Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
After upgrading to Windows 10...I now have IIS listening on port 80? I noticed it because my vagrant box failed to come up due to conflicting port forwarding.

code:
$ curl -sv [url]http://localhost[/url]
* Rebuilt URL to: [url]http://localhost/[/url]
* timeout on name lookup is not supported
*   Trying ::1...
* Connected to localhost (::1) port 80 (#0)
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: localhost
> User-Agent: curl/7.44.0
> Accept: */*
>
< HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
< Server: Microsoft-IIS/10.0
< Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 23:20:30 GMT
< Content-Length: 0
<
* Connection #0 to host localhost left intact
I went to disable anything IIS related but it gives me this scary dialog box that mentions stuff I'm not familiar with:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I know you're an advanced computer science guy, but make sure you've installed all the latest updates since Windows Update is now much better at grabbing latest drivers for things than previous versions.
Yeah, it updated itself over time and installed the proper device descriptions.

In regards to Storage Spaces, I suppose it plays well enough with iSCSI disks? I was wondering whether I could replicate my Linux setup where an iSCSI extent has been backed by a local SSD as second level cache (which Storage Spaces is supposed to be able to do). Like this I could create sort of a 1-2TB partition for games on my server, and have it act like an SSD.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

fletcher posted:

After upgrading to Windows 10...I now have IIS listening on port 80? I noticed it because my vagrant box failed to come up due to conflicting port forwarding.

code:
$ curl -sv [url]http://localhost[/url]
* Rebuilt URL to: [url]http://localhost/[/url]
* timeout on name lookup is not supported
*   Trying ::1...
* Connected to localhost (::1) port 80 (#0)
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: localhost
> User-Agent: curl/7.44.0
> Accept: */*
>
< HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
< Server: Microsoft-IIS/10.0
< Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 23:20:30 GMT
< Content-Length: 0
<
* Connection #0 to host localhost left intact
I went to disable anything IIS related but it gives me this scary dialog box that mentions stuff I'm not familiar with:

That's fine, you won't miss any of those features if you don't actually know what they do.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, it updated itself over time and installed the proper device descriptions.

In regards to Storage Spaces, I suppose it plays well enough with iSCSI disks? I was wondering whether I could replicate my Linux setup where an iSCSI extent has been backed by a local SSD as second level cache (which Storage Spaces is supposed to be able to do). Like this I could create sort of a 1-2TB partition for games on my server, and have it act like an SSD.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but from what I remember from thinking of doing something like it, is that Windows 10 does have storage spaces but does not allow you to create a storage tier. Looked again and seems like you can now make a storage tier since build 10565.

Da Mott Man fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 10, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Cool, thanks. I've looked into it, and it apparently requires a scheduled task that fumbles around with the data, it doesn't happen live. That's rather not cool.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Looks like it's just a standard thing, all my Windows 10 boxes here have port 80 open too :rolleyes: Surely there are better IPC options than IIS on port 80?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
From what I can remember of my limited testing last summer, all of my UPGRADE installs of Win10 enabled IIS (despite it not being active in the current OS) but all of my CLEAN installs did not. I ran into it on every upgraded PC because one of the apps set to autorun at start (XBMC/KODI) tried to use port 80 and naturally barfed an error.

I fixed it in the short term by opening up services.msc then stopping and disabling the IIS service. I fixed it in the long term by doing clean installs everywhere for other reasons.

All I can think is that something in the upgrade process itself requires IIS running, and then it's never re-disabled after the fact.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I fixed the port 80 thing by disabling the "World Web Web Publishing Service" in services.msc

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Ever since my initial install of windows 10 from back in the developer preview, it's been using all my bandwidth to download updates instead of doing it in the background using minimal bandwidth as it's done previously. It's so bad that I can't even browse a plain text site while it's downloading updates.
Luckily it stops downloading if I mark my Wi-Fi network as metered, but I'd rather just have it download in the background as before. Is there done setting anywhere that might be driving this behavior? It happens whether the new update sharing to others on my network is enabled or not.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just did a clean install of Windows 10 home and what the gently caress why did Microsoft think "clean install" means to include loving Candy Crush and a poo poo ton of other shitapps that I'm never going to use? Is there really no way to do a barebones install with no added bullshit?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just did a clean install of Windows 10 home and what the gently caress why did Microsoft think "clean install" means to include loving Candy Crush and a poo poo ton of other shitapps that I'm never going to use? Is there really no way to do a barebones install with no added bullshit?

Only with an Enterprise license. By the way, if you remove those, they get pushed down automatically. You need to block them via local GPO.

Yeah it's hosed.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

Only with an Enterprise license. By the way, if you remove those, they get pushed down automatically. You need to block them via local GPO.

Yeah it's hosed.

And if you have Win 10 Home, there is no local GPO :)

Maybe you should just give up and play Candy Crush

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
By Microsoft Decree, Candy Crush joins the pantheon of Windows bundled games, along with Solitaire, Minesweeper, and the pinball game they borrowed from Maxis.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Segmentation Fault posted:

By Microsoft Decree, Candy Crush joins the pantheon of Windows bundled games, along with Solitaire, Minesweeper, and the pinball game they borrowed from Maxis.

I feel like Ski Free is due for a comeback.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Or just remove it and get on with your life.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Or just remove it and get on with your life.

You remove it, it'll be pushed back down by MS within days.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hasn't happened on my laptop which runs Home, nor my desktop which has Pro but I didn't monkey with any GPO anything. I know, "works for me", but I just wanted to put it out there that not everyone has the poo poo pushed back down to them.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

GreenNight posted:

I did a power shell thing I found online:

Get-AppxPackage -allusers | Remove-AppxPackage

Which got rid of everything. Are you telling me it'll all come back when I do a Windows update or whatever?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

New super slow Solitaire can get hosed, though. Nothing exemplifies how bad apps are on win10 like the ms card games app.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

ilkhan posted:

New super slow Solitaire can get hosed, though. Nothing exemplifies how bad apps are on win10 like the ms card games app.

New Solitaire seems fine to me.

New Calculator can get hosed though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

GreenNight posted:

I removed it when I did this most recent fresh install (October?), it has not reappeared :shrug:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

I saw people upset about the new calculator before. What's the problem with it? It seems no better/worse than the old one. Just a different skin, really. Well, plus it also has some conversion stuff which could be handy.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Which got rid of everything. Are you telling me it'll all come back when I do a Windows update or whatever?
The next time they push out a quarterly upgrade (not an update, which happen weekly/monthly) and it does the whole "installing windows" thing, yeah, they will all come back.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

hooah posted:

I saw people upset about the new calculator before. What's the problem with it? It seems no better/worse than the old one. Just a different skin, really. Well, plus it also has some conversion stuff which could be handy.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Half the time it will also just stop doing copy/paste.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I've had it inexplicably not load a few times on systems with entirely different hardware configs. It just hangs then needs to be closed and reopened. It's a loving calculator, there shouldn't be a significant load time with an SSD.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It also appears behind my other windows 99% of the time and won't accept keyboard inputs unless I click the number field. I can't simply hit the calculator button and type. gently caress that calculator app.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

It also appears behind my other windows 99% of the time and won't accept keyboard inputs unless I click the number field. I can't simply hit the calculator button and type. gently caress that calculator app.

I ended up writing an AHK script to launch calculator then force it on top. Unbelievable

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What pisses me off about WinRT is that it's sensitive to security settings and what not, and should anything in the system get hosed up ever so slightly, all WinRT apps instantly stop working. I suppose if you're trying to copy-protect Store apps that have been bought, it's one thing, but the system apps run within the same sandbox bullshit and get affected, too.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

New Solitaire seems fine to me.

New calc is basically fine since they made it not take 30 seconds to load and allowed multiple windows, even if it does occasionally pick a random location to load to (and honestly I think this is more my jumping resolution and dpi settings around so much, not windows itself).

New solitaire take 30 seconds to load and is still a pain in the rear end.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Re: Calculator - WinAero's got you covered.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Haha, apparently whatever URLs you surf in the private mode of Edge turn up in the regular browser history. Just tried it before posting this. Jesus loving Christ, I hope this sort of incompetency doesn't happen in the kernel group.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Is Windows 10 out of beta yet?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Are the complaints about the calculator from a pre-release build? I just started using Windows 10 at work and haven't had a single problem with it.

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

Haha, apparently whatever URLs you surf in the private mode of Edge turn up in the regular browser history. Just tried it before posting this. Jesus loving Christ, I hope this sort of incompetency doesn't happen in the kernel group.

That is fixed in the latest insider build.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Woooo, the insider builds. Assuming there'd be anyone serious about using Edge, he'd have to wait for the Redstone release to get this fixed? Which is what, a couple of months away?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I love you.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Combat Pretzel posted:

Woooo, the insider builds. Assuming there'd be anyone serious about using Edge, he'd have to wait for the Redstone release to get this fixed? Which is what, a couple of months away?

Mid-year, I think?

They need to have extensions ready to go by then or no one will care.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Last Chance posted:

absolutely not, in fact it is better described as being in charlie

i am really looking forward to the Redstone update though. even if it does have a pretty terrible name

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Also yeah they need to stop naming all their poo poo after their shattered gaming dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Last Chance posted:

Officially, "yes".