Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tiggum posted:

I've switched from Opera to Vivaldi and it's mostly close enough to how I want it to work, but one thing does keep irritating me. In Opera, I could select text that was part of a hyperlink. In Vivaldi it seems to just drag the hyperlink for some reason. Is there any way to fix that?

If I'm not being clear, what I mean is that, on this page for example, if I try to select the words "Opera Thread" it won't let me, like this:

I'm not seeing a setting for it, but you could probably make a feature request for a toggle between click-and-dragging hyperlinks and selecting text in them. Devs are active in devblog comments, and I believe they are also active enough on their forum (though I haven't been around there too much). In any case given their mission statement for Vivaldi I think they'd want to add customisation where they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Polsy posted:

What (if any) error do you get if you try to open https://forums.somethingawful.com/css/main.css?1420404660 ?

Internal communication error

e: http works

Wheany fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Feb 8, 2016

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Wheany posted:

Weird. Sounds lke the same thing as people are getting over in The Technical Thread though so that's likely to be the first place it gets figured out.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Wheany posted:

Same here. Maybe they changed something with the SSL on those sheets.

Oh poo poo, this is not good. Logging in is broken as well:

Inspector Palmu posted:

After clearing the cache I can no longer log in with Opera. The browser gives me an "Internal communication error" for forums.somethingawful.com/account.php, whatever that means (404?).

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Tiggum posted:

If I'm high (or low) enough to not drag the link it just selects from the start (or end) of the line. :confused:

Works for me on Vivaldi and all other browsers on Windows 10. It might work differently on another OS. Also, when I drag a link, it doesn't display the URL like in your screenshot, so I'm thinking it might be an OS thing.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't know how useful this is as a data point, but I'm on Win 7 and getting the drag with URL displayed behavior. Selecting from slightly above (but not below!) the link lets me select text in the middle of it.

EDIT: For some reason I have to click really close to the top of the link to get it to work for links in posts, though.

HMS Boromir fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 8, 2016

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
That "issue" of being unable to directly highlight linked text is my most hated thing about Chrome (and it looks like any chrome-based browser).

gently caress you and your attempt at "helpfulness"

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Has anyone using vivaldi figured out how to make the old Opera thing where holding left click and pressing right click will go forward and holding right and clicking left goes back? Also is there any extension that makes an irc in a tab that functions like Opera 12

jsoh fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 9, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

jsoh posted:

Has anyone using vivaldi figured out how to make the old Opera thing where holding left click and pressing right click will go forward and holding right and clicking left goes back?

Does it not work for you? I've always been able to do it, and I can't find any setting that looks like it would disable it.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Huh it actually totally works and I don't know what the gently caress was going on a minute ago when it didn't. I'm idiot

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

lurksion posted:

That "issue" of being unable to directly highlight linked text is my most hated thing about Chrome (and it looks like any chrome-based browser).

gently caress you and your attempt at "helpfulness"
I can highlight linked text in Chrome...

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a selection for a (more reliable than I'm using) script blocker for Vivaldi? I'm currently using ScriptBlock 1.3.0 out of the Chrome extensions catalog, but after a few clicks per session it gives up loading the settings UI until I restart Vivaldi. Example below. I click and all I get is a cute little arrow instead of the Allow/Block/Temp dialog.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 9, 2016

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

I can highlight linked text in Chrome...

Try starting to highlight text in the middle of a link.

As for Vivaldi, is there a way to add menu entries to links to open them in other browsers?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

For now i just url-blocked the https files, and force-load them with a userjs from http, so can stil read SA in a fast browser while i figure out how to make vivaldi less poo poo.

https://gist.github.com/wchristian/879763f4b37202f1b146

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

HMS Boromir posted:

I don't know how useful this is as a data point, but I'm on Win 7 and getting the drag with URL displayed behavior. Selecting from slightly above (but not below!) the link lets me select text in the middle of it.

EDIT: For some reason I have to click really close to the top of the link to get it to work for links in posts, though.

I just tried again and apparently I was doing it wrong. Below still doesn't work, but with a bit of practice I can get it to work fairly consistently from above.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I just tried again and apparently I was doing it wrong. Below still doesn't work, but with a bit of practice I can get it to work fairly consistently from above.

You can select text in links by clicking above because you click outside the square that is the actual link, and enable "select mode" there; but it doesn't actually set the selection start point there because you haven't clicked on a text element. As you slide down onto the text, it then sets the start position where your cursor enters the text. I assume this would not work if the link is buried in a paragraph of text without padding between the lines, since you'd always end up with the cursor in the line above.

It is really dumb and they expect you to just select outside, and edit your selection afterwards.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Good news, whatever issue it was was temporary and has fixed itself in the meantime. At least for some people.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

jsoh posted:

Also is there any extension that makes an irc in a tab that functions like Opera 12

No need for an extension, per se; you can add it as a web panel if it's a web-based IRC. I've done that with Steam's web chat myself. You could check the Google store for pure IRC extensions otherwise

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Mithaldu posted:

Same here. Maybe they changed something with the SSL on those sheets.

Oh poo poo, this is not good. Logging in is broken as well:

12 only supports old, generally-considered-broken TLS implementations, so it's going to get harder and harder to use as everyone gets better about/at encrypting everything. The only solution I can think of is connecting through a proxy that speaks the new TLS suites to the world and the old ones to Opera, which is basically MITMing yourself :(

Can Opera use a proxy that's not set up as the web proxy for the whole system? This is really only feasible if only Opera 12 (and any other old un-patched software) can be shunted through the proxy or if the proxy can silently pass through newer implementations because modern browsers will probably start throwing up error pages for outdated crypto pretty soon.

FWT THE CUTTER
Oct 16, 2007

weed
Re: Selecting link text - there's an extension/add-on called 'Select like a Boss' for Chrome/Firefox, with it you can drag left/right to select the text and up/down to drag the link. Use that.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So i've downloaded and giving that Vivaldi browser a tryout, i've imported my chrome bookmarks and installed a ton of extensions that i have in my chrome browser. Anyhow when i try to view twitch i get "Could not load plugin" and when watching YouTube i get no sound. Wondering if there's a fix for this or do i need to un-install re-install flash player or something ??

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Making it Rain posted:

So i've downloaded and giving that Vivaldi browser a tryout, i've imported my chrome bookmarks and installed a ton of extensions that i have in my chrome browser. Anyhow when i try to view twitch i get "Could not load plugin" and when watching YouTube i get no sound. Wondering if there's a fix for this or do i need to un-install re-install flash player or something ??

You might need to install PPAPI flash. Go to adobe's get flash page, select "download flash for a different computer", and from the dropdown pick the Opera & Chromium/PPAPI version.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

Can Opera use a proxy that's not set up as the web proxy for the whole system?
See thread title. :)

You can actually switch proxy usage on/off per *site* (though not which proxy).

Do you know any proxy software that can be used to handle SSL types Opera doesn't do?

FWT THE CUTTER posted:

Re: Selecting link text - there's an extension/add-on called 'Select like a Boss' for Chrome/Firefox, with it you can drag left/right to select the text and up/down to drag the link. Use that.
That is literally Opera's way of doing selection.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Making it Rain posted:

I get the no sound in YouTube problem. I haven't been able to fix it, so I just load videos in Firefox.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

YF-23 posted:

You might need to install PPAPI flash. Go to adobe's get flash page, select "download flash for a different computer", and from the dropdown pick the Opera & Chromium/PPAPI version.

Alright just tried that and twitch & youtube video's work/play but no sound :(

so far un-installed flash etc then rebooted then clean re-install of flash didn't work, a google search mentioned un-installing chrome then re-installing that didn't work either.

Under the plugin menu it now doesn't show the chrome flash only adobe's flash player/s

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edit: Disregard this, I was just confused about something.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Feb 10, 2016

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Making it Rain posted:

Funny, it's usually Linux users that get these weird problems. :v:

I went looking on the vivaldi forums and there was a recent post with a similar problem that seemed to be caused by using ffdshow. Any chance that could be it?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

http://recode.net/2016/02/09/opera-gets-1-2-billion-buyout-offer-from-chinese-consortium-that-includes-qihoo-360/

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

It's "funny" how Opera is still being called a browser maker, when 75% of their income come from a mobile advertisement network.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I just switched from Chrome Opera to Vivaldi Chrome and so far I like it, especially since adblock and lastpass work properly now. Performance is a bit wonky on my laptop when it's on battery but otherwise quite solid. Very happy they fixed blurry text on HI-DPI screens.

That buyout makes me squeamish so I guess it's a good thing I'm switching over :q:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
That article made me sad. It's like the last nail in the coffin for what used to be an awesome company that made awesome products :smithcloud:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Making it Rain posted:

so far un-installed flash etc then rebooted then clean re-install of flash didn't work, a google search mentioned un-installing chrome then re-installing that didn't work either.
For the record, heres my vivaldi flash plugin that works fine with youtube and twitch (on Win8.1)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
YouTube works just fine without Flash FYI.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Mithaldu posted:

See thread title. :)

Hah, fair enough.

quote:

You can actually switch proxy usage on/off per *site* (though not which proxy).

Do you know any proxy software that can be used to handle SSL types Opera doesn't do?

Nope, sorry. Just a thing I've been thinking about because of the headlong rush into https everyone's been on: what happens to all this legacy stuff people still use? I don't think it'd be all that hard to get a simple passthrough proxy working on Windows, but working properly without making the user even less secure is a whole 'nother thing.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

http://www.opera.com/blogs/desktop/2016/02/stillyouropera-for-computers/

#StillYourOpera :george:

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Munkeymon posted:

Nope, sorry. Just a thing I've been thinking about because of the headlong rush into https everyone's been on: what happens to all this legacy stuff people still use? I don't think it'd be all that hard to get a simple passthrough proxy working on Windows, but working properly without making the user even less secure is a whole 'nother thing.
I think as long as i only run it on my local machine, security is not an isue. I poked stackoverflow to see if maybe something falls out. :haw:

The comments are worth a read. Not only is Opera's willingness to lie to their customers amazing (i'd call it delusion if i didn't already know they'll happily lie), but even their chinese users hate the acquisition, and the misdeeds qihoo have perpetrated are quite the read as well.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Mithaldu posted:

The comments are worth a read. Not only is Opera's willingness to lie to their customers amazing (i'd call it delusion if i didn't already know they'll happily lie), but even their chinese users hate the acquisition, and the misdeeds qihoo have perpetrated are quite the read as well.
I'm sure the ceo is crying while he rows away in his boat.

... MADE OF MONEY!!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Godamnit I just realized I'll probably have to ditch Opera on mobile :(. It's the best godamn browser by a LONG shot. No one else's auto word wrap comes close to how good Opera's is.

Anyone have any good alternative browsers for Android?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Stanley Pain posted:

Godamnit I just realized I'll probably have to ditch Opera on mobile :(.
Oh yeah, good call, i'll have to look into that as well. Though i already despise browsing on mobile so it doesn't impact me as hard.

I might just try switching to Dolphin or Chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

spoon0042 posted:

Funny, it's usually Linux users that get these weird problems. :v:

I went looking on the vivaldi forums and there was a recent post with a similar problem that seemed to be caused by using ffdshow. Any chance that could be it?

Couldn't work out how to check this ffdshow, most i could find was a link to codecguide with 101 different guide's.

Anyhow i've gotten over trying to work this issue out and gone back to FF, it's a drat nice browser but this sound issue was driving me banana's trying to fix.

it's the only browser that has given me this sound/video issue, sure i'd expect this type of issue on my *nix machine but not on win7

But yeah thanx for the tips/suggestions much appreciated. :)