills (Wave Fist aka No Mercy, Chakra, Revive) are from the Monk or White Monk class in the FFT, FFTA or FFTA2 games.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Snow is a Monk to the extent that 13's system allows such archetypes. I still think it counts or I'd have to discount Fang as a Dragoon and that wouldn't be cool. :(

E: Sovereign Fist should have been Final Heaven though.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Since Resident Evil is somewhat relevant to LPs of past, here's a list of the streams I've uploaded from that game so far:

Resident Evil: Revelations - Goddammit Parker!
Episode 1-1 and 1-2
Episode 1-3
Episode 2-1
Episode 2-2

Proper update tomorrow. Unless something goes terribly awry, I ought to have regular updates every other day through the rest of the month. And more Resident Evil stream business shortly tonight in the same place, if you're into that sort of thing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i'd rather have parker on my team than wakka

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Looper posted:

i'd rather have parker on my team than wakka

That is because your taste is awful.

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Did I miss a stream or has it not happened yet? Id keeps posting notices of them while I'm still at work.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Onmi posted:

They are both huge doofuses. At least Parker has guns.

And a slightly less annoying accent.

Very slightly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Why is he named Parker if he has a Russian accent, anyway?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Onmi posted:

says someone in an ffx thread :chord:

Speedball posted:

he's/it's italian

if you like resident evil at all you should give revelations a shot

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Derek Barona posted:

Did I miss a stream or has it not happened yet? Id keeps posting notices of them while I'm still at work.

I only had a little time available tonight and it turned out the next episode was only like 30 minutes long total. I can push the recording Hitbox did up if you missed it.

Edit: Like so!

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 11, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah, of course. There can't just be a beautiful and functional addition to an area when you backtrack to it. It has to be a nurturing environment for Obscure Bullshit and his brother Blatant.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Speedball posted:

Like Looper said, Parker Luciani is Italian, but is voiced by an American voice actor (Kirk Thornton) doing his best attempt at an Italian accent. Then again, Resident Evil ain't exactly consistent with accents (see: Wesker's various VAs trying to go for a British-esque accent but failing).

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

AradoBalanga posted:

Like Looper said, Parker Luciani is Italian, but is voiced by an American voice actor (Kirk Thornton) doing his best attempt at an Italian accent. Then again, Resident Evil ain't exactly consistent with accents (see: Wesker's various VAs trying to go for a British-esque accent but failing).

I'm glad D.C.Douglas broke the bad accent when he was allowed to make the character his own. (If you get the chance, meet D.C. Douglas, he is a great person)

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The Repo Man posted:

I'm glad D.C.Douglas broke the bad accent when he was allowed to make the character his own. (If you get the chance, meet D.C. Douglas, he is a great person)
Yeah, god bless the ADR director for RE5 for letting Douglas just go all out for the role. It really helped make RE5 Wesker the beautiful gem he is. :allears:

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Looper posted:

says someone in an ffx thread :chord:

he's/it's italian

I thought it was a really bad Spanish accent. Close!

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

AradoBalanga posted:

They should have just got the Liquid Snake guy to do Weskers voice throughout the games, he would've loved camping it up for that role. Hell he could've used the same voice as Liquid, they're practically the same guy.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Cartoon Man posted:

They should have just got the Liquid Snake guy to do Weskers voice throughout the games, he would've loved camping it up for that role. Hell he could've used the same voice as Liquid, they're practically the same guy.

You mean Cam Clarke? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0c1y3vF9c

For some reason, I'm seesawing on seeing him as Wesker and not. He could possibly bring some of his camp to Wesker, but not quite as well as he did Liquid; at least that's how I feel.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Gilgamesh255 posted:

You mean Cam Clarke?

Unghh... Exquisite pain...

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Looper posted:

I dunno how 1 compares, its on my backlog, but RE:Rev2 was solid enough it got me to blind-buy into the series for the first time in 2015. Went from that to RE 4, 5, and currently 6 based on a sale on Steam. Fun games! Feel like I've been missing out.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gilgamesh255 posted:

You mean Cam Clarke? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0c1y3vF9c

For some reason, I'm seesawing on seeing him as Wesker and not. He could possibly bring some of his camp to Wesker, but not quite as well as he did Liquid; at least that's how I feel.

I love this dude, he voices everything, ever. He often shows up with his liquid snake voice in my kids cartoons. Cracks me up every time.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

AlphaKretin posted:

Unghh... Exquisite pain...

I've been replaying Tales of Symphonia lately (trying to get the last few titles I need for the platinum, stupid Flanoir scenes making me do 5 runs through the game for a plat) and I can't help but remember this poo poo every time Kratos talks. It's... a hosed-up experience, honestly.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The Dark Id posted:

This is it! The agree upon meeting spot with the pair of glaring tree elves.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Bufuman posted:

I've been replaying Tales of Symphonia lately (trying to get the last few titles I need for the platinum, stupid Flanoir scenes making me do 5 runs through the game for a plat) and I can't help but remember this poo poo every time Kratos talks. It's... a hosed-up experience, honestly.

Drakengard has been known to gently caress things up across universes, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Episode CII: Our Trusty Onion Knight

New Music: Guadosalam (Piano Version)

So we've collected the Celestial Mirror. Now what? Well, first up we are going to take another quick trip to Baaj Temple to clear out the last of that endgame location.

Remember that treasure chest out in the Geosgaeno boss arena that we couldn't open due to not having a powered up mirror?

Gueeeeeess what the Celestial Mirror does?

And with that, we obtain the Onion Knight: Lulu's Celestial Weapon! A stout adventurer knight hailing from Catarina, the Onion K—wait no. Wrong series. The Onion Knight was the default job class in Final Fantasy III, the originator of the longstanding Job system of the series. So, how's the stats of Lulu's ultimate weapon look...?

Uhh... huh... No AP and...

Are you taking the piss, Final Fantasy X?!

So, since nothing is ever remotely simple in Final Fantasy X's Endgame, just obtaining a Celestial Weapon is not enough. Oh no! The lesson was learned from Final Fantasy VIII. No more crafting an ultimate weapon disc 1 for you, buddy! One must also obtain a special Crest and Sigil as well, to power up a Celestial Weapon.

The Crest is usually the simple part. It's just an item hidden somewhere out in the world. Lulu's is sitting in the Farplane back in Guadosalam. We merely need to float back there for a spell and pick it up. How would we know this? “gently caress you, that's how,” Final Fantasy X's Endgame would say to you.

The Sigil, on the other hand, is where the dog poo poo part usually comes into. We'll get to that in due time.

The party flies to Guadosalam and is immediately stopped by Tromell. We could actually get this scene at any time Post-Bevelle.

"You wanna start something?"
”Cuz we've killed Seymour like 2-3 times now and he was way tougher looki—well, at least tougher than you!”

“...then burn me, boil me, it matters not.”
”Eww... No, man. Ugh. Now I got like... boiled tree elf stew stuck in my imagination and bleh. There goes my appetite for another couple months.”
“Lord Seymour is gone. No lord rises to take his place. The Guado merely wait for Sin to come and finish us off. Why should I care what you do to me? If it meant rejoining Lord Jyscal and Lord Seymour... then your taking off my head would be the greatest kindness."
”You know he's like an uns—“
“Doomed! The Guado fall to ruin with the master gone...”

Yeah, so apparently Tromell and the Guado have no idea that Seymour is still wandering around as an unsent after all this time. Apparently they just dragged his corpse back to Guadosalam, Seymour popped back up like Creeper Jesus in the middle of the night and took off, and these fools just figure he returned to the Farplane.

Any case, that's Tromell's final scene if you were wondering what became of Seymour's retainer following his vow to take care of Guado business. Almost everyone left alive at this point has a final hidden scene if you poke around the world in the Endgame. Though quite a few require us to trigger the next major plot event in Bevelle.

Don't worry, I know where everything is. You don't have to throw up a CIA document outlining it. :v:

The word around Guadosalam in general is moody and full of despair with Seymour being triple dead. Plus that whole disastrous Guado campaign to Home which resulted in the death of literally everyone involved. There's a reason we've only seen two combatant Guado since then and those two dropped off a crappy boss fight and booked it. Cid essentially nuked the better part of the able bodied young male Guado population taking out Home.

Nothing about the tree elves plight that they brought entirely upon themselves, just like every dickweed elven race in fantasy. Our only interest is a trip back into the Farplane for that aforementioned Crest. Unlike every other Yevon holy site at the moment, nobody is guarding the actual gate to the Spira afterlife. Heck, there's not even anyone around. Unless you count the crestfallen Tromell out by the entrance goading us into a mercy killing.

Welcome home, good hunter. What is it you des—ergh. Wrong game. There's actually a hidden scene here if we return any time after the first visit.

Hey, Lulu. Saaaaay! I remember murdering that lady back to get PayToWin!

“I'll come back to let you know how things went. I hope I'll bring back... good news."

Yep. That's it. That's the scene. Now we have 100% exhausted all of Lulu's additional scenes and backstory. I have no idea why they didn't just throw Lulu having a vision of Lady Ginnem back when everyone else was doing the Farplane thing. But, who am I to question the dumb design decisions of Final Fantasy X at this point?

Anyway, the Venus Crest is just shoved in a treasure chest behind some rocks to the left side of the Farplane lookout. No other scenes involving the departed or anything cool in the Farplane beyond this. Just look some swag and the area is exhausted.

So that's one half of the tools needed to power-up Lulu's Celestial Weapon. The other half just so happens to be one area over...

So this next part: You 100% need a No Encounter item. It's a rare armor drop from Ghosts back in the Cavern of Stolen Fayth. If you want an annoying time, there's a 50% chance of the Baaj Temple giant murderfish boss dropping the only weapon in the game with a No Encounter ability. I tried to make it drop three fights and no dice.

You can also craft one. You could go back to Zanarkand Dome and pickpocket Fallen Monks for Purifying Salts. It's a rare drop. But doable. You could also do the Monster Arena quest bollocks capturing four of every dragon type fiend to get 99 Purifying Salts that way. But gently caress that noise.

Easiest way is probably to capture a Ghost from the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth then savescum the Monster Arena until it gives a good drop. Up to you! Regardless, this next part is almost impossible without one.

New Music: Thunder Plateau (Piano Version)

Now that things are sorted out, I'm pretty sure sure you know why we are in the Thunder Plains.

The Lightning Dodging Mini-Game! Mini-Game is a very generous term. Challenge? “Bullshit waste of my goddamn time!” is my preferred nomenclature.

So, in order to obtain Lulu's full powered Celestial Weapon: Onion Knight we need to dodge 200 lightning strikes in the Thunder Plains. Here's the actual stipulations for this challenge:
  • 200 Lightning Dodges.
  • This must be done consecutively. All right now. All in a row. gently caress up once? Back to 0 total.
  • You CAN pause the game. It's not recommended. It'll mess up your concentration.
  • You cannot save and continue. Just hitting the Save Sphere will reset the counter.
  • You gotta be away from those lighting rod towers. I'm pretty sure if you go into their range, your total is reset. If not, good luck getting back into the groove when you determine the dead zone where lightning kicks back in.
  • You cannot change screens. Hit Guadosalam or the Al Bhed Travel Agency? You've done goofed. Start again!
  • Oh by the way this mini-game is calibrated for a CRT TV. Good loving luck if you're playing the original game on a modern screen with its inherent delay. I'm told they patched it, but this is something they definitely hosed up initially with the HD Remaster and made this part nearly impossible.
  • Oh by the way there's no counter. You just need to keep track in your head. Good luck. Thank you for playing!

In case you're wondering, Lightning strikes about every 6-8 seconds. With sometimes a quick follow-up 3-4 seconds afterwards. There are a couple spots on the map where lighting strikes a bit more reliably. Regardless, doing this legit is still about 20 minutes of your life down the drain watching a screen flash white and tapping X in turn.

There is a trophy behind this on the HD Remaster Version. There's a trophy behind all the incredibly lovely parts of Final Fantasy X's end game. Even the not entirely required ones (Read: Getting all items in that Chocobo Race Maze under Remiem Temple.)

But if you can survive the test of the Thunder Plains to the end...

The Bilghen Memorial Travel Agency is proud to honor you with this prize.

Trophy Unlocked: Lightning Dancer. :toot:

So uhh... we're still not done yet. We now have all three components to power-up Onion Knight. But, we failed to recruit a blacksmith party member. And no matter how much Tidus tries to mash these parts together, nothing is happening.

To complete the ritual for the first ultimate weapon, we need to return once more to Macalania Woods. Specifically, we need to return back to the uhh... pod. The sky pod? I'm just going to call it a Seed of Resurrection. Cross-LP brand consistency for giant weird orbs.

So apparently the Seed of Resurrection can talk. I'm assuming it's talking? I dunno. Do not ask for an explanation for any part of the Celestial Weapons proceedings. It's a video game and they wanted to sell overpriced strategy guides to the Japanese market. gently caress you. That's your answer.

We can now present our weapon and its components to this celestial emissary. Yep. We need to come back here and do this... Every. Single. Time.

Oh did I say every single time? My mistake. I was generalizing things. I meant, twice. Every single time. Presenting both the Crest and Sigil at the same time is far too much work for the Seed of Resurrection. It wants to power up one at a time. The Venus Crest adds Double Overdrive to Onion Knight. That is, Overdrive now charges at double the rate. Not performing the attack twice. That would take forever!

And NOW, Onion Knight is at its maximum power. With it equipped, Lulu has her Magic Booster, all magic now costs a single MP, her Overdrive charges at triple the rate, and she has broken the 9999 damage cap. There's now another digit on the end there.

There's also a few undocumented features. Onion Knight does more damage the closer Lulu is to her maximum MP. It's got a weird damage formula, because of course it does. According to the Final Fantasy Wiki it is:

(10 + [100 * User's current MP ÷ User's Max MP]) ÷ 110

Also, Yuna's Shiva Nora aeon has broken its damage cap and can now do 99,999 damage. Not sure how these things are related. But neat!

In any case, that is one Celestial Weapon down... six more remain... :suicide:

Video: Episode 102 Highlight Reel

• Locked thread