Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

The nvidia conference is in April right? How soon after can we expect the new gen of cards in stores?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

afkmacro posted:

The nvidia conference is in April right? How soon after can we expect the new gen of cards in stores?

Somewhere between holy poo poo Titan XYZ dropping right then and a few months after AMD's. Have fun, we ought to make a betting pool.

I'm personally in the camp of advising people waiting on Pascal that Polaris should be a good sneak peek of next gen's performance.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

xthetenth posted:

Somewhere between holy poo poo Titan XYZ dropping right then and a few months after AMD's. Have fun, we ought to make a betting pool.

I'm personally in the camp of advising people waiting on Pascal that Polaris should be a good sneak peek of next gen's performance.

"A few months" might be up to two quarters later, and it looks like I may have been wrong about AMDs release strategy (shocker) - looks like It's Ellesmere (Polaris11) and Vega (Polaris10) being released. If Vega is potent enough, it can still make some sense to release it as a Halotier product without interfering with Fury, 390 and 380 sales, like think single chip 28-32TFLOP. I mean closest we know to a price for Vega is 1700$ and would anyone really be surprised at a 14nm HBM2 product launching at roughly 1300-1500$?

Ellesmere though will functionally replace the 370 and below in capability which won't really hurt AMD and allows them first foot in on mobile 14nm which they desperately need, and hopefully their mobile line up can compete with everything but the 980M/980.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Do keep in mind that prototype cards are generally valued much higher than their production counterparts.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
this just in 15 hours ago, the review we've all been waiting for

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/video-card-review-geforce-gtx-980-ti-vs-radeon-r9-fury-x/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Obviously a bunch of nvidia shills.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Where the new cards?

Where are my 4k 30" IPS @ 144hz monitors?

:smith:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Tab8715 posted:

Where the new cards?

Where are my 4k 30" OLED @ 144hz monitors?

:smith:

FTFY. I mean, shoot for the moon :v:

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

I like that they needed a Physicist/Professor to tell me what I knew seven months ago.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
1075 mhz clock on the 980ti too lol

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

Looking to upgrade my MSI 560Ti. Would the MSI 970 be a decent choice for upgrade? Right now I'm playing XCOM 2 on minimum graphics and it's pretty sad.

Allen_Aldo
Jul 8, 2013

E.J.Olmos posted:

Looking to upgrade my MSI 560Ti. Would the MSI 970 be a decent choice for upgrade? Right now I'm playing XCOM 2 on minimum graphics and it's pretty sad.

Not as knowledgeable about upgrades as many on here, but that should be an upgrade as long as you don't go over 1080p, if so, you should consider a 980ti. Also, keep in mind that XCOM2 has framerate problems and not great performance across the board right now.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

E.J.Olmos posted:

A 970 would be a huge upgrade over a 560ti

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

A 970 would be a huge upgrade over a 560ti

Yeah was surprised to realise how many years I'd had the thing.

Allen_Aldo posted:

Not as knowledgeable about upgrades as many on here, but that should be an upgrade as long as you don't go over 1080p, if so, you should consider a 980ti. Also, keep in mind that XCOM2 has framerate problems and not great performance across the board right now.

My main monitor is a Dell U2410 running at 1920x1200 - should I be looking at the 980 for that? Looking a the price difference it is a bit more of a jump.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm
I wish I was more aware of the impact resolution has before I got this 1600p monitor. My 780 is really showing its age on Rainbow Six Siege and XCOM 2. The 980 Ti is starting to look real attractive, but the second I click "place order" Pascal will drop with a 3792% performance bump.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

E.J.Olmos posted:

My main monitor is a Dell U2410 running at 1920x1200 - should I be looking at the 980 for that? Looking a the price difference it is a bit more of a jump.
I run a 290 on the same resolution (small desk) and it handles pretty much everything on max. A 970 should be fine unless you're getting a huge monitor any time soon.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

E.J.Olmos posted:

I use a Dell U2415, it's the same resolution as your monitor and my 970 handles everything fine. Also the 980 is only like 15% faster on average than the 970.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Bishyaler posted:

I wish I was more aware of the impact resolution has before I got this 1600p monitor. My 780 is really showing its age on Rainbow Six Siege and XCOM 2. The 980 Ti is starting to look real attractive, but the second I click "place order" Pascal will drop with a 3792% performance bump.

Yeah its almost exactly like running two 1080p monitors, the 980ti would be my preferred card for that resolution (and even then it would slow down a bit in some scenarios). But you're right, we're getting awkwardly close to release dates.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bishyaler posted:

My dual 980Tis struggle to hit 60fps in XCom without turning settings down from "high", at 1440p. Don't judge your card too harshly on that game, it's really just crappy optimization.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

E.J.Olmos posted:

I have a 560ti and my nephew who lives with me has a 970 at 1080p the 970 is about 3 times faster than the 560ti. That's with the 560ti on medium settings and the 970 on max BUT with anti aliasing on FXAA on bothcars because real anti aliasing murders frames in xcom2 specifically.

Also keep in mind xcom2 is new and really needs a driver update and a few patches to iron out performance issues.

But yeah its an old card now and totally worth upgrading.

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

Ok sounds like the 970 will do the job then.. unless the next generation are actually really near to being out? I see the 900 series was 2014 so over a year and a half old now.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.
Echoing the XCOM2 sentiments: with all settings maxed minus AA I'm only at ~60% average GPU load on a Fury X, but my FPS bottom out like crazy around level loading and scene transitions. By all appearances it's a CPU and drive hog that's optimized for poo poo. I imagine a 970 would run 1080p without a hitch once they de-beta the entire engine.

e: No one has a real clue as to when the next gen is coming nor what it offers. The 970 is your best bet.

ZobarStyl fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 10, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

E.J.Olmos posted:

Ok sounds like the 970 will do the job then.. unless the next generation are actually really near to being out? I see the 900 series was 2014 so over a year and a half old now.

So I was in a similar boat as you with a 570, and what I did was buy a used 770 and sell my 570. I intend to ride that out until the 1070(or whatever) is available and then jump there. The alternative is the 970 (which would be a gigantic step up for you) and riding that out for longer. I think either path is pretty solid.

E.J.Olmos
Jan 1, 2008

Will have a look at options and then decide.

Thanks for the help folks!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Captain Hair posted:

I have a 560ti and my nephew who lives with me has a 970 at 1080p the 970 is about 3 times faster than the 560ti. That's with the 560ti on medium settings and the 970 on max BUT with anti aliasing on FXAA on bothcars because real anti aliasing murders frames in xcom2 specifically.

Also keep in mind xcom2 is new and really needs a driver update and a few patches to iron out performance issues.

But yeah its an old card now and totally worth upgrading.

I'm thinking it'll need the sort of driver update that screams oh gently caress no and replaces half the render chain. Seriously, it's chugging harder than tomb raider a setting lower. Granted TR got a real nice update that makes my 290 look good but XCOM looks like something I'd run on my surface no problems.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 10, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ZobarStyl posted:

Echoing the XCOM2 sentiments: with all settings maxed minus AA I'm only at ~60% average GPU load on a Fury X, but my FPS bottom out like crazy around level loading and scene transitions. By all appearances it's a CPU and drive hog that's optimized for poo poo. I imagine a 970 would run 1080p without a hitch once they de-beta the entire engine.

e: No one has a real clue as to when the next gen is coming nor what it offers. The 970 is your best bet.

It is a firaxis game, after all.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Just give it a year, it'll run well on an AM1 by then

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Looks like they missed the most important metric that is the 'FPS per inch'.

AMD totally wins that, hands down.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ZobarStyl posted:

Echoing the XCOM2 sentiments: with all settings maxed minus AA I'm only at ~60% average GPU load on a Fury X, but my FPS bottom out like crazy around level loading and scene transitions.

I believe the fix for this is hitting your caps lock right before it starts loading.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rigged Death Trap posted:

It is a firaxis game, after all.

It's turn based, so the fact it doesn't run as well as it should doesn't affect enjoyment of the game, and it's brilliant game at that.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
If you're trying to run XCOM2 right now, turn off any kind of MSAA/FXAA. Shier current implementation is dogshit and the game will run near 100% fluently on Ultra otherwise. Doing a 4590/290X @ 1440p with those settings and hitting above 60fps regularly. Also turn off vsync, which is also hot garbage.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

FaustianQ posted:

If you're trying to run XCOM2 right now, turn off any kind of MSAA/FXAA. Shier current implementation is dogshit and the game will run near 100% fluently on Ultra otherwise. Doing a 4590/290X @ 1440p with those settings and hitting above 60fps regularly. Also turn off vsync, which is also hot garbage.
Does DSR/whatever AMD calls it work for smoothing the picture out?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

HalloKitty posted:

It's turn based, so the fact it doesn't run as well as it should doesn't affect enjoyment of the game, and it's brilliant game at that.

Nah I just meant Firaxis like to tie a lot of performance into the CPU. In Civ 5 people got massive gains from a processor upgrade. Things like 10-25 fps better iirc.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Does DSR/whatever AMD calls it work for smoothing the picture out?

Isn't it all just a fancy name for Supersampling AA?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

HalloKitty posted:

Not as far as I know. Pretty sure supersampling AA is more complex. DSR is just "render at a higher resolution then downscale for display". So if Xcom 2's AA support is hosed but high resolutions work fine it seems like an easy workaround.

I know some games weren't compatible with supersampling AA but AFAIK everything that can render at high rez works with DSR.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

Hacky brute force SSAA that trades a lovely sampling pattern for compatibility. The game doesn't seem to like resolution as far as I can tell, I'm running medium at 3440x1440 and it's performing worse than Tomb Raider on high. I doubt it's my 4790k either, since dropping settings lets me hit higher frame rates easily.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

HalloKitty posted:

yes

Literally speaking it isn't, but practically it is. Same performance hit, same result. The advantage of DSR is how it handles different resolutions.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Unless you're running an Ultrawide monitor; then, uh, it doesn't. Not supported, it says. ;_;

GeDoSaTo still works, though! :haw:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 11, 2016

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I posted here before about my 280X's temperature problems. After thoroughly cleaning and repasting the heatsink I saw a 10-15C drop in temperatures, but recently I've been seeing crashes while playing games. It turns out that under load, the card's temperature steadily rises until it hits 75C, at which point it immediately crashes the entire system. It's 100% reproducible, seems to happen sooner or later in every game, and only takes a minute to do in FurMark. Even at 100% fan speed. It's like the heatsink is literally incapable of dissipating heat fast enough. There's a couple of things that make this situation pretty weird.

First, I got this card refurbished in July of 2014, and the heat problems didn't start until this past summer. Is it possible for the cooler to degrade over time? It's not even a stock blower or anything, it's an MSI GAMING 3G. Second, it's strange that the failure point is 75C. That's new, from within the last few days. Last summer the problem was that the card would hit 100C and then throttle to 500 MHz, and the repasting fixed that. I'm not sure what would cause this behavior, could the GPU itself be damaged?

I'd be willing to try one of those Arctic aftermarket coolers, but their website doesn't seem to have a compatibility list for specific boards. Does anyone know if the GAMING 3G uses a different PCB than a stock 280X? I could also just buy a 970 but that's a last resort option right now, I'd rather keep a perfectly good card and wait for Pascal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
If you're crashing at 75c, your card is not right, it should be able to run at much higher temps than that, plus it should throttle rather than crash. My HD7950 will run all day at 85-90c, and throttles at temps much above that.

Do you have any warranty left?

\/ good point \/

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 12, 2016